Saints Pre Season Thread

Mallagroth

not sure what your point is?

international football is very different to the premier league

hence why john bosejour looks brilliant for chile yet crap for wigan.

Bryan Ruiz was terrible for Fulham for years and excellent at the world cup

Came on at half time for Fulham the season before last at St Marys and changed the game. best player on the park by a mile that day.

Forster, Virgil, Redmond, Ings + 1 more left/centre back (don't think we have a hope of Rojo) and I will be v. happy.

Yep. Im at the stage now where anybody who doesnt want to be here can happily **** off as long as we get full price for them. No-one cant be replaced.

deffo a 433

looked good in most parts in the 1st half but actually created little (or nothing) for Pelle

looking to get it forward quicker and wider more

JWP looked good in a 3 in the middle

Fonte looked good

targett was OK

what we have though, is an appalling lack of depth. Lovren is as good as gone, I make that TWO CBs we need with a LB, GK, Wide player and ST

we have a huge amount of money to get that.

their subs tonight looked better than ours

Absolute nonsense, Cork, Reed, Gallagher and McQueen were light years better than their nonentities !!

Absolute nonsense, Cork, Reed, Gallagher and McQueen were light years better than their nonentities !!

so why did they look better.

what did gallagher do tonight?

reed was OK. still dont get all the fuss

McQueen was lively but so were their subs

Thoughts are -

Boruc - 7 did well when called upon but only had one save to make

Clyne - 7 Some good runs down the right and kept his side watertight, just needs to be a bit quicker with his decisions, he can shoot and should do it more often

Fonte - 8 Solid game, but needs a partner

Yoshida 5 looked mediocre and let the B'mouth strikers get in behind too often and his distribution wasn't the best

Targett - 7.5 Very solid game, I'd like to see the attacking side of his game a bit more, only hit two crosses, there's more to come from him.

Davis - 6 kept things flowing, wasn't that noticable

Ward-Prowse 7.5, very good game, starting to really mature and will hopefully flourish this season, his maturity shone tonight.

Ramirez - 7.5 very creative tonight, dictated the tempo, looked a force in a middle three with the freedom to get forward when needed

Isgrove - 8 - Played above his ability tonight, but shone and fought for everything and won every header, he'll improve as well. Very determined and is deceptively quick.

Tadic - 7, great assist but was in and out of the game at times. Looked very classy at times

Pelle - 7.5, very good touches and link up play. Looks more mobile than Lambert, shame our deliveries couldn't get the ball to him more often. He's a force who will win us games this season.

SUBS

Cork - 6, was a bit shaky I thought, but some interceptions

Reed- 6.5, looks like another version of Jack Cork, very clever little player, but I'd like to see him push up a bit more

Mayuka, 4 awful

Gallagher 5 - wasn't really involved at all

Hoitveld - 6, solid but didn't have much to do.

McQueen - 7, looks a good prospect, some nice bits of play

Tactics, lined up with a 4-3-3, players still getting used to the system and each other. The Lallana/Lambert and Shaw trio were a huge part of how we played and our identity it will take a while until we're firing again, but glad to see we're looking solid at the back and in the middle of the park.

Thoughts are -

Clyne - 7 Some good runs down the right and kept his side watertight, just needs to be a bit quicker with his decisions, he can shoot and should do it more often

Yoshida 5 looked mediocre and let the B'mouth strikers get in behind too often and his distribution wasn't the best

Targett - 7.5 Very solid game, I'd like to see the attacking side of his game a bit more, only hit two crosses, there's more to come from him.

Ward-Prowse 7.5, very good game, starting to really mature and will hopefully flourish this season, his maturity shone tonight.

Ramirez - 7.5 very creative tonight, dictated the tempo, looked a force in a middle three with the freedom to get forward when needed

Isgrove - 8 - Played above his ability tonight, but shone and fought for everything and won every header, he'll improve as well. Very determined and is deceptively quick.

Tadic - 7, great assist but was in and out of the game at times. Looked very classy at times

Pelle - 7.5, very good touches and link up play. Looks more mobile than Lambert, shame our deliveries couldn't get the ball to him more often. He's a force who will win us games this season.

SUBS

Reed- 6.5, looks like another version of Jack Cork, very clever little player, but I'd like to see him push up a bit more

Mayuka, 4 awful

Tactics, lined up with a 4-3-3, players still getting used to the system and each other. The Lallana/Lambert and Shaw trio were a huge part of how we played and our identity it will take a while until we're firing again, but glad to see we're looking solid at the back and in the middle of the park.

Clyne's final ball and decision making still let him down.

Thoughts are -

SUBS

Mayuka, 4 awful

Seems like you decided on those marks before watching the game -if you watched it, that is.

encouraging (only a friendly though) in that another clean sheet. And we still have Morgan and Victor to come in, plus hopefully 2 new CBs and another Lb and striker and GK.

Not as easy on the eye as last year though....but hopefully we will create more chances than last year - and put them away

Thoughts are -

SUBS

Mayuka, 4 awful

Agree with most of that but would add:

Boruc: poor distribution, needs competition.

Tadic: Think he will light up our side this year.

Ward-Prowse: needs to offer more goal threat.

Edited by Goatboy

Victor is absolutely key to playing this way. Midfield will get ripped apart in Prem if Gaston is one of a three.

Yep, but with VW/Morgan to come into the team, Tadic/Ramirez/Pelle/JWP/Steven Davis etc.+signings is starting to look like an exciting attacking unit.

Thanks for taking the trouble but I can't really follow those links at the moment as I'm on my phone.

All I remember is a lot of faffing about outside the box and taking an eternity to work a position.

those links say that we did create a lot of chances. literally a couple less than arsenal

Because it was very enjoyable to watch and i don't find the new direct approach as good.

Maybe it won't be as disappointing as i fear or maybe we'll be so successful playing that way that i'll accept the loss of aesthetics.

I think with what we have at the moment we are doing as well as we can - I was quite pleased with how we played with what we have left - we need more creativity though and someone closer to Pelle - if we can get Ings or keep Jay think we will be ok.

I thought Bournemouth were poor how many chances did they create considering they are a week ahead of us?

McQueen out on loan will do him wonders.

Loved the possession and pressing of last season. Think the new formation and style is going to disappoint me somewhat. If it gets results though guess i'll accept it.

Possession didn't seem to get us anywhere though. I got sick of being regularly mugged by teams who just ran down our end and scored.

Possession didn't seem to get us anywhere though. I got sick of being regularly mugged by teams who just ran down our end and scored.

well, it did

we failed to score them

remember the middle of the season, when lambert looked terrible. remember games like fulham at home when we missed so many.

liverpool at home etc

lallana was good for a scuff straight at the keeper

Because it was very enjoyable to watch and i don't find the new direct approach as good.

Maybe it won't be as disappointing as i fear or maybe we'll be so successful playing that way that i'll accept the loss of aesthetics.

What direct approach? We passed it around plenty tonight? You think that is "direct" football?

I'd disagree it got us up to 8th in the league and plenty of games we won because we kept hold of the ball. Our failure to take chances was an issue as was our lack of depth and later in season lack of strikers.

ok, so if thats the side that plays at anfield on the opening weekend then we will get utterly butt ****ed imo. for that reason we will clearly sign at least 4 players before the start of the season. i cant believe anyboard however inexperienced would think that squad is good enough to compete. i am utterly comfident we will see a differnt side come then liverpool again.

Well I don't think those stats show we created loads and missed loads, don't they more show that we converted a fairly proportional amount of chances?

It looked to me we were still keen to retain possession in the main, just maybe take a few more risks with the ball at times, we'll see how that goes, fair enough change of approach.

Just on way home from a pretty competitive friendly. Decent first half with Gaston and Tadic showing quality and composure on the ball.

However, we had no threat in behind at all apart from Clyne who was excellent. Oh how we miss the Jay Rod runs to stretch a defence and create space for others.

Pelle looked a handful and very strong but our crosses for him were poor.

Isgrove took his goal well and was lively off the ball and chasing down defenders but didnt really run at them when he had it.

Central defence was worrying at times with a number of simple balls down the channels catching out Yoshida.

Centre mid did well on the ball with JWP in particular spraying some great crossfield passes but a bit lightweight without a ballnwinner with none of Cork, Morgan or Vic in there.

Boruc's kicking utterly woeful throughout.

Second half we werent as good and barely threatened the goal. Thought Cork looked frustrated, he hacked a man down a couple of times and hit a terrible shot and didnt seem his usual self and missed a chance to impress.

No real impact out wide second half and as soon as Hooiveld came on we seemed more edgy at the back. He really is clumsy and generally a hoofy oaf. Centre back a massive area to improve because teams will expose us there.

Gallagher couldnt keep the ball at all and hasnt really put forward a case to be anything more than an occassional sub.

Jack Stephens impressed me in a midfield holding role and Reed looked tidy but by then we had no real threat in the team.

Targett did ok but wasnt overly tested and didnt do anything of note going forward. Clearly composed, but PL ready? I couldnt say based on that.

Mayuka won't do anything at Saints apart from post lots of Instagram photos.

Overall, a good test and we won, played ok and were at times a class above Championship opposition. However, its pretty clear our squad is thin (see bench options) and to have any designs on getting around the top 10 or 12 we need some additions pretty quickly to replace the quality we lost.

Didnt look like a side that will score a lot of goals particularly, but tidy enough at times.

Signings have become of greater importance now than the friendlies - everyone pretty much did what they usually do.

Well I don't think those stats show we created loads and missed loads, don't they more show that we converted a fairly proportional amount of chances?

It looked to me we were still keen to retain possession in the main, just maybe take a few more risks with the ball at times, we'll see how that goes, fair enough change of approach.

well, they show that we created the 8th most in the league with only a couple behind arsenal

so, we created chances. lots of, it seems

Just on way home from a pretty competitive friendly. Decent first half with Gaston and Tadic showing quality and composure on the ball.

However, we had no threat in behind at all apart from Clyne who was excellent. Oh how we miss the Jay Rod runs to stretch a defence and create space for others.

Pelle looked a handful and very strong but our crosses for him were poor.

Isgrove took his goal well and was lively off the ball and chasing down defenders but didnt really run at them when he had it.

Central defence was worrying at times with a number of simple balls down the channels catching out Yoshida.

Centre mid did well on the ball with JWP in particular spraying some great crossfield passes but a bit lightweight without a ballnwinner with none of Cork, Morgan or Vic in there.

Boruc's kicking utterly woeful throughout.

Second half we werent as good and barely threatened the goal. Thought Cork looked frustrated, he hacked a man down a couple of times and hit a terrible shot and didnt seem his usual self and missed a chance to impress.

No real impact out wide second half and as soon as Hooiveld came on we seemed more edgy at the back. He really is clumsy and generally a hoofy oaf. Centre back a massive area to improve because teams will expose us there.

Gallagher couldnt keep the ball at all and hasnt really put forward a case to be anything more than an occassional sub.

Jack Stephens impressed me in a midfield holding role and Reed looked tidy but by then we had no real threat in the team.

Targett did ok but wasnt overly tested and didnt do anything of note going forward. Clearly composed, but PL ready? I couldnt say based on that.

Mayuka won't do anything at Saints apart from post lots of Instagram photos.

Overall, a good test and we won, played ok and were at times a class above Championship opposition. However, its pretty clear our squad is thin (see bench options) and to have any designs on getting around the top 10 or 12 we need some additions pretty quickly to replace the quality we lost.

Didnt look like a side that will score a lot of goals particularly, but tidy enough at times.

Signings have become of greater importance now than the friendlies - everyone pretty much did what they usually do.

SC you do wind me up sometimes but that really made me lol!

ok, so if thats the side that plays at anfield on the opening weekend then we will get utterly butt ****ed imo. for that reason we will clearly sign at least 4 players before the start of the season. i cant believe anyboard however inexperienced would think that squad is good enough to compete. i am utterly comfident we will see a differnt side come then liverpool again.

Calm down.....FFS.

This is the same side that nearly did one over Liverpool last season in the FA Suarez and very strong Liverpool side.

I think we looked very comfortable and where in control of a match against a side that like to play football..... The side we have now is still a lot stronger then the squad we had when we came back into the premier league

well, they show that we created the 8th most in the league with only a couple behind arsenal

so, we created chances. lots of, it seems

Not in proportion to the amount of possession we had though. We created the 8th amount of chances and scored the 8th highest number of goals, so on that basis we didn't waste anymore chances than anyone else.

Loved the possession and pressing of last season. Think the new formation and style is going to disappoint me somewhat. If it gets results though guess i'll accept it.

It was a friendly, therefore it was never going to be super entertaining - tell me a friendly you've ever watched that has been great on the eye and a 'classic'?

Ah the quintessential english appraisal. God knows how many talented players would have been wasted if they were english. Messi and Xavi wouldn't have stood a chance.

Come come, if you are making some sort of far fetched analogy with those two players and Gaston it is little wonder you fail to notice that Gaston is not up to the. Premier League... Your appraisal of Gaston is bordering on fantasy.

Calm down.....FFS.

This is the same side that nearly did one over Liverpool last season in the FA Suarez and very strong Liverpool side.

I think we looked very comfortable and where in control of a match against a side that like to play football..... The side we have now is still a lot stronger then the squad we had when we came back into the premier league

well thats not even worth a response, in fact actually im sorry but both comments are utter ********