CONFIRMED - Steven Caulker - DONE DEAL (loan)

washsaint

so, we cant compete with QPR now?

It's a pretty tight choice. QPR probably will go higher on wages, because they are mental, not because we can't compete.

HR will be persuasive and if he is the kind of person to be swung by a phone call from Rio Ferdinand you can see them playing that card. Plus he joins the London set alongside the players from the other London clubs. There are reasons to join QPR, which are understandable but also don't mean we all need to start wailing at the moon about us not being able to compete.

There are loads of compelling reasons to join Saints as well.

Let's see which way it goes. Centre back in a pretty woeful team last year: I'd get over it.

its a case of what they would pay caulker

we pay a striker £60k a week to do what he wants at the mo

So is paying high wages a good or bad thing? You're once again risking tying yourself in knots when you can't quite work out what point you're trying to make.

Cardiff's defence was ****e last season despite having Marshall in goal who was excellent and Medel sat in front of the back four who is a good player.

Is Caulker that good, or were the other defenders really that ****e?

Cardiff fans didnt rate him that highly - that’s a fairly big indicator

However he's young, English and guaranteed to improve under RoKo

So is paying high wages a good or bad thing? You're once again risking tying yourself in knots when you can't quite work out what point you're trying to make.

it is THE thing in the premier league these days, it seems

Can we compete with QPR? The answer is actually probably "no". They seem to have taken scant regards of FFP rules (are they actually going to be punished for last year?) and have run up huge debts. We haven't. Article from 4 months ago: http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/mar/06/qpr-debt-177m-report-premier-league-relegation

Twitchy setting up his brown paper bags with over the hill players will require a large amount of transfers to take place. Rosie aint gonna feed herself.

Can we compete with QPR? The answer is actually probably "no". They seem to have taken scant regards of FFP rules (are they actually going to be punished for last year?) and have run up huge debts. We haven't. Article from 4 months ago: http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/mar/06/qpr-debt-177m-report-premier-league-relegation

They should be expecting a fine up to £47m for their breach of FFP regulations. I doubt they'll get forced to pay it though, a couple brown envelopes stuffed with used notes will make those charges get lost in the system.

Players, outside the very best, will go where they think they can get the most ££ and Caulker will be no different

There is a current BPL striker, in great demand, who's agent is saying that the player wants an £80k basic plus bonuses. They want that confirmed before they'll even talk to the club(s).

Be a shame if we are beaten to a player we want by a promoted side but their bid has been on the table ages and they havent done it yet.

I reckon we'd be a better career move for the lad, but QPR of course will pay him absolutely whatever wage he cares to ask for. Tricky decision!

I think he'd be a cracking addition to be honest. Ignore last season, he was quality when on loan at Swansea a season or so back. He will be an England international before long, but you just feel that the presence of Rio at QPR will likely get him to move there.

I reckon we'd be a better career move for the lad, but QPR of course will pay him absolutely whatever wage he cares to ask for. Tricky decision!

Good summary and probably right. Also they will big up the chance to learn off Ferdinand.

Redknapp is persuasive unfortunately. He would be a decent buy at that price, has PL experience that we lack a little and also improves the English quota again.

Good summary and probably right. Also they will big up the chance to learn off Ferdinand.

Redknapp is persuasive unfortunately. He would be a decent buy at that price, has PL experience that we lack a little and also improves the English quota again.

Rio has plenty of experience but you get the feeling that anyone playing in the Premiership with Ferdinand nowdays is going to spend an awful lot of time covering his lack of pace. He is not the player he once was by a long way.

They will, but it must be on his mind that he's just moved to a promoted side and been relegated, missing out on the england squad despite a poor set of options overall at CB.

In football terms saints would be a far better bet. Playing with ferdinand is not something enticing now, it's playing with someone who was very poor last season and getting slower all the time.

I suppose you could compare it to playing guitar alongside the slash... Just not what it used to be!

Windows is alright, rightly venting some fury rightly directed at the board! HELLO.. half the team want to leave and all we say is "top price top price"

How about NOT FOR FECKING SALE you morons.

Saint Charlie on the other hand, has turned in to a boring repetitive idiot.

My only reservation with Vlaar replacing Lovren - now that Lovren's exit looks done and dusted - is he 5 - 6 years older. In the WC games I saw he was colossal; also showed a great eye for a pass out of defence, and seemed to be left footed but comfortable with his right.

My only reservation with Vlaar replacing Lovren - now that Lovren's exit looks done and dusted - is he 5 - 6 years older. In the WC games I saw he was colossal; also showed a great eye for a pass out of defence, and seemed to be left footed but comfortable with his right.

Playing alongside Caulker...........:D

Would playing for Ronald Koeman not be as big a draw for any up and coming defender, to learn off a former Barcelona and Dutch international and captain centre-back? I personally don't buy the Rio factor.

Edited by St Jim

If all we have done is match the buy out price that QPR have offered surely the answer is simple. Offer more. If Lovren goes the club should do the same to get Vlaar, or whoever else would be an adequate replacement.

I would imagine the sticking point could well be the wages rather than the asking price.

I can't see any player with daily access to british press stories wanting to come to Saints. Because of the 'exodus' stories and the jokes it will be seen as a bad PR move by their advisors not to mention the actual worry for the player of it being true that the club have no ambition. Alternatively these players will join a newly promoted side who will pay big wages with a manager the media are in love with. OUr best bet is to continue going now for players in the Dutch league and use the Koeman factor. Get out the massive wallet of money we now have and get someone really special in.

Edited by Mallagroth

I can't say for sure but would think that newly promoted sides are statistically more likely to get relegated in their first season. QPR scrapped their way to promotion and dont look a good bet to stay up to me. Southampton have consolodated their Premiership status, have excellent facilities, ambition (yes, ambition), a decent manager and one of the most talked about acadamies in football. Despite the negative stories we are still an attractive club. We will sign players and eventually all of this nonsense will blow away and we will get on with the business of wniing football matches.

I can't see any player with daily access to british press stories wanting to come to Saints. Because of the 'exodus' stories and the jokes it will be seen as a bad PR move by their advisors not to mention the actual worry for the player of it being true that the club have no ambition. Alternatively these players will join a newly promoted side who will pay big wages with a manager the media are in love with. OUr best bet is to continue going now for players in the Dutch league and use the Koeman factor. Get out the massive wallet of money we now have and get someone really special in.

Nonsense, IMO.

If anything, this summer shows we are an excellent choice for players with ambition. Come here and do well and you will probably get a shot at a Top 4 club and loadsa money. You also have good international prospects.

Relegation scrap with 'Arry more attractive? You're having a laugh.

He plus Ferdinand is consoderably better than any partnership we can put out at the moment IMO, even considering Rio's age.

You say "at the moment", but Saints haven't sold Lovren or accepted a bid for him and he is still a Saints player. So I'd prefer Lovren and Fonte over Caulker and Ferdinand.

You say "at the moment", but Saints haven't sold Lovren or accepted a bid for him and he is still a Saints player. So I'd prefer Lovren and Fonte over Caulker and Ferdinand.

Ok. Obviously I mean without Lovren who at the moment isnt playing for us and will move clubs this summer.

We are very weak at centre back.

Ok. Obviously I mean without Lovren who at the moment isnt playing for us and will move clubs this summer.

So that isn't "at the moment" then. Lovren won't leave if we don't get an acceptable bid and so far we haven't. If/when he does leave do you honestly believe we won't sign a replacement?

Nonsense, IMO.

If anything, this summer shows we are an excellent choice for players with ambition. Come here and do well and you will probably get a shot at a Top 4 club and loadsa money. You also have good international prospects.

Relegation scrap with 'Arry more attractive? You're having a laugh.

What abut a relegation scrap with Koeman?

No guaranties we'll be safe all season, as things stand.

So that isn't "at the moment" then. Lovren won't leave if we don't get an acceptable bid and so far we haven't. If/when he does leave do you honestly believe we won't sign a replacement?

Christ. Lovren will leave this summer.

When he does we will sign a replacement. That might be right at the end of the window after a few games.

Whoever we sign will probably not be as good as Lovren.

Hooiveld isn't PL quality and Yoshida borderline for me. Fonte was poor the first year but better last year when playing alongside a top centre back.

I think we need two because of the three we have who look likely to stay there are too many question marks. The likes of Hammond, Chaplow, Richardson all were rightly let go, yet Hooiveld has managed to hang around and is set for his third PL season despite being proven inadequate in both the previous ones.

CB is a key position. IMO we are really short of depth and even with a good signing we are an injury & suspension away from a horror show at the back.