CONFIRMED - Steven Caulker - DONE DEAL (loan)

washsaint

He is a decent player and I welcome him to the club.

That said he made some horrific mistakes last year and averages about 1 tackle a game (according to whoscored). That isn't that impressive. But I think with big Vic and Classie in front of him to give him some protection he should do a lot better then he did at QPR. Its a no gamble signing and adds to the squad depth. He has the potential to be a very good player imo.

The Brazil v England game in the 1970 world cup is still the best international match I have ever seen. Would have liked to have seen the 1970 Brazil v the 1974 Dutch, what a game that would have been !!

Aboslutely! I will always remember that amazing save by Banks from Pele - was convinced he had scored. And the tackle on Pele by Moore. Perfect timing. The respect that both teams had for each other really came through at the final whistle too. People keep banging on about Brazil but in those days they, and the Dutch, took football to another level.

I'm not adverse to this signing at all, it adds real depth and quality to the centre back positions - genuine competition. The loan deal makes sense, he's not worth the £8m or so they want for him, and we also have Gardos as a long-term option...so a loan deal to see how he does, whilst covering the Gardos injury, is incredibly sensible.

His last 2 clubs have been utter shambles from top to bottom. At Cardiff you had the mentalist chairman and racist management, not exactly an environment to thrive. At QPR you had Redknapp, nuff said.

I'd personally read more into his time at Swansea. I see them as a very similar club to ourselves in how we conduct ourselves, coach, play football etc. He was incredibly impressive there and that's why I have the up most confidence that surrounded by quality coaching and very good quality players, he will show a lot more than he has in the last 2 seasons.

The guy has great potential, it adds to our home-grown quota and it's a loan - and we're still getting another CB. A very sensible bit of business.

Decent low risk signing, he looked quality when he first broke through and if we signed him a couple of years ago people on this site would have been queuing up to sing his praises. He's gone a bit backwards since then but hopefully this move will reinvigorate him and we will see the player he could still be come out of him. Still hoping he is only one of two DC's and that Celtic are just delaying letting us have VVD but I already feel more confident about the defensive situation!

I'm not adverse to this signing at all, it adds real depth and quality to the centre back positions - genuine competition. The loan deal makes sense, he's not worth the £8m or so they want for him, and we also have Gardos as a long-term option...so a loan deal to see how he does, whilst covering the Gardos injury, is incredibly sensible.

His last 2 clubs have been utter shambles from top to bottom. At Cardiff you had the mentalist chairman and racist management, not exactly an environment to thrive. At QPR you had Redknapp, nuff said.

I'd personally read more into his time at Swansea. I see them as a very similar club to ourselves in how we conduct ourselves, coach, play football etc. He was incredibly impressive there and that's why I have the up most confidence that surrounded by quality coaching and very good quality players, he will show a lot more than he has in the last 2 seasons.

The guy has great potential, it adds to our home-grown quota and it's a loan - and we're still getting another CB. A very sensible bit of business.

Great comments, totally agree.

Surely we are still looking for another CB?

After Caulker, we still seemingly want ''2 or 3'' more.

Another CB and another DM are what its seemingly likley, the 3rd is probably a bonus one if the opportunity comes up. But 2 more additions look quite likely.

Think this is a great signing. A player with a lot of potential who has lost his way a bit. Good opportunity for him to kickstart his career again, I think he will be looking to become first choice so will be good competition. if we don't get VDV it won't be the end of the world. If we do though we'll be looking solid defensively.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Excellent, another nimble move by SFC! Gardos injury was not planned, replacement not budgeted, main targets not yet acquired. BlackBox to the rescue!!, and out pops another beauty! Caulker! perfect! enough doubt about the player to get a good price and the doubters on their pulpit. The BB doesn't take the easy road. If this one turns out to be another career making moment for a player then we must all bow the the mighty BB team. With Gardos injured and no longer able to prove if he was first XI material, we draft in a replacement to kick his tires, test him out, give him a chance to prove he can be a part of this team, even England if he has the belief. But the loan means we have other ideas that were being executed.

The replacement of Turncoat Toby (the ***** shafted us! and RK! and taught LR and the negotiating team a lesson on contract execution. We had a clever plan in place, only for the player to stab us in the back, there is no contract that can force honesty in a player ) is I hope a 12mill player that we were willing to spend on Terd.

VVD looks like the first choice, exciting player, but we have to be patient as Celtic has CL. Not good for the faint of heart because we could get him very late. We have had good relations and fair trade with Celtic, they drive a hard bargain, but are trustworthy. If by some chance we miss out or this is not our first choice (he is!) then that approx. 12 mill can get a Quality CB, but we will have to watch in terror as the Negotiating team enact plan b or even c late in the game. To many good promising CB in the world in our price bracket to not have an exciting player come in. This is the Big One they promised to get, lets see how they deliver, then judge after u see them play. With Caulker it gives us a safety net to have no fear in CB negotiation.

I am more intrigued by the tease from SFC that if a very special player becomes available, we will be interested. I was hoping this is after the VVD or CB purchase. This I hope is the real transfer of the season. I think each year we pick a few targets from the BB that are perceived too good for us, make an inquiry and see if we can pull of a world shocker late in the transfer frenzy. It was wishful thinking, but maybe this year is different, maybe our stature is high enough now to tempt them to join.

Man this is going to be an exciting year, teams are pulling new talent in from around the world, ours look good so far. RK chance to stamp his way of playing style, with his team. The pressing game that poch relied on to improve our results slowly faded out in the first half of last season. Will RK modified press and quicker attack show itself this year. This year it is his team and his philosophy on how to win games, I look forward to learning how he unfolds his master plan to have this team reaching beyond its perceived place in the league.

After Caulker, we still seemingly want ''2 or 3'' more.

Another CB and another DM are what its seemingly likley, the 3rd is probably a bonus one if the opportunity comes up. But 2 more additions look quite likely.

sounds good.

hopefully, 1 is VvD. It probably will be.

I would also hope that we would get in another tough CM type

Funny, last season people were quite keen for him to come to us. Different story this season after his woeful season at QPR but if anyone can get the best out of him and get him back on track it's RK. He was strongly linked with Liverpool only a couple of season ago. I was beginning to think he was out to try and beat Nigel Quashie's record for being relegated with different clubs. ;-)

Presumably not eligible for EL 3 Qualifying Rd, so would have Stephens and/or Turnbull on bench for these. Is he eligible for Play-off round? I know the squad list gets resubmitted for the group stages. Also gives us an extra association trained player when he does become eligible.

Good signing on loan obviously to cover for Gardos being out most of season, covers anything that might happen to Jose, still need left sided CB to replace Toby, presumably this will be VVD.

I totally agree. Caulker on loan for a season with an option to buy seems like a far better business decision than James Chester for £8m. If anyone can get his career back on track it's Koeman. I can remember talking to some Spurs fans who thought letting him go to Cardiff was a crazy decision.

Well, this came out of the blue. Very pleased, lots of potential, but let's hope he isn't costing too much in wages.

Caulker has at least had experience fighting a relegation battle.

I like you dalek.

You make me laugh :)

If we do go for another CB as first choice partner to Fonte, is Caulker or yoshida going to be third choice? I can't imagine he would be satisfied coming here as fourth choice, even if only on loan.

I don't really see either position as third or forth choice, we will potentially play a hell of a lot of games this season, so all of our CB's will get some significant game time across all the competitions. He hasn't been bought in here as a starter, but he will get game time.

In that case then we should have gone balls out for him as soon as those terms expired then.

If my understanding of the chronology is correct, Toby had already decided he wanted to move to Spurs *before" said expiry date...

Problem is, if we sign another CB, and a DM, we won't have any obvious areas to strengthen or moan about! Which is a worry as fans bloody love signings

Fret ye not... People will moan about the fact there is nothing to moan about.... :)

If my understanding of the chronology is correct, Toby had already decided he wanted to move to Spurs *before" said expiry date...

Of course. If I was Toby Alderweireld there is nothing Saints could have done to force me for signing for them. Nothing. He'd know damn well other clubs would want him, and pay him more, so was just a case of sitting tight and landing that lovely fat contract and be off on his toes, with SFC as a home-banker back-up. He played it perfectly, exactly how I'd have done it.

The idea that there was some "balls out" move that SFC could have done that would stop him reviewing his various options is no more than the gibberings of a fool.

In that case then we should have gone balls out for him as soon as those terms expired then.

Ah.

good signing overall, a loan so low risk to cover the slight gamble based on last season.

But he's 23 so should have his best years ahead of him, he's big, strong and quick so with the right tutoring and coaching to help improve his decision making he should be decent. Which he should get with an experienced partner in Fonte and a manager who was one of the best around in his position he has everything there if he has the work ethic.

Then if it all goes wrong well what have we lost? some wages.

Like I said slight gamble, are we getting the Caulker of Swansea/Spurs who earned an England cap or the error prone Caulker of the last season or so (I thought he did decently in what was a very bad Cardiff team).

Unfair I think to judge a player on a shambles of a relegation club like QPR, many a player I think would have struggled to have his best form there.

I'm happy with this signing, he's a decent player and now he'll be joining a stable club rather than one which is going to get exposed at the back and be fighting off relegation. We'll now see what sort of cb he can become.

A bit underwhelmed by this. Most stating on here that he is cover for Gardos, is this the Gardos who was not our first choice CB anyway and who only got a handful of games last season. Is Caulker any better than Yoshida? I suspect not which means he is probably cover for Yoshida which is worrying on two fronts.

I was hoping we would bring in someone of similar ability to Toby and not someone who has been part of a couple of disastrous seasons.

Hope I am wrong but this smells a bit of budget cutting.

A bit underwhelmed by this. Most stating on here that he is cover for Gardos, is this the Gardos who was not our first choice CB anyway and who only got a handful of games last season. Is Caulker any better than Yoshida? I suspect not which means he is probably cover for Yoshida which is worrying on two fronts.

I was hoping we would bring in someone of similar ability to Toby and not someone who has been part of a couple of disastrous seasons.

Hope I am wrong but this smells a bit of budget cutting.

You utter helmet. :mcinnes: