CONFIRMED - Steven Caulker - DONE DEAL (loan)

washsaint

Have to say I've not been impressed with Caulker in the last two years. He was not helped by the coaches and the defenders around him, both unstable and constantly changing at Cardiff and QPR. He certainly has not progressed as he might have done since his time at Spurs - I think his concentration and awareness is currently questionable, but he should have the attributes to be a decent player. He certainly would have a lot to prove after the last two years, maybe with the calm head, leadership and experience of Fonte he could develop into a good player - he didn't learn much from experienced defenders at QPR however, though most of them were no longer good enough for the Premier league. Would be a risk but at least he would be used to the Premier league standard and should take less time to get used to the pace of the game etc, which can be difficult for foreign players at times who take time to settle into the new country, league etc

Excellent.....because I caught that complete **** of a moron that is Adrian Durham on the radio yesterday laughing that we were thinking of signing him after having been relegated twice in the last 2 seasons. If Durham think's he will be useless, I suspect that he'll turn out to be OK.

I seem to remember him doing well at Cardiff but having a bad season last year.

I had a season ticket at Yeovil Town when he made his debut season on loan there. It was clear that even at 17 he was miles ahead of the standard (albeit league 1) and would go on to make something of himself. Sadly he has made abominable careers choices in joining two utter disasters of football clubs in Cardiff and QPR, so his stock has gone down somewhat. That being said he is still young enough that, with the right guidance, he can still be a good premier league defender. I think that if he's seen as initially a rotation/backup defender with the view to unlocking his long term potential, we'll have done well

Well I really hope that's not it, or we don't now sign a 4th choice too. Still not sure what money we actually have to spend really.

If its a loan for this season I imagine it's because the club has identified he has potential, but clearly hasn't reached it the last couple of seasons, if we can unlock that potential this season great we buy him up if not we have taken a chance with minimal outlay. Has similarities to the Bertrand deal last season to me.

Well I really hope that's not it, or we don't now sign a 4th choice too. Still not sure what money we actually have to spend really.

You would think we still have quite a bit to spend on a defender going by how Les Reed said we were offering just as much as Spurs for Toby. So, you have to assume we still have the money to go for a 1st choice CB (e.g. VVD).

My only issue is the fact it is a loan. Just hope we have a secure option to purchase this time.

Caulker's made a couple of bad moves but is still young and talented and British.

Strange that QPR wouldn't have held out for a straight fee deal.

I think its because we hold a good hand here for once - his stock has fallen a bit lately so not many willing to gamble that much money.

We have a need he meets that in short term until Gardos is back or as cover for anyone of centre backs in cups.

Experienced, big, strong decent in air and alongside Jose could rediscover form he had at Swansea and Spurs

VvD is target number one.

Brilliant and this news from one of our known and respected ITK's... Just got to land him now... Come on Qarabag you can beat them!

As for Caulker, I hope he proves all my previous posts about him being slow in pace and slow of thought wrong...

Would be a more than adequate squad player.......I expect possibly to more signings.

Pulling out the stops for Virgil will be all important.

I can see us having a superior squad than last season.

Of course,that is imperative due to the demands of the coming season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know you can't prove everything with statistics, but I didn't think Caulker was that bad last season, in spite of the players he was playing with. So I went to Whoscored.com to have a look at how he has got on from their point of view. Here is his performance from the last season:

2014/15 (QPR):

Fonte 46th (best player in the Prem overall)

Stones 57th

Caulker 59th

Alderweireld 90th

I think people are giving him quite a hard time in all honesty, and under Fonte's tutelage I think he may do a decent job for us, especially in a defence that gets shielded as well as ours.

Edited by Unbelievable Jeff

Think we still need another, preferably VVD, but very happy with this.Always liked Caulker at spurs and thought he looked quality for team GB - as others have said he looked dross last year but then who wouldn't playing in QPR's chaotic backline!

I remember when Straschan arrived and his first signing was Paul Williams from Coventry and if my memory servs me right everyone back then like what the f**k but he turned out to be an OK player for Saints - so Im keeping my positive hat on and says that this guy will be a good defender to have in the team.

Some people on here are so snobby "not good enough for us" etc etc

He's coming in as back up for goodness sake, back up ! Lets give him a chance, if he learns off of Koeman and becomes a top notch player then everyone will forget the "not good enough" tag!

Happy with this as a load with option to buy; gives him a chance to prove himself and dispel the bad memories of last season.

Still want a marque signing as first choice partner for Jose.

perhaps not necessarily a marque signing.

I would be most happy with a centre back who is comfortable with the ball at his feet in a similar vein to Toby, and Van Dijk seems to have that quality.

Caulker on the other hand, well I do hope he proves me wrong because I have never been overly impressed by him.

You would think we still have quite a bit to spend on a defender going by how Les Reed said we were offering just as much as Spurs for Toby. So, you have to assume we still have the money to go for a 1st choice CB (e.g. VVD).

I'd be careful in what Les Reed says following a cock up ;) His word ain't worth much, or did I miss Lambert in the squad last season, or Clyne lining up for us in Holland?

My only issue is the fact it is a loan. Just hope we have a secure option to purchase this time.

Caulker's made a couple of bad moves but is still young and talented and British.

Strange that QPR wouldn't have held out for a straight fee deal.

Baird

The only reason it is a loan . is to give hope to MOPO of signing him as a replacement next season

Toby is looking for pastures new next season . You heard it here first

Caulker buys us time as well as we can get VVD if still interested when Celtic go out

This is very true.

Simon Peach's article mentions an option for permanent move with an £8m fee mentioned. Decent fee if he turns out to be a success.