CONFIRMED - Steven Caulker - DONE DEAL (loan)

washsaint

I really wanted us to sign him when Cardiff got him then after a couple of awful seasons promptly forgot about him. He had talent and it's only a loan so I guess a Bertrand style deal, let's see if Koeman can bring back the player he was.

It seems there is no buy clause associated with the loan deal.

It seems there is no buy clause associated with the loan deal.

Which in it's self does seem to confirm that this is simply to cover the Gardos injury. He has an opportunity to put himself in the shop window and either we sign him up next summer, or we welcome a fully fit Gardos back to the squad and Steven goes elsewhere. Win-Win. A few years back I wouldn't have ever seen ourselves in a position to sign a player like Caulker as a squad player, that in it's self shows terrific progress.

A bit underwhelmed by this. Most stating on here that he is cover for Gardos, is this the Gardos who was not our first choice CB anyway and who only got a handful of games last season. Is Caulker any better than Yoshida? I suspect not which means he is probably cover for Yoshida which is worrying on two fronts.

I was hoping we would bring in someone of similar ability to Toby and not someone who has been part of a couple of disastrous seasons.

Hope I am wrong but this smells a bit of budget cutting.

I personally think that Caulker will be better than Yoshida.

Funny how a players stock can fall so quickly

He's young English and has potential, I think some people are forgetting how young he is especially for a premier league centre back.

He can't get any worse than he has been for QPR and I still think VVD is on his way so we will be sorted at centre back.

We've signed a centre back the day after Alpine told us that we didn't have a clue what we were doing about signing one. Looking forward to the annual 'with hindsight' climb down.

Judging from the timing with Chester's WBA and Caulker's Saints loan there was an element of us either negotiating with both, or Chester holding out until we definitely confirmed we weren't interested... so possibly we were talking with both of them whilst "not having a clue about signing one".

:mcinnes:

He was utter sh01te, but I am happy to give him the benefit of the doubt, at least until he doesn't get picked other than for the bench in the League Cup the whole time he's here. :D

Caulker is a pretty shrewd purchase, he's going to challenge Yoshida at worst based on his past, and at best could be another excellent player for us.

Bit worried about the number of players we might lose NEXT season (Stekelenburg/Caulker on loan, Fonte, Wanyama, Pelle maybe, plus Cedric if he stays as good as he's been so far and maybe Juanmi - then again for all of them to be off we'll have to have a hell of a season).

Edited by The9

Personally I really like Caulker as a player - people will talk about his record of late but he's played in 2 shocking teams at Cardiff and QPR which would make most players (especially defenders) look bad. I think he'll slot in nicely and develop with us, and tbh i'm not entirely sure we need another CB with Fonte, Caulker, Yoshida, Martina, Stephens, Turnbull & McCarthy in our ranks.

http://www.thisisanfield.com/2014/05/skrtel-vs-caulker-vs-lovren-complete-defender/

Only downer is we haven't an option to buy- dejan, Toby,Bertrand and now caulker

Huh?

People getting hung up on what was a totally non-issue.

and there are a few things wrong with your post...

1) - We signed Dejan, he was our player.

2) - We signed Bertrand on the pre-arranged £8m fee.

3) - Toby's situation has been gone over about 3503053050350350350 times.

Those WhoScored type rating are a pile of ****. Much like stats such as tackles per game. Good defenders don't need to make loads of tackles or clearances.

Some of their ratings are useful, but assigning ratings to defenders based on aerial challenges won and stuff like that is indeed completely missing the point. Doing the same thing for strikers is a bit more useful though. The science of scoring things that don't happen is not an easy one.

Their stats are handy though.

If we believe that us fans have a good eye for a player, it is somewhat disappointing to read thro some of the QPR forum comments.

Generally they are not too fussed about losing Caulker only the timing and the fact that he may be returned to them at some stage.

They understand the wages saving of approx. £2m per year but the consensus seems to be that Caulker is a bit error prone on the pitch and a bit of a drinker/troublemaker off it.

I do hope that this is not the case but, given the circumstances, I do hope he is a Gardos replacement rather than Toby's

If we believe that us fans have a good eye for a player, it is somewhat disappointing to read thro some of the QPR forum comments.

Generally they are not too fussed about losing Caulker only the timing and the fact that he may be returned to them at some stage.

They understand the wages saving of approx. £2m per year but the consensus seems to be that Caulker is a bit error prone on the pitch and a bit of a drinker/troublemaker off it.

I do hope that this is not the case but, given the circumstances, I do hope he is a Gardos replacement rather than Toby's

If that bit is even remotely true I'm fairly sure we wouldn't have signed him. We just don't.

If that bit is even remotely true I'm fairly sure we wouldn't have signed him. We just don't.

He has been involved in a few off field scrapes, but maybe being away from London will help him. I reckon the last two seasons will have been a wake up call for him, his career is in danger of stalling a bit at 23 years old. A couple of years ago he was a very good prospect, so hopefully he wants to knuckle down.

all similar players- out of favour with there clubs or having just come off an average season- nothing to do with the fact that we were buying or loaning them...caulker will get the TLC and training we are good at... End of season after playing well for us Liverpool will buy him from QPR

A low stake gamble. Know a few QPR fans who think he is an absolute liability. But clearly has talent from his past. Strangely think he may be another Osvaldo - clearly talented but can he integrate and can we get the best of him ?. We are learning though as it is just a loan

You utter helmet. :mcinnes:

Thanks for that, good effort but you do need to tidy up your debating skills.

I'll gladly eat my words if we still spend a bit of cash on a proven CB like we were prepared to do with Toby, but if that is it as far as the CB's is concerned there has to be a reason why we are not spending out on that position.

If that is it with Caulker on loan, Yoshida and an injured Gardos, we are in for a tough season especially if Fonte gets injured what with the extra games etc.

I'll gladly eat my words if we still spend a bit of cash on a proven CB like we were prepared to do with Toby, but if that is it as far as the CB's is concerned there has to be a reason why we are not spending out on that position.

If that is it with Caulker on loan, Yoshida and an injured Gardos, we are in for a tough season especially if Fonte gets injured what with the extra games etc.

But this clearly isn't the only centre back signing we are going to make. So your bawling looks idiotic...

Clasie is already being questioned despite many forumers saying the club should go balls to the wall to sign him.

Clasie looked pretty fricking effective against Feyenoord, some lovely early passes through the midfield lines - whether he can do that against players he doesn't know and at a Prem tempo, we'll see.

You utter helmet.

The posts on here reek of the thread when we signed Bertrand and look how that turned out.

I for one am delighted with Caulker. He's still young, has England experience but has just been in two sh1te teams over the last two seasons. I believe that under Koeman's guidance and along side Fonte, he could be a brilliant player for us this season. There's clearly a lot of talent there.

The posts on here reek of the thread when we signed Bertrand and look how that turned out.

I for one am delighted with Caulker. He's still young, has England experience but has just been in two sh1te teams over the last two seasons. I believe that under Koeman's guidance and along side Fonte, he could be a brilliant player for us this season. There's clearly a lot of talent there.

To be fair most of the comments since he signed have actually been positive. Just like me in fact, on Tuesday I thought he was utter sh*te but now I think he will be an England regular.

This.

Saints of the 90s were signing players from the lower leagues or Premier League teams' youngsters/back up players in the hope they would come good, a la Dryden, Evans, Neilson, Beattie. Caulker is a Premier League centre back, who has been playing regularly and is just 23. And... It's a low risk loan.

I'm reasonably happy with this transfer. Makes sense. Bring in VVD and we will be very strong at the back as we were last season. (Bertrand injury aside)

A lot of my mates are Rangers fans, some with over 50 years of watching them. They regard Caulker the same way we do Callum Davenport. One who thought we were certainties for top 8 has just put a bet on us being relegated. That's how bad he was last season, very different to what Villa fans said about Bertrand.

Personally I've always thought him very poor and can't understand this signing at all. Hope I'm wrong

At least you get a reaction on here if you don't brown nose with the masses.

BTW pot and kettle hypo, you state that clearly we are getting another CB, source?

Because we are still linked with other centre backs, because the people who know stuff on here have stated we are still in for other centre backs, because this is a temporary loan and is clearly cover for Gardos, because I have an iota of intelligence and can quite clearly see that we will get someone else in. Tell you what, how about if we don't get a centre back in, I'll give £30 to a charity of your choice and if we do then you do the same. Deal?

Caulker could turn out as the signing of the season. Two clubs paid £8m for him, he has played for England and for GB. He has numerous games in the Premier League. He is young, he is big and he is only 23. The move to Saints is a wonderful opportunity for him and Les says we have been tracking him for sometime.

Everything points to a very good player here, providing he grabs the opportunity now.