CONFIRMED - Steven Caulker - DONE DEAL (loan)

washsaint

Are we losing our players/losing out on players because we are not ambitious enough or that the wages we are offering are to low?

How many more times do we need to go through this?

Shaw, Lallana, Lambert (and it looks like Lovren) have all gone to 2 of the biggest clubs in World football; a better chance of Champions League games and a wage increase.

That is why they left.

MLG, I would give up. Or just answer "yes" to the question of are we offering wages that are too low. Compared to the likes of Liverpool and Man Utd, of course they are too low, but it seems that some on here are incapable of grasping simple economics.

If his wages are what people say they are, we've done well to steer clear of this one. Plus he's far from the finished product. Will learn from Ferdinand. Good signing for them, not much of a problem that we didn't get him.

Shaw, Lallana, Lambert (and it looks like Lovren) have all gone to 2 of the biggest clubs in World football; a better chance of Champions League games and a wage increase.

That is why they left.

It's not rocket science.

That is why they left.

Simplistic view of a complex situation. If this were the only reason then all decent players would have gone. Why is it that some players do not leave even when they could? Players look to leave when they are unsettled. But of you want to carry on with this simple view of how football works fine, simple views for simple minds I guess.

Simplistic view of a complex situation. If this were the only reason then all decent players would have gone. Why is it that some players do not leave even when they could? Players look to leave when they are unsettled. But of you want to carry on with this simple view of how football works fine, simple views for simple minds I guess.

Except MLG isn't talking about "some players". He's talking about three specific players, so it's you trying to simplify things with forum "what-about-ery".

Simple minds indeed.

I can't believe we've lost out on a player to ****ing QPR. This sums up what a mess we're in. Fair enough if you lose a player to a club who are pushing for a top 10 finish but QPR??? It's embarrassing.

If I'm honest I don't think he'll get relegated with them. I'm beginning to think his chances of being relegated would have been greater had he come to to us. Nothing I've seen shows any sign of us improving on last season. Let's face it, we're in worse shape than when we came up.

Can people actually read back over previous comments rather than whinging that we've lost out on Caulker and going into meltdown over the fact QPR have beaten us to this signing.

I'm going to say it just one more time to spell it out....

Saints were NEVER in for Caulker. We did NOT meet the release clause and did not even make enquiries. I know this for a fact.

Literally no need for this thread to remain open.

I can't believe we've lost out on a player to ****ing QPR. This sums up what a mess we're in. Fair enough if you lose a player to a club who are pushing for a top 10 finish but QPR??? It's embarrassing.

If I'm honest I don't think he'll get relegated with them. I'm beginning to think his chances of being relegated would have been greater had he come to to us. Nothing I've seen shows any sign of us improving on last season. Let's face it, we're in worse shape than when we came up.

What is embarrassing is to get all worked up over a player we were not apparently after.

Talksport reported that both Cardiff and Caulkers' representatives stated only one club enquired after him, QPR.

And it still took him several days to make up his mind. Arry must be losing his touch (or his agent was hoping someone else would come in for Caulker).

So, is it embarrassing or did we not want him?

Are you ok CS?

It's not embarrassing because he's really not that good, QPR are paying him way more than any reasonable Saints fan would want us to pay him, and we also didn't want him either.

In fact, this thread is a useful barometer of wettery.

It's not embarrassing because he's really not that good, QPR are paying him way more than any reasonable Saints fan would want us to pay him, and we also didn't want him either.

In fact, this thread is a useful barometer of wettery.

Which is what I was implying for Cestrian's benefit.

When is QPR's punishment coming?

There were reports they were in for a mega fine if promoted, rather than the transfer embargo in the championship. They've been an appalling example for years now and I was gutted to see them come up against a far better derby side who weren't gambling their financial future.

Have they just dodged all the punishments?

According to this, a £60m fine in January 2015.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2508505/QPR-face-record-fine-losing-80million.html

Fines for overspending, is like punishing fat people with Cheeseburgers.

Name an international class player who has turned down a move to a top 4 club in the last 5 years? I can't think of one, I wish people would get over this players left because of lack of ambition nonsense they have all gone for money at massive clubs no bull about aiming for the champions league would help!0

Name an international class player who has turned down a move to a top 4 club in the last 5 years? I can't think of one, I wish people would get over this players left because of lack of ambition nonsense they have all gone for money at massive clubs no bull about aiming for the champions league would help!0

Leighton Baines

According to this, a £60m fine in January 2015.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2508505/QPR-face-record-fine-losing-80million.html

Fines for overspending, is like punishing fat people with Cheeseburgers.

I am a little confused.....http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27538802

Are QPR facing a fine from BOTH the PL and FL?

Leighton Baines

We are at one, I suspect Everton smashed their wage ceiling and he blew his one chance of a mega move so probably inspired our want aways. Baines will finish his career at Everton wandering if he could have made it at the highest level and earned the mega bucks.

i dont believe for a second that no club has been sniffing around Ross Barclay. He would command huge wages. yet, dont see him coming out pining for a move

I don't think he's been a regular for long enough yet, to command the sort of commitment and large fee.

Give him a year and he'll go for £30m or so.

If his wages are what people say they are, we've done well to steer clear of this one. Plus he's far from the finished product. Will learn from Ferdinand. Good signing for them, not much of a problem that we didn't get him.

More likely he will be bailing the slow, ponderous Ferdinand out of the clack.

I don't think he's been a regular for long enough yet, to command the sort of commitment and large fee.

Give him a year and he'll go for £30m or so.

That's my view too.

Anyway, I'm not too fussed about Caulker. Firmly believe we can do better.

i dont believe for a second that no club has been sniffing around Ross Barclay. He would command huge wages. yet, dont see him coming out pining for a move

Which one of our players "came out and pined for a move" before it was common knowledge that bigger clubs had made firm enquiries?

If Man City suddenly rocked up with a £30m bid for RB, then we'll see what happens. Likely the same result as Rodwell, Lescott and Co. With Baines the only exception that anyone can come up with.

It's likely, as with Shaw last year, that he is simply being "monitored" right now.

Which one of our players "came out and pined for a move" before it was common knowledge that bigger clubs had made firm enquiries?

If Man City suddenly rocked up with a £30m bid for RB, then we'll see what happens. Likely the same result as Rodwell, Lescott and Co. With Baines the only exception that anyone can come up with.

It's likely, as with Shaw last year, that he is simply being "monitored" right now.

Like Caulker (thank god we weren't in for him - now that would have shown a lack of ambition) Baines is NOT an international class player as his dsplays last season and in Brazil so clearly showed.

Based on his performances for Everton I thought he was the best choice for LB. Sadly it all went pear shaped but he wasnt the only one who didnt perform as well as you'd think. I still think he is a decent LB but that Shaw will overtake him very, very soon.

• 1 year later...
People ITK, is this our main CB signing or a Garros replacement?

Depending on the answer this is good or a huge step down.

Surely cover for Gardos, why else would we sign him on loan? He was ok at Spurs and Swansea but pretty poor at Cardiff and QPR though I'd be surprised if those moves weren't more to do with £££'s than football.