Morgan tweet - wow

whelk

"The players bought into his vision, wholeheartedly. So much so, that at least one leading Southampton player has a clause in his contract that links his own future to Cortese's. The worst case scenario for the club is that manager follows chairman and players follow manager"

And who wrote the contracts and agreed what would go into them? Wouldn't be Cortese would it?? :rolleyes:

I think the board rules are that we can't keep unhappy players, there's no point. But if we sell them it's disgusting and the club is a shambles.

Rule 2 is we want statements from the club as to what is going on. But when we get statements no one believes what is said and the board can't be trusted.

We need to say 'no' but when we say 'no' If the player creates in any way then we are run by a bunch of idiots who have only said no so they don't look bad when the player Is sold.

And the final rule is non of this would have happened of cortese was here, but if it did it's be great business and part of some incredible strategy.

err this really. Most people seem so angry they casn't even put together a coherent whinge. It's basically got to the point were they are going to be angry with the club no matter what happens.

"The players bought into his vision, wholeheartedly. So much so, that at least one leading Southampton player has a clause in his contract that links his own future to Cortese's. The worst case scenario for the club is that manager follows chairman and players follow manager"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25755711

To me that suggests that Cortese was telling them a whole bunch of bullish!t about reaching the Champions League to get them to sign in the first place (as we thought)- which is why we are in this situation now.

Players don't give a sh!t who the chairman is, wether it's an Italian dwarf or a Canadian Ice Hockey coach doesn't matter - it's what the club is prepared to spend (ambition in footballer's terms) that is the only important thing.

But as Smirking Saint will tell you, it's not aboput money. They're moving because...(fill in with rubbish as appropriate)

I'm starting to wonder whether Cortese, as well as promising CL football, also promised outlandish payrises to go with it. The whingy players complaining about the 'project' not being completed are really on about their bank balances

That was Luke Shaw.

How do you know this? Were there any others? And was that because of the link between Cortese and Stellar - rumoured to be asking all of the younger players to sign up with them?

Jeff I don't think you know what you're talking about.

How have the players looked fine? Most, if not all, have come out of this terribly. Until recently, there was plenty of sympathy for the board's position; the criticism has arisen largely from their handling of things. However, the Chambers sale which almost everyone universally agrees was unnecessary (except you), has triggered alarm bells.

And I think you talk utter **** as well, so why don't you stope replying to me and I'll stop replying to you? Deal?

Most, if not all? We have sold Lallana, Lovren, Shaw, Lambert, Chambers. How many have been blamed on the players, and how many on the board? If most (4 of 5), then why are the board being rinsed in this way for one player?

Plenty of sympathy? Please. People have been wanting to jump on them from very early on, even from the appointment of Krueger et al.

And as I have said many times I was disappointed by the Chambers sale, so you obviously haven't been reading my posts properly, again.

Krueger - what a fool. If you are "guarenteeing" that a player will stay you need to let them know first.

Situation makes us look even more stupid than yesterday before any of those interviews.

End up with fans hating a good guy who just wants to progress his career having seen others less justified being allowed to go.

Yes, agree. The worst part of this is that fans' view will be polarised between (1) supporting the club for finally putting a stop to the exodus, and (2) supporting the player who has been dignified *****il now) and waiting for his name to be called to get his move.

I think I'm actually with Morgan on this. We can't stop Morgan going now if his heart is set on moving. What 'win' is it for the club to have a disenchanted player on our books.

And as I have said many times I was disappointed by the Chambers sale, so you obviously haven't been reading my posts properly, again.

How about its a **** load of money for someone who's played 20 times in the top division and we already have a better RB.

:mcinnes:

To me that suggests that Cortese was telling them a whole bunch of bullish!t about reaching the Champions League to get them to sign in the first place (as we thought)- which is why we are in this situation now.

Players don't give a sh!t who the chairman is, wether it's an Italian dwarf or a Canadian Ice Hockey coach doesn't matter - it's what the club is prepared to spend (ambition in footballer's terms) that is the only important thing.

26-20062014081243.jpg

[/b]

Yes, agree. The worst part of this is that fans' view will be polarised between (1) supporting the club for finally putting a stop to the exodus, and (2) supporting the player who has been dignified *****il now) and waiting for his name to be called to get his move.

I think I'm actually with Morgan on this. We can't stop Morgan going now if his heart is set on moving. What 'win' is it for the club to have a disenchanted player on our books.

at the end of the day if he was promised the move as long as someone came up with an acceptable sum of readies which may even have been defined in advance and then

the rug was pulled out from under it because of the mass exodus then the player has every right to be miffed. If he can prove that it was a given that he could go then it may even come down to the law courts, proof would probably be hard to find though.

[/b]

I'm firmly supportive of the board's decision to finally stop the dominoes falling. I'd prefer a stroppy Morgan than sending signal for more sharks to start circling the club, the next cadre of players agitating to join the exodus and Saints being laughing stock of the leagues marginally above Blackpool.

I know, Um. Was one of my probably too subtle pi ss takes of forum thinking.

You're not here often enough to pick up on it these days.

Basically you are never more than twenty posts away from someone making the same points about Suarez and/or Everton.

Sorry CB, as you say not on here much so misread your standpoint.

When a player like Shaw is getting wages that make Chelsea wince, then you know we had no chance of holding on to him (no matter how ambitious we say we are!!!).

[/b]

Tend to agree, but I would be inclined to keep our priorities in acquiring players first and foremost and then we deal with Morgen's move if a suitable offer is tabled.

He will have to wait his turn!

I'm firmly supportive of the board's decision to finally stop the dominoes falling. I'd prefer a stroppy Morgan than sending signal for more sharks to start circling the club, the next cadre of players agitating to join the exodus and Saints being laughing stock of the leagues marginally above Blackpool.

Besides that it will make signings easier. Who wants to join when there is a queue of players at the exit.

St Charlie as usual you are being over dramatic

You may think that Krueger is a fool , I'm of the opposite opinion.

As for Morgan. He is the one player I do want to stay . Yes he has been loyal and unfortunately he has become the victim as the club get tough following all those mercer nary *****s that have left apart from Rickie

The club is far more important to me than want away players .

Nobody will hate Morgan and again you are being over dramatic saying fans will hate him

We won't , well at least in my case I will not , I do despise lovren and llallana and chambers

They will get at least one of them though, Morgan will do everything in his power now to force a move Imo and once that happens Jrod will have very few reasons to stay

I Still can't believe any club would bid for Jrod in his current state hell of a gamble when there are fit players out there.

:mcinnes:

Following me around again? What about these f u c k wit?

Exactly this. Still disappointed that Chambers is leaving.

Poor decision selling Chambers, bad call from the club there.

Was always going to be an issue keeping Clyne and Chambers happy, but I'd expect that to really come to a head next pre-season and not this one. I guess Chambers doesn't want to sit on the bench for a large chunk of the season, but still very, very bad timing from the club.

Don't disagree with this. Disappointed.

I will be disappointed if Chambers leaves but I'm not sure there is much we can do. If any team in the top 4 wants any player from outside it, he will go. Can't think of too many examples where this hasn't happened.

Just a few examples for you.

I Still can't believe any club would bid for Jrod in his current state hell of a gamble when there are fit players out there.

As long as the injury has been correctly repaired it will be of no handicap to him. Think he's progressed pretty well and is already back in light training.

I'm starting to wonder whether Cortese, as well as promising CL football, also promised outlandish payrises to go with it. The whingy players complaining about the 'project' not being completed are really on about their bank balances

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26813363

You mean "Southampton: New board says financial situation 'difficult'"?

"Hofstetter spoke as Southampton published their annual results for the year ending 30 June 2013 - their first back in the Premier League.

The club posted a net loss of £7.1m and will enter the summer window owing £27m in outstanding transfer fees.

A bill in excess of £30m is also pending for their new training ground.

Previous chairman Nicola Cortese resigned in January, with Ralph Krueger replacing him. Hofstetter joined the board at the same time.

"Whilst I perceive that we have inherited a difficult situation financially, there are now clear and structured plans in place to progress the club and avoid a similar situation from occurring again," Hofstetter said in a statement."

Ralph's comments yesterday suggest this "plan to progress the club" involved selling lots of players who they knew were likely to want to leave anyway, without actually asking them to leave.

St Charlie as usual you are being over dramatic

You may think that Krueger is a fool , I'm of the opposite opinion.

As for Morgan. He is the one player I do want to stay . Yes he has been loyal and unfortunately he has become the victim as the club get tough following all those mercer nary *****s that have left apart from Rickie

The club is far more important to me than want away players .

Nobody will hate Morgan and again you are being over dramatic saying fans will hate him

We won't , well at least in my case I will not , I do despise lovren and llallana and chambers

No, you're wrong saying no-one will hate him. Quite a lot of people I know already hate him based on that one tweet alone.

And I think you talk utter **** as well, so why don't you stope replying to me and I'll stop replying to you? Deal?

Most, if not all? We have sold Lallana, Lovren, Shaw, Lambert, Chambers. How many have been blamed on the players, and how many on the board? If most (4 of 5), then why are the board being rinsed in this way for one player?

Plenty of sympathy? Please. People have been wanting to jump on them from very early on, even from the appointment of Krueger et al.

Most have been blamed on the players and nobody has raised questions about the fees. But there have been questions regarding the timing of sales without accompanying transfer activity in the other direction and the continuing uncertainty around Fonte and Cork's contracts -to which Krueger's response yesterday added only more smoke and mirrors. You don't like what Adam Blackmore, a trusted journo, reports about a lack of leadership and direction, so everyone, including him, are somehow being played :lol:

You may have been disappointed by the Chambers sale; but you felt that the club was powerless to do anything about it. If there was one player we could have made an example of, it's probably him.

You want evidence that the club has been less than straightforward, posters point to Chambers mystery illness and you make an utter tit of yourself by drawing the most tortured and disingenuous distinctions. Others point to Krueger's remarks about not selling anyone before the appointment of a new manager (or at least without his involvement); yet Lambert is sold practically the next day. Your response: Koeman informally sanctioned it, even though at time a managerial long list hadn't even been drawn up :lol:

As I say, there was sympathy for the board's position, esp on the acrimonious Lallana and Lovren deals -one reason why some decent and timely signings would go a long to building some credibility. But it has to earn it.

Edited by shurlock

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26813363

You mean "Southampton: New board says financial situation 'difficult'"?

Ralph's comments yesterday suggest this "plan to progress the club" involved selling lots of players who they knew were likely to want to leave anyway, without actually asking them to leave.

Even though Hofstetter made it absolutely clear that these difficulties weren't so serious that they would require the sale of any players - a position Krueger continues to restate.

The9

Your correct there will be those that will hate him

But I do wonder what part the agents play in causing these problems

I don't, I think it's pretty clear that there's a particular way of getting someone to be able to leave and the agent will be advising how best to perform the exit strategy once the decision to go is made. Whether that still works when the club has already sold a pile of players and is drawing a line in the sand with an explicit statement remains to be seen.

Even though Hofstetter made it absolutely clear that these difficulties weren't so serious that they would require the sale of any players - a position Krueger continues to restate.

Krueger made it pretty clear yesterday that the silence over player sales was to guarantee the best prices. It was also (not very) clear that despite this being the stated plan, there was apparently no desire to sell players until they started wanting to leave.

It does sound like they were hoping to ride it out and keep everyone and then decided that after the players started geting itchy feet (without Cortese around to lie to them about how great they were and how much they'd make in bonuses) they would sell anyone they could get enough money for, before u-turning on possible Schneiderlin and Rodriguez sales after the frothiness of the response to selling Chambers (for Arsenal's 3rd highest fee of all time).

There is definitely a question in there about how much needed to be raised (considering not only guaranteed tv money but also in worst case scenario Parachute Payments) and at what point the sell-off because their preferred course of action.

Most have been blamed on the players and nobody has raised questions about the fees. But there have been questions regarding the timing of sales without accompanying transfer activity in the other direction and the continuing uncertainty around Fonte and Cork's contracts -to which Krueger's response yesterday added only more smoke and mirrors. You don't like what Adam Blackmore, a trusted journo, reports about a lack of leadership and direction, so everyone, including him, are somehow being played :lol:

You may have been disappointed by the Chambers sale; but you felt that the club was powerless to do anything about it. If there was one player we could have made an example of, it's probably him.

You want evidence that the club has been less than straightforward, posters point to Chambers mystery illness and you make an utter tit of yourself by drawing the most tortured and disingenuous distinctions. Others point to Krueger's remarks about not selling anyone before the appointment of a new manager (or at least without his involvement); yet Lambert is sold practically the next day. Your response: Koeman informally sanctioned it, even though at time a managerial long list hadn't even been drawn up :lol:

As I say, there was sympathy for the board's position, esp on the acrimonious Lallana and Lovren deals -one reason why some decent and timely signings would go a long to building some credibility. But it has to earn it.

My problem with Blackmore was that he had the opportunity to ask RK about his accusations and didn't, hence making me think it was bullocks turns out he was just a wimp. The interview the other day was much better and I complemented him on it.

I actually backed down on the Lambert thing, and you know that, as an undated quote was used, so stop being a pr ick about it. Later down that thread I asked numerous other questions that are yet to be properly answered. In relation to the Chambers thing, people were ripping the board for being 'liars' far before that.

So I'll ask again, if most of the players have been criticised ahead of the board, then why are the board being rinsed in this way for one player sale, which I assume was Lambert?

Edited by Unbelievable Jeff

So are you saying he has handed in a request?

I'm pretty sure he hasn't and he won't, they just want to convey that he might, so that others who were interested are still interested, without losing the right to contractual bonus payments.

Given that the club has to agree a sale and holds his registration, I think he's screwed and should just shut up and get on with it until January. But then I thought that for Lallana and Lovren as well.

How can anyone hate Morgan?

I suspect it's more hate against the modern day footballer rather than anything personal. I do agree that going on peoples' social media and calling them a **** is somewhat unnecessary.

Great player for so long. He's seen his friends and to be quite honest, lesser players, move to big famous sides on mega money.

Irrelevant

Yes he can stay here and do well, earn lots, play for France probably. But it's a short career and I understand the motivation. He no doubt thought he was about to move.

It may be a short career but he is still young.

My problem with Blackmore was that he had the opportunity to ask RK about his accusations and didn't, hence making me think it was bullocks turns out he was just a wimp. The interview the other day was much better and I complemented him on it.

I actually backed down on the Lambert thing, and you know that, so stop being a pr ick about it. Later down that thread I asked numerous other questions that are yet to be properly answered. In relation to the Chambers thing, people were ripping the board for being 'liars' far before that.

So I'll ask again, if most of the players have been criticised ahead of the board, then why are the board being rinsed in this way for one player sale, which I assume was Lambert?

The board are being "rinsed" for allowing the players to get their own way. In ALL the transfers. The Chambers deal, which seems unnecessary even though it's a good transfer financially for us, was the tipping point where people realised literally anyone could go, it wasn't just the best players, it was also the young "for the future" right back who wasn't even starting half the time.

Then to draw the line in the sand prior to Rodriguez and Schneiderlin got people's backs up because it showed they could have done that previously for Lovren or Lallana. Damned if they do and damned if they don't now. Schneiderlin also became a bad guy because his response to being told to stay put was childish, egomaniacal, and also underlined that even the "nice" footballers who've been with you for ages are always looking at moving on if they get the chance. Had he not spouted off, I'm sure there would be plenty of people saying he's being harshly treated because we let X Y and Z go but not him. But he decided trying to force through a move was more important than any relationships he still had at Saints.

The board are being "rinsed" for allowing the players to get their own way. In ALL the transfers. The Chambers deal, which seems unnecessary even though it's a good transfer financially for us, was the tipping point where people realised literally anyone could go, it wasn't just the best players, it was also the young "for the future" right back who wasn't even starting half the time.

Then to draw the line in the sand prior to Rodriguez and Schneiderlin got people's backs up because it showed they could have done that previously for Lovren or Lallana. Damned if they do and damned if they don't now. Schneiderlin also became a bad guy because his response to being told to stay put was childish, egomaniacal, and also underlined that even the "nice" footballers who've been with you for ages are always looking at moving on if they get the chance. Had he not spouted off, I'm sure there would be plenty of people saying he's being harshly treated because we let X Y and Z go but not him. But he decided trying to force through a move was more important than any relationships he still had at Saints.

The board are now in a no-win situation I agree. Wish they could have appointed a proper Chief Exec/Chairman.

Then to draw the line in the sand prior to Rodriguez and Schneiderlin got people's backs up because it showed they could have done that previously for Lovren or Lallana.

...except that the transfer comittee, including RK had apparently agreed that we didn't mind losing Lovren & Lallana (see article on official website - "the five players who have departed this summer were allowed to do so “in the best interests of the club”), whereas Morgan & Jay Rod are players we wish to keep above all others.

Make sense to me. Lallana's attitude was atrocious and he was fairly easy to replace, Lovren may be less easy to replace, but RK seems confident he can manage that.

Morgan, on the other hand, is arguably the best player in his position in the league and couldn't realistically be replaced as even if we got top dollar for him, any suitable replacement wouldn't be interested in joing a non CL club. Jay Rod is our best striker. We don't have many strikers, and replacements would also be expensive and hard to attract (plus he might actually want to stay!).

How do you know this? Were there any others? And was that because of the link between Cortese and Stellar - rumoured to be asking all of the younger players to sign up with them?

It was reported - and Luke Shaw named - in the Sunday Times (three days ago). I'm surprised it wasn't picked up on here.

It was reported - and Luke Shaw named - in the Sunday Times (three days ago). I'm surprised it wasn't picked up on here.

unsurprising, he signed his contract last summer after the occasion where Cortese considered leaving, lack of investment plans being given as the cause.

A decent agent for a young player would probably preempt any change of road map in the clubs plans with a release clause for the player.

Morgan is a decent and extremely sensitive person. All the crap appearing today is based entired on him tweeting last evening. " 6 years of an amazing journey #saintsfc DESTROYED in 1 hour !!!"

Who would not be upset, return to their room after a hellish day and post something like this. Naturally he feels disillusioned. He needs time to calm down, and reflect on his situation. We don't know the reasons he was given for being refused a move and it may be something none of us know about. Maybe his words reflected his own thoughts on the present disaster he saw before him at the club.

One thing that may have been behind the so called bad financial situation may have been promises made to players in their contracts by Cortese. There may have been salary increases, bonuses way beyond what the club could afford. New contracts seem to have been given and signed by some after keeping the club in the Premier League. Cortese may have waved huge incentives under their noses if we qualify for Europe, but also promises of release if we didn't.

I can't see Morgan playing tomorrow night but his presence with the squad may indicate the direction he's going. We have to stop believing all this phoney media crap that being feed to us everyday.

At one time posters on hear would ignore all media stories without actual quotes to back it up. Let's wait to listen to what Morgan actually does and what he actually says.

Morgan turned up at training today and hasn't requested a transfer.

unsurprising, he signed his contract last summer after the occasion where Cortese considered leaving, lack of investment plans being given as the cause.

A decent agent for a young player would probably preempt any change of road map in the clubs plans with a release clause for the player.

Only a player like Shaw could have pulled it off. Every other article was linking him with a move, even before he had signed a professional contract, so it would have been understandable if he had sought assurances. His dad's tweets after Cortese's departure suggests that the lad -rightly or wrongly- was pretty bound up with the project.

That video must be fake, all our players are unhappy and want to leave don't they?

Why would it be fake when posted on the official and verified account of Jose Fonte who tweeted it as a bonding video.