Morgan tweet - wow

whelk

unsurprising, he signed his contract last summer after the occasion where Cortese considered leaving, lack of investment plans being given as the cause.

A decent agent for a young player would probably preempt any change of road map in the clubs plans with a release clause for the player.

The 'decent agent' was also supplied by Cortese according to the same ST report.

For those who sympathize with Schneiderlin and point the finger of blame at the Board, let's not forget that Schneiderlin was actually the first of our core players to start talking about leaving for a bigger club. That was after he was questioned about Arsenal's alleged inquiry last summer. Apparently they talked a fee very similar to the one that Spurs have allegedly pitched at us - that's the Spurs managed by Pochettino, who was very close to Schneiderlin.

“Arsenal? I have a three year contract, then it will not be easy," he told RTL. "It is also my dream to one day play in a great club, so why not?”

It's not beyond the realms of possibility that Schneiderlin is not so much the victim of the current situation but one of the causes of it.

Sure, the Board have mishandled things (especially Reed IMO) but let's not lose sight of some key facts.

Only a player like Shaw could have pulled it off. Every other article was linking him with a move, even before he had signed a professional contract, so it would have been understandable if he had sought assurances. His dad's tweets after Cortese's departure suggests that the lad -rightly or wrongly- was pretty bound up with the project.

IIRC we were desperate to get him signed so may well have accepted odd clauses for a young player. Anyway we got a shedload for a player who, let us say, isn't the highest up my "next planetary star player" list. I think he's weak defensively and rushes into bad balls when going forward. Now he'll probably be a handy player when he polishes that out of his game but it won't be tomorrow or next week,probably not even this season.

How can anyone hate Morgan? Great player for so long. He's seen his friends and to be quite honest, lesser players, move to big famous sides on mega money.

Yes he can stay here and do well, earn lots, play for France probably. But it's a short career and I understand the motivation. He no doubt thought he was about to move.

My one problem is Spurs. Ok now they're ahead of us, but in terms of last season, we're not talking about much. If that's his only choice, then make him stay 1 season and say he can leave for a CL club for £25m. If he goes to Arsenal, fair enough and good luck to him, but Spurs?

Yep, and I feel the same about Lallana.

Feel for Morgan to some extent (as much as you can feel for someone being paid to take part in what we all pay money to obsess about) as he will no doubt want to do as much with his short career as he can and could conceivably win major honours, but as a serious business with an absolute need to stay in this division we have to say no for now.

For those who sympathize with Schneiderlin and point the finger of blame at the Board, let's not forget that Schneiderlin was actually the first of our core players to start talking about leaving for a bigger club. That was after he was questioned about Arsenal's alleged inquiry last summer. Apparently they talked a fee very similar to the one that Spurs have allegedly pitched at us - that's the Spurs managed by Pochettino, who was very close to Schneiderlin.

“Arsenal? I have a three year contract, then it will not be easy," he told RTL. "It is also my dream to one day play in a great club, so why not?”

It's not beyond the realms of possibility that Schneiderlin is not so much the victim of the current situation but one of the causes of it.

Sure, the Board have mishandled things (especially Reed IMO) but let's not lose sigh of some key facts.

According to the Molina article, he could have left last summer, suggesting something more concrete was on the table. He didn't, promised he could leave this season if a decent offer came in.

As it turns out, Morgan subsequently spoke about keeping the team together and making two or three additions to push for the top seven, so it seems that he was amenable to staying. Whether this was always wishful thinking is another matter.

:lol: art you crack me up.

Was that meant to be a yoke? :)

Here is the tweet with the original link

Simon Peach ‏@SimonPeach 1h

It is not all doom & gloom at #SaintsFC. Amazing teamwork in this Jose Fonte video:

IIRC we were desperate to get him signed so may well have accepted odd clauses for a young player. Anyway we got a shedload for a player who, let us say, isn't the highest up my "next planetary star player" list. I think he's weak defensively and rushes into bad balls when going forward. Now he'll probably be a handy player when he polishes that out of his game but it won't be tomorrow or next week,probably not even this season.

Yep. Point is he was very much the exception and I find it very unlikely that similar clauses would have been inserted into others contracts. At most, a player might have got a verbal assurance, as is reported in Morgan's case; but there was firm interest in him in a way there wasn't for other players.

Could the new players -Lovren, Wanyama- have had similar clauses as an inducement to join little, ole southampton? Possibly but I doubt it. After all, it wouldn't explain the way Lovren went nuclear.

Was that meant to be a yoke? :)

Here is the tweet with the original link

Simon Peach ‏@SimonPeach 1h

It is not all doom & gloom at #SaintsFC. Amazing teamwork in this Jose Fonte video:

Probably a good thing Lovren's gone as not sure the other players would want to play with him while he's in the nuddy.

Working with Pochettino and the players infatuation and respect for him will have been the driving force behind the signing of new contracts. They all had the chance not to sign and leave and never for a moment thought that Cortese or Pochettino would leave so soon.

I am certain once all the dust settles and we're back on an even keel the club will, in not already, have a full investigation and seek legal advice and most likely, if foul play has been involved, take legal action against those responsible. This is not over by a long chalk.

Probably a good thing Lovren's gone as not sure the other players would want to play with him while he's in the nuddy.
lol/ Think they'd be more concerned for that hot blooded and well bestowed Italian Pelle. Bet Luke Shaw doesn't know what he's missing. :) Can't wait to see who at United is beneficiary of Lukes cuddles and kisses.

Sure, the Board have mishandled things (especially Reed IMO) but let's not lose sight of some key facts.

Absolutely this. MS may tweet all he likes about 6 years destroyed in one hour, but I feel the same about him. I have really rated him and enjoyed seeing him grow and develop over 6 years, but right now he behaving like a spoilt child who forgets how very fortunate and well paid he is. Frankly the firmer the club are with him the better.

But as Smirking Saint will tell you, it's not aboput money. They're moving because...(fill in with rubbish as appropriate)

Im not having you believe anything you muppet just providing info, if others choose to blame the clear disruption in camp as players just trying to move on its up to you.

Carry on with the obsession though DPS its flattering

But Liverpool managed to fend off interest from Arsenal, a team on a par with themselves and perhaps not a team Suarez was that keen on. But when the real Big Boys came calling, he was off PDQ.

Everton are further up the relative pecking order, but still have failed to hold on to fellani, Rooney, Rodwell, Arteta, Lescott amongst others. They have managed to keep hold of Baines and Jagielka, but as we have seen Barkley signing a contract is no guarantee of a long term commitment.

And as for our buying record, over the last few years we used our position in the pecking order (& Liebherr's cash) to stroll in and sign players (Clyne,Rodriguez, Wanyama, Fonte, Lovren, Ramirez, etc etc etc). We've even used our relative position in the pecking order over the years to poach youngsters!!!! (Lallana, Walcott et al).

It's a really shttiy position we find ourselves in, but IMHO its the make up of the game and not our Club who are mainly to blame.

Whats that ? One a season or so for how long ?! Not over a short period of time

In memory aswell Ive not remembered so many players prepared to burn all bridges with the club and fans in order to force an exit. Aswell as talk of unrest. As I keep saying, its not necessarily the outgoings, its the manner of them

Im not having you believe anything you muppet just providing info, if others choose to blame the clear disruption in camp as players just trying to move on its up to you.

Carry on with the obsession though DPS its flattering

It is all about money. Adam's father at MU game asked Weston 'if you were a young lad offered double the money what would you do?' nicely setting the scene. It had previously been said by him to me at the Everton game, Adam and the players were happy, that it was all about the manager staying, needed at least 3 new players, giving the manager the money to do that. Very critical of Reed. Two weeks later it was the money.

It is all about money. Adam's father at MU game asked Weston 'if you were a young lad offered double the money what would you do?' nicely setting the scene. It had previously been said by him to me at the Everton game, Adam and the players were happy, that it was all about the manager staying, needed at least 3 new players, giving the manager the money to do that. Very critical of Reed. Two weeks later it was the money.

Cant it be both?

Pochettino was the keystone? I am surprised that the players are so shallow. They seem to have switched their allegiances to Pochettino from Adkins pretty easily, but most of them were off before they even knew who the new manager was going to be. Do you not think that the club and the incoming manager should have been given a chance, that is if it wasn't about money? Roll things back 18 months and you offer us Pochettino or Koeman as manager, and I think that we all know who we would have gone with, and maybe the players would as well.

Cant it be both?

I read into that, his agent had been tapped, however in retrospect unless it was the Gerrard/Lambert connection. No it seemed that had changed, trumped by the money. In the end the manager went anyway but then Koeman wasn't even given a chance by the players, who didn't follow Pochettino, but went for the money and status without the guarantee of being sure of playing. I wouldn't mind betting by November most of them won't even be starting.

They loved MoPo and he was/is a top top manager. Yet many of them refuse to give a legend of the game and more experienced manager a chance (Koeman). Either due to thier age, ego, ignorance or all 3. Oh and there is the money and the chance to play in 'big occasions'.

Notice Steven Davis is still here and wants to be here. Now there is a footballer with morals and a brain. Arguably our most consistant player too.

I read into that, his agent had been tapped, however in retrospect unless it was the Gerrard/Lambert connection. No it seemed that had changed, trumped by the money. In the end the manager went anyway but then Koeman wasn't even given a chance by the players, who didn't follow Pochettino, but went for the money and status without the guarantee of being sure of playing. I wouldn't mind betting by November most of them won't even be starting.

You need to take just one FACT into what you say. Koeman said that in his very first meeting with Reed he was told that Lambert,Lallana and Shaw would be sold. He was never given a chance on any of those 3. It's what he said, look it up on the OS. Now perhaps his English is lacking I've no idea but it's such a basic contradiction that it is a key to everything.

On losing Rickie Lambert, Luke Shaw and Adam Lallana…

The first meeting with Les Reed was open and clear. The information was clear about the squad, about the players and I knew at that moment [about] Lambert, Lallana, Shaw.

Read more at http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/news/article/11072014-talking-points-ronald-koeman-part-one-1745612.aspx#iXX5dr5XIqCXzKD1.99

Why is Reed being continually blasted when it would have been Rodgers who decided when we allowed pla\yers to leave. It's all about the fee that was paid. Had Rodgers been able to work out a financial agreement on the players contracts and convinced the players Reed would have been happy.

Why is Reed being continually blasted when it would have been Rodgers who decided when we allowed pla\yers to leave. It's all about the fee that was paid. Had Rodgers been able to work out a financial agreement on the players contracts and convinced the players Reed would have been happy.

You have a way of proving this I presume.

You need to take just one FACT into what you say. Koeman said that in his very first meeting with Reed he was told that Lambert,Lallana and Shaw would be sold. He was never given a chance on any of those 3. It's what he said, look it up on the OS. Now perhaps his English is lacking I've no idea but it's such a basic contradiction that it is a key to everything.

On losing Rickie Lambert, Luke Shaw and Adam Lallana…

The first meeting with Les Reed was open and clear. The information was clear about the squad, about the players and I knew at that moment [about] Lambert, Lallana, Shaw.

Read more at http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/news/article/11072014-talking-points-ronald-koeman-part-one-1745612.aspx#iXX5dr5XIqCXzKD1.99

Because they wouldn't stay not because we wanted to sell them. Adam threw his toys out of the pram when he thought we were holding it up. Shaw and Lambert for different reasons. Either way all except Lambert went for the money and I bet he did alright too.

Its not about football,its not about champions league,its not about the manager or the board....None of the players have left or want to leave because of these things,they want to leave because of the money,saints cant compete or are reluctant to compete wage wise with Liverpool,Manu,spurs,if you couple that with the fact that they have probably been told in no uncertain terms that they stand a better chance of holding down a regular international place away from us (which coincidentally improves their income streams through sponsorship,endorsements etc) then they are going to go.

As much as i would have loved saints to take a stance and prevent them from going by holding them to their contracts,it was never going to happen. Not much of a fight was put up to keep them so that tells me the board were happy to let them go,it could have been handled better and i dont think things are all rosy trying to get the players to replace them,IMO its been a bit of a right royal **** up and now they are trying to close the gate after the horse has bolted,reality has finally set in with the board but it is probably a bit late to rectify the problems we are going to have.

Even if we manage to keep Morgan and jay and maybe get 3 or 4 new signings it is still going to be a rough start to the season,its another wasted pre season,the whole shape of the team has changed,new players need to be bedded in and if we have a bad start confidence will dip and us lot will start to get edgy.

How can anyone hate Morgan? Great player for so long. He's seen his friends and to be quite honest, lesser players, move to big famous sides on mega money.

Yes he can stay here and do well, earn lots, play for France probably. But it's a short career and I understand the motivation. He no doubt thought he was about to move.

My one problem is Spurs. Ok now they're ahead of us, but in terms of last season, we're not talking about much. If that's his only choice, then make him stay 1 season and say he can leave for a CL club for £25m. If he goes to Arsenal, fair enough and good luck to him, but Spurs?

He signed the contract he should honour it. If he wants a move ask the club, put in a transfer request and accept their decision. What he tweeted showed him up to be a typical spoilt, arrogant t*sser footballer. He showed no respect for the club and it's fans.

Personally I think we should unload them both for top dollar, they will never be as good for us again. Live with that and move on unless they commit. It will also flush out if the offers are too low and unacceptable to us anyway.

Edited by derry

The problem isn't that we've lost players, it is that we've not been in control of the situation. When you think of how Saints have progressed over the last five years with largely the same core of players, some turnover was inevitable. However, the boards job was to massage that, spreading it over a couple of transfer windows (bribes, loyalty bonus, iron fist etc.)

I can only think that with the boardroom overhaul and inexperience in roles hasn't helped. Regardless of loyalty, I think the outcome would have been different with a certain Italian megalomaniac at the helm.

Sent from my RM-892_eu_euro1_227 using Tapatalk

I'm not so sure that you are right when you say we were not in control. Certainly I will grant you that it appeared that way and anyone could go as and when they wanted. But let's face it £55m for Shaw and Lallana is pretty phenomenal and even supporters of other clubs who show some objectivity would agree. Lovren pushed it and we didn't make it easy for him and it appears that we held out for what we wanted. Chambers - that's the odd one, but again £12m > £16m, despite any potential, for someone who has played 20 games is also pretty phenomenal.

The lack of communication I think gave the appearance of being out of control and therefore players, agents and other clubs took it to be that we were out of control. I would criticise the board for not speaking sooner, as that would have stopped further people thinking that they could just walk out (which still might happen) as well as the signing of players. I might be wildly wrong, but it seems now that we are unwilling to pay the inflated prices being asked seeing as everyone knows our situation. This is purely based on the lack of signings so is probably wholly wrong. But procrastinate for too long, and we will find ourselves in severe trouble.

I actually hope that there is still some honour in football and that if we need to loan players in, that Chelsea and Man City will help us out. I know that that is naive, but I have a funny feeling that they might, even if it is fake and they can take the moral high ground. Everyone knows that this is a bad situation for football in this country.

The problem isn't that we've lost players, it is that we've not been in control of the situation. When you think of how Saints have progressed over the last five years with largely the same core of players, some turnover was inevitable. However, the boards job was to massage that, spreading it over a couple of transfer windows (bribes, loyalty bonus, iron fist etc.)

I can only think that with the boardroom overhaul and inexperience in roles hasn't helped. Regardless of loyalty, I think the outcome would have been different with a certain Italian megalomaniac at the helm.

Sent from my RM-892_eu_euro1_227 using Tapatalk

That core of players, who were what you might call the first 11 last season, were Fonte, Morgan, Lallana and Sir Ricky. Two are still with us, one we were looking to replace last year, and one was dreaming of playing for Liverpool for over half the season.

I guess my point is that the team has been evolving, although currently is feels more like revolving.

That core of players, who were what you might call the first 11 last season, were Fonte, Morgan, Lallana and Sir Ricky. Two are still with us, one we were looking to replace last year, and one was dreaming of playing for Liverpool for over half the season.

I guess my point is that the team has been evolving, although currently is feels more like revolving.

Lovren wasn't part of that core then?

They loved MoPo and he was/is a top top manager. Yet many of them refuse to give a legend of the game and more experienced manager a chance (Koeman). Either due to thier age, ego, ignorance or all 3. Oh and there is the money and the chance to play in 'big occasions'.

Notice Steven Davis is still here and wants to be here. Now there is a footballer with morals and a brain. Arguably our most consistant player too.

You're exactly right that if they insist that they wished to leave because of some perceived lack of ambition when Pochettino left, that it doesn't ring true when we appointed a more high-profile manager than him. That they wouldn't even wait to see what they thought of Koeman, it was clear that they only left for the money. But that was what one would have expected in any event, regardless of the personalities of Cortese and Pochettino and their supposed Svengali influence on the players.

It would be really great if Koeman made his own team and got them firing on all cylinders and higher than Pochettino's team, and that at the same time the players who left find that their careers hit the doldrums and they spend large chunks of the season bench-warming, or even, please God, loaned out.

Good that Davis is happy with his lot. As you say, a true professional, the low profile team member who just quietly and efficiently goes about his business of making the team tick.

Lovren wasn't part of that core then?

Not part of the core that came through from league 1. He was part of that strong spine last year without a doubt, although I never felt he was quite as strong when he came back from that injury.

Its not about football,its not about champions league,its not about the manager or the board....None of the players have left or want to leave because of these things,they want to leave because of the money,saints cant compete or are reluctant to compete wage wise with Liverpool,Manu,spurs,if you couple that with the fact that they have probably been told in no uncertain terms that they stand a better chance of holding down a regular international place away from us (which coincidentally improves their income streams through sponsorship,endorsements etc) then they are going to go.

As much as i would have loved saints to take a stance and prevent them from going by holding them to their contracts,it was never going to happen. Not much of a fight was put up to keep them so that tells me the board were happy to let them go,it could have been handled better and i dont think things are all rosy trying to get the players to replace them,IMO its been a bit of a right royal **** up and now they are trying to close the gate after the horse has bolted,reality has finally set in with the board but it is probably a bit late to rectify the problems we are going to have.

Even if we manage to keep Morgan and jay and maybe get 3 or 4 new signings it is still going to be a rough start to the season,its another wasted pre season,the whole shape of the team has changed,new players need to be bedded in and if we have a bad start confidence will dip and us lot will start to get edgy.

Couldn't agree more.

For all the cyber warriors moaning, there is not one..... not one single one of us that wouldn't leave their job for 3 , 4 or 5 times the money.

Thing could have been handled better (IMO)but we are where we are and now we have to move forwards.

For all the cyber warriors moaning, there is not one..... not one single one of us that wouldn't leave their job for 3 , 4 or 5 times the money.

Not true. I was offered a job abroad for three times the money only last week and turned it down.

Couldn't agree more.

Thing could have been handled better (IMO)but we are where we are and now we have to move forwards.

But if we signed a contract to stay for 4 years could we just rip it up when we like...probably not

He will never play for Saints again. I'm convinced. No chance, just can't understand how badly we have managed our team.

For what it's worth, Sky have been reporting that all day - when it's actually false. Club, and people near to Morgan have denied it.

But Sky Sources win, I guess.

Who are Sky Sources?