Morgan tweet - wow

whelk

Morgan hands in transfer request.

Simple. Tell Spurs/Liverpool/Arsenal or whoever that the price for him is £30 million, non negotiable, money up front and a decent sell-on clause to cover when he moves on to Real Madrd/Barcelona. Take it or leave it.

Simple. Tell Spurs/Liverpool/Arsenal or whoever that the price for him is £30 million, non negotiable, money up front and a decent sell-on clause to cover when he moves on to Real Madrd/Barcelona. Take it or leave it.

Simple, Say his request is not accepted.

Krueger - what a fool. If you are "guarenteeing" that a player will stay you need to let them know first.

Situation makes us look even more stupid than yesterday before any of those interviews.

End up with fans hating a good guy who just wants to progress his career having seen others less justified being allowed to go.

I can't believe the lack of respect they are all showing Koeman,not one of them willing to give him a chance,the man is a footballing legend and could teach them a few things.

You would think we had put Mike Bassett in charge

I can't believe the lack of respect they are all showing Koeman,not one of them willing to give him a chance,the man is a footballing legend and could teach them a few things.

You would think we had put Mike Bassett in charge

as a player perhaps, certainly not as a manager. OK in Holland, failure in various degrees elsewhere. Anyway it's nothing to do with Koeman really.

Krueger - what a fool. If you are "guarenteeing" that a player will stay you need to let them know first.

Situation makes us look even more stupid than yesterday before any of those interviews.

How do you know he did not? Plenty of info to suggest that the club had a meeting with MS and his agent yesterday PM, before the media interviews.

No, he was spoken to and made aware before Ralf went live - 100% fact. What I'd naively assumed though, is that before going live witch such strong statements, that they'd actually got his commitment on the matter.

Club have played a blinder, fans will now blame Morgan and understand the clubs decision to let him go. I believe the saying goes...''We've been duped'' once again.

not a Python fan then Tim .

Monty Python isn't a bad subject to interject with at the moment, this could become another 60s/70s totty diversion to take our minds off the colossal carcrash presently wending its way towards us. Might I also suggest the Infinite Improbability Drive, where we end up winning the title?

What a mess! How do we expect anyone to join this circus?

Well you pay a lot of money, that's how it works in football, you sell your better players when they ask to leave because you've p*ssed them off and you spend all of the money you receive for new players of an equal or better standard, that's how you become a top club. You do not faff about bidding 3.5 million £ for an England keeper or a couple of mill for a Dutch international centre back. You pay the price as you expect other clubs to do with the players you're selling them.

IT's all well and good him handing in a Transfer request however whether a club will match what we want for him is another matter.

The world cup has killed us this year, players thinking they are better then they actually are!!!!

Benteke handed in a transfer request last summer; he went nowhere.

But this is only going to end up one way.

I want the club to be true to their word and stick by it.

As you said, Benteke wanted to go and also Luis Suarez last year. They both stuck around.

Benteke handed in a transfer request last summer; he went nowhere.

But this is only going to end up one way.

Should never have come to this in the first place. If you tell a player that he can leave if the right offer is received (wasn't someone saying only the other day Morgan? it's the same price as Shaw, Koeman again was it, but anyway we've had no offers) and then suddenly Krusty the clown speaks out in public with a nulle prosequi forced on to the club

by the sale of a young player no-one cares about anyway then shambles is the only word to describe the situation.

For the past 2 days The Times has written that there was an agreement by a group of so-called senior players that they would all leave the Club in the Summer.

Can you flesh that out, esp how many senior player which should let us know how many more are likely to go.

What's most to blame for Southampton's summer sales?

FFP 41%

Southampton Themselves 59%

Even the general public seem to think the club is to blame, what hope have we?

Well given that there were only two options, and our Chairman actually responded to the question "was it to meet FFP" on Sky Sports News with an unequivocal "no" yesterday, I'm impressed that there's so much support for the board out there.

If he has or hasn't isnt overly important. Its pretty damn obvious that he wants out, and that is still by far the most likely scenario.

The Tweet was akin to a transfer request and he said earlier in the summer that he would look to leave if the right option was there.

For the past 2 days The Times has written that there was an agreement by a group of so-called senior players that they would all leave the Club in the Summer.

If that is the case then that group of senior players are an absolute feckin disgrace, just who the feck do they think they are?

I think that group of players and their agents (who are mostly the same I understand) have played the media, fans etc BRILLIANTLY. They have engineered a situation playing on the boards naivety to try and make them look fine but the board look like liars and untrustworthy. It really has been very clever.

I think that group of players and their agents (who are mostly the same I understand) have played the media, fans etc BRILLIANTLY. They have engineered a situation playing on the boards naivety to try and make them look fine but the board look like liars and untrustworthy. It really has been very clever.

I must admit, it does seem as if an incredibly unhealthy environment has been allowed to grow over the last 3 or so years. Nicola Cortese's dream collapsing like a pack of cards, just like he said it wouldn't.

But I also think the board have handled every situation thrown at them this year with complete and utter failure. It could and should have been handled a hell of a lot better in my opinion.

Can you flesh that out, esp how many senior player which should let us know how many more are likely to go.

I was reading some of the old BBC articles from when Cortese left to see what portends of doom were hidden therein.

The link below contains a lot of Cortese love, but also the sentences "A presentation to the players in April last year did not ask if Southampton can win the Premier League, but how can they win it?",

"This was not an argument over transfer funds, wages or the need for investment. This was not a snap decision or a row that had flared up suddenly. Cortese was not tempted by offers from abroad or new challenges.

No, the dispute that ended his five-year spell at Southampton was about the sale of the club.

Nicola Cortese celebrated Southampton's promotion to the Championship in 2011

The problems began at the end of last season and although an uneasy truce was reached in May, by the time the season had begun, it was clear all was not well. Liebherr, who was left the club by her father Marcus following his sudden death in 2010, had no interest in Southampton and no knowledge of football - she wanted to sell the club.

Cortese was open to that, but his preference for a sale in two or three years was at odds with Liebherr's desire for an immediate sale"

and more worryingly re "player loyalty":

"The players bought into his vision, wholeheartedly. So much so, that at least one leading Southampton player has a clause in his contract that links his own future to Cortese's. The worst case scenario for the club is that manager follows chairman and players follow manager"

All in this one article from January...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25755711

I must admit, it does seem as if an incredibly unhealthy environment has been allowed to grow over the last 3 or so years. Nicola Cortese's dream collapsing like a pack of cards, just like he said it wouldn't.

But I also think the board have handled every situation thrown at them this year with complete and utter failure. It could and should have been handled a hell of a lot better in my opinion.

I think thats a bit harsh, you can't say for instance that the prices they got for the players was a complete and utter failure? Or the appointment of Koeman etc.

I was reading some of the old BBC articles from when Cortese left to see what portends of doom were hidden therein.

The link below contains a lot of Cortese love, but also the sentences "A presentation to the players in April last year did not ask if Southampton can win the Premier League, but how can they win it?",

"This was not an argument over transfer funds, wages or the need for investment. This was not a snap decision or a row that had flared up suddenly. Cortese was not tempted by offers from abroad or new challenges.

No, the dispute that ended his five-year spell at Southampton was about the sale of the club.

The problems began at the end of last season and although an uneasy truce was reached in May, by the time the season had begun, it was clear all was not well. Liebherr, who was left the club by her father Marcus following his sudden death in 2010, had no interest in Southampton and no knowledge of football - she wanted to sell the club.

Cortese was open to that, but his preference for a sale in two or three years was at odds with Liebherr's desire for an immediate sale"

"The players bought into his vision, wholeheartedly. So much so, that at least one leading Southampton player has a clause in his contract that links his own future to Cortese's. The worst case scenario for the club is that manager follows chairman and players follow manager"

Dejan...

One is linked to other. Cortrese controlled almost everything, so clearly when he went there was a huge leadership and management vaccum. It does take time to work out what is going on and get up to speed. When that learning period comes face to face with effectively a player mutiny because they arent getting what Cortese promised them - there was always going to be a car crash.

Oh, and re: the Transfer Request, well of COURSE it's not true, players don't want to lose loyalty bonuses so they no longer actually request transfers, they just get someone to leak the news that they've put in a transfer and then someone else to deny it, so it's out there, people question the player's intention without them being directly linked to the news, and are aware of his desire to leave without him actually having to do anything that would cost him money.

One is linked to other. Cortrese controlled almost everything, so clearly when he went there was a huge leadership and management vaccum. It does take time to work out what is going on and get up to speed. When that learning period comes face to face with effectively a player mutiny because they arent getting what Cortese promised them - there was always going to be a car crash.

Especially when Cortese was in no position to deliver what he promised either without spending vast wodges of Katharina Liebherr's money, and also only managed to get the team to 8th whilst telling them they could win the League (see quotes above).

If he has or hasn't isnt overly important. Its pretty damn obvious that he wants out, and that is still by far the most likely scenario.

The Tweet was akin to a transfer request and he said earlier in the summer that he would look to leave if the right option was there.

Not likeyou to see the negative Charlie. :)

That was Luke Shaw.

Oh, and re: the Transfer Request, well of COURSE it's not true, players don't want to lose loyalty bonuses so they no longer actually request transfers, they just get someone to leak the news that they've put in a transfer and then someone else to deny it, so it's out there, people question the player's intention without them being directly linked to the news, and are aware of his desire to leave without him actually having to do anything that would cost him money.

But as Smirking Saint will tell you, it's not aboput money. They're moving because...(fill in with rubbish as appropriate)

Jeff I don't think you know what you're talking about.

How have the players looked fine? Most, if not all, have come out of this terribly. Until recently, there was plenty of sympathy for the board's position; the criticism has arisen largely from its handling of things. However, the Chambers sale which almost everyone universally agrees was unnecessary (except you), has triggered alarm bells.

Edited by shurlock