Morgan tweet - wow

whelk

Yes. If you can't see the difference between the Lovren and the Schneiderlin situation you need to look harder.

You implied Morgan was similarly a mercenary. But yes, Schneiderlein should be displaying more loyalty to the club, you're right.

Edit: On second viewing, perhaps you didn't.

Edited by Donatello

The road you are suggesting is not a great one. I appreciate everything may not be rosey at SFC but to keep on letting players go just because they want to is insanity - there will be no players at SFC and therefore no club. My only regret in all of this is that SFC didn't send and keep to the message earlier.

Well it's true. The club failed to have a backbone when it came to those players, so it's hard for them to have one now.

You'd buy as you sold wouldn't you. Then you're in some kind of bargaining position with players coming in and out. That ship has sailed so venting hate at MS at this point seems unproductive.

I'm not venting any hate towards anyone. I just see it that the selling has to stop for the best of the club I love.

Yeah this basically. I don't think I would feel that about any other player but Morgan has given us six years service and been a model professional. It's not like chambers who has been here for 25 games. Hopefully they can sort out some compromise like Guan said.

They better not compromise or the next wave will smell blood and follow him. Board would be laughing stock of league if they roll over like whipped curs. Hold the line and let the spoilt brat cry and moan until he realises he'll need to play well to keep his suitors interested and his international place.

But the selling has to stop somewhere surely. Unfortunately for Morgan it's now and with him and J Rod.

Yes it does but firstly I think they only stopped it cos of the chambers outcry and secondly I think we should have been entitled to demand someone like lovren stay and not Morgan.

Complete Tosh. We threw our aces down the pan when we buckled over Lallana, Shaw, Lovren & Chambers within a couple of weeks. You may as well add Lambert to that... Ignore the PR bull sheeet "childhood dream, couldn't deny him a dream move blah blah blah". The club have messed up big time and going by Wreck It Ralph's interview he knows it, too.

Would always be an uphill task to keep the better pros after the first or two went; but the club could have taken steps to show a bit of direction and credibility. Getting players in would have been a start - instead we're putting in derisory offers and delaying action. Under other circumstances, this would have been fair game but in this case is contributing to the clusterf**k.

They better not compromise or the next wave will smell blood and follow him. Board would be laughing stock of league if they roll over like whipped curs. Hold the line and let the spoilt brat cry and moan until he realises he'll need to play well to keep his suitors interested and his international place.

The compromise should be selling him in January or next summer. It's going to happen and will be less damaging to us if it does.

This could get VERY interesting.

Small club with tons of money in the bank that can afford to sit tight and strike a blow for football fans everywhere - a blow against greedy players and plundering big clubs. It's just what the sport needs.

After what we've been though this summer, the support will come from all sides (other than some fans of the big clubs).

I think it will be Morgan's nuts in a vice rather than ours, and I hope to god we hold the line.

Have to agree with this post, the obscenity of huge wages is destroying the game with the top six clubs enjoying the benefits, whilst the rest of us just settle for premiership status, time to take a stand.

Yes it does but firstly I think they only stopped it cos of the chambers outcry and secondly I think we should have been entitled to demand someone like lovren stay and not Morgan.

Can't argue with that however today is where we are at and I in one way regret it's Morgan but we are where we are and to be honest like I say it has to stop somewhere.

Well just got in and found out about this tweet.

1st thing I said after the Ralph interview earlier was: "The question is what happens when J-Rod and Morgan say they want to go? (Like the others)"

The players really have got the club by the balls haven't they?

meanwhile

roos barkley turns down man city to sign a new contract at everton

how on earth did they ever manage that?

Rooney, Lescott, Fellaini, Rodwell... Etc

If the right bid comes in from a top European club he will be gone. Can Man City pay Everton what Rodwell is worth under their current FFP restrictions? No. So he stays, and signs big contract. Probably a similar contract to the one lallana signed last year.

If Barkley has an awesome season as a first team regular at Everton this year, a bigger club will sign him

He'll know full well like Modric at spurs that he'll eventually be able to force his way out next summer.

Which for me is fine. That means we get another season with him, halt the perception that we are not in control and don't lose so many players next season. Arguably we should have done that with a couple of others too.

Yep, if you sign a contract you cant be disillusioned when you're held to that contract even against your will.

Its massively important for Saints to hold their nerve for now, even if after we sign 3-4 players we eventually let him get his own way. We cant be seen to potential signings to be making false promises in public

If he wants a fight, then he should be careful and not take for granted that he will win. The club is bigger than any one player or group of players, and if he does decide to take them on and they have the resolve to stand firm, he has no chance what so ever of winning. To me, the board has to stick to their guns, even if it ****s Morgan's career - although that would be 100% totally his choice. The rebuilding is more important than Morgan's career, and if we let him go, then the rebuilding is going to be that much harder. People say that players have all the power, but ultimately, the power lies in the contract. It will be interesting to see whether the board will capitulate or stand firm.

Rooney, Lescott, Fellaini, Rodwell... Etc

If the right bid comes in from a top European club he will be gone. Can Man City pay Everton what Rodwell is worth under their current FFP restrictions? No. So he stays, and signs big contract. Probably a similar contract to the one lallana signed last year.

If Barkley has an awesome season as a first team regular at Everton this year, a bigger club will sign him

that is fine. I would be miles better with the situation had we spread these sales out like everton did/have/do

that is fine. I would be miles better with the situation had we spread these sales out like everton did/have/do

Not only miles better, I would be very happy for us to do this. It's a good strategy for a club like us and will allow us to build gradually. It's exactly what we should be doing.

Which for me is fine. That means we get another season with him, halt the perception that we are not in control and don't lose so many players next season. Arguably we should have done that with a couple of others too.

Shaw and chambers both should have been told to serve their time IMO. Didn't happen and we've got to hold what we've got this season.

He'll be gone in January & I'm likely reaching the end of my tether with football. It's broken & I don't think it can be fixed. Sad times.

Out of interest Gordon, how old are you? I am even thinking of not really using the ST next season. I'm early 40 and first went to the Dell in the mid 70s. Just ask as I agree whole heartedly with you and am oh so close on giving up, but wonder if it is us of a certain age who feel like this.

The players really have got the club by the balls haven't they?

Not so much now - I think Ralph's unequivocal assurances and statement have wrestled back some power. If Morgan goes now, then Ralph would have to walk.

In many ways if he did tell the press ahead of Morgan, then it was brilliant brinkmanship. He simply walks into the meeting and tells Morgan that no deal could possibly be done now.

As already mentioned Morgan probably earnt a move ahead of all the others and his meeting today probably cost him in excess of 2 million quid.

But Ralphs job is to look after the Club - Not to make Morgan happy.

A good response and one I support. There has to be a limit, the Board have to be seen to be in control and that is the most important thing. At some point we had to say No and Im glad the club finally have come out and done so - this is what many have asked for, and not just Saints fans.

Both of which are positives and like yourself I feel it should have happened earlier and especially with Chambers.

Because there cant possibly be anything wrong with the great southampton football club....

Something wrong with modern football, not exclusive to Saints.

What would you have done with the 5-7 want away players? Kept them, forced them to play or sold them for top prices?

Football is broken. It is no longer the game of the average working man and hasn't been for some time. Run by bafoons at the FIFA, the FA, Money talks and that is all. Contracts mean jack all, players only want money, money and more money and don't give a flying xxxx about us. It's just ££££ and I've had enough.

Shaw and chambers both should have been told to serve their time IMO. Didn't happen and we've got to hold what we've got this season.

Shaw was always going to go, possibly lallana but the rest should have been firmly told no, atleast until replacements were brought in or over an extended timeline.

The dressing room was already in a state of unrest, now they are watching others leave, further disrupting moral. Its no surprise whats going on and morgan wants out, I dont personally blame him

Morgan has changed since he started playing for France....seriously though, the way i feel right now, I'd get them all in a room & tell whoever wants to go, just **** off right now. I'd rather play with a group of academy kids & club legends like Kelvin Davis than this bunch of ****s. They are a disgrace to the Saints shirt.

Something wrong with modern football, not exclusive to Saints.

What would you have done with the 5-7 want away players? Kept them, forced them to play or sold them for top prices?

Definately something wrong in football yes. Read post above re the exits. They could also have helped by better comunicating in the 6 months towards the end of the season and attempting to prove a semblance of ambition

A good response and one I support. There has to be a limit, the Board have to be seen to be in control and that is the most important thing. At some point we had to say No and Im glad the club finally have come out and done so - this is what many have asked for, and not just Saints fans.

Just a shame we had to have all the rubbish for the last few weeks though where we did come across as clueless and amateurish.

Morgan has changed since he started playing for France....seriously though, the way i feel right now, I'd get them all in a room & tell whoever wants to go, just **** off right now. I'd rather play with a group of academy kids & club legends like Kelvin Davis than this bunch of ****s. They are a disgrace to the Saints shirt.

These are players that have bled red and white for the past few years, all have had opportunities to move on, so whats changed ? The players or the situation ?

Shaw was always going to go, possibly lallana but the rest should have been firmly told no, atleast until replacements were brought in or over an extended timeline.

The dressing room was already in a state of unrest, now they are watching others leave, further disrupting moral. Its no surprise whats going on and morgan wants out, I dont personally blame him

Completely this. We really should have replaced the players before we let the others leave.

Disagree shaw was on a long term deal and decision to cash in early on him set dominoes rolling.

No saints fan want him sold i can just see why he would be annoyed about it all. He has a point.

Not really, he has a contract, and he needs to understand that fans will not be happy if the club sold him, the board need him to stay, he is being very selfish and unreasonable how many clubs can allow this/or would. It is not like we have been relegated! If he wants to move clubs then he will have to do it the right way and work for it!!!

I'm fully behind the board, not an easy position to be in. Anyone throwing insults at them need to give time, I'm giving them my full faith. Like the interview states, "judge them on the first of September".