Where SHOULD we be aiming for this season?

Unbelievable Jeff

Obviously we are struggling to bring in players of a decent quality, but does it actually matter?

Are we better getting players on loan, keeping the squad much the same, finishing mid to bottom of the table (10th to 16th), keeping hold of our decent players and then spending an utter ton next Summer, (100-120 million) and push for top 5/cup?

To me all we really need now is a striker and central defender and we'll be fine for this season.

Even a worst case scenario team of:

Pellè/Gallagher

Tadic/Isgrove Ramirez/Davis Rodriguez/McQueen/Scheletto

Taider/Cork/Reed Wanyama/JWP

Bertrand/Targett ?/Yoshida Fonte/Hooiveld Clyne/McCarthy

Boruc/Davis

This team should be easily capable of 10th-12th...

Perhaps I should say 'realistic expectations'.

I'd be happy with a top half finish and would like to think that would be the minimum that the coaching staff expect of the players. We obviously need some more players at CB and in forward positions, but we still do have a lot of talent at the club despite all the sales. Assuming Krueger keeps to his guarantee that J-Rod and Morgan won't be sold and there are no more unexpected exits, then we've still got ample quality to separate us from the dross in the league. Hope to see Pelle bag around 15 goals, and think Tadic will be a fantastic signing for us based on what I have seen so far. Looking at the teams that finished below us I'd say that Newcastle, West Ham, and Stoke appear stronger than they were last season. Problem for West Ham is that they are trying to change their playing style to be more expansive and it's obvious that this doesn't come natural to Fat Sam. Wouldn't be surprised if he was sacked relatively early in the season. Newcastle, for me, have lacked a playing identity for the past couple of seasons. Cabella looks a very good signing, but don't expect Newcastle to become a fluid unit overnight. I think Stoke might be the biggest challengers for 8th spot. Hughes has got them playing some decent stuff and has also bought well, attracting some relatively exotic names to a veritable sh*thole. Sunderland should improve as well, but still think they will end up 12th-14th. Hull have made some decent-ish signings (especially Andrew Robertson) but I think, like a lot of people, that they will really suffer with commitments of the Europa League. Lots of transfer activity still to be done, but we finished so comfortable in 8th position last season that we shouldn't really be aiming for anything lower than a top-half finish IMO.

Edited by Toon Saint

There's no excuse whatsoever for any team that has £70+mill to spend to finish bottom half, let alone one that already has Boruc, Wanyama, Schneidlerin, Ramirez, Rodriguez and Clyne. We should easily be able to finish 8th again if we spend the money well, unfortunately we probably won't and will finish about 14th or something.

Pellè/Gallagher

Boruc/Davis

Rubbish.

"Obviously we are struggling to bring in players of a decent quality..." because there are only 26 days to the close of the transfer window!

Ho hum. Top half finish and a decent cup run would do it for me, but then again I obviously lack ambition and have been cowed by the big clubs who are not going to let little old us into their exclusive domain. Just like the old class thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2k1iRD2f-c

Obviously we are struggling to bring in players of a decent quality, but does it actually matter?

Are we better getting players on loan, keeping the squad much the same, finishing mid to bottom of the table (10th to 16th), keeping hold of our decent players and then spending an utter ton next Summer, (100-120 million) and push for top 5/cup?

To me all we really need now is a striker and central defender and we'll be fine for this season.

If we can't sign (as you put it) 'decent quality players' after our highest ever finish in the Prem why on earth would they move to us next season when (call me pessimistic if you want) we won't finish as high?

With reference to the need for a cb and striker I agree but for me this been the case since the end of last season and well before we lost Lovren and Lambert. At present we've not replaced either and the fact that we haven't must set alarm bells ringing. Although we had a tough run of fixtures during December/New Year last season our poor form was in part down to our lack of squad depth. This hasn't improved and could be argued to be worse. If we sign only 1 cb and 1 striker problems with squad depth are going to arise again IMO.

Edited by Trout-Tickler

As I have been saying for years, staying in the Premier League is the first objective, anything else a bonus. 17th, will be another season of success, 18th failure. Same as ever.

Nice to see that a vast swathe of fans are at last thinking the same way as me and expressing it on this forum.

Expectation will certainly be lower. I think anything above 15th should be expected, I would be happy enough with 10th-14th which is where I think we'll end up. Although it's likely there will be very few points between these placings. If we were to bring in a few more (Forster, Van Dijk/Vlaar, Redmond and Ings/Samaras) we should be aiming for 9th-12th. Still difficult to say with so much of the window left and us taking forever to close out a deal for anyone. A top half finish is too much to expect of RoKo in his first season, but his record in cups inspires hope for a good run where he might show a bit of respect to the competition and the fans, unlike a certain (allegedly) league bonus chasing ex-manager of ours

If we can't sign (as you put it) 'decent quality players' after our highest ever finish in the Prem why on earth would they move to us next season when (call me pessimistic if you want) we won't finish as high?

With reference to the need for a cb and striker I agree but for me this been the case since the end of last season and well before we lost Lovren and Lambert. At present we've not replaced either and the fact that we haven't must set alarm bells ringing. Although we had a tough run of fixtures during December/New Year last season our poor form was in part down to our lack of squad depth. This hasn't improved and could be argued to be worse. If we sign only 1 cb and 1 striker problems with squad depth are going to arise again IMO.

The point is I believe we're being priced out of the market this season as we are forefinger to pay too much for players when other teams know we have a lot of money to spend.

Survival in the Premier League.

Thing about betting firms is that they only lower their odds when they know its likely something will happen.... from 15/1 to 5/1 (and less) in 3 weeks... not looking good.

lets hope we spend on some quality soon and move to 10/1.

I just want to stay in the Premier League. Thats all... its like the old days again! :)

As I have been saying for years, staying in the Premier League is the first objective, anything else a bonus. 17th, will be another season of success, 18th failure. Same as ever.

Nice to see that a vast swathe of fans are at last thinking the same way as me and expressing it on this forum.

Never thought I'd say this... but I'm with Dalek.

Pellè/Gallagher

Boruc/Davis

Three on the right might make us a bit lopsided but with 21 players from the back to the front and 2 in goal we should walk this league f'k mid table.

It's going to be a bumpy start to the season, as all the new players settle in. We have had the core of the team ripped out, so we need to be patient. Also have a horrible run of fixtures from late November to early January. So my guess is somewhere around 11th to 14th after a slow start. Don't think that we will go down as there are teams that will be much weaker than us, even after all the transfers (Burnley, Hull, Villa, Palace, West Brom)