Rickie Lambert - Dream to Nightmare?

georgeweahscousin

It's a shame for Rickie because he deserves better, but was always going to be a risk. Even the local LFC fans can be wholly unrealistic at times, and they are nowhere near as bad as the entitled masses further afield.

Expect similar criticism of Lallana when he puts in his first poor performance.

You're talking about a group of fans who hounded out a CL winning manager as a "fúcking fat Spanish waiter", after all :)

Just did a quick search of Rickie Lambert on twitter.

Rickie might have got his 'dream' move, but looks like he is going to struggle to get even close to the support he had here. The Scousers have already written him off.

Rickie always has a few bad games in his locker you only need to read through last couple of season's match threads to see that. Hopefully he'll win over the Scousers with a couple of decent performances where he scores but they can be very quick to get on the back of players.

Always starts the season slow.

Always silences the doubters.

But if this is the case, its karma. I blame him for opening the floodgates with an act of selfishness.

It is telling how Rodgers needs to go to the press every two days to convince the media and fans about his purchases from us.

But if this is the case, its karma. I blame him for opening the floodgates with an act of selfishness.

It is telling how Rodgers needs to go to the press every two days to convince the media and fans about his purchases from us.

Always starts the season slow? What a load of nonsense. He started slow last season, but not the previous one(s).

If the FFP stuff is even half on the money, then there are mitigating circumstances behind the move.

Always thought Lallana was the better fit for what they need right now. Might just be the case that at 32, Lambert's best years are now behind him. Despite losing him, I don't want to see him be a flop at Liverpool. Not good enough for them as a youngster is one thing. Not good enough as a signed pro carries a shítload more stigma.

Some nasty comments by LFC fans on twitter. Insult to injury for us.

The most constructive comment I've seen reckons that Rickie is too much the supporter, still in awe and needs to settle into the business of being a professional footballer.

He was barely good enough for us for long periods of last season so he's going to look utter tripe compared to the world-class Suarez. As someone else noted, his best bet would be playing behind Sturridge but that isn't going to happen as they have Coutinho, Sterling, Lallana and the other new signing to fit in, as well as Emre Can possibly meaning Gerrard/Henderson can play more advanced.

He will be a bit part sub for a year.

He was barely good enough for us for long periods of last season so he's going to look utter tripe compared to the world-class Suarez. As someone else noted, his best bet would be playing behind Sturridge but that isn't going to happen as they have Coutinho, Sterling, Lallana and the other new signing to fit in, as well as Emre Can possibly meaning Gerrard/Henderson can play more advanced.

He will be a bit part sub for a year.

To be fair, he struggled because he needed a rest and we had no backup

I fear you are right. But the I also wonder what part he would have played for Saints if he had stayed.

Maybe he wouldn't of played much and maybe we would of looked to upgrade, but I would argue that the locker room benefits would of been worth him staying until retirement. How many departures might of considered staying on if Rickie was still here? I believe he would have the same sort of impact behind the scenes that I suspect Kelvin Davis has.

I don't begrudge him his move to Liverpool, but I reckon his move was the catalyst for subsequent departures and discontent.

Rickie was never likely to reach a testimonial with us (short of doing a 'Sheringham') but I did dream that he'd finish his career at Saints. I get the whole thing of signing for your boyhood club and taking his family 'home'... It appears ever more likely that it'll end his career on a sour note though.

Would still welcome him back as a bit-part player if it was guaranteed we'd be his final club.

On one level that seems amusing.

However, its a real pity for us and the players themselves, because they still had futures here. They got distracted by money and star-struck...

I take you're not going along with the FFP theory then?

Rickie might have got his 'dream' move, but looks like he is going to struggle to get even close to the support he had here. The Scousers have already written him off.

Obviously. What were they expecting, the Scouse Suarez? He's only ever going to be a 20 minute sub for them to retain possession up the field late in the game and bring the midfield in, and he looks like a less agile Henderson who runs less in their pre-season games. They also keep playing through balls 10 yards in front of him for some reason. We had our ENTIRE STYLE built around him in the Championship and in the first season in the Prem when he was most successful, and he's two years older now with a lot of lower-league mileage on his legs.

The weird bit is them signing Origi and then loaning him back to Lille - they'll be wishing they could recall him soon if Sturridge gets injured.

Weight of expectation which is off the scale compared with what he's experienced before. It does strange things to people. It would have been better for Lambert if Liverpool had signed a Suarez replacement and he could have eased himself into contention without the same pressure.

I absolutely despise Liverpool, but I really want Rickie to do well. As long as he doesn't let them down with a Gerrard style mistake then I think if he just scores once in front of the Kop then Rickie will be more than satisfied. I imagine he doesn't expect to go there and be the star of the show, but for him this isn't just another club, this is his club and I think just being on the bench there will be a dream for him.

It's not like he was bought to play against the top 8 in the league. He's only going to get played in the FA Cup, league Cup and when they come back from Europe and have stoke at home.

Absolute steal for 4 mil, considering the rest they will be able to give Sturridge now.

He missed a penalty after 5 years of banging them in with us. That, to me, seems like his head isn't in the right place at the moment. Star struck perhaps. I'm sure he'll come good for them, even if it's in the cups.

I have no animosity towards Lambert. Liverpool got a player they wanted, Lambert got his dream move, and we made a £3 million profit on a player we had 5 good years out of and is now 32. Wins all round.

SRL was slow at the end of last season. Can't deny it.

But, you can't judge him on one game. He has 10 goals in him this season for Liverpool. Thats worth every penny of a £4m transfer fee.

Not sure we'll replace him with a 10 goal guaranteed striker. Pelle is Osvaldos replacement as far as I'm concerned.

I am fairly confident it will turn out right for him and he will make a reasonable contribution to their season. His sheer force of will and personality will prevail.

But if it doesnt, he only has himself to blame for acting like a goggle-eyed, star-struck, pre-pubescent teenage girl.

V MU he struggled to fit in. He played with his usual movement into spaces but was largely ignored except one ball from Gerrard that he mi****. Liverpool's style with Sterling running with the ball effectively froze him out. This move, football wise may be a big mistake. Saint's style was built around him and Lallana but now they have to fit in with Liverpool. I don't think it's going to work. It will be interesting to see what happens to them including Lovren.

Well, I think you're the only one. And I say that as someone who didn't see how he would fit into the squad going forward.

He's gone and therefore I could not care less.That said, if things go really pear shaped for the both of us I wonder if we might take him back in the January window?

I don't know what his Liverpool pay is but I suspect that is more than we paid him which would probably knock that on the head.