Calum Chambers

Leicestersaint

Anyway back to being ambitious, I'd like to see Rodriguez and JWP in that squad by the end of the season. I wasn't sure Rodriguez was good enough originally, but seeing Welbeck and Townsend, and rooney's abject displays, he clearly is.

Mainly I think they miss Walcott. Many criticise but he's always a threat. A front 3 of him and Sturridge with one of chamberlain, sterling or Rodriguez on the left would be balanced, fast, mobile and panic many defences.

Yet we won't get to see it will we.

I still think that Rodriquez has work to do on his game (not saying that Welbeck and Townsend are better). He looked out of place in his debut whereas Lallana loooked right at home in the team. He clearly improved last season though so it would be good to see get another chance at the top level.

didnt clyne play more games??

don't get me wrong, chambers was excellent and I'd hoped he'd become out centre back, but if talking right backs, and we had to choose which to keep, I'd have rather kept clyne. He's marginally ahead in the position in talent, pace and experience. Both are 10 times better than Johnson which brings bigger questions about hodgsons judgement.

I totally agree on Johnson, he's toilet which is appropriate given his past track-record in DIY stores. I too would have preferred Clyne as would I suspect a lot of Saints fan but wasn't Jiminez saying at an event before MP left that Chambers was considered a better RB by the coaching staff? Koeman doesn't agree and took the dosh for Chambers. All I'm saying is that perhaps MP's view is in line with that of England coaching staff (wrongly IMO). Clyne still has positional faults that need ironing out, Chambers is slower and possibly better suited to CB. All in all I'm saying that Clyne is the best option out there but England hasn't had a genuine top drawer RB since Gary Neville. Whereas I think Shaw will be once fit and his Man U career gets underway. Mind you, LVG might be gone by then!

I still think that Rodriquez has work to do on his game (not saying that Welbeck and Townsend are better). He looked out of place in his debut whereas Lallana loooked right at home in the team. He clearly improved last season though so it would be good to see get another chance at the top level.

JRod really suffered from being played out of position in a team that performed really poorly.

He was played as left-midfielder for England, where as for us he was effectively a second striker coming in from the left.

JRod really suffered from being played out of position in a team that performed really poorly.

He was played as left-midfielder for England, where as for us he was effectively a second striker coming in from the left.

True but then we often play people "out of position" and it is up to them to make the most of it. The injury came at a bad time but I dont think he would have made the squad if fit.

England playing people in a position and formation that gets the best from them and is the reason they were picked?! Steady

Strange that people also don't appear to be able to fathom that the first side after a World Cup is likely to be a lot more "looking to the future" than the World Cup squad itself is.

The World Cup signifies the end of a cycle, there are 2 years to get the side right for the next major championships - aside from the fact that it was England's worst ever performance in a World Cup Finals itself and there's obviously a need to refresh some of the squad with younger options even before you consider the various international retirements. England have a pile of injuries to recent/regular starters too, Shaw and Lallana's replacements are new caps, and even looking at the previously capped players God only knows how Townsend and Lambert have made the squad on the past 6 months' form.

Plus Chambers is not being considered as a right back, right back is the one area where there aren't any injuries (in fact Stones played there for Everton first game of the season so there's one more candidate ahead of Clyne than there was before) and England were desperately short of centre-back options at the World Cup.

Also, Hodgson has said "With 10 injuries and six of them in the defensive part of the field, I didn't have the luxury of saying he could start in the Under-21s. We've had to jump him up and he's come in straight away."

Not happy, more accepting of it. There's nothing we can do about it.

Exactly. I remember feeling gutted when Steve Williams went to Arsenal. Not sure if it was a good career move for him as he wasnt as good for them as he was for us and never became the England player I thought he would. It has been happening forever and will continue as long as there is professional football.

Strange that people also don't appear to be able to fathom that the first side after a World Cup is likely to be a lot more "looking to the future" than the World Cup squad itself is.

The World Cup signifies the end of a cycle, there are 2 years to get the side right for the next major championships - aside from the fact that it was England's worst ever performance in a World Cup Finals itself and there's obviously a need to refresh some of the squad with younger options even before you consider the various international retirements. England have a pile of injuries to recent/regular starters too, Shaw and Lallana's replacements are new caps, and even looking at the previously capped players God only knows how Townsend and Lambert have made the squad on the past 6 months' form.

Plus Chambers is not being considered as a right back, right back is the one area where there aren't any injuries (in fact Stones played there for Everton first game of the season so there's one more candidate ahead of Clyne than there was before) and England were desperately short of centre-back options at the World Cup.

Also, Hodgson has said "With 10 injuries and six of them in the defensive part of the field, I didn't have the luxury of saying he could start in the Under-21s. We've had to jump him up and he's come in straight away."

If he is to be considered as a CH it doesnt say much for the standard of English players if that is the best we can do. Not having a pop at him but with a handful of games in that position he is hardly a proven performer in that position.

lambert was called up after a full season doing well. Lallana had to wait ages while inferior players got their chance and Shaw had the help of huge hype and probably man utd move.

Can players get in? Yes. But do they get in as easily as the top clubs? No. Sterling wasn't ready first time yet got games based on a couple of Liverpool sub appearances. He's earned his place now and that's how it should be done. Delph and Huddlestone were good enough consistently for chances yet have only just got them. Smaller clubs yes, but why did it take so long? Curtis Davies had a good season, yet we took a clown like Smalling. Flanagan played out of position for a very open Liverpool defence and got called up, whereas others were playing better and regularly in preferred positions.

Is it easier for players at top teams to get into the England team? Yes. But then it's natural for players at teams that consistently place high in the league to be called up. They must be doing something right if they play at least semi regularly for those teams. I'm happy with the balance of where players come from as it is now. I certainly think there is more chance for good non Champions's League teams than there has been in the past 10 years.

If he is to be considered as a CH it doesnt say much for the standard of English players if that is the best we can do. Not having a pop at him but with a handful of games in that position he is hardly a proven performer in that position.

World Cup squad: Jagielka, Cahill, then erm, Phil Jones and Smalling as cover, was it? Ferdinand and Terry long out of the equation, Stones with only a few games under his belt too, it doesn't need Chambers to be involved to show England's area of weakness - it's the same story just in front of them too.

We took 1 real right back to Brazil so if Chambers wasn't good enough then why is he now after 2 games out of position at Arsenal?

Glen Johnson isn't in this squad, so there's one place he's moved up immediately. Smalling was crap, hasn't been selected either. Two slots available.

Stones played right back for Everton first match, and is as likely to start there as Chambers is, both of them give CB/FB cover. Plus all the stuff I just said about the start of a cycle and freshening up the squad with the chance to get 2 years' experience before Euro 2016.

World Cup squad: Jagielka, Cahill, then erm, Phil Jones and Smalling as cover, was it? Ferdinand and Terry long out of the equation, Stones with only a few games under his belt too, it doesn't need Chambers to be involved to show England's area of weakness - it's the same story just in front of them too.

Not great is it!

I think you'll find he's being considered for both. Like Stones he can play both positions, as can Smalling and Jones, the main reason the latter two have been included in squads before I'd say. Players that can cover a number of positions will always find a place in an international squad if they're half decent.

On the subject of right back injuries, I thought Walker was second choice and he's been out for ages. Given that and Johnson's poor form, I'd say Clyne deserved a go. His positioning at times may be a bit suspect but I'd say he's still an improvement on Walker and Johnson.

What I do agree with is that CB has been England's biggest issue for a while now. Anyone that's watched Chambers' performances in this position for Arsenal this season would say he's worth a punt. Sure he's made a couple of bad decisions but on the whole his performances have been great. He seems to be a decisive centre back, which will always lead to the odd decision going wrong but what I like is he doesn't give forwards an easy game. I also like the fact that despite the fact he's by far the least experienced in Arsenal's back line, he's continually looking around to make sure his positioning is correct and barking orders at the others as to where they should be.

Clyne's problem remains that the last time he wore an England (U21) shirt he was utter toilet, and had an absolute nightmare of a tournament personally, being outstandingly poor when England as a whole were terrible. Penalty conceded, caught out of position, dropped before the group stages were over.

I think you'll find he's being considered for both.

With Johnson out I should think he's back up behind Stones at right back (Stones has at least played there this season) and being considered for international experience at centre back.

The England set-up and selection policy has left the national team back in the dark ages.

We will never win the World Cup again.

There, I've said it, the elephant in the room has been introduced to everyone - sorry if that was a bombshell to anyone.

The last eight years should have been the clue.

The England set-up and selection policy has left the national team back in the dark ages.

There, I've said it, the elephant in the room has been introduced to everyone - sorry if that was a bombshell to anyone.

Only eight - you must be young right? The whole thing has a stench that has been around a lot longer than that.

Only eight - you must be young right? The whole thing has a stench that has been around a lot longer than that.

There were reasonable expectations of at least a QF in 2006, and they were outright being raved about as potential winners in 2004.

England have always been sh!t, the one time they won anything they needed home advantage and a cheating linesman.

People blame the set-up, the coaching, the Premier League - it's all nonsense. Fact is we are, as a country, not very good at football.

We have more football clubs than any other country by a mile, we have the best training facilities money can buy, tried the best managers/coaches - yet we are still garbage. There is only so much any coaches can do with talentless players, no set up in the World will change how bad we are - the problem is England fans can't face the fact that we are not very good at the game we invented so they look for excuses.

Edited by aintforever

England have always been sh!t, the one time they won anything they needed home advantage and a cheating linesman.

People blame the set-up, the coaching, the Premier League - it's all nonsense. Fact is we are, as a country, not very good at football.

We have more football clubs than any other country by a mile, we have the best training facilities money can buy, tried the best managers/coaches - yet we are still garbage. There is only so much any coaches can do with talentless players, no set up in the World will change how bad we are - the problem is England fans can't face the fact that we are not very good at the game we invented so they look for excuses.

And the award for sweeping generalisation goes to ....

First off yeah we had some luck winning the thing but how do you think we got as far as the final in the first place?

Perhaps we are not producing players of the same quality and it really is that simple but I would contest that the fact that we make a decent fist of youth level internationals might suggest otherwise.

We can't be all that terrible if we continually feature in major tournaments at senior level either.

And the award for sweeping generalisation goes to ....

First off yeah we had some luck winning the thing but how do you think we got as far as the final in the first place?

Perhaps we are not producing players of the same quality and it really is that simple but I would contest that the fact that we make a decent fist of youth level internationals might suggest otherwise.

We can't be all that terrible if we continually feature in major tournaments at senior level either.

OK, replace sh!t with average/mediocre.

Fact is that generally we are not good at it, after every miserable failure of a tournament the same discussions happen about coaching, setups etc but it's all nonsense. It's just excuses from people who cannot face the facts.

Exactly. I remember feeling gutted when Steve Williams went to Arsenal. Not sure if it was a good career move for him as he wasnt as good for them as he was for us and never became the England player I thought he would. It has been happening forever and will continue as long as there is professional football.

Steve Williams was a great player, one of my all-time favourites. But he was made to look superb by playing alongside Bally. The two of them together complemented each other perfectly and were outstanding (hesitate to use the term world class but maybe). Unfortunately Steve Williams and Arsenal did not see this and his career nosedived when he went to Arse.

OK, replace sh!t with average/mediocre.

Fact is that generally we are not good at it, after every miserable failure of a tournament the same discussions happen about coaching, setups etc but it's all nonsense. It's just excuses from people who cannot face the facts.

Entitled to your opinion of course but I would disagree.

I concede our players at full international stage have often been found wanting and that we rarely produce players who fit into the "world class" bracket even out of the national set up (of course there have been some exceptions but the "who is world class" debate is a messy one!).

You suggest that anybody who seeks to understand what they consider to be under-performance as delusional but surely that hints at a bit of realism? Trying to understand why Costa Rica, Belgium or even the USA played more effectively than we did despite having fewer players of recognised quality is surely a positive thing for the state of the English game which, whatever state it may or may not be in, is not in a fixed state.

Steve Williams was a great player, one of my all-time favourites. But he was made to look superb by playing alongside Bally. The two of them together complemented each other perfectly and were outstanding (hesitate to use the term world class but maybe). Unfortunately Steve Williams and Arsenal did not see this and his career nosedived when he went to Arse.

Apart from Mach 1980 to March 81 when Bally was at Blackpool and Oct 82, when he retired, and Boxing day 84, when Williams played his last match.

It could be argued that SW was at his best in the 83/84 season, when he wasn't under Bally's shadow.

Fortunately an England squad that includes a host of young talent(ish) however that is pretty much were the positives end.

This has to be the weakest england squad I have ever seen. Poor options at CB, though its good to see Stones and Chambers in there. Rose is pretty weak but ultimately he isnt too bad, its a shame that Bertrand Clyne have missed out. Clynes started the season exceptionally so its a real shame he didnt make the grade.

Midfield is ultimately woeful. Colback and delph are about as inspiring as a toilet brush. Hopefully one of them will be able to do a better job then Henderson could at DM but ultimately I still think Cork could get in there, if he was getting more game time at saints.

Even the striking options are poor, Lamberts ok, but he wont make the next euros, nevermind world cup. Welbecks not the answer, Rooney never seems to perform and I just dont think Sturridge is very good.

Still, we needed to start somewhere and theres some biggish injuries in the squad.

I am calling you Delldays because that is who you are. I am not sure why you have become Batman but the change of name hasnt changed your posting style sadly.

Did JRod pay well for a couple of years before his call up? No. I am saying you have lost it because, very clearly, you can get called up to the full senior sqaud if you play for Southampton. You can also get called up for the full senior squad if you play for Aston Villa (Delph) or Newcastle (Colback) neither team of whish are a top 6 club. You seem to have some kind of blinkered view about how these things work. Hodgson, for whatever reason, has decided, at the moment, that Clyne isnt good enough. I dont think that reason is because he plays for Southampton. If it was he wouldnt have selected Lallana, Lambert and JRod last season would he? It isnt hard mate.

its not is it. it was just a username, reasons why I changed have nothing to do with you, hence why the admin were happy to do so, without being banned

Fortunately an England squad that includes a host of young talent(ish) however that is pretty much were the positives end.

This has to be the weakest england squad I have ever seen. Poor options at CB, though its good to see Stones and Chambers in there. Rose is pretty weak but ultimately he isnt too bad, its a shame that Bertrand Clyne have missed out. Clynes started the season exceptionally so its a real shame he didnt make the grade.

Midfield is ultimately woeful. Colback and delph are about as inspiring as a toilet brush. Hopefully one of them will be able to do a better job then Henderson could at DM but ultimately I still think Cork could get in there, if he was getting more game time at saints.

Even the striking options are poor, Lamberts ok, but he wont make the next euros, nevermind world cup. Welbecks not the answer, Rooney never seems to perform and I just dont think Sturridge is very good.

Still, we needed to start somewhere and theres some biggish injuries in the squad.

I have no issue with colback/Delph inclusions, though I do think cork is better than both. England needed a proper defensive midfielder at wc, especially if they are going to carry on trying to play 4-2-3-1 or some such variant.

its not is it. it was just a username, reasons why I changed have nothing to do with you, hence why the admin were happy to do so, without being banned

No it doesnt have anything to do with me. But you are still Delldays to me.

ps. Changing your name to a superhero and using Batman as your avatar doesnt make you are different person Jamie.

I have no issue with colback/Delph inclusions, though I do think cork is better than both. England needed a proper defensive midfielder at wc, especially if they are going to carry on trying to play 4-2-3-1 or some such variant.

Exactly, they also need to decide who the main striker is, and stop attempting to press gang in sturridge and rooney etc in a similar fashion to the way they tried to squash Scholes, Lampard and Gerrard in a midfield together thus effectively waste 3 very accomplished attacking midfielders.

Ultimately the failings are with the FA who I genuinely believe (conspiracy alert) do more than 'encourage' the inclusion of certain big name players in the squad. As well as a succession of poor managers who, as previously discussed, attempt to fit a system around players rather than deciding on the players that best fit an accepted system.

You also cant look past a lack of technical coaches. Its no surprise that the majority of decent coaching staff in the prem these days are foreign. You only have to look at the numbers of grass roots coaches here compared to the european super powers for that. Obviously there is the PL issue, and ultimately the vast amounts of money available for success. Having worked amoungst coaching circles when I was younger, and now do bits and bobs here and there, there have been imprivements, add to this the EPPP and extra astro pitches being bought I think that the future is looking brighter. But looking at the lack of depth we have in the England squad right now shows up the issues we have in those areas are very real.

ps. Changing your name to a superhero and using Batman as your avatar doesnt make you are different person Jamie.

He did spend quite a while blatantly lying about it as well, IIRC, during his "No, I'm Brett from Camden, honest" phase.

Exactly, they also need to decide who the main striker is, and stop attempting to press gang in sturridge and rooney etc in a similar fashion to the way they tried to squash Scholes, Lampard and Gerrard in a midfield together thus effectively waste 3 very accomplished attacking midfielders.

Ultimately the failings are with the FA who I genuinely believe (conspiracy alert) do more than 'encourage' the inclusion of certain big name players in the squad. As well as a succession of poor managers who, as previously discussed, attempt to fit a system around players rather than deciding on the players that best fit an accepted system.

You also cant look past a lack of technical coaches. Its no surprise that the majority of decent coaching staff in the prem these days are foreign. You only have to look at the numbers of grass roots coaches here compared to the european super powers for that. Obviously there is the PL issue, and ultimately the vast amounts of money available for success. Having worked amoungst coaching circles when I was younger, and now do bits and bobs here and there, there have been imprivements, add to this the EPPP and extra astro pitches being bought I think that the future is looking brighter. But looking at the lack of depth we have in the England squad right now shows up the issues we have in those areas are very real.

Agree with all you said, but equally think England won't do anything unless something is done to force min no British players in a starting xi in prem.

Agree with all you said, but equally think England won't do anything unless something is done to force min no British players in a starting xi in prem.

Whilst Id love this to happen, brand EPL is already tarnished, Scudamore wont allow it to be reduced aby more under his tenure. Plus Im not sure of the legal implications ?

But yes, if possible I think it should be Fifa that impose the issue on all leagues.

make me a different person? this is not real life, ffs