Calum Chambers

Leicestersaint

What with Chambers being called up since his move, I was wondering what England starting line up people can come up with using players ONLY from unfashionable clubs. Certainly no Liverpool, Man U/C, Chelsea or Arsenal. Think Everton can be used as well as Spurs.

• 4 months later...

Would Chambers have got any game time if he had stayed?

RB Clyne, Toby both better, yoshida doing well.

CB all four we have are better currently.

Midfield - 1) Morgan 2) wanyama 3) jwp 4) read 5) Cork - all better.

Imagine if we had paid 16m for him and not used him?

Still good enough to get into England side before Clyne ;)

Clearly a very good player, and will find his position but not missed at all.

Missed ? No, its a shame he isnt still here though as he will still make an excellent england CB one day.

He's not worse than our four current centre halves, worse than Toby & Fonte, better than Gardos & Maya.

Currently he wouldn't make it in our first choice back four ahead of Toby, Fonte, Bertrand & Clyne, but if we went 3/5 at the back then he'd get the nod ahead of Maya.

Hard to say - had he not left then maybe one of Toby or Gardos wouldn't have arrived. His departure maybe had the least impact on the team in the present moment, but he still would have got plenty of games for us given our squad size etc. All the news coming out of the club at the time was that the £16m was too good to turn down for a player considered backup in his best position. Only time will tell if that was the right decision - in terms of how good he goes onto become and how we spend / spent that money. We certainly don't miss him - at the moment.

Chambers may well become a good player one day and maybe he has been thrown in at the deep end too soon at Arsenal, but from what I have seen so far this season I can see why we took the £16m and ran. What with Lovren as well both very good bits of business.

While I appreciate that he was being played woefully out of position against us, I thought he was dreadful.

He had some poor games for us last season at RB - Man City in particular - but he does appear to have gone backwards.

In fact I thought Chamberlayne and Walcott were equally poor although to be fair Walcott is coming back after a long lay off through injury.

Think Gardos is absolutely fine. No idea why so many (some here, some in the press) put him down.

Also agree with this. He seems to improve in confidence a little bit every time he plays. For me I think he'll become a really useful addition as time goes on. With Toby in on loan and it's far from guaranteed that we'll be able to get him permanently next season, we may end up relying on on gardos as first choice?

He's not worse than our four current centre halves, worse than Toby & Fonte, better than Gardos & Maya.

Currently he wouldn't make it in our first choice back four ahead of Toby, Fonte, Bertrand & Clyne, but if we went 3/5 at the back then he'd get the nod ahead of Maya.

Don't agree he's better than yoshida and Gardos. Think he's not great at all tbh.

One thing I couldn't understand from the last game is why he became a victim of the boo-boys.

As far as I'm aware, he didn't try to force a move and his leaving has ensured Clyne no.1 RB spot (something that Poch wouldn't guarantee Clyne) which in turn has given Clyne an opportunity to improve this year. We also banked a tidy sum of cash (which could end up covering transfer fees for Bertrand & Toby)

Don't recall Walcott or Ox receiving the same treatment

One thing I couldn't understand from the last game is why he became a victim of the boo-boys.

As far as I'm aware, he didn't try to force a move and his leaving has ensured Clyne no.1 RB spot (something that Poch wouldn't guarantee Clyne) which in turn has given Clyne an opportunity to improve this year. We also banked a tidy sum of cash (which could end up covering transfer fees for Bertrand & Toby)

If you were at the Emirates and saw him acting like a complete ***** when Toby was on the ground with a hamstring injury then you'd have booed him. He has, to my mind, turned into a total moaner on the field since he left us - hardly surprising given his playing company at Arsenal.

If you were at the Emirates and saw him acting like a complete ***** when Toby was on the ground with a hamstring injury then you'd have booed him. He has, to my mind, turned into a total moaner on the field since he left us - hardly surprising given his playing company at Arsenal.

I think there was a suggestion that he very much agitated for the move which, so early into his career with us and considering what was going on at the club, struck a nerve with a fair few fans.

Don't think I can agree with that assessment. Maya has been solid and assured, especially after having more of a run of games.

Agreed. Arsenal's defence has been very poor this season and much of this down to Chambers.

According to most media pundits, Arsenal's St Mary's visit was the first time this season Wenger has played his first choice back five (including the keeper)

If that's the case, two things; a) Gawd help them, b) Chambers doesn't figure in his first-choice back four.

That can only mean Wenger either sees him as a holding midfielder or he has only been signed as a current bit-part player.

Chambers may well become a good player one day and maybe he has been thrown in at the deep end too soon at Arsenal, but from what I have seen so far this season I can see why we took the £16m and ran. What with Lovren as well both very good bits of business.

This...

The only problem with Chambers going is that we didn't have a ready made replacement. At LB we had Targett ready to be backup but McCarthy and Stephens are not quite at that level. I think we all agree Clyne is first choice and would still be if Chambers was still here but during his injury absence Chambers would have been a much better option than Maya in that position or disrupting the cente halves by moving Toby there.

Chambers seems to be cocky and deserves the boos IMO.

He does strut around like a peacock these days. Was he always like that, or is it that skin tight Arsenal strip that causes this?

As for whether he makes it to the top or not, Wenger said that it was a signing that had plenty of risk attached. He had his best game last season IMO, in the 2-2 at SMS vs Arsenal. I wonder whether he was signed off the back of that 1 performance, or rather whether that 1 performance swayed things. (Also with Lovren at Liverpool, scoring and beating them).

He does strut around like a peacock these days. Was he always like that, or is it that skin tight Arsenal strip that causes this?

As for whether he makes it to the top or not, Wenger said that it was a signing that had plenty of risk attached. He had his best game last season IMO, in the 2-2 at SMS vs Arsenal. I wonder whether he was signed off the back of that 1 performance, or rather whether that 1 performance swayed things. (Also with Lovren at Liverpool, scoring and beating them).

imagine lallana in a kit like that. strutting over to take a corner, arms swinging behind his back, sorting his hair out before he places the ball...quick pat on the badge to the home fans and a nice wide smile showing his new teeth.....

he then hits the corner straight into the near post defender....but he looked good doing it

Of course Chambers left too early for his own good but he was in the England team within a month and was laughing all the way to the bank but its been too much to sustain and Clyne is 100% the better bet for us and for England, Chambers needs us more than we need him

While I appreciate that he was being played woefully out of position against us, I thought he was dreadful.

He had some poor games for us last season at RB - Man City in particular - but he does appear to have gone backwards.

In fact I thought Chamberlayne and Walcott were equally poor although to be fair Walcott is coming back after a long lay off through injury.

I thought Chamberlain had a great game. He seemed to be in central midfield for much of the game and was involved in many of Arsenal's good moves.

Chambers was awful. Simply dire. He seemed to be avoiding the ball whenever it came near him and looked totally out of his depth. He is still only 19 but if he wants a long career in the Premier League he needs to find his best position. On the evidence of that match it is certainly not as a holding midfielder.

imagine lallana in a kit like that. strutting over to take a corner, arms swinging behind his back, sorting his hair out before he places the ball...quick pat on the badge to the home fans and a nice wide smile showing his new teeth.....

he then hits the corner straight into the near post defender....but he looked good doing it

:lol:

Your best post, ever!

I really cannot imagine a team like Arsenal (or Liverpool) signing players on the basis of one performance.

Especially when spending £16/20m. There'll have been people watching their games, if not just the manager.

Considering Arsene's love of our academy, he's probably had tabs on Chambers for a few years (I can't imagine many players who get into our first XI come as a surprise to many Prem clubs, they'll be aware of them, especially given the reputation of our set up). There was also talk of Liverpool tracking Lovren (amongst several other Premier League clubs) before he came to us.

Don't think I can agree with that assessment. Maya has been solid and assured, especially after having more of a run of games.

Fair enough, after all football is all about personal opinions. Agree that Yoshida has looked better in recent matches and was pleased he's signed up as think he is a decent enough replacement player for us.

Just think Chambers is better (and will continue to get better). My last counter would be that when Clyne was out under Poch, then Chambers got the nod more often than Yoshida (at least that's how it remember it!!).

Chambers has made a hell of a lot of f*ck-ups this season. If Yoshida had made half as many in a Saints shirt people would be on his back big time, for some reason people w@nk themselves over Chambers because he's young and wearing an Arsenal shirt - ignoring the fact he hasn't played well at all and Arsenals defence is garbage.

Chambers has made a hell of a lot of f*ck-ups this season. If Yoshida had made half as many in a Saints shirt people would be on his back big time, for some reason people w@nk themselves over Chambers because he's young and wearing an Arsenal shirt - ignoring the fact he hasn't played well at all and Arsenals defence is garbage.

makes you wonder that now stones and kyle walker are fit again (and lets assume they remain so)

will chambers get his call up for england (for just being an arsenal player)?

expect so

makes you wonder that now stones and kyle walker are fit again (and lets assume they remain so)

will chambers get his call up for england (for just being an arsenal player)?

expect so

Of course he will and Hodgson will cite CL experience and tell Clyne and Stones to get some ASAP!

Playing against Ludogorets is better than regular PL starts apparently.

That's because Walcott and Ox left from a struggling lower division side to the PL. While I don't applaud their moves, I don't blame them. Even the much maligned Lallana gave us several good years in lower divisions.

Don't agree he's better than yoshida and Gardos. Think he's not great at all tbh.

^ This.

My last counter would be that when Clyne was out under Poch, then Chambers got the nod more often than Yoshida (at least that's how it remember it!!).

Chambers www actually Pochettino's first choice, Clyne spent a lot of the season on the bench

I thought Chamberlain had a great game. He seemed to be in central midfield for much of the game and was involved in many of Arsenal's good moves.

Chambers was awful. Simply dire. He seemed to be avoiding the ball whenever it came near him and looked totally out of his depth. He is still only 19 but if he wants a long career in the Premier League he needs to find his best position. On the evidence of that match it is certainly not as a holding midfielder.

Ran down blind alleys - gave the ball away - zero tackles - one long range shot - owned by a combination of Davis Reed and Wanyama - as a compromise marginally better than the rest of the crap performances in their midfield - Arsenal are a one man team at the moment Sanchez what a talent

Chambers www actually Pochettino's first choice, Clyne spent a lot of the season on the bench

Not quite true ...Pochettino was bonused on the amount of playing time given to young academy players...Chambers was as easy option but still started a lot less than Clyne.

Not quite true ...Pochettino was bonused on the amount of playing time given to young academy players...Chambers was as easy option but still started a lot less than Clyne.

played less than clyne?

apart from playing more games than...clyne??

i see you put started, but chambers had more game time last season