Shane Long

doggface

When sky broke the Lambert deal they initially said £9 million. Turned out to be £4 mil ( according to you). Perhaps you could enlighten us as to exactly how much we are paying for Long ( excluding add ons ) , your source for this information and finally how much you think Shane Long is worth

I've read it on here and given my reaction to that information, same as everyone else so no need for the high horse nonsense. I think he's alright, but nothing special and certainly not anywhere near £12m, maybe £3-4m at best (imo). Surely you can see that we are buying an inferior player to one we let leave for a massively inflated fee? If he was signing for QPR for £12m we'd be in stitches.

Reality check - this is where we are now, just another mid-table, also-ran Prem team. Once we had disposed of half of one of the best, young, mainly homegrown teams the Prem has ever seen, we were left with a pile of smoking ruins and a big pile of money. We can't attract players from the first or second tiers (we can't pay the wages other bigger clubs play and we can't offer much prospects of glory or trophies on the pitch either), realistically we are left with third tier players/young players/cheap unknowns.

In the circumstances we have done 'OK' so far, the jury's still out in that we haven't played any real games yet (!) but in the circumstances:

Forster - potentially very good, should get a number of good seasons out of him and will maintain value

Bertrand - could go either way but no big fee committed, option to buy if he does well

Tadic - hopefully will be very good for us, should maintain value

Taider - excellent squad player/utility player, no big fee committed

Pelle - probably the biggest risk, we need to find a system that creates chances for him

Shane Long - decent honest pro, potential to form a double act with Pelle, I've seen him live several times and I've not seen him have a poor game. Saints could be the making of him. The price is ridiculous but unfortunately when you must have a striker, this week, and you have a pocket full of cash you are going to get burned whoever you try and buy.

Did people 'really' think we were going to take £100m in sales and buy 5x £20m players?

Wow!! The over reaction in here is truly pathetic. I'll admit, at the moment of hearing the link and then the fee I was hardly jumping with joy. However, when you take a moment to think about it this is actually a really good purchase. Last season our goals came from three main sources, Lambert JRod and Lallana. We now have Pelle Long Tadic AND JRod (who will be first on the team sheet most weeks when fit) and hopefully a rejuvenated and effective Gaston. Last two seasons Lallana scored 14, Long 17. Long will provide great short term cover for JRod and excellent competition in training and a very good option from the bench.

This board is full of clueless over reactionary fools.

That is a very poor representation of the two players merits. Lallana's strength was never banging in 20 goals a season, he was a creative player who could create chances in ways few others in the Premier League are capable. Those numbers are also skewed by how poor Lallana was 2 years ago and only scored 3 goals.

Long scored 7 and 8 goals in his last 2 Premier League seasons. I would rather take a punt on an unproven foreigner than someone like Long, who has 'proven' himself to be a distinctively average player.

I've read it on here and given my reaction to that information, same as everyone else so no need for the high horse nonsense. I think he's alright, but nothing special and certainly not anywhere near £12m, maybe £3-4m at best (imo). Surely you can see that we are buying an inferior player to one we let leave for a massively inflated fee? If he was signing for QPR for £12m we'd be in stitches.

He'll be better value than Gaston or Osvaldo .

I for one have always rated Long. Has pace to burn and is an absolute nuisance for defenders. Yes £12 million may be pricey but if he can get us 10+ goals and form a partnership with pelle then it doesn't seem too bad a deal. Just pleased to see a position that is desperately needed being filled before the season starts. Stop your whining and get behind the club! We're clearly struggling to get the players we want in and he may be underwhelming after being linked with the likes of Hernandez.

We aren't the club we were this club last year and can't attract bigger names right now due to half our first team leaving, we aren't the most appealing destination right now for players! Welcome to Saints Shane!

At least we've got the scapegoat sorted preseason. I was getting worried with the departure of Foxy and Guly plus Gazza slipping down the pecking order , we'd be starting the season without one.

I find 'scapegoat' is usually a term applied to players who consistently fail to perform but because a large majority of people notice he isn't performing, that somehow makes him a scapegoat.

Other scapegoats include Jermaine Wright, Chris Makin and Jason Euell.

Oh dear oh dear unbelievable some if the comments on here tonight

I seem to recall similar comments being made when we signed SRL from Bristol for 1 million

And people moaned about that on a previous forum

No pleasing some folk . I hope we get ings as well

Bull sh*t

Terrible signing.

I'm not sure what he offers at that price? 140 pl games and 28 goals. Rickie scored that in 2 seasons pretty much. His assists record is also pretty poor.

I will support the player like I do for all of them but let's not say he is an amazing player simply because we signed him. Because he isn't. He is very average.

Great signing, he won't start every game but I can see him forming a fantastic partnership with Pelle, and we also have Jay Rod to come back too.

Also, isn't it great not to rely on Sam Gallagher as the back up man? Yes £12m is expensive and over the odds, but do Hull need or want to sell him? - No, and secondly how will he fare in a more creative side like ours? that has pace and power, probably quite well compared to Hull/Brom and Reading.

We needed a striker and the fee shows that we are willing to spend the money and have strength in depth that we desperately need. He'll score goals, not 20 a season but apart from Lambert NONE of our strikers (apart from Rasiak in the championship) have done that.

Also we should get at least 5 good seasons from him at the age of 27, if he's doing well for us. He won't be brought by bigger fish, that for me represents a long term investment.

Woah this is terrible buy, this guys name has not been mentioned on talksport or sky this week at all. Clearly our scouts don't listen to media or their radio/tvs are broken. No ambition I tells ya! We should be spending all our money on some 'bigger' clubs unwanted dross. Wreck it Ralph, kitt Kat and lame les out...........................

Our list of candidates must have been several pages long to get to the point of paying £12m for Long. That's an awful lot of rejection for Les to take, probably reminded him of Disco's in his adolescence, where last minute, expensive, panic driven solutions were also sought by those who left it too late.

Moan moan moan moan, looks like the bed wetters are in force again.

People moan when we sell players for over inflated prices 'We are asset stripping!!'

People moan saying that 'I don't care about the money sitting in the bank I want it spent on players!!'

Now when we are actually bringing players in they moan it's costing too much. 'Why are we spunking 10 million on a keeper?' 'Why have we spent 9 million on an unproven PL striker from the Dutch League?' 'Why have we signed Chelsea and Inter reserves on loan?' Why haven't we be spent over 12 million on an unproven Argentinian defender?'

A trier, not with a particular good goal scoring record but has played for some cr*p teams.

would have been useful in last seasons team , this season we will all have to wait and see.

like all the signings so far we will just have to watch and see what happens, my problem is i keep remembering 2004, and i know things are different, but we signed lots of players who were no better than what we had,squad players not guaranteed starters

Am I reading the same long thread? Because I feel no remember reading pretty much the the same about Jay rod 2 years ago.

Only this time we have to pay that tiny bit more because we need more home grown players in the squad.

The disappointment is not the merits of Long, Tadic, Pelle or otherwise.... It's the fact that that whoever we got in, we had still let 3 homegrown , young and exiting talents go to be replaced by the solid, if unspectacular. Whatever, the optimistic believe, we are weaker than last season IMHO, and without players who we had seen develop and integrate from the youth set up.... Not at 23 or 24 when most would have gone with our blessings, but at 19... This is not 'bed wetting' as to be honest there are far more important things in life than a bunch of overpaid prima donnas kicking about a bag of wind - but in the context of football supporting, the anger and rent meant comes from that 'lost opportunity' not signing Shane Long - he is merely another reminder that what took 5 years to build was dismantled in five minutes....

Oh dear oh dear unbelievable some if the comments on here tonight

I seem to recall similar comments being made when we signed SRL from Bristol for 1 million

And people moaned about that on a previous forum

No pleasing some folk . I hope we get ings as well

There was no such response to the signing of Rickie Lambert, you've just made that up to prove a point that doesn't exist. Did one or two people on the forum moan? No doubt they did, but there was no reaction anything like this.

When we signed RL we were signing the best player in the division, and had scored 50 odd goals in his previous two seasons. For Shane Long to be remotely similar in record he'd have needed to be a 15-goals-a-season Prem striker. He ain't.

Am I reading the same long thread? Because I feel no remember reading pretty much the the same about Jay rod 2 years ago.

Only this time we have to pay that tiny bit more because we need more home grown players in the squad.

And another one!

You remember that, do you? Do you really.

I can remember Jay's transfer taking ages and plenty of people on here being frustrated about how long it took to get over the line. I can remember plenty saying he was precisely the type of player we should be buying and plenty of positive response when we signed him.

But you remember the response being like the response to this news. Okay then.

There was no such response to the signing of Rickie Lambert, you've just made that up to prove a point that doesn't exist. Did one or two people on the forum moan? No doubt they did, but there was no reaction anything like this.

When we signed RL we were signing the best player in the division, and had scored 50 odd goals in his previous two seasons. For Shane Long to be remotely similar in record he'd have needed to be a 15-goals-a-season Prem striker. He ain't.

Who realistically should we sign instead that is a proven PL striker and has scored 15 goals?

When people decide to roll out the "I remember it being just like this when we signed so-and-so" made - up story, it's funny they always pick players who turned out well, isn't it.

What about "remembering" the response to us signing Mayuka, or Forren, or Gazzaniga, or other players who funnily enough did not prove forum horrible people wrong.

There is nothing wrong with people being underwhelmed with an underwhelming signing with a proven record of being average in the division we are in. It's not the forum's problem, it's down to player and manager to deliver.

And another one!

You remember that, do you? Do you really.

I can remember Jay's transfer taking ages and plenty of people on here being frustrated about how long it took to get over the line. I can remember plenty saying he was precisely the type of player we should be buying and plenty of positive response when we signed him.

But you remember the response being like the response to this news. Okay then.

Absolutely there was the Saintsweb patented over-reaction to the J-Rod price.

PS there is no way we're paying 12m for a player Hull bought for £8m in Jan IMO.

When people decide to roll out the "I remember it being just like this when we signed so-and-so" made - up story, it's funny they always pick players who turned out well, isn't it.

What about "remembering" the response to us signing Mayuka, or Forren, or Gazzaniga, or other players who funnily enough did not prove forum horrible people wrong.

There is nothing wrong with people being underwhelmed with an underwhelming signing with a proven record of being average in the division we are in. It's not the forum's problem, it's down to player and manager to deliver.

So the simple answer is to wait and see how the player turns out.

Who realistically should we sign instead that is a proven PL striker and has scored 15 goals?

I'm putting the Lambert signing into context, not saying we can sign a proven 15 goal a season Prem striker. Lambert was clearly Pardew's first choice marquee signing in L1, so comparison with us signing Shane Long now is ridiculous, as he is definitely not that.

Shane Long has a track record we can all see, so people being underwhelmed have clear information to go on.

I'm putting the Lambert signing into context, not saying we can sign a proven 15 goal a season Prem striker. Lambert was clearly Pardew's first choice marquee signing in L1, so comparison with us signing Shane Long now is ridiculous, as he is definitely not that.

Shane Long has a track record we can all see, so people being underwhelmed have clear information to go on.

But then we were a huge club in League 1. Now we are just a middle sized club in the prem. We aren't going to be signing those sorts of players. If people continue with this mentality that we should be signing marquee signings then prepare to be constantly underwhelmed.

So many underwhelming names turn out to be fan favourites (S.Davis, Rodriguez) and then so many big names flop (Osvaldo, De Ridder, Ramirez to an extent). But there's no guarantee that players will turn out a certain way until we watch them play and judge for ourselves over the course of a season. My guess is that Shane Long will turn into an asset - importantly, he wants to be here to play and score.

However, I may be proven wrong because my guess is exactly that - a guess or an unsubstantiated gut feeling. Either way let's not be too hasty in judging him, and welcome to the club SL.

But then we were a huge club in League 1. Now we are just a middle sized club in the prem. We aren't going to be signing those sorts of players. If people continue with this mentality that we should be signing marquee signings then prepare to be constantly underwhelmed.

Well my point was this situation is not comparable to when we signed Lambert, so people can stop pretending to "remember" how the forum responded negatively.

Secondly, although some wanted a marquee signing, I didn't, but I think following on from the "our scouting network is outstanding" stuff earlier in the season, I think we were as fans allowed to expect some new talent to arrive who would engage and excite the fans - Tadic has, Gardos will.

If Stoke, WHU, Leicester or QPR had signed him it would merit five posts on the "other clubs transfers" thread, so let's not pretend Shane Long is the only option a club like ours could get.