Shane Long

doggface

2pzifjn.jpg

That is a better starting 11 than at least 8/9 other prem teams imho

When you have the likes of JWP, Davis, Rodriguez, Reed, Schneiderlin, Yoshida, Cork, Gallagher and Mayuka to come in too, I really dont think things are too bad.

If we deliver a decent CB sharpish we should be fine for a mid table finish

The fee apart, and also the question of why the board did not react earlier in this close season to signing a top striker, we are stronger with Shane Long than without.

He has played well against us. He is a team player too, and that has to be good.

Will we be a high scoring team this campaign? Not till Jay returns and recovers his best form (and hopefully does not leave us in January).

Meanwhile much will depend on the strengths of our rebuilt defence (if new signings materialise) and our midfield, which is our strongest asset imo.. A very intriguing season ahead.

Having slept on it and calmed down a tad, he's the sort of player we need. Granted the fee is ludicrous but then Ulloa, Snodgrass, McCormack etc. show that when buying from other teams in England there is very little value to be had. My issue has been the fee and the lack of goals, but having spent some time on YouTube it appears he does make a number of good runs into channels and might be a very good inside forward.

If we can work on his finishing he might be able to get on to the sort of balls Gaston played but Lambert couldn't get to and with Tadic and Gaston feeding him killer balls and poaching some of Pelle's scraps he could turn out to be a very good buy (as long as we can improve his finishing).

That said, I'd be hacked off if we give him the no.7 shirt as the less analytical side of my brain is desperate for an ambitious marquee signing, but anyway I've calmed down and now I think he's a decent signing...

The fee apart, and also the question of why the board did not react earlier in this close season to signing a top striker, we are stronger with Shane Long than without.

He has played well against us. He is a team player too, and that has to be good.

Will we be a high scoring team this campaign? Not till Jay returns and recovers his best form (and hopefully does not leave us in January).

Meanwhile much will depend on the strengths of our rebuilt defence (if new signings materialise) and our midfield, which is our strongest asset imo.. A very intriguing season ahead.

Do you really think that they haven't been trying? Ask yourself, if you were a top striker, why would you want to come to Saints? Trophies? Money? Love of the club?

This is a situation based signing. Yes we´ve tried to get others in, they haven´t come off and now we need to find someone decent who can do a job for us, and Long isn´t the most exciting name but can defenitely be decent enough for us in this situation. The price is inflated yes but this summer shows that the market is crazy and we´ve reaped more from it to be fair....

Guan said very early in the summer that he thought we were aiming to high with our targets and it seems he´s right on that one...

I heard the only reason bony didnt join the scousers , was rodger thought he was purchasing him from southampton

when he heard it wasnt a southampton player, Rodgers pulled out of the transfer as he only buy from saints and not QPR

What has QPR got to do with anything?

not quite sure what that has to do with anything

No of course you wouldn't But for the record, he scored 6 in 35 games. Easy just to write people off before they start. I wonder how many wrote off JRod after his 6 in 35 but now have had a Damascene moment? While Long has had 3 seasons in PL, maybe he has yet to find his true scoring boots. That's the problem with judging people before they have even started. Much better to judge them with hindsight.

In a Swedish news paper today there was news about this deal - and people can comment on each transfer news, PL is VERY big in Sweden so the knowledge about players and teams are "real" if you get my piont? But back on topic - most people think Saints have been very smart during this window and added the right players and fans of other teams looking forward to see the new Saints this year, last season kind of opened up many poeples eyes about Saints many people where impressed with the way Saints played so when other teams fans says we have been smart - I think thats a good sign.

No of course you wouldn't But for the record, he scored 6 in 35 games. Easy just to write people off before they start. I wonder how many wrote off JRod after his 6 in 35 but now have had a Damascene moment? While Long has had 3 seasons in PL, maybe he has yet to find his true scoring boots. That's the problem with judging people before they have even started. Much better to judge them with hindsight.

Long is not an up and coming young player jumping up a division to a newly promoted team.

Long has never scored more than 8 league goals in each of his 6 top flight season. he usually plays at least 30 games in those seasons

he has only ever got double figures once in a single season (league goals) (and twice if you include cup goals. in the champ and prem respectively)

his scoring record is not quite good as carlton cole :|

Edited by Batman

Long would be decent signing imo but I don't believe for one second we would pay £12m outright for him. Recall sky saying lambert deal was worth £9m which was bull**** so would take £12m story with a pinch of salt. More likely 8-10m is my expectation.

I agree with this. I also doubt that he is a "panic buy" or that Les is feeling uncomfortable. We hear that Long has been a target back when Cortese and Pochettino were here so clearly on the radar. We are working our way down a list and I dont see a problem with that at all. The fact that we have gone for Hernandez and Rojo (and Forster) show we have ambition which many were doubting. The reason we are losing out to other clubs is because the other clubs are Manchester United and Inter Milan. We will end up with a solid if unspectacular squad but, if Koeman does see out his full contract, I would hope that we will build on what we have and get even stronger over the next few years.

Long is not an up and coming young player jumping up a division to a newly promoted team.

Long has never scored more than 8 league goals in each of his 6 top flight season. he usually plays at least 30 games in those seasons

he has only ever got double figures once in a single season (league goals) (and twice if you include cup goals. in the champ and prem respectively)

Any chance you can **** off back to sea for the season??

I think it's a good spot by the club. Maybe expensive but he only joined hull a few months ago and did well.

I can see him creating a few assists, knows the PL, is probably on the up after a few weird months at West Brom and can do well on the wing or supporting the main striker. Plus he sounds reliable.

Long may now be playing in a team that can give him more and better chances - thought of that? Why not wait and see what he can do for us? After all, Osvaldo came with a rep for scoring goals and look how that turned out!

jasoneuelllfanclub

Long would be decent signing imo but I don't believe for one second we would pay £12m outright for him. Recall sky saying lambert deal was worth £9m which was bull**** so would take £12m story with a pinch of salt. More likely 8-10m is my expectation.

I agree with this. I also doubt that he is a "panic buy" or that Les is feeling uncomfortable. We hear that Long has been a target back when Cortese and Pochettino were here so clearly on the radar. We are working our way down a list and I dont see a problem with that at all. The fact that we have gone for Hernandez and Rojo (and Forster) show we have ambition which many were doubting. The reason we are losing out to other clubs is because the other clubs are Manchester United and Inter Milan. We will end up with a solid if unspectacular squad but, if Koeman does see out his full contract, I would hope that we will build on what we have and get even stronger over the next few years.

Considering Hull paid 7.5m for him 6 months ago how much would you be happy with after he contributed to a very successful secoond half of the season? Thats why the fee is inflated as well as being from a rival in the same league.

I think we have offered 10m plus 2m add ons but who knows at this precise moment

Always rated him, not as a goal scorer but his all round play as a striker

Long may now be playing in a team that can give him more and better chances - thought of that? Why not wait and see what he can do for us? After all, Osvaldo came with a rep for scoring goals and look how that turned out!

why are you saying I should do that?

where am I not?

do you only see what you want to see....just pointing out that he has never scored more than 8 goals in a top flight season.

if you cant discuss scoring stats for a striker then what can you discuss?

that does not mean people/i am writing him off for pointing out a some facts about him

Shall we offer 6m then and be happy when they reject it and just carry on with one striker?

To say you will be more upset with a signing than a sale is just odd. The money is nothing to you, it will never be in your account and you will never even know the terms of the deal.

Is Long the best striker around? No.

Is he better than what we have? Yes

Does he have attributes none of our others do? Yes

Will he give Koeman more options? Yes

Has he got extensive experience of the PL? Yes

Will he score some goals for us? Yes

Is he overpriced? Yes

Are all players overpriced at the moment? Yes

Would we be a stronger squad for signing him? Yes

I like him. He is a nasty bothersome player that defenders hate. Whilst he's roughing up the defence the likes of tadic Taider and isgrove might just get a bit more space to do what they do. I think that him, Pelle and JRod will be a good trio especially because both JRod and long have that extra big of mobility to work around Pelle who I reckon is a nailed on starter for EPL matches this season unless injured. For sure he's not a really big name player but The way I see it being unloaded by hull city after six months means he never settled. I can't see him not busting a gut to impress koeman with his will to win attitude. He won't be strolling around being a talented classy player that does not score. I hope he will be a dirty nasty aggressive player that WILL and does score dirty nasty scrappy goals. We got enough players who can try and score beautiful goals. GR springs to mind- this one is more of mongrel than a thoroughbred. And I think I like that in our team, he will become a fans favourite given the chance. Think Brett think Steve Moran, think the work rate of Adz, think scoring some goals, think a poor mans Tevez, think a forward of ours getting a few more cards because he is that much more aggressive. Give him that chance guys.

That is a better starting 11 than at least 8/9 other prem teams imho

When you have the likes of JWP, Davis, Rodriguez, Reed, Schneiderlin, Yoshida, Cork, Gallagher and Mayuka to come in too, I really dont think things are too bad.

If we deliver a decent CB sharpish we should be fine for a mid table finish

Lol, he's as good as gone, people need to accept it.

Any chance you can **** off back to sea for the season??

see?

I have said he is a decent signing. just pointing out his scoring stats

which is quite important in discussing a new striker

Be careful what you wish for. One man's relief is another's pain.

underthesea.png

Jay was 23 years old and playing his first ever season in the Premier League. Even so, there were doubts over his £7m price tag.

Shane is 27 years old, has already played 3 season in the Premier League and proven himself to be distinctly average in all of them.

we could sign Ronaldo,messi and the muppets on here would still moan

get realistic guys,we aren't a cl team,we probably never will be,look at our achievements in the past fifty years,fa cup winners once.

shane long isn't a £12million player but that's the market rate we've to pay

the plus side is if jrod goes in January or next summer we should get a good few million for him.

so lets support the guy and see how he does before knocking him,personally I think he's an ok striker and rk will hopefully get the best out of him

I agree. I really do despair some times at the attitudes of some people on here. Come on guys, what on earth were you expecting? For myself, I think he's a very useful addition to the squad and if he chips in with his usual 8 goals a season will turn out to be good value.

Of the teams that finished below us last season, only Benteke, Remy and Bony scored double figures. All would cost £20m ish and wouldn't come to us anyway. My point being, assuming we want BPL experience, who else is there?? No, Long isn't prolific. The above names are better but the prolific strikers (Suarez, Aguero, Rooney etc) win titles, and cost sums we can't offer.

I think we've forgotten that the buzz in Holland and when he first came over here is that Koeman prides himself to coach players to be better and improve, a true test of this will be how we rate Long at the end of the season as we are judging him on him playing for some of the worst managers in the PL style wise. Perhaps with some specific coaching and a defined role he could be another Jrod on the opposite wing !!

"Furthermore, he takes young talented players and makes them better, more technical and intelligent".

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/new-southampton-boss-ronald-koeman-3706461#ixzz3AGhXm3oc

Frazier Campbell.

Really surprised more didn't look at him. He's average to good at this level, but has shown flashes of more and get the feeling the right club could get a lot out of him. More to the point, 800k for a player who will chip in with a few goals? Great value.

800k for a workmanlike average attacker i could get even if it wouldn't excite me. spending 12m million on one is ridiculous.

Frazier Campbell.

Really surprised more didn't look at him. He's average to good at this level, but has shown flashes of more and get the feeling the right club could get a lot out of him. More to the point, 800k for a player who will chip in with a few goals? Great value.

Works very hard for the team too - typically shrewd Pulis signing.

I agree. I really do despair some times at the attitudes of some people on here. Come on guys, what on earth were you expecting? For myself, I think he's a very useful addition to the squad and if he chips in with his usual 8 goals a season will turn out to be good value.

Shane Long for half the price, or someone else much better for £12m.

I've stuck by the board all summer, I am pretty pleased with the signings thus far and we got good prices for those who have left. This transfer has a whiff of desperation about it, as though we've failed to secure any of our other targets and have thought, "sh*t we need a striker, now," 3 days before the season kicks off.

It reminds me of 2007 a bit, when we got spanked by Palace on the opening day and it suddenly occurred to Burley that a football team may actually need defenders. So he went out and bough Wayne Thomas for £1.2m, a few days after Coventry had a bid of £250k accepted.

I think we've forgotten that the buzz in Holland and when he first came over here is that Koeman prides himself to coach players to be better and improve, a true test of this will be how we rate Long at the end of the season as we are judging him on him playing for some of the worst managers in the PL style wise. Perhaps with some specific coaching and a defined role he could be another Jrod on the opposite wing !!

"Furthermore, he takes young talented players and makes them better, more technical and intelligent".

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/new-southampton-boss-ronald-koeman-3706461#ixzz3AGhXm3oc

If he was 21, not 28 or thereabouts, I'd agree.

Frazier Campbell.

You obviously rate Campbell more than a lot of the rest of us do then, which is fair enough. In my mind Long is a far better player than Campbell.

Frazier Campbell.

He is only 9 months younger than Shane Long, so not an up and coming striker either.

End of the day, Hull are set to get 12m for Long and then spend 10m on Troy Deeney.

Who is getting the best of that deal? One has played over 100 PL games, the other none.

One has been in prison, the other hasn't...similar age.

The prices are crazy this summer, if you don't pay them then you wouldnt be able to bring anyone in.

If we sell Jay we would all expect us to ask for at least £20m, which is would probably make a player like Long worth somewhere in the region of £10m by comparison.