PREMIER LEAGUE DUMMY-SPITTING TOP 6

1. Drama Queen [insert Saints Web poster here]

2. Bedwetter [insert Saints Web poster here]

3. Hysterical Tart [insert Saints Web poster here]

4. Knee-Jerker [insert Saints Web poster here]

5. Pillow-Biter [insert Saints Web poster here]

6. Mischievous Skate [insert Saints Web poster here]

Opportunity missed.

The Fruitloop Eleven would also make interesting reading.

I guess ever club has them?

What rumours, the one you just made up?

Ryan Bertrand has never played for West Brom :?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I refuse to believe we are in for Shane Long until he follows a bunch of our players on Social Media. That's how it works, right?

Shane Long and Ryan Bertrand would both have played together in the 2009/10 season for Reading in the Championship.

I keep reading this and I keep thinking, if we COULD get Ings we probably would have done so by now surely. Which probably means we aren't going too, for whatever reason.

I've only ever seen Long play against us so I am not in a position to comment on his value. But if the manager reckons he can work with him so be it.

I also tend to think he won't be the last attacking signing before the end of the window but again that's just my best guess.

I personally think the club knows Ings has a season left on his contract and is willing to risk signing him next summer on a free rather than an overinflated fee this summer. Of course that's dependent on Burnley not offering him a decent new contract or another club having the same idea as us.

As for Long, seeing how it strengthens our attacking options comforts me. I'm looking forward to getting it over the line, and Gardos, and moving on to strengthening other areas like AM, RB and possibly another CB. Then there's the Schneiderlin problem...

Frazier Campbell.

Really surprised more didn't look at him. He's average to good at this level, but has shown flashes of more and get the feeling the right club could get a lot out of him. More to the point, 800k for a player who will chip in with a few goals? Great value.

I'd take Kenwyne over him, which is a damning indictment of the quality of bottom-half strikers in the Premier League - then again, given tactical shifts away from multiple strikers, there's probably only half as many of them to begin with as there was in 2000. Can you imagine us needing 4 strikers of starting ability like most teams had when we were in the Premier League before?

What's better one Shane Long or twenty-four Billy Sharps?

Depends what you want to do. I don't think Shane Long could right a rolled car, but I reckon 24 Billy Sharps could.

I think part of the concern here is that some people don't actually think Long is much better than Sharp.

Did they play together at Reading?
I meant Reading and deleted what I originally wrote when I edited the part about Long and Hodgson at West Brom. They are mates from both their time in Birmingham as the video shows.

Completely ignoring the fee, which either can or cannot be justified based on your disposition, how do people see him fitting in?

I see his qualities but don't know how he works with anything other than two strikers on the pitch, which we've not done in two seasons now. I really do not see him as a Jay Rod 'outside left' type of player. If he is Pelle's backup then I am concerned as he is not a target man. Is he 'just an option' for when we need two up front?

Completely ignoring the fee, which either can or cannot be justified based on your disposition, how do people see him fitting in?

I see his qualities but don't know how he works with anything other than two strikers on the pitch, which we've not done in two seasons now. I really do not see him as a Jay Rod 'outside left' type of player. If he is Pelle's backup then I am concerned as he is not a target man. Is he 'just an option' for when we need two up front?

He actually is decent at playing on his own or in a two. I think he will be back up and not a starter in general.

Not sure if he can play outside left, struggles with the ball at his feet (his first touch is pretty poor) so can't see him picking the ball up in deep positions or running at players. Much better when the ball is played in front of him.

Could link well with Pelle; but as Pelle doesn't drift as much as Lambert, preferring to stay central (almost to the point of being static), there is a risk that Long would get isolated unless he was also played through the middle.

Not sure that is quite right' date=' although I know what you mean... but IMHO its more about what it symbolizes. We all know the risks associated with exotic sounding players who may or may not want to come or adapt etc. But given we had been told that the club wanted to build towards a 50%+ of first team from the academy, supplemented by some externals signings, and that this was what we finally saw last season - (and it looked like there was so much potential still to be realised and seen this season...) only for 3 academy products to be sold off and replaced by solid if unspectacular names... it just shows how the direction and strategy has shifted. I think we have lost the momentum we had over those last 5 seasons, and the continuity that came with that set of players. Yes all these things do eventually come to an end, and a club of our size and reputation does need to be realistic about these things... but selling academy products at 19 and replacing them with late 20s 'journeymen' is just not a model I have any affinity with... no matter how, pragmatic it may be... its just...'bland' ... the sort of thing Villa, Stoke, etc have been doing for years - just stay up and keep taking the money, with no real desire to ever be anything more - and that is what is depressing. 'Uber fans' may baulk at anyone moaning about it - but it goes against the sporting ideal... and its crap.[/quote']

What happened to 'the benefit of the doubt' 'we don't know all the facts' 'let's view this in a positive light until it's proven otherwise' 'we don't know'

That was your manta under cortese when something happened you didn't like. Come on Franco, this negativity isn't like you at all!!

Which is precisely why deals should have been done earlier in the window. Whichever way you look at it, this summer has been a monumental f*ck up. There should be consequences for the people at the top, the same way that there would be in other organisations that see a huge decrease in ambition and performance.

Big Fish eats little fish, big f++king deal. If you expected anything less this summer then you really need to realign your expectations.

I am really excited for the coming season. No doubt it will be a bumpy road but as we will never be title challenges we do get to see how the team and young players develop. If they turn out to be CL quality then expect a fair amount of them to leave. And so it all begins again. Life in the premier league will be like this for us.

I live and work amongst a lot of Brighton fans and I must admit to being a bit jealous of them being in a proper football league, where it is almost as unpredictable as the PL Is predictable.

On past form 10 goals for a 38 game season - thats £1.2m a goal divided by the number of seasons of any contract he signs. Not sure whether thats good, bad or indifferent to be honest.....

Its indifferent - 1 goal every four games - although in fairly poor teams. If he could get up to 1 goal in 3 for Saints he and we would do well.

Its indifferent - 1 goal every four games - although in fairly poor teams. If he could get up to 1 goal in 3 for Saints he and we would do well.

poor teams?

WBA finished 8th and hull come runners up in the Cup and now in Europe?

how were we that much better/going to be that much better?

Just behind Pelle. Davis is a good player for us but Saturday showed me that we need something more in that position. Long nipping in and around there making runs and generally making a nuisance of himself might just work. With Tadic and Gaston on either flank.

Then you are happy with the signing, getting a player from great teams?

:)

Trouble with continually making irrational posts for the sake of it, trying to always find a moan, you end up confusing yourself!

Think, if this goes through, the fire sale posters will realise (as was obvious to most) was unusual transition with players going to top four clubs when they can, as they invariably do.