Shane Long

doggface

Not really. Long has a poor scoring record in what have been fairly well performing teams. Just because a player has played for a good team does not automatically make him a good player. Certainly not worth 12 million at any rate.

Lets face it is quite possible for Long to perform better for SFC than WBA and Hull.

I fully expect Long to perform better than Osvaldo who we paid more for

Dont really understand why you support SFC when you continually whinge all the time its not like you can do anything about it as Kat owns the Club and her Execs have and will bring in players who are worth what the other club is prepared to accept

who loses their place for Long?

be interesting to see where he plays

Isgrove, I'd expect.

When he had his storming season for Reading, he played with Noel Hunt - but he often played on the left side of that attack, with Kebe - I believe, on the other side.

Scored 21 goals, but also got 12 assists that year.

who loses their place for Long?

be interesting to see where he plays

He is definitely more a striker who could possibly do a job out wide than a winger, but no team gets through the season with just one striker, and he offers a different threat from Pelle hence us being interested in him.

In our setup with the likes of Tadic and Ramirez to thread balls through to him, and Pelle to play off - he should do ok. Decent in the air, good level of pace, and high work rate. A good player who when he is playing well is a pain to play against whereas most of our players seems quite "nice". Also never really caused any trouble at a club from what I recall.

What I was responding to was someone saying we should be happy to sign Long because he comes from well performing teams. I was pointing out that that doesn't make him a good player.

doesn’t make him a bad player either. In general good players play for good teams

Long is a good solid prem player.

If you want to see the potential of Shane Long you should watch the WBA vs Villa game from Nov last season. Long was outstanding and scored two great goals. Granted he doesn’t do that every week, but that’s why he's costing 10-12m and not £35-40m

If peeps can look past the 'rumoured' transfer fee they will see we are getting a very decent squad member with Prem experience. He will socre goals for us, he will create goals for us - that is a guarantee.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I refuse to believe we are in for Shane Long until he follows a bunch of our players on Social Media. That's how it works, right?

Shane Long and Ryan Bertrand would both have played together in the 2009/10 season for Reading in the Championship.

They did indeed, and what a massive difference they made to Reading's results... :

Matches with S Long and R Bertrand W9 D6 L8

As a %: 39 26 35

Matches without S Long and R Bertrand W10 D10 L11

As a %: 32 32 35

(Sarcasm)

Lets face it is quite possible for Long to perform better for SFC than WBA and Hull.

I fully expect Long to perform better than Osvaldo who we paid more for

Dont really understand why you support SFC when you continually whinge all the time its not like you can do anything about it as Kat owns the Club and her Execs have and will bring in players who are worth what the other club is prepared to accept

I support them because I enjoy going to games, because I enjoy meeting up with my mates before and having a few beers, because I like it when the club buy exciting players that are good investments (as they did with Tadic, Wanyama, Lovren, Jay Rod and I said so at the time), because I like to see us be successful and because I have supported the club since I was little. I support the club for lot of reasons but support for me does not mean blindly trying to find positives in an incredibly depressing and poorly handled summer. I'll criticise the club when I feel it is necessary thanks and praise them when appropriate (see the Forster and Tadic threads for example.) The club have not done a lot this summer to deserve praise so no wonder they are getting more criticism than praise.

Don't get this whole "moaning when we don't sign someone and then moan when we do" argument. By that logic we might as well spend £8m on Danny Fox, or £20m on Peter Crouch. Having money is one thing but spending £12m on seriously average players is stupid. Reading the West Brom views seems most were delighted when he left http://westbrom.com/forum/index.php?topic=2609.0

Isgrove, I'd expect.

When he had his storming season for Reading, he played with Noel Hunt - but he often played on the left side of that attack, with Kebe - I believe, on the other side.

Scored 21 goals, but also got 12 assists that year.

they played 442, didnt they

kebe and McAnuff on the wings?

doesn’t make him a bad player either. In general good players play for good teams

Long is a good solid prem player.

If you want to see the potential of Shane Long you should watch the WBA vs Villa game from Nov last season. Long was outstanding and scored two great goals. Granted he doesn’t do that every week, but that’s why he's costing 10-12m and not £35-40m

If peeps can look past the 'rumoured' transfer fee they will see we are getting a very decent squad member with Prem experience. He will socre goals for us, he will create goals for us - that is a guarantee.

I didn't say it did but then I wasn't the one arguing that we should be pleased about the signing because he comes from a good team.

He was a s***te signing and a massive waste of money.

Yeah?.....How many other Saints players have scored goals like he did against Man City?.......Given time, Osvaldo would have worked out just fine for us.

He was just the first player of many at the Club to implement his exit strategy when he found out Cortese was being replaced by the current Board of Fools.....can't say i blame him either

Yeah?.....How many other Saints players have scored goals like he did against Man City?.......Given time, Osvaldo would have worked out just fine for us.

He was just the first player of many at the Club to implement his exit strategy when he found out Cortese was being replaced by the current Board of Fools.....can't say i blame him either

An exit strategy that included violently assaulting one of our most senior players? O...K.... :uhoh: :lol:

Yeah, fair point, why wasn't Osvaldo given time? Just why? :lol:

Forster

Clyne - - Font - - New CB (Yoshi) - Bertrand

-------------------Wanyama (Cork)-----------

----------Morgan/JWP---- Taider/Davis

-----------------------Tadic (Ramirez)--------

--------------Pelle(SG)------Rodriguez(Long)

To my mind, that's a very decent team provided we sign a good CB. Lots of competition everywhere apart from defence. I think we will have more options off the bench this season, at least.

They did indeed, and what a massive difference they made to Reading's results... :

Matches with S Long and R Bertrand W9 D6 L8

As a %: 39 26 35

Matches without S Long and R Bertrand W10 D10 L11

As a %: 32 32 35

(Sarcasm)

That's quite a big difference, like comparing Pochettino to Steve Bruce eh Heisenberg? ;)

7 out of 11 that have never played a premiership game for us that looks scary if we get nervy because we havent gelled the scousers could eat us alive!

Makes you wonder who the captain would be if Fonte is injured. Clyne is the second longest serving player in that line up.

It worked didn't it?.....He was first on the life boat and away. Look where dithering got Morgan?......Stuck in the engine room while the great ship SFC sinks to the bottom.

Dithering at the World Cup you mean, those that got knocked out in the first round got their exit pass, those that didn't have to stay because Krusty says so.

He didn't want time that's why...When he saw what was on the horizon he got the **** out of Dodge just the same as all the others.....He was just quicker on his toes.

Complete balls. He signed and then realised that he didn't really want to be here pretty early on. Can't believe the moronic people who think that Cortese has some mystical hold over the players. If so, I guess I should be honoured to have the only PL chairman ever to be like this.

Complete balls. He signed and then realised that he didn't really want to be here pretty early on. Can't believe the moronic people who think that Cortese has some mystical hold over the players. If so, I guess I should be honoured to have the only PL chairman ever to be like this.

Who knows, in his first interview at Inter the other day he said he found he could not adapt to English football at all.

He didn't want time that's why...When he saw what was on the horizon he got the **** out of Dodge just the same as all the others.....He was just quicker on his toes.
As I said originally, s**t signing that was a big waste of money. Glad we've got that confirmed.

Initially I was disappointed and angry about our move for Shane Long but having had time to reflect and think it over, I'm now ****ing livid. £12m for a player who only moved in January for £7.5m! Are we ****ing mental??? Had he scored 20 in 15 games then maybe but 4 goal in 15 games does not warrant a 60% increase in value.

This is nothing more than a panic buy and we've bought someone who is basically a Championship standard striker for £12m quid. The list of players we could've got for a fraction of the price is endless. I'm pretty confident that we could've got 2 strikers of a similar standard from the Championship for far less money. This is an absolute joke. Progress??? **** off! The club is going nowhere. Rant over... for now.

Initially I was disappointed and angry about our move for Shane Long but having had time to reflect and think it over, I'm now ****ing livid. £12m for a player who only moved in January for £7.5m! Are we ****ing mental??? Had he scored 20 in 15 games then maybe but 4 goal in 15 games does not warrant a 60% increase in value.

This is nothing more than a panic buy and we've bought someone who is basically a Championship standard striker for £12m quid. The list of players we could've got for a fraction of the price is endless. I'm pretty confident that we could've got 2 strikers of a similar standard from the Championship for far less money. This is an absolute joke. Progress??? **** off! The club is going nowhere. Rant over... for now.

Ur gonna look pretty dumb when we sell him to Liverpool for £25m