Shane Long

doggface

Are you serious? Have you ever seen Welbeck play?

For info:

Premier League

Welbeck 116 games, 26 goals

Long 146 games, 28 goals

However, Long has played those games for West Brom, Hull, and Reading.

I agree £12m is a lot but not when compared to £14m for Welbeck.

Did you actually just try to argue longs ability against welbeck by posting up stats that support the latter ? Jesus wept

Let alone the fact that generally Welbeck plays pushed out wide and so has scoring chances restricted.

Id take Welbeck in a heart beat, great little player, hard worker, and young. A snip at an extra 2million.

I seriously am worried about our receuitment departments ability

If you're right a goal difference of +13 could have seen us in 6th last season.

fingers crossed, although my justification for 53 was:

12 - Long

15 - Pelle

20 - Midfield

6 - Defence

Which I am sure we can achieve. We can ship less than 40 if we keep Boruc and sign a decent CB.

12 - Long

15 - Pelle

20 - Midfield

6 - Defence

Which I am sure we can achieve. We can ship less than 40 if we keep Boruc and sign a decent CB.

No way Long and Pelle will get 27 PL goals between them. Nor will our midfield get near 20.

12 - Long

15 - Pelle

20 - Midfield

6 - Defence

I would be very surprised if Pelle gets 15 goals, though I can see Long getting 12.

Your comments regarding Bertrand establish you as being somebody capable of opening your mouth before engaging your brain, so as you have previous, who is to know whether your comments on Long are your knee-jerk thoughts on him, or your carefully considered opinion? It really isn't for you to say whether any crass remarks you made are irrelevant in hindsight, as they are evidence of your scatter-gun opinions on players who have not yet kicked a ball for us.

Suggesting that Welbeck would be a better signing than Long is all very well, but as Long is already overpriced apparently, Wellbeck is fine for a couple of million more, regardless of you not having the faintest idea of what his wage demands might be. Neither do you know whether he would be prepared to come here, any more than you know whether he would go to Hull. You don't even know whether we might not have made discrete enquiries over his availability and willingness to sign for us, so making comparisons between the two of them is the bilge unless Hull sign him for a comparable fee to Long's. Following on logically from that, any opinions about the mental state of the Club's management is churlish to say the least. No doubt you think that you could do a better job of it.

Wellbeck, one of the most over-rated strikers to have played for England these past several years, the modern day equivalent of Heskey.

Well done wes,

You have managed to write three puffed up paragraphs that are able to say not much at all, I really have to take my hat off to that.

Hull might not sign Welbeck, equally we might not sign long, I dont see the wrong in making the arguement that if both sign for their respected clubs then we get the worst side of the deal. You are welcome to your opinion btw, its highly incorrect but welcome all the same.

No way Long and Pelle will get 27 PL goals between them. Nor will our midfield get near 20.

I would be very surprised if Pelle gets 15 goals, though I can see Long getting 12.

Plus there is Rodriguez to come back and I can see Ramirez getting 10 (depending on where he plays). The numbers per player are up for debate but a plus 13 goal difference is achievable.

Well done wes,

You have managed to write three puffed up paragraphs that are able to say not much at all, I really have to take my hat off to that.

Hull might not sign Welbeck, equally we might not sign long, I dont see the wrong in making the arguement that if both sign for their respected clubs then we get the worst side of the deal. You are welcome to your opinion btw, its highly incorrect but welcome all the same.

Quite standard for Wes. A bit like FC in that not only is he wrong, but he has to bore you into submission to prove it.

Did you actually just try to argue longs ability against welbeck by posting up stats that support the latter ? Jesus wept

Let alone the fact that generally Welbeck plays pushed out wide and so has scoring chances restricted.

Id take Welbeck in a heart beat, great little player, hard worker, and young. A snip at an extra 2million.

Would you take him fwith 75k a week wages?

Plus there is Rodriguez to come back and I can see Ramirez getting 10 (depending on where he plays). The numbers per player are up for debate but a plus 13 goal difference is achievable.

I think people need to stop factoring in Rodriguez unfortunately. The chances of him A) recovering his form this season, and B) staying with us are both very slim.

I don't particularly rate Welbeck -at least in terms of being international class- but he is better than Long. His performance last season against us at SMS was Jrodesque and would have fitted very nicely into a front three with or without Jrod.

Anyway, it's all academic - hull are unlikely to get him, though wonder if we would have stood a better chance. Probably not right now.

Whether he is better than Long or not is somewhat immaterial if he is earning £75k a week. If the club have a wage structure in place, it is so much better to stick to it. I am presuming Hull would have to smash theirs for him to go there, which is a bad move. Personally I would prefer Long to Welbeck, not least because of personality. Welbeck is too flash.

How much had we spent over previous summers - how many £100K pw players did we have on our wage bill? Players were under no illusions about what they were signing up to or the constraints we would be operating under - your daft, unprovable 'footballers aren't the brightest bunch" doesn't change the fact that they know what side their bread is buttered on.

OK, fair point, I'll take back that "daft" hunch and agree with you that footballers are the brightest breed in the world...

I heard Hull have made an offer to buy Wellbeck, if we buy Long for 12 m and they get Wellbeck for 5m more they will be quids in. i suggest we phone OT now and get him.

Welbeck isn't leaving Man Utd.

See this....http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2724399/Danny-Welbeck-targeted-Hull-Man-United-striker-faces-bit-role-new-boss-Louis-van-Gaal.html

and this... http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/manchester-uniteds-danny-welbeck-transfer-4046635

Watch them be taken down by this afternoon.

How much of that "drive and ambition" was built on shallow foundations? (aka 'false hope')

Welcome back btw :)

That however is opinion of which 99% of the information is on this board.

It might have been built on shallow foundation but it worked, the image was a strong one with Cortese building a 'don't mess with us' look, away from the push over, aw poor Southampton roll over and tickle our belly image that we have now returned to. Trousers, do you not think now the 'ambition' talk les is giving the new signings is just full of hot air?

And welcome back Weston Saint, yawnn.. IMO the only reason you sulked and 'left' is that lallanas halo slipped and left the club on disgusting terms. Although did enjoy your ITK Lallana info..

Great one mate, because that's what I've clearly done. If you're not intelligent enough to be condescending, you probably shouldn't try.

Welbeck has played for one of the top sides in the country and has failed to impress time after time. He has also played as a front three numerous times but his goalscoring record is little better than Long's, who has played for mid to lower league sides.

I would put money that if Long does sign he would score more goals for us than Welbeck (wherever he plays) next season.

Welbeck isn't leaving Man Utd.

See this....http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2724399/Danny-Welbeck-targeted-Hull-Man-United-striker-faces-bit-role-new-boss-Louis-van-Gaal.html

and this... http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/manchester-uniteds-danny-welbeck-transfer-4046635

If my only choice were bit part player at Man U and key player for Hull - I'd still opt to stay at Man U and wait for a better offer.

Opinion or fact? My opinion would concur, which leaves Hull going for Deeney? I see their attempts to get Welbeck akin to ours getting Hernandez.

The players United want to sell have been notified, Welbeck isn't one of those. If Hull offer a ridiculous amount of money then of course things can change but contrary to those reports LvH actually rates Welbeck. Equally, Hull won't be able to afford his wages.

You are welcome to your opinion btw, its highly incorrect but welcome all the same.

Which bits are incorrect? Hypo's propensity to make baseless snap judgements? The assumed prices of each player? Assumptions of what each might earn? Whether we have made discrete enquiries about Wellbeck? My opinion on Wellbeck's ability or lack of it?

And as these are opinions we are discussing, it is a bit arrogant to take the position that yours is right and mine is wrong, isn't it?

Great one mate, because that's what I've clearly done. If you're not intelligent enough to be condescending, you probably shouldn't try.

Welbeck has played for one of the top sides in the country and has failed to impress time after time. He has also played as a front three numerous times but his goalscoring record is little better than Long's, who has played for mid to lower league sides.

I would put money that if Long does sign he would score more goals for us than Welbeck (wherever he plays) next season.

Not intelligent enough to be condescending.... Righto

From the lad that posted up an arguement on goalscoring stats between strikers and plumped for the man with a worse ratio.

Despite the fact again that long is often first choice in his prefered position and tends to be the focal points of his teams and still scored less then a man still learning his trade, is often played wide and more often then not doesnt start for a team that has plenty of attacking talent.

Yeah... Ok

Which bits are incorrect? Hypo's propensity to make baseless snap judgements? The assumed prices of each player? Assumptions of what each might earn? Whether we have made discrete enquiries about Wellbeck? My opinion on Wellbeck's ability or lack of it?

And as these are opinions we are discussing, it is a bit arrogant to take the position that yours is right and mine is wrong, isn't it?

I think you already made that judgement that your opinion is beyond reproach and hypos is miles out of the ballpark, despite you waffling out a string of baseless guff to do nothing more then have a pop at another poster.

Everyone is presuming, long wont be on small wages, I personally wouldnt expect long or welbecks wages to be a million miles away from each others.

I will say your opinion on welbecks ability is incorrect yes. I think Id take hodgson, moyes and SAFs opinions aswell as my own over some high and mighty windbag on saintsweb

I think you already made that judgement that your opinion is beyond reproach and hypos is miles out of the ballpark, despite you waffling out a string of baseless guff to do nothing more then have a pop at another poster.

Everyone is presuming, long wont be on small wages, I personally wouldnt expect long or welbecks wages to be a million miles away from each others.

I will say your opinion on welbecks ability is incorrect yes. I think Id take hodgson, moyes and SAFs opinions aswell as my own over some high and mighty windbag on saintsweb

I think you might be wrong on the basic wage, but we don't really know. What I do know, however, is that like all MU's senior players, Wellbeck is on a percentage of the kit deal and other commercial revenue. I am assuming that Long is not earning quite as much from Hull's deal with Cash Converters.

I think you might be wrong on the basic wage, but we don't really know. What I do know, however, is that like all MU's senior players, Wellbeck is on a percentage of the kit deal and other commercial revenue. I am assuming that Long is not earning quite as much from Hull's deal with Cash Converters.

:lol:

Also look at the ages of the 2

Hull City manager Steve Bruce says Southampton's £12m bid for striker Shane Long was too good to turn down.

According to the Hull Daily Mail, Southampton's initial bid was close to the £7m Hull paid to sign the 27-year-old striker from West Bromwich Albion in January, but when that was rejected the offer rose to £9m and then on to the figure which was accepted by the club on Tuesday night.

"We'd not been looking to sell Shane but it's a fantastic offer and we've decided to accept it," Bruce tells the newspaper. "The challenge is always to become bigger and better and this money will be put towards strengthening again. Whether you are Cristiano Ronaldo or Lionel Messi, everyone in football has got their price. Myself and the owners didn't want to lose Shane but we accept it's a very good offer, especially when you consider what we paid in January. I've got no issues."

I cannot believe we have gone through a list like below and the best we can get was Mr Long.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1987174-ranking-the-50-best-forwards-in-europe-by-goals-and-productivity-this-season

Josip Drmic (7th in Europe) is surely affordable and worthy of a £12m punt. There are so many others before you get to Shane Long, one wonders if we even have scouts at all.

Very perceptive, but he also played at St Mary's on Saturday for his new club.

Ah, so it was my opinion on Wellbeck's ability or lack of it that rankles most. Tell me, did you form your own opinion on Wellbeck, or was it formed for you because he must be good, as Hodgson, Moyes and SAF rate him?

But this doesn't seem to work the other way around, does it? If Koeman or Reed rate players enough to consider buying them, it is fair game for some mighty windbags on Saintsweb to claim that they are rubbish signings. Hodgson's managerial credentials are inviolate are they, despite England coming bottom of our group and failing to get into the second phase of matches? Moyes' opinions are never infallible, despite signing Fellaini for United? SAF is pretty untouchable generally, but then he didn't play Welbeck that often.

So you don't think that Long's wages will be substantially different to Welbeck's even given the level of clubs that they play for? OK.

But I'm trying to reason with someone who obsessively buys into the world class Gerrard myth and other England bull****, so I'm the real idiot here.

Don't forget how Smirking drove Lambart out of the club also, lot of bros still haven't forgiven him for that!

I have sussed smirkings tactics

Have a go at anyone that has a different opinion to him or herself unless the opinion is consistent with them

Mr Smirk , there are and always differing opinions on situations on every topic across the globe

as someone once said opinions are like arseholes , everyone has one

even you but at this moment of time I think you are well and truly constipated giving some of the nonsense your trying to eek out of your backside (sorry mouth)

I have sussed smirkings tactics

Have a go at anyone that has a different opinion to him or herself unless the opinion is consistent with them

Mr Smirk , there are and always differing opinions on situations on every topic across the globe

as someone once said opinions are like arseholes , everyone has one

even you but at this moment of time I think you are well and truly constipated giving some of the nonsense your trying to eek out of your backside (sorry mouth)

What ? That Welbeck is likely a better deal then Long ?

Im not even really saying Long is a poor signing, I wont lie, Id be underwhelmed considering the level of budget that we had at our disposal. He will be ok, atleast for 1 maybe 2 seasons of transition. He will grab a few goals. 12m seems a lot aswell, but realistically its probably only 2mish north of what is a reasonable price.

Welbeck is a decent young player, plenty of hardwork and potential and will add balance to a front three. He will get goals too IMO.

My point mainly is that its been a pretty poor window as much for getting players in as for those leaving.

That said Ive seen a trend, Ive mainly been trying to debate openly and discuss things but whats the point ? It seems those that feel all is ok are self rightious and are happy to berate differing opinions, which is highly hypocritical when the criticism is aimed at them.

yep we know you are ,The real SG is a total C*** as well

Ahh ok, Im add hypocrisy on the list of your other traits then viking ?

Not only do you mainly speak jibberish, have an eternal head in the sand optimism that would be admirable if it werent sickly but you fail to see the similarity between you jumping over peoples opinions and them doing the same to your own

Welbeck is a decent young player, plenty of hardwork and potential and will add balance to a front three. He will get goals too IMO.

You need to make your mind up mate :facepalm:

Welbeck and Carrick are ****, no arguements

Welbeck, cleverley, downing, carroll, jagielka, walker

All crap