Shane Long

doggface

Initially I was disappointed and angry about our move for Shane Long but having had time to reflect and think it over, I'm now ****ing livid. £12m for a player who only moved in January for £7.5m! Are we ****ing mental??? Had he scored 20 in 15 games then maybe but 4 goal in 15 games does not warrant a 60% increase in value.

This is nothing more than a panic buy and we've bought someone who is basically a Championship standard striker for £12m quid. The list of players we could've got for a fraction of the price is endless. I'm pretty confident that we could've got 2 strikers of a similar standard from the Championship for far less money. This is an absolute joke. Progress??? **** off! The club is going nowhere. Rant over... for now.

If we have a good season these posts will come back to haunt you.....

Initially I was disappointed and angry about our move for Shane Long but having had time to reflect and think it over, I'm now ****ing livid. £12m for a player who only moved in January for £7.5m! Are we ****ing mental??? Had he scored 20 in 15 games then maybe but 4 goal in 15 games does not warrant a 60% increase in value.

This is nothing more than a panic buy and we've bought someone who is basically a Championship standard striker for £12m quid. The list of players we could've got for a fraction of the price is endless. I'm pretty confident that we could've got 2 strikers of a similar standard from the Championship for far less money. This is an absolute joke. Progress??? **** off! The club is going nowhere. Rant over... for now.

Shut up

Please enlighten us which experienced BPL strikers we could have signed?

If the list is endless and realistic, go on then...

Ings doesn't want to move down here yet. He will probably join next Summer on a free, but I believe he wants to see how this season goes with Burnley.

Plus 12, on someone you could get for compensation next summer, having never seen him perform in the PL, is quite a risk. Especially when, at 21 or 22, he has already had serious injury.

If Ings gives Burnley a better chance of staying up, they probably think it's worth it to keep him and gamble him leaving on a free for an increased chance of an extra year of Premier League income.

As for Long, this article pretty well reflects my view now; http://thepremierleagueowl.com/shane-long-southampton-and-some-impending-incredulity/

Is this a typo or intentional........?

He doesn’t score a lot of goals and he’s not in any way flashy, but he’s one of the hardest working forwards in the county;

Feck me you are full of ****e sometimes

ART, I have been asking this a number of times about EPL (not BPL) but all I have got so far is that experience is not important.

Affordable (wages and transfer), experienced, home grown and is happy to come here = not much of a choice. Me, I am happy with Long even if the fee seems £2-3m too high, but then who knows exactly what the fee is?

ART, I have been asking this a number of times about EPL (not BPL) but all I have got so far is that experience is not important.

Affordable (wages and transfer), experienced, home grown and is happy to come here = not much of a choice. Me, I am happy with Long even if the fee seems £2-3m too high, but then who knows exactly what the fee is?

I am not over the moon about signing him but if he joins so be it, he is one of us but 12m I would have been amazed at 6m.

if people had said let's go for Long at 8m in May they would have been laughed off here. People's opinions have been moulded to the positive as it is a signing. I don't see how Kruegers words of we will be in a stronger position at the start of September is going to happen. I would not have swapped Long for RL +8 m, in fact. I would not have done a straight swap

I am not over the moon about signing him but if he joins so be it, he is one of us but 12m I would have been amazed at 6m.

if people had said let's go for Long at 8m in May they would have been laughed off here. People's opinions have been moulded to the positive as it is a signing. I don't see how Kruegers words of we will be in a stronger position at the start of September is going to happen. I would not have swapped Long for RL +8 m, in fact. I would not have done a straight swap

You are probably right, but time will tell and then with hindsight we can actually make a proper assessment. Pelle is the main striker along with JRod (if he stays). I think that we can all acknowledge that Long is not a natural goal scorer, so maybe his role is somewhat different. I am sure we'll be able to see what's what after 3 or 4 games.

Looking at recent signings......apart from Forren, Osvaldo and possibly Ramirez (although again 3 or 4 games will tell us whether he is ever going to step up to the plate), the scouts and those that sign players haven't been too bad. Jos and Yoshida do a job, sometimes not very well, but before Lovren came, they kept us in the league. Mayuka hasn't progressed as hoped, but I can understand why he was signed.

You are probably right, but time will tell and then with hindsight we can actually make a proper assessment. Pelle is the main striker along with JRod (if he stays). I think that we can all acknowledge that Long is not a natural goal scorer, so maybe his role is somewhat different. I am sure we'll be able to see what's what after 3 or 4 games.

Looking at recent signings......apart from Forren, Osvaldo and possibly Ramirez (although again 3 or 4 games will tell us whether he is ever going to step up to the plate), the scouts and those that sign players haven't been too bad. Jos and Yoshida do a job, sometimes not very well, but before Lovren came, they kept us in the league. Mayuka hasn't progressed as hoped, but I can understand why he was signed.

If Pelle and JRod (when fit) are our main strikers then It is even more weird to pay 12mill for a bench warmer

Admittedly not a player that gets the pulse racing but with the right strike partner he's a real handful.

One of the hardest working forwards around, he's always ready to make things happen and whilst his goal tally needs improving he chips in with a decent amount of assists.

I'm wondering if Pelle and Long might be a BT-Ormerod type partnership, Pelle knows where the net is and with Long working all day there should be chances.

Yes 12M is crazy money but then so were the fees for Lambert, Lallana, Shaw and Lovren. The Prem is a plastic circus and it's probably the going rate.

A much better player than some of the drama queens make out and with the correct players around him he'll graft and make things happen.

With JRod, Gallacher, Pelle and now Long our striking situation is definitely looking better than 12 months ago IMO.

Admittedly not a player that gets the pulse racing but with the right strike partner he's a real handful.

One of the hardest working forwards around, he's always ready to make things happen and whilst his goal tally needs improving he chips in with a decent amount of assists.

I'm wondering if Pelle and Long might be a BT-Ormerod type partnership, Pelle knows where the net is and with Long working all day there should be chances.

Yes 12M is crazy money but then so were the fees for Lambert, Lallana, Shaw and Lovren. The Prem is a plastic circus and it's probably the going rate.

A much better player than some of the drama queens make out and with the correct players around him he'll graft and make things happen.

With JRod, Gallacher, Pelle and now Long our striking situation is definitely looking better than 12 months ago IMO.

He achieved a grand total of 2 last year?

He achieved a grand total of 2 last year?

Not great and he needs to up it but let's give him the benefit of the doubt and see how this one works out.

Long is a striker that functions better in a partnership and his effectiveness will largely depend on the chemistry between him and his attack partner. I think Pelle is going to like him just like BT liked Ormerod even though Brett didn't score many. Let's hope Pelle can capitalise.

I remember Crouch getting panned when we signed him and it turned out to be a brilliant signing, the club does have a knack of taking low profile players and improving them.

He's one of our players now so give him a break.

Not great and he needs to up it but let's give him the benefit of the doubt and see how this one works out.

Long is a striker that functions better in a partnership and his effectiveness will largely depend on the chemistry between him and his attack partner. I think Pelle is going to like him just like BT liked Ormerod even though Brett didn't score many. Let's hope Pelle can capitalise.

I remember Crouch getting panned when we signed him and it turned out to be a brilliant signing, the club does have a knack of taking low profile players and improving them.

He's one of our players now so give him a break.

how is that going to work in a 433?

i'd be very happy indeed if SL signs, great fit for us IMHO, I had hoped we'd be in for him before now... if this is a Les Reed deal - well done Les!!!

TBH - the likes of henandez was never gonna come to saints - too far up his own opinion of himself...

Feck me you are full of ****e sometimes

Full of ****e for speaking my mind. Do you believe this is good business or have you been brainwashed by the morons ruining our club. Please enlighten me how a players value rises by 60% in 8 months with only 15 appearances and 4 goals to his name? It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that this is an appalling bit of business. I've not spoken to a single person who thinks it's a good deal. A Friend who supports Hull was on the phone ****ing himself laughing. Does that not say something?

Ulloa, Ings, Rhodes, Vokes, Deeney. Every one of them could do a job for us and for less money. Yes, they may be a bit of a gamble but isn't that what Long is? His track record suggests so. Even McCormack would've been a better way of spending £12m.

I look forward to a load of abuse. If there's one thing this forum is good for it's personal insults and abuse for having an opinion that doesn't fit with the 'in crowd'.

Full of ****e for speaking my mind. Do you believe this is good business or have you been brainwashed by the morons ruining our club. Please enlighten me how a players value rises by 60% in 8 months with only 15 appearances and 4 goals to his name? '.

On the face of it of course it's not a good deal, but with the way premier league finances are it makes perfect sense. If Long had a year left on his contract, we would probably get him for 4-5 million. It's just bad timing that we're signing him 6 months into a long contract. But if we want him now, that's what we've got to pay.

The club have had their fingers burned with overseas big money signings, so I'm not that surprised to see them go for a player tried and tested in the Prem.

Full of ****e for speaking my mind. Do you believe this is good business or have you been brainwashed by the morons ruining our club. Please enlighten me how a players value rises by 60% in 8 months with only 15 appearances and 4 goals to his name? It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that this is an appalling bit of business. I've not spoken to a single person who thinks it's a good deal. A Friend who supports Hull was on the phone ****ing himself laughing. Does that not say something?

Ulloa, Ings, Rhodes, Vokes, Deeney. Every one of them could do a job for us and for less money. Yes, they may be a bit of a gamble but isn't that what Long is? His track record suggests so. Even McCormack would've been a better way of spending £12m.

I look forward to a load of abuse. If there's one thing this forum is good for it's personal insults and abuse for having an opinion that doesn't fit with the 'in crowd'.

I too have some doubts about this proposed signing at £12m but of the players you mention the only one I'd want ahead of Long is Ings.

A bit of a gamble? This is the Premier League, there is not the time or space for gambles.

Every single one of the names you list has absolutely no experience of top-flight football and would represent a monstrous gamble. Given the forward options at our disposal, we needed somebody who has been there and done it. His record isn't outstanding by any stretch of the imagination but considering it's now costing £10-11m to sign a player with goals in the Championship, that's the ridiculous situation this league now finds itself in. The top clubs can afford to pay the £20-40m it costs to get 20-goal strikers, we're shopping a level down from that. Nobody has yet come up with the name of a striker currently playing in the Premier League who would be a better option for a similar fee and would realistically sign for us.