Shane Long

doggface

Every single one of the names you list has absolutely no experience of top-flight football and would represent a monstrous gamble.

I think you'll find that the likes of Lambert, Sharp & J-Rod had no real top flight experience. Rickie & J-Rod are prime examples that players can make the step up and not cost a fortune.

I think you'll find that the likes of Lambert, Sharp & J-Rod had no real top flight experience. Rickie & J-Rod are prime examples that players can make the step up and not cost a fortune.

Who would you give as examples of this right now?

Baggies fans I know for starters...

Of course, you're proving -rather than challenging- my point: Hull narrowly avoided relegation by 4 points, so there was nothing comfortable about their survival. They urgently needed firepower in Jan and were willing to pay what was needed to get the job done which proved a worthwhile investment. But why that should influence our valuation of the player is beyond me -suffice to say, that fee has now been passed onto us with a very tidy mark-up.

Ultimately, if you want to singlehandedly attribute Hull's success to Shane Long's 4 goals, fill your boots. Next thing you'll be claiming we should go in for Jelavic who also racked up a mighty four goals.

My view is Long will bring something -while his first touch is generally poor, he has movement and pace that we've been crying out in Jrod's absence- but it's not close to £12m of something.

I'm was sure they were basically but not mathematically safe for ages then tailed off towards the end? I might be wrong..

West Brom fans didn't like him towards the end but in reality, when he was on form bar lukaku he was one of their best players. I too think the fee is too high but I don't have enough time to bother moaning about it on a forum.

I just hope he's on form consistantly while he's with us. Still then there'll be something else to moan about wouldn't there?

If we had bought him in Jan for 7.5 m with a sell on clause how much would you agree would be acceptable to sell him to them for?

Edited by Saint IQ

Ings doesn't want to move down here yet. He will probably join next Summer on a free, but I believe he wants to see how this season goes with Burnley.

I wonder if as well as playing for saints he wants to leave on a free for more £'s in his wage packet and signing on fee? :suspicious:

Hilarious. At least I have an opinion and contribute with responses that aren't simply insults. Just because you don't agree with something that's said it doesn't mean you have to start throwing insults. The purpose of a forum is for discussion.

In your case it's becoming a place to provoke and work everyone up the wrong way. If you were sincere you'd ignore the replies with dignity but no. You're hell bent in making a meal out of it. I'm sick of reading what you post and regret ever giving you a reference. You were a decent poster previously. :(

Being a little underwhelmed with the likely signing of Shane Long, I'd be happier if we'd gone for Welbeck as he's younger, will have something to prove after "failing" at Utd and has most of the attributes that SL has.

Being a little underwhelmed with the likely signing of Shane Long, I'd be happier if we'd gone for Welbeck as he's younger, will have something to prove after "failing" at Utd and has most of the attributes that SL has.

In my very first Football Manager save, FM 2010, Wellbeck ended up being footballer of the year 5 times for my Southampton team. Schneiderlin, on the other hand, hated my guts and I had to sell him cheap.

not so sure about this

Welbeck would be a huge gamble. Never seen him consistently deliver for Utd. Not sure what type of attitude he would bring with him. Could spell disaster.

Long on the other hand, you know pretty much what your going to get. Unfortunately its not worth the kind of money were paying.

We chose the safe option. Ormerod 2.0 is spot on.

If Rickie was valued at £4m (and Cork at £3m) then i want someone a bit special for £12 million. I've just no idea who?

Absolutely. Would be gutted if they end up with Wellbeck while we end with Long.

not so sure about this

Welbeck would be a huge gamble. Never seen him consistently deliver for Utd. Not sure what type of attitude he would bring with him. Could spell disaster.

Long on the other hand, you know pretty much what your going to get. Unfortunately its not worth the kind of money were paying.

If Rickie was valued at £4m (and Cork at £3m) then i want someone a bit special for £12 million. I've just no idea who?

No way Hull will sign Welbeck but he is miles better than Long!

not so sure about this

Both the Rickie and Cork transfers had other circumstances so that's not their real value - RL is 33 and only got a couple of years max left and Cork is in the last year of his contract, whereas Long has 4 years on his. Fair enough though, Long isn't worth £12m.

Edited by Unbelievable Jeff

not so sure about this

On the face of it I agree that he's not worth 12m as an individual player but he may be worth more than that depending what he brings to the team. If I take Ormerod as an example I'd say his worth to what he gave to the team was a lot more than his worth as an individual player

I see Welbeck is being attributed with a fee of around £14m.

Does kind of show that fee's are incredible these days! What the hell has he ever done to warrant a fee at that level? He's a non-goal scoring striker. Wouldn't be too fussed if we missed out on him, but again, like with long, way, way over priced.

Crazy and depressing market.

Does kind of show that fee's are incredible these days! What the hell has he ever done to warrant a fee at that level? He's a non-goal scoring striker. Wouldn't be too fussed if we missed out on him, but again, like with long, way, way over priced.

Crazy and depressing market.

If we sold Rodriguez we would want approx £20m so that is what Welbeck would command too.

If we sold Rodriguez we would want approx £20m so that is what Welbeck would command too.

Rodriguez is a better player than Welbeck, so I'd expect him to be sold for north of £20m. He won't be though, as clubs will get him at a snip next season due to his contract situation.

No way Hull will sign Welbeck but he is miles better than Long!

apparently, there is NO ONE ELSE that we could get other than long at around £12m

who would you rather have. Long or Welbeck?

Edited by Batman

Saints are set to make this summer’s spending the most lavish in the club’s history as they aim to tie up deals for Shane Long and Florin Gardos.

Quite depressing really, club will use that to say the ambition is still there, but compared to last year the squad looks pretty god damn average. We have the same weaknesses as last year.

S-C.

Goalie is surely storinger, although if Boruc does bunk off, that will be a similar position to last year. At present it is way stronger.

The defence might still have the same weaknesses, esp CB but time will tell. Maybe the Romanian lad will be as good or better than Lovren.

Midfield, taking Lallana and Schniederlin out will be a problem. However Tadic and Ramirez (who I am hoping will be like a new signing) will go some way to alleviate this, as will the Algerian lad.

Attack - personally think that the addition of Pelle and Long would be an upgrade on Lambert and Osvaldo, but time will tell.

GK i give you, stronger at the mo. But if Boruc does go, then we're in the same position.

Defence still has the same glaring weakneses to be honest, no might about it! With Yoshida and Jos still hovering and an injury away from a first team slot, we still have weaknesses there. I have a positive feeling about Florin, but he'll need to go some to replicate Lovren's season here.

Jury is out on the midfield. I wish people wouldn't throw all their eggs into one basket re: Gaston, we've been betting on this for the last 3 seasons and he fades away again. I hope he does a good job and actually contributes this year. Taider looks ok, but we'll have to see.

Up front we've added a bit of depth for sure, but Lamberts all round game will be a struggle to replace and we'll miss Jay until he's back.

A lot has to be said for team spirit and continuity in the squad as well, that's been ripped out. This will be mainly a team of strangers who play together next year, and I personally felt we had togetherness that a transfer fee couldn't replace. So I'd say we're currently weaker at this stage than we were at this stage last year.

GK i give you, stronger at the mo. But if Boruc does go, then we're in the same position.

Defence still has the same glaring weakneses to be honest, no might about it! With Yoshida and Jos still hovering and an injury away from a first team slot, we still have weaknesses there. I have a positive feeling about Florin, but he'll need to go some to replicate Lovren's season here.

Jury is out on the midfield. I wish people wouldn't throw all their eggs into one basket re: Gaston, we've been betting on this for the last 3 seasons and he fades away again. I hope he does a good job and actually contributes this year. Taider looks ok, but we'll have to see.

Up front we've added a bit of depth for sure, but Lamberts all round game will be a struggle to replace and we'll miss Jay until he's back.

A lot has to be said for team spirit and continuity in the squad as well, that's been ripped out. This will be mainly a team of strangers who play together next year, and I personally felt we had togetherness that a transfer fee couldn't replace. So I'd say we're currently weaker at this stage than we were at this stage last year.

Totally agree. No walking over hot coals for the team this year...

Goalie is stronger, midfield has more creativity and variety in it, attack is stronger than last season after Rodriguez's injury and Osvaldos departure, defence not so much.

Defence is still the worry.

Rest of the squad is fine (assuming Long and Garcia are signing). It's just a question of whether Koeman gets them playing effectively. We don't really have good wingers so I would hope we find a system that doesn't rely on having good wingers! I've mentioned it a couple of times but I think a diamond formation would play to our strengths.

I think we should wait and see how we get on with our new players before writing the team off like a lot of you are doing. We are investing the funds we've received but we're not a champs league team and some of the players we've apparently approached want champs league football or/and wages. I think our buying window has been decent for a team of our stature and I for one am looking forward to the start of the season where everyone can whinge about the on field performance instead of the of field antics.

Don't take any notice, your points are valid

Valid, maybe, but delivered in the child throwing their toys out of their pram mode. When one reads such an over the top rant about a player who hasn't even played for us yet, then it shouldn't come as any surprise to the poster that it receives some derision in return.

I'm all for sensible debate on anything regarding the club, the owner, board, manager and players, but rather than sensible debate there is a lot of hysterical claptrap being spouted by some posters based on nothing more than rumours, innuendo, knee-jerk reactions and private agendas. There are a couple of posters who reacted hastily over this news regarding Long, who with the benefit of being able to sleep on it, took a more circumspect view of their initial opinion and accepted that he might have been signed for strategic reasons best known to Les Reed and the manager. When the likes of Sidney Fudpucker and Captainchris calm down and start to accept that there may be some good reasons for the decision and that some element of benefit of the doubt should exist, then their opinions will gain more respect.

To go from £7m offer on the friday to £12.5 on the Tuesday smacks of desperation. It was obvious we needed more firepower upfront but with such little time left to start of season it would have been huge gamble to get striker in from abroad and hope they wouldmake an instant impact. club have got themselves in this situation given lambert left weeks ago and they knew jrod would be out until october at the earliest since march yet they seemed content with having no proven PL striker until now. Long is a bit underwhelming but there isnt another proven/experienced PL striker that we could realistically sign that would be better imo.

Goalie is stronger, midfield has more creativity and variety in it, attack is stronger than last season after Rodriguez's injury and Osvaldos departure, defence not so much.

I agree. A lot depends on how Rodriguez is on his return and whether we keep Schneiderlin for a bit longer. With both of them and some further strengthening of the defence, a decent argument can be made that we do start the season stronger.

Defence is still the worry.

Rest of the squad is fine (assuming Long and Garcia are signing). It's just a question of whether Koeman gets them playing effectively. We don't really have good wingers so I would hope we find a system that doesn't rely on having good wingers! I've mentioned it a couple of times but I think a diamond formation would play to our strengths.

But we've got two very respectable wing backs in Bertrand and Clyne and some decent pace up front from Long and Rodriguez when he comes back with his speed hopefully not compromised by his injury.

To go from £7m offer on the friday to £12.5 on the Tuesday smacks of desperation.

That would be my main criticism. It seems (only seems) that tried to get our preferred targets on the cheap and lost out - so have ended up overpaying for a seconadary target in desperation. If we'd made more sensible approaches earlier we might have ended up with a better result.

so, long or welbeck

who is better?

Long is the better all round player for me. He runs the channels better than most, and is excellent at pressing and creating space, as well as being a good hold up player.

Welbeck has raw pace, acceleration and youth on his side, as well as a bit of skill. However he's not a very intelligent player, and his off the ball movement and decision making are pretty dire.

For our system, it's Long over Welbeck every time.

IF (big if) we get Long and Hull get Welbeck then the club have officially gone mad.

Or could it be that you have gone mad? And had we signed Welbeck, we probably would have had you posting "rubbish signing", just as you did when we signed Bertrand on loan.

Or could it be that you have gone mad? And had we signed Welbeck, we probably would have had you posting "rubbish signing", just as you did when we signed Bertrand on loan.

Bertrand comment already qualified as you well know so irrelevant. Have praised the club for signing Tadic this summer who looks promising and Forster too looks a good addition as long as we don't lose Boruc so trying to make out that I rubbish every signing or potential signing we make is utter bilge as per usual from you. Welbeck would be an excellent signing for us and someone I have wanted for a while.