Shane Long

doggface

I suppose when we signed Peter Crouch people had a similar reaction and he ended up becoming a regular for England.

He might not get into the England team, but hopefully he'll score loads and loads of goals for us.

I think his Irish accent might count against that.

Shocked we've signed him to be honest, a bit left-field if you ask me. But I am pleased nevertheless!

Suppose £12m is a relative bargain for a reasonably proven Prem forward in this day and age. Definitely someone whose attributes should benefit us this season.

Shocked we've signed him to be honest, a bit left-field if you ask me. But I am pleased nevertheless!

Suppose £12m is a relative bargain for a reasonably proven Prem forward in this day and age. Definitely someone whose attributes should benefit us this season.

I certainly wouldn't say this deal represents any sort of bargain :lol:

Was surprised when I heard we were in for him, but think he will do OK. Price a bit of a shock but I guess with what we've brought in in transfer fees this window we were bound to have to pay over the odds. He will close down from the front & never give opposing defenders a minutes peace.

So welcome aboard Shane. Much need striker.

that makes lallana and lovren absolute steals

Good signing. Absolute mare for defenders to face.

Couldn't give a flying f*ck how much we paid for him. He will improve the first team, end of story.

This. He will add pace up front which we have severely lacked since returning to the PL.

Always found Shane Long to be one of those players I really didn't like watching, found him a bit of a diver and a bit of a pr*ck generally. But hey, he's our pr*ck now and maybe he's one of those 'hate him against you, love him for you' types. Welcome Shane, good luck to you and hopefully you can get everyone on side very quickly!

Good signing. Absolute mare for defenders to face.

Couldn't give a flying f*ck how much we paid for him. He will improve the first team, end of story.

Well said. Always dreaded it when he played against us too. Will be a good foil for Pelle.

Always found Shane Long to be one of those players I really didn't like watching, found him a bit of a diver and a bit of a pr*ck generally. But hey, he's our pr*ck now and maybe he's one of those 'hate him against you, love him for you' types. Welcome Shane, good luck to you and hopefully you can get everyone on side very quickly!

Agreed. Bet Gaston is glad he is on our side now ....

SSN report on Long focused on fact he has yet to score 10 goals in a season. Ho hum. Suspect he will be more the harrier/ pressure from the front person. Same channel had that pillock Pochetino speaking English in presser. Annoyed me unfeasibly. Really want him to fail. COYR

Absolutely agree. We haven't had one of those for a long while. (Dennis Wise?)

Just watched the club interview with Long. He sounds clued up, very level headed. Koeman says his attitude is first class too. Very happy with this signing. We have replicated last years skill/power/pace forward line of Ad/Ricky/JRod with Dusan/Pelle/Long and I can't wait to see our new team develop. Long will be important on the counter attack but will also dig in and work for the team when we don't have the ball.

Sold the Crown Jewels and then shopped at Argos. Liverpool paid the same amount for sturridge...

At 27 years old there's not a lot of sell on value unless we do a hull and sell after half a season, also does anyone else get the impression we missed out on target A B & C and ended up with F

does anyone else get the impression we missed out on target A B & C and ended up with F

Not really. Def missed out on A which seems to be a wholly unrealistic Hernandez, but then maybe some realism took over. No one has quite managed, while saying how awful this is, to convince me of any other worth while targets with the requisite PL experience (Hypo - Koeman has confirmed that this was an important factor) and who was affordable and wanted to come here.

And why are people going on and on about resale value?

Sold the Crown Jewels and then shopped at Argos. Liverpool paid the same amount for sturridge...

At 27 years old there's not a lot of sell on value unless we do a hull and sell after half a season, also does anyone else get the impression we missed out on target A B & C and ended up with F

What if we keep him for 7 year and he becomes one of our best players for each of those years? Sell on value relevant?

Kind of agree he wasn't our first choice though, especially with the quickly increased bids over the apparent last few days.

Welcome to St Marys though Shane, I'm confident he'll be a good player for us. Price irrelevant really, although of course we all know it isn't based on expectations from all parties!

Not really. Def missed out on A which seems to be a wholly unrealistic Hernandez, but then maybe some realism took over. No one has quite managed, while saying how awful this is, to convince me of any other worth while targets with the requisite PL experience (Hypo - Koeman has confirmed that this was an important factor) and who was affordable and wanted to come here.

And why are people going on and on about resale value?

Premiership experience means sod all, he's only mentioning it because there's not a lot of other positives he could say other than "well he's under 30 and has 2 legs".

Resale value is also extremely important for a club of our size, the whole idea of being a sustainable club is to buy good players, then sell them for a huge profit when they become extremely good players. Not spunk 21mill on 2 mediocre strikers who're 29 and 27.

We should be hoovering up the best young players from the lower leagues, I mentioned Will Hughes before who would've been perfect for us. As hilarious as it is to make Jordan Rhodes jokes I'd have have had him and Ings over Pelle and Long anyday and I'm pretty sure their wages would've been lower too.

And Liverpool paid £25m for Lallana and £35m for Carroll so what's your point exactly?

Give the bloke a chance FFS.

Premiership experience means sod all, he's only mentioning it because there's not a lot of other positives he could say other than "well he's under 30 and has 2 legs".

Resale value is also extremely important for a club of our size, the whole idea of being a sustainable club is to buy good players, then sell them for a huge profit when they become extremely good players. Not spunk 21mill on 2 mediocre strikers who're 29 and 27.

We should be hoovering up the best young players from the lower leagues, I mentioned Will Hughes before who would've been perfect for us. As hilarious as it is to make Jordan Rhodes jokes I'd have have had him and Ings over Pelle and Long anyday and I'm pretty sure their wages would've been lower too.

You seem to have no faith on our academy and the players they produce. AFAIK they seem to have brought in £70m or so this transfer window. If that carries on, which seems to be the business model, then a blend of youth and experience is entirely sustainable, where the youth get sold for money and the experience has no real resale value. I have no idea why so many on here think that those running the club can't read a balance sheet. Obviously the members here are better qualified, yet I am surprised that they aren't sending their CVs in. But, at some stage the players value has to be written off by someone.

Time will tell whether we have spunked away £21m or not, but to say that before a ball has been kicked shows a distinct lack of confidence in the club. As for young players, those likely to feature in the side this year seem to be JWP, Targett, Reed, Isgrove, Gallagher, and possibly Rowe and McQueen.

This was possibly his best game for WBA.

Looks to be two footed, pretty nippy and a cool finish for the 2nd.

People banging on about the fee and resale value .... I believe the original outlay is 8 million with add ons up to 12.5. IF we end up having to pay all the add ons it would be presumably because of goals scored, position in table, games played etc. In which case it would indicate he has been a success and worth the outlay.

Resale value .... he has signed a 4 year contract (No sn!ggering at the back please) ... if he stays and plays for 4 years, once again we'll have got value for money.

Lots of IFs, but he will give us something up front that we have been lacking.