Shane Long

doggface

Not really. Def missed out on A which seems to be a wholly unrealistic Hernandez, but then maybe some realism took over. No one has quite managed, while saying how awful this is, to convince me of any other worth while targets with the requisite PL experience (Hypo - Koeman has confirmed that this was an important factor) and who was affordable and wanted to come here.

And why are people going on and on about resale value?[/QUOTE]

I expect it is because a lot think that we will be going through the same old "knock the house down and build it up again" scenario

Contracts SHOULD mean what they say, sadly they are only as good as the escape clauses

The Sweet F A are at fault. They should have addressed this problem long ago

Schneiderlin is a prime example. Signs a long contract with the verbal agreement he can leave within a year ??

Why sign the Contract in the first place, if you know it is your intention to break it.

I'd love it if Leibherr/Krueger made him actuall "honour" his contract. And if he throws his toys out of the pram, then LET HIM ROY

Sadly, no owner has the Bottle to do that, but it is the only action that will ever bring sanity back to Player Contracts and Transfers IMHO

I think Long has a lot of attributes we were missing last season. Pace, movement off the ball, somebody who can get behind defenses. Without J-Rod we need that. Think he'll do well. Quoted price is crazy,but who knows what the real price is.

£12m seems high but if he gets the goals we will all forget it. If we had paid £12m for Bambi Wellbeck then I would be worried

why would he get the goals? hes never scored ten in a season ever we obviously didn't buy him for that role

why would he get the goals? hes never scored ten in a season ever we obviously didn't buy him for that role

You are of course right in that he has not scored more than 10. This season he is not playing as an out and out striker, that is Pelle's job as RK said yesterday so he might not get 10 this season. But I (mostly) trust the scouting network (esp when Chief Execs aren't interfering) and if they have seen something that we need - which £12m suggests that they obviously have - then I'm fine with that and I'l refer to hindsight later on down the path to judge as to whether he is worth it. I would find it very hard to believe that he can be any worse value than Osvaldo

I think maybe it's better to say if he's involved in a lot of goals then he's justified his price tag, there's more to Long's game than just scoring, hence why we paid a lot for him.

I think maybe it's better to say if he's involved in a lot of goals then he's justified his price tag, there's more to Long's game than just scoring, hence why we paid a lot for him.

agreed we brought him for the huge workrate off the ball and he has a little pace apparently, lets just hope he isnt another brett omerod

I have to laugh when people question his resale value !

I don't think there is any team which has profited as much as Saints in the transfer market in recent years, even accounting for 2 demotions and an administration, we have still managed a very healthy plus in terms of youth development and player trading in general !

All this whilst including the odd shocker like Osvaldo too !

I have to laugh when people question his resale value !

I don't think there is any team which has profited as much as Saints in the transfer market in recent years, even accounting for 2 demotions and an administration, we have still managed a very healthy plus in terms of youth development and player trading in general !

All this whilst including the odd shocker like Osvaldo too !

Newcastle and Arsenal do very much alright. (Well, barring Arsenal's spend the last two seasons they were doing very well.)

Edited by farawaysaint

One big plus with Long, he was brought up as a kid playing Gaelic sports, football and hurling, very physical fast sports where body checks, shoulder charges are happening all the time. That makes him such a hand full as he is strong and physical as well as fast, so enjoys mixing it.

One big plus with Long, he was brought up as a kid playing Gaelic sports, football and hurling, very physical fast sports where body checks, shoulder charges are happening all the time. That makes him such a hand full as he is strong and physical as well as fast, so enjoys mixing it.

I think you have to be a little bit mad to play hurling. Really an all or nothing game.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2730291/Steve-Bruce-eyeing-12m-rated-Blackburn-striker-Jordan-Rhodes.html

So the £12m we gave Hull, seems that it might be going on Jordan Rhodes.

Rhodes, aged 24, scored 25 last season and 28 the season before (I think that the most Long got was 21). Out of interest, would people have preferred Rhodes to Long?

Edited by angelman

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2730291/Steve-Bruce-eyeing-12m-rated-Blackburn-striker-Jordan-Rhodes.html

Rhodes, aged 24, scored 25 last season and 28 the season before (I think that the most Long got was 21). Out of interest, would people have preferred Rhodes to Long?

Different types of player, Long, as has been discussed isn't all about the goals but rather chance creation through being a general nuisance. Rhodes would (if we were to have bought him) be instead of Pelle and if one were to discount resale value in the future, then, at present I'd rather have Pelle...

Edited by JxgrSaint

Different types of player, Long, as has been discussed isn't all about the goals but rather chance creation through being a general nuisance. Rhodes would (if we were to have bought him) be instead of Pelle and if one were to discount resale value in the future, then, at present I'd rather have Pelle...

Not that I disagree but what is rather having pelle based on? We don't really know anything about pelle he is a bit of an unknown truth be told.

calling PASTOR PATRON to this thread, he has Jordan Rhodes posters in his room.

• 2 years later...
Funny how soon a post praising Long's actions gets turned into an attack on him. You couldn't make it up! :rolleyes:

Indeed! It's difficult to score goals when you're sat on the bench or jogging up and down the touchline. Maybe some so-called Saints fans need the rules spelling out for them.

Funny how soon a post praising Long's actions gets turned into an attack on him. You couldn't make it up! :rolleyes:

Where are these attacks? Certainly not much evidence on this thread. Really you have apparently made it up. There are some odd posters who seem to think any criticism of a player should not be allowed, even in a light hearted way. Really very simplistic view on being a supporter of a football club.

Where are these attacks? Certainly not much evidence on this thread. Really you have apparently made it up. There are some odd posters who seem to think any criticism of a player should not be allowed, even in a light hearted way. Really very simplistic view on being a supporter of a football club.

:rolleyes:Standard for the usual suspects on here. We have a lot of pompey fans in disguise I think

You have clearly missed the point but that is par for the course. It is all about context. Someone posts comments about Long's contribution to helping an injured team mate and it gets followed up by comments on his goal scoring record (I have no idea how to do the multi quote business but if you cannot recognise the negative quotes then you are as blind as the proverbial) It has nothing to do with the objecting to the criticism of a player more the context in which it was made.

• 4 years later...