Shane Long

doggface

As I've posted before, it's about building a team, not necessarily about buying the best players. Real Madrid came 3rd in La Liga last year. With the talent at their disposal there is no way that should happen compared to Atletico. I'm not comparing us to either, just making the point that Ron is putting together the pieces of a jigsaw where we don't know what the final picture will look like.

Wait and see, and support whoever comes in.

Could scott sinclair have come in for 12m fee and wages?

Seems an ideal replacement for Rodriguez while injured.

Based on what? Scott hasn't played competitive football to a decent standard for some time. Long was excellent last season and I'm convinced our style will suit him and he will get more goals for us.

Not my first choice as a signing, but as a squad player he is a vast improvement on Sharp/Mayuka. On his day he is an absolute nuisance, but his goal record in the Premier League is very poor and I don't think he has those days that often.

Will be happily, and hopefully proved wrong.

Where is he going to play though? On the left!?! Strange.

Oh sorry I didn't realise the rules of forums were to constantly moan and bed wet.

The main rule is for people with perspective and stuff to describe people being rather underwhelmed by an underwhelming signing at a high price as "constantly moaning and bed wetting". Well done you.

I've wiped the fee from my memory overnight. Could turn out to be a good signing for Saints. Already a local hero for missing a sitter at St Marys last season;)

Welcome SL (if confirmed).

You could be right, that "donkey" Crouchy did the same for Villa down here just before we signed him, not a bad bit of business as it turned out.

The main rule is for people with perspective and stuff to describe people being rather underwhelmed by an underwhelming signing at a high price as "constantly moaning and bed wetting". Well done you.

Please tell me who we should sign that would make you not underwhelmed?

£1.2m or £12m who gives a **** really?

moaning all summer telling saints to spend money and now we do everyone says we are spending too much?

Long will score goals and create chances, thats expensive to buy nowadays. £12m is 2013's £7m

Be happy, our squad improves with Shane Long in it defo

Shall we offer 6m then and be happy when they reject it and just carry on with one striker?

To say you will be more upset with a signing than a sale is just odd. The money is nothing to you, it will never be in your account and you will never even know the terms of the deal.

Is Long the best striker around? No.

Is he better than what we have? Yes

Does he have attributes none of our others do? Yes

Will he give Koeman more options? Yes

Has he got extensive experience of the PL? Yes

Will he score some goals for us? Yes

Is he overpriced? Yes

Are all players overpriced at the moment? Yes

Would we be a stronger squad for signing him? Yes

Absolutely this. Some fans on here think the money is theirs. I'd rather it be spent on players who improve us and Long does just that.

People moaning about the fee make me laugh, as if it's their money. Probably the same people who are happy to spend £100 on a sh*tty tattoo. It's Monopoly money, we've managed to get massive fees in so other clubs are going to screw us for the same.

I hope Long does well for us.

I remember when a resurgent Newcastle under Bobby Robson splashed £6m on Craig Bellamy (comparable money in todays massively over inflated market) from recently relegated Coventry after an awful season. I remember my geordie mates in uproar about it at the time. What a signing he turned out to be. Long has a few similar attributes. I think he 'll win everyone over.

I prefer Koeman's judgement to C B Fry's.

Plus he has the track record to back it, but he hasnt paid his fiver on here, at leaast I htink not

What's my judgement on Long then?

I know, I tell you what it is: we've bought 8 Premier League goals, which are not easy to come by. I say that earlier in this thread. Or on the rumours thread.

Problem with that?

As in a player instead of Long. We already have Pelle, so please tell me who we should sign instead of Long.

Not my job. And I am not going to name names for you to shoot down, because if we signed any of those players you'd be raging at anyone being underwhelmed and saying wait and see.

If QPR had signed Long, would you be on here furious that we didn't?

Not my job. And I am not going to name names for you to shoot down, because if we signed any of those players you'd be raging at anyone being underwhelmed and saying wait and see.

If QPR had signed Long, would you be on here furious that we didn't?

Exactly, you don't have any better suggestions. So instead of moaning how about you wait and see how he turns out and then make a judgement afterwards?

I don't support QPR, only Saints. So I couldn't care less what signings they make.

Exactly, you don't have any better suggestions. So instead of moaning how about you wait and see how he turns out and then make a judgement afterwards?

I don't support QPR, only Saints. So I couldn't care less what signings they make.

I didnt realise it was for fans to suggest players for saints to sign

Let me check with my 20+ scouts I employ around the world that have top talent lined up ready to join our march to europe

Knew the biggest moaner would join in at some point....

what are you on about.

I said I have accepted this as a decent signing last night

life after cortese has taken me a while to get used to but now I am adjusted.

will you be telling those that say he is a good signing to stop and wait and see?

Let me check with my 20+ scouts I employ around the world that have top talent lined up ready to join our march to europe

You predicted we'd finish 19th this season. Shouldnt you be delighted weve improved our squad?

The club promised they'd spend the transfer fees recieved...... They didnt say how ;)

As CBF would say,forums probably aren't the best place for you.

Were you saying we should be signing Shane Long this time yesterday, then? Or last week or month?

Were you saying we should be signing Shane Long this time yesterday, then? Or last week or month?

No but as that has been pointed out it is for the club to decide.

I then try and take the view that you wait and see how a player does before making a conclusion one way or the other.

Other posters have made numerous suggestions on here. The players Hull have been linked with to replace long for a start.

People moaning about the fee make me laugh, as if it's their money. Probably the same people who are happy to spend £100 on a sh*tty tattoo. It's Monopoly money, we've managed to get massive fees in so other clubs are going to screw us for the same.

Fair point but I guess for some, myself included, it is more the case of thinking we could have got more for the money.

As it goes I have always liked Long and, despite the fee, am relatively happy with the signing (even if it isn't the most exciting) and rather trust the judgement of Roko and the recruitment team (who have often got more right than wrong).

If the only problem people have with the player is the money, then it's not really a problem, is it? No-one apart from the club is going to have a 12m bill land on their doorsteps.

Exactly. What's your grievance, dissenters? The player or the fee? You may say "both", but the fee is nigh on irrelevant if you think he'd be a poor signing irrespective of the fee. Set your stool out. Bad signing or bad fee?

Four good posts in a row with Heisenberg, pap, FF, and iansums putting things into perspective :toppa:

No but as that has been pointed out it is for the club to decide.

I then try and take the view that you wait and see how a player does before making a conclusion one way or the other.

So, you didn't suggest Shane Long. Glad that's clear. Why do you expect me to suggest players then?

And jolly sweet you think I am not going to wait and see how he does. What does that actually mean in your head?

£1.2m or £12m who gives a **** really?

moaning all summer telling saints to spend money and now we do everyone says we are spending too much?

Long will score goals and create chances, thats expensive to buy nowadays. £12m is 2013's £7m

Be happy, our squad improves with Shane Long in it defo

This exactly. Get behind him and trust in RK.

We're a mid table side not a European heavyweight.

Long will be a good addition and realistically about the level we can attract - as Hernandez snub to us uas shown.

Exactly. What's your grievance, dissenters? The player or the fee? You may say "both", but the fee is nigh on irrelevant if you think he'd be a poor signing irrespective of the fee. Set your stool out. Bad signing or bad fee?

its fee.

he will be our 2nd most expensive striker ever

also, we will never ever sell him for anything close to that, which is again, at odds with our previous signings (bar ossie)

will we really be spending upwards of £12m (if the reports are true) to sit on the bench?

no

he scores very few goals

So, you didn't suggest Shane Long. Glad that's clear. Why do you expect me to suggest players then?

And jolly sweet you think I am not going to wait and see how he does. What does that actually mean in your head?

I try and wait to see how things turn out and then make a judgement. But obviously negative people like yourself just wish to moan and bed wet about anything.

Quite sad really.

I try and wait to see how things turned out and then make a judgement. But obviously negative people like yourself just wish to moan and bed wet about anything.

Quite sad really.

what about those who state he is a good signing?

should they not say that and wait and see? you forget to mention them

We are buying the world's most expensive Brett Ormerod

Funny, but on reading the news on this my immediate thoughts were he's a cross between Ormerod and David Speedie.

Seem ro recall he was the pr1ck who went down clutching his face to get Ramirez sent off v WBA (after tugging his shirt for the previous 20 yards) then got up without a mark on it.

We could probably buy Ings for £8m and at least he brings some potential and goal threat.£12m for Long, if true, is excessive. Perhaps we've realised we can't entice the big players we wanted, so Plan B, lets act big and spend £12m on a journeyman player.

Happy to be surprised and proved wrong.

Of course the fee is relevant. It determines what funds we have available for other transfers. It's not a difficult concept for all those who keep saying it's irrelevant / not the fans money etc etc