Shane Long

doggface

Yes exactly but Shane Long does not fit into the 'half decent' bracket. This is a bad dream - laughable!!!!

It's where we are right now, we need bodies and at this stage we aren't going for our first choice targets. We do need other options so happy to get him in if no one else.

I thought it would be obvious pal. If we want a player and the selling club don't want to sell, then we pay a premium for it. Just like other clubs did with us.

Nobody's disputing that; nobody's disputing Hull's right to bleed us dry - they're just disputing why the club sees it fit to pay so much for a distinctly average player.

He can play wide, can play through middle on his own or with Pelle. Works hard, is quick, makes runs in behind which none of our current players do and knows the PL.

Forget the fee, it is almost irrelevant to a fan just like the amounts coming in.

He will do a job and add competition up front.

You 're having a laugh! Buying Shane Long shows ambition - I don't think so!!! 4 goals last year and truly dreadful!

Nooooooo, he scored 4 league goals since signing for Hull (15 appearances, supposedly). Do a little legwork before spouting fallacies.

He can play wide, can play through middle on his own or with Pelle. Works hard, is quick, makes runs in behind which none of our current players do and knows the PL.

Forget the fee, it is almost irrelevant to a fan just like the amounts coming in.

I'm coming round to life after cortese

It sucks but I am getting used to it

He could be alright for us

You know football's gone mad when you pay £12M for Shane Long! :scared:

Exactly right. The game has gone mad, not Saints. We have been paid big fees and we have paid out big fees.

A few weeks ago people were talking of asset stripping so lets be thankful we are actually starting to add players. All of the signings this summer have a decent pedigree and Long is no different.

OK, I am going to attempt to erase all knowledge of the fee from my mind.

Yep. Much better.

Would be acceptable mediocre squad player on a free or 1 million.

Can't believe we are going to to give hull a profit on their crazy panic buy last January.

If true board are in desperate panic state trying to avoid relegation.

Certainly not actions of club with ambition, looking to bring in players with ability to develop such as we did when we signed the likes of Rodriguez.

Although £12m is a lot, I think quite a few people are going to be surprised at how good he is

Oh no! ALL the other clubs are signing all the right players and we're doing it wrong!

Where have I head that before? Last summer during the transfer window, and the summer before that... and the summer before that....

Shane Long is a good footballer. His finishing is lacking, but he's a good forward. Is 12 million too much? Of course it is, but I doubt that's an up front price, plenty of add ons there I'd wager.

Been driving in France all day so just picked up this thread with no prior information or whether it is fact or fiction. Personally I don't agree with some of the observations belittling his credentials. He would be a very good addition to the squad and a proven PL striker. Obviously if the fee is accurate it's a bit jaw dropping - but if Hull want to keep him and we want to prize him away, stupid money is the order of the day.

Nooooooo, he scored 4 league goals since signing for Hull (15 appearances, supposedly). Do a little legwork before spouting fallacies.

A bit pedantic but what ever! He's still way off a decent player and way off where we should be at.... As for 12m the lunatics are running the asylum. Not good enough for any money or even a free....

Does seem like panic buying. But as I said earlier - if we are taking the best players off our league place rivals then it's as much of a negative from Hull as a positive for us. Now let's sign Ings.

If we have bought Long it's as a sub striker remember. In which case you could suggest its a good demonstration of ambition, given Sharps off and Gallagher is no where near as good as Long. BUT - we do need another 12-14 goals per season striker. And guess what everyone? WE STILL HAVE LOADS OF CASH LEFT TO BUY ANOTHER STRIKER - AND A GOOD ONE AT THAT.

This purchase buys us some time to negotiate late on in the window for a quality striker.

Edited by SaintRobbie

We've made so much profit that we're hoping to sell him later at a loss in order to offset it. :)

We've bet a load of money on hull finishing above us so we buy their dross and give them a huge whack of cash to spend.

Or we've a bunch of idiots panicking about potential and offering millions for any piece of garbage.

A bit pedantic but what ever! He's still way off a decent player and way off where we should be at.... As for 12m the lunatics are running the asylum. Not good enough for any money or even a free....

Pedantic, eh? And what do you call misrepresenting his goal scoring record to suit your opinion, might I ask? 'Creative'?

Exactly right. The game has gone mad, not Saints. We have been paid big fees and we have paid out big fees.

A few weeks ago people were talking of asset stripping so lets be thankful we are actually starting to add players. All of the signings this summer have a decent pedigree and Long is no different.

Are you a fruit loop? It's cute you back everything the club do, put please don't attempt to justify Long to saints for 12M as a good move, can't polish a turd and Long is a ****ing turd

Good player who works tirelessly as a foil for main striker. Good engine and is premier league "ready" which is a good thing. If Ross McCormack is worth 11m then Long for 12m is OK business. Will get goals and should prosper in RK's formation. Happy with this if it comes true.

Good player who works tirelessly as a foil for main striker. Good engine and is premier league "ready" which is a good thing. If Ross McCormack is worth 11m then Long for 12m is OK business. Will get goals and should prosper in RK's formation. Happy with this if it comes true.

When Ross McCormack went for £11m did think that was fair price?

What next, comparing andy Carroll???

Judging an over priced player with another clubs over priced player is a tad silly

blimey Saint Charlie - you've changed your tune! Good to see that you are more positive now and agree we have made, on the whole, solid acquisitions. But LOng would not count amongst them for me in any way, shape or form. he is a donkey pure and simple with a pathetic scoring record and very little resale value due to his age.

Ings is young, unproven but like Rodriguez would have been a gamble well worth taking....anything over SHane bloody Long!

Confirmation the "Southampton way" is officially dead, we are now doing exactly what every other lower half team does, loans and mercenaries all the way. I'm going to miss signing promising players and developing them rather than signing "proven" dross just to scrape by every year.

Confirmation the "Southampton way" is officially dead, we are now doing exactly what every other lower half team does, loans and mercenaries all the way. I'm going to miss signing promising players and developing them rather than signing "proven" dross just to scrape by every year.

Indeed it's a real shame.

Yep. We are scrapping to avoid relegation now just like all the rest.