Shane Long

doggface

It's pretty sad posters on here desperately trying to think of reasons why signing Shane long for 12 million is a good idea. I think deep down everyone realises what a step down we have taken this summer. Both our sales and then the replacements have made that clear. What a terrible shame.

People suggesting Deeney and Wickham as alternatives? LOL.

Long is proven at being 'alright' in the Prem. Wickham has a couple of goals here and there, Deeney hasn't played at this level and Ings doesn't want to pursue a move.

And according to you we shouldn't have bought Jrod then?

I'd much prefer wick ham who clearly has potential to be much better player than long.

Frazier Campbell, very similar ability IMO and 800k.

Scott Sinclair, far far more ability and needs a move, brother is here, wages high but fee surely far lower.

Jordan Mutch, thought he did well for a poor Cardiff side and will improve, went for 6m.

Borini, another who hasn't scored enough yet but for a similar fee has a hell of a lot more ability and potential

Joel Campbell, is he really going to play for arsenal? Would he cost that much, really?

Danny Ings, great potential and surely cheaper.

Troy Deeney, good all round player, IMO would score goals at this level, far more than Long and far cheaper.

Jeff stomping his feet about and making a tit of himself again?

:lol:

Edited by shurlock

After Hernandez rejected us we were obviously looking for a player with similar attributes, so I think from that perspective, Long fits the bill quite nicely. £12m seems high especially when Hull have banked a sizeable profit after 6 months but lets not forget they also forked out £16m on Snodgrass and Livermore ffs, so what constitutes decent value nowadays? Sure he will score more goals than our £15m record signing managed last year and no doubt contribute a lot more to team spirit as well. Not a signing to get especially excited about, but one that I can see working out pretty well.

A football club is a business. If Shane long scores 10 goals for us in key games and we stay up a result, it's a good purchase. Don't forget that at the moment we're 2 injuries away from not having a striker.

I actually like the player and I'm glad we've bought him. As others have said, it probably isn't £12m up front anyway.

Frazier Campbell, very similar ability IMO and 800k He's ok, think Long is a better player though in terms of what he brings to the team

Scott Sinclair, far far more ability and needs a move, brother is here, wages high but fee surely far lower. Been gash since he left Swansea

Jordan Mutch, thought he did well for a poor Cardiff side and will improve, went for 6m. Centre mid, but good value at £6m

Borini, another who hasn't scored enough yet but for a similar fee has a hell of a lot more ability and potential £14m after one good season is nuts (ahem Lallana, Shaw etc..)

Joel Campbell, is he really going to play for arsenal? Would he cost that much, really? He is going to play for Arsenal, and they have no reason to sell.

Danny Ings, great potential and surely cheaper Not that much cheaper and also a bit of an unknown quantity. Worth a punt though for the right price.

Troy Deeney, good all round player, IMO would score goals at this level, far more than Long and far cheaper. Watford want £10m for him and has no Prem experience.

Some thoughts on those above - the Long deal doesn't really represent bad business when you look at the alternatives.

I wouldn't be surprised if the fee is not £12m. Sky do love to talk up and inflate prices as part of their campaign to big up the PL, make it appear more exciting and help in the branding of the self-styled "best league in the world."

Jim White would not be able to work himself up into an orgasmic state over a £6m signing.

Also, Sky's Sports News' policy of being firstest and loudest with breaking stories means other media outlets will not bother to check out its veracity, go along with it, and thus the figure becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy, cast in stone.

People still convinced we are having a fire sale?

Who is more of a risk....

Pelle @ £9m with no PL game time

Long @ £12m with the PL experience

Which other forward is available with PL experience and who we could buy (which means they want to come here) and who would fit in?

Some thoughts on those above - the Long deal doesn't really represent bad business when you look at the alternatives.

I think Borini or Ings could have been decent options, but Long is a better striker for the here and now. The key thing for me is Long's Premier League experience and being able to rely on a player to score goals at this level. None of our other signings can guarantee that and given that 70% of our source of goals last season (Lambert/Lallana/J-Rod) have been sold or remain injured, it is a pretty big risk to enter a new season without a properly recognised PL scorer. Not saying he is prolific by any means but would expect him to reach similar figures to Lallana and Lambert achieved last year, and that will surely do?

I wouldn't be surprised if the fee is not £12m. Sky do love to talk up and inflate prices as part of their campaign to big up the PL, make it appear more exciting and help in the branding of the self-styled "best league in the world."

Jim White would not be able to work himself up into an orgasmic state over a £6m signing.

Also, Sky's Sports News' policy of being firstest and loudest with breaking stories means other media outlets will not bother to check out its veracity, go along with it, and thus the figure becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy, cast in stone.

I look on http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/ and they come up with all sorts of fees!!

People still convinced we are having a fire sale?

Who is more of a risk....

Pelle @ £9m with no PL game time

Long @ £12m with the PL experience

Which other forward is available with PL experience and who we could buy (which means they want to come here) and who would fit in?

You honestly believe there is not a single alternative? Despite long having not been mentioned this entire summer?

Worth bearing in mind a statistics point. The number of goals a striker scores in a given season should be adjusted to reflect the overall quality of the club he's playing for. For the last 3 years Long has been playing for WBA and Hull. They seem to score about 40 goals a season. The top clubs score about 100. Number of goals scored by a striker is hugely a function of chances created by the rest of the team. Long's average 8 goals a year for Hull/WBA arguably are therefore equivalent to about 20 goals if he had been playing for Man City or Liverpool.

Bottom line. We won't really know how good he is until we see the partnership with Pelle, and the service from Tadic, Ramirez and gang.

Edited by NewYorkSaint
typo fix

What the hell? Shane Long for £12 million? This came out the blue. Does Koeman even know who he is?

Looking for the positives, umm, he can score goals at this level, although not prolifically. He's got a few years left in him. Umm... Does it weaken Hull?

Not sure how I feel about this. Confused I guess. The club appear to be panicking. I'd rather we went into the season with just Gallagher and Pelle and Mayuka and signed a striker towards the end of the window after careful deliberation.

This says a lot about our ambition. Either way let's hope he proves us all wrong and bangs em in.

You honestly believe there is not a single alternative? Despite long having not been mentioned this entire summer?

No, that's not what I was saying. I was asking other's opinions on who would come? If people are deluded enough to think that the like of Hernandez would come here over the likes of Juve, then that can't be helped. None of the strikers at the top 7 would think of dropping down to us. If that is the case, and you want PL experience, which seems to be at the heart of this, who do you go for that is a better alternative? Bony? Benteke? Not sure that they would see Saints as part of their career development, nor Remy, even if we could afford his wages. So who would you go with, remembering the PL experience is a must?

Could be the lowest point of the entire rotten summer for me, though at least it shows that the conspiracy theorists were all wrong about asset stripping. All through the summer I have been reminding myself of the phrase that goes something like "never put down to grand conspiracy what could equally be put down to incompetence" which may be a bit mean in this case but this puts Ralph's claims of being in control of the transfer situation into a harsh light.

Bluntly speaking we have set up a triple whammy situation where a) clubs know we've got money to spend and b) know we are under pressure to spend it, while c) the players we would like to get in take one look at the situation and the press storm it has created and say no thanks. This is how we have got to the point where we are seemingly about to spend £12 million on Shane Long.

Nothing against the guy, who I hope will end up doing ok for us, but you will not find a single person outside the club who thinks he is worth anything close to that. More worryingly, we have seen with the likes of Torres and Carroll that putting a grossly inflated fee on a striker can have a major detrimental effect on their confidence if things don't click right away.

Also, and this is just my opinion, but it would have at least been nice if, having decided we were willing to pay an English premium, to have got an English (or even British) player.

No, that's not what I was saying. I was asking other's opinions on who would come? If people are deluded enough to think that the like of Hernandez would come here over the likes of Juve, then that can't be helped. None of the top 7 would think of dropping down to us. If that is the case, and you want PL experience, which seems to be at the heart of this, who do you go for that is a better alternative? Bony? Benteke? Not sure that they would see Saints as part of their career development, nor Remy, even if we could afford his wages. So who would you go with, remembering the PL experience is a must?

Why is Pl experience a must? Most of our successful signings in recent seasons haven't had PL experience.

Pacey, strong and can run the channels, also capable of scoring and dragging defenders out of position to create space for Pelle or the creative midfielders.

The Leverkusen game showed a need for someone who can stretch the centre backs of the opposition and force their line back. While he is not world class he will do a job and I shall not take out any frustration over the combined factors of his price, the state of the market and our weak bargaining position.

Welcome aboard Shane. Good luck.

Do any of you remember what he did to us at st Mary's with WBA

Missed an absolute sitter from point blank range?

I also remember his performance up at the Hawthornes when he didn't have Lukaku and co. around.

Edited by shurlock

So we sell Rickie Lambert for £4m and replace him with Shane ****ing Long for 3 times that. Can't believe how many people think this is a good signing! We are in for a long difficult season.

When sky broke the Lambert deal they initially said £9 million. Turned out to be £4 mil ( according to you). Perhaps you could enlighten us as to exactly how much we are paying for Long ( excluding add ons ) , your source for this information and finally how much you think Shane Long is worth

Why is Pl experience a must? Most of our successful signings in recent seasons haven't had PL experience.

Because I think it is, given the situation that we find ourselves in with the strikers. Gallagher is not up to it at the moment, nor is Mayuka and Pelle is an unknown. Maybe consider it erring on the side of caution.

OK, you might think otherwise, but why not humour me, and let's say that PL experience is VITAL and the reason behind this. Who would you go for? We tried with Hernandez, but that didn't work, so who else?

Pacey, strong and can run the channels, also capable of scoring and dragging defenders out of position to create space for Pelle or the creative midfielders.

The Leverkusen game showed a need for someone who can stretch the centre backs of the opposition and force their line back. While he is not world class he will do a job and I shall not take out any frustration over the combined factors of his price, the state of the market and our weak bargaining position.

Welcome aboard Shane. Good luck.

Have to agree. Thought he would have fitted well in Poch's system last season too, loves to hassle and press the opposition and will create space for our midfielders to pass/run into. Definitely expensive but we are far from the only team to have paid a premium on British players this summer - only need to look as far as Hull to see that.

To say you will be more upset with a signing than a sale is just odd. The money is nothing to you, it will never be in your account and you will never even know the terms of the deal.

Really? So the club is printing it's own money now, I never knew.

I always assumed the money came from people like me paying £40 to sit in a seat for 2 hours, or buying a cheap polyester t-shirt for £50, or paying £60 a month for the privilege of watching my own television.

If money is nothing then why not go the whole hog and spend £15m on Kieron Richardson, Darren Bent for £10m and John O'Shea for £9m. Then we can have a squad full of overpriced mediocrity but it doesn't matter because apparently it's not my money.

12million is too much but he's a good little player who should score goals for us. Would prefer him to start games than Isgrove. Can see Long being used a lot more effectively away from home, pushing back the pressing of the home team and allowing a bit of space for midfielders and attackers to get into.

Nasty little bugger mind.

Wow!! The over reaction in here is truly pathetic. I'll admit, at the moment of hearing the link and then the fee I was hardly jumping with joy. However, when you take a moment to think about it this is actually a really good purchase. Last season our goals came from three main sources, Lambert JRod and Lallana. We now have Pelle Long Tadic AND JRod (who will be first on the team sheet most weeks when fit) and hopefully a rejuvenated and effective Gaston. Last two seasons Lallana scored 14, Long 17. Long will provide great short term cover for JRod and excellent competition in training and a very good option from the bench.

This board is full of clueless over reactionary fools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pessimism aside, let's look at this from a different angle. If we had've kept Lambert and signed Long for some added depth, this signing would have been viewed as a good one. Pelle may turn out to be an adequate replacement for Lambert. If so, our attacking force is potentially stronger than it was last season.

Anyway, welcome to the club Shane. A good worker who'll no doubt put in a shift for us. Now we need to focus on a center half.

Christ you lot are hysterical, for all we know he could have been way down our targets. maybe it's just that we couldn't acquire Hernandez or Ings so he is next on the list, regarding the price couldn't that be to do with the fact every club in the land knows we are sat on mountains of cash at the moment meaning inflated prices, I'm relatively pleased as pace and hard work is something which be lack and I'm not expecting any top class players to be falling over themselves to sign for us in this 'transitional' period as it were. Good luck Shane!