Shane Long

doggface

its fee.

he will be our 2nd most expensive striker ever

also, we will never ever sell him for anything close to that, which is again, at odds with our previous signings (bar ossie)

will we really be spending upwards of £12m (if the reports are true) to sit on the bench?

no

he scores very few goals

Okay, if it's the fee (I agree that it's exorbitant at first glance), fair enough. The next Q is by how much do you feel we've overpaid if the speculated fee is accurate? I would suggest, say, £4m or so(?). If he scores 30 goals over the next three seasons (I think he'll score more, personally) then it's peanuts, really.

Shall we offer 6m then and be happy when they reject it and just carry on with one striker?

To say you will be more upset with a signing than a sale is just odd. The money is nothing to you, it will never be in your account and you will never even know the terms of the deal.

Is Long the best striker around? No.

Is he better than what we have? Yes

Does he have attributes none of our others do? Yes

Will he give Koeman more options? Yes

Has he got extensive experience of the PL? Yes

Will he score some goals for us? Yes

Is he overpriced? Yes

Are all players overpriced at the moment? Yes

Would we be a stronger squad for signing him? Yes

Great post! Scale the **** down everybody. People screaming for signings and when there is a sniff every bugger goes mental! Robbie Savage was a complete arsehole but every other team wanted a Robbie in their team because he was disruptive. long could be the Robbie for Saints.

I remember him playing against us was a terror for our defenders.

But then we were a huge club in League 1. Now we are just a middle sized club in the prem. We aren't going to be signing those sorts of players. If people continue with this mentality that we should be signing marquee signings then prepare to be constantly underwhelmed.

Well if so what's the point of our much publicised scouting network all over the world? May as well close that down as we don't seem to be able to find gold out there. I'm sure Koeman licked his lips in anticipation when we told him to come to Southampton and buy 27year old journeymen for 12m. Long is a decent player, but the price tag will weigh him down in many fans eyes and we will expect plenty back from him. Sell your family silver for good money and then buy chrome plate for solid silver prices, madness. The folly of our buying strategy this summer is comedy genius

Saint Charlie and Heisenberg are in the minority of those who are talking a bit of sense. Long will get us goals, forget the transfer fee, that's the way the market is currently. Hernandez clearly didn't want to come so we've had to set our sights lower. I hope Long bangs in a few goals so we can revisit this thread.

Of course the fee is relevant. It determines what funds we have available for other transfers. It's not a difficult concept for all those who keep saying it's irrelevant / not the fans money etc etc

Read, pal. I said the fee is *nigh on* irrelevant *if* you (anyone) deem him a substandard player because you'd not be satisfied if he signed for half of the reported fee. We're assessing the signing on its individual merit. I'll simplify, what's your main gripe?

what about those who state he is a good signing?

should they not say that and wait and see? you forget to mention them

I don't know about you Brett, but I long for the L1 days when we were the most attractive team for a player outside of the top 4 clubs in England.

This forum has really gone in to meltdown of late. This is where we are right now accept it. We had two amazing years and have come down to a big bump. I like our aspirations but we have to accept that the club needs to go one step back before it goes forward.

12 mill does sound a lot but I really couldn't care a less Reed Rk and co know about football and how best to utilise players better then any one of us.

If that what is takes to get the players in then so be it. Didn't hear u all screaming when the players got sold for way in excess if their worth. You couldn't believe how pulled their pants down!

Lighten up sit back and enjoy the ride this year and support the ****ing team.

Great post! Scale the **** down everybody. People screaming for signings and when there is a sniff every bugger goes mental! Robbie Savage was a complete arsehole but every other team wanted a Robbie in their team because he was disruptive. long could be the Robbie for Saints.

Were either Hooiveld or Yoshida involved that day ?

I try and wait to see how things turn out and then make a judgement. But obviously negative people like yourself just wish to moan and bed wet about anything.

Quite sad really.

When you say "I moan and bed wet about anything", what does that even mean?

I've been supportive of Krueger, Reed and the owner all summer, delighted with Koeman, happy with our signings to now, and pragmatic about our departures (excluding Chambers). I've had plenty of stick on here for defending the club and what has happened this year. So to lamely try and tag me as a moaning bed wetter is rather pathetic on your part.

The hilarious thing is I am fine with us buying Long if Koeman wants him, but defend the right of people on here to be underwhelmed, because amongst other things he clearly wasn't a first choice target. And he is a underwhelming signing. He just is.

It's people like you who hadn't even considered us going for Shane Long until 10pm last night coming on here suggesting there are no better options and how great it all is, based purely on the fact that we now want him. If he signed for QPR no one would care about Shane Long.

And I'll repeat: if all you want to read is "let's wait and see" on a forum thread about a new signing, then forums really aren't for you.

What are we buying??

1) A striker with PL experience. Some say that that is not important and that we can go into Europe and pick up someone cheaper, or maybe in to the lower leagues. To me, we have already done that in Pelle and Gallagher. I know with the latter we haven't really, but I see him at that level. Therefore, while JRod is off games (and may be off which seems likely if he has refused an extension to his contract), it seems vital to sign someone who knows his way around the PL. I imagine that the cliub think that he will work well with the Italian Stallion. While his goal return may not be overly impressive, he seemingly causes defences problems wherever he goes.

2) A home grown player -we are getting a wee bit low on them. HG players attract a premium. People still have failed to mention who they would have brought in instead of him. The criteria seem to be: affordable, want to play for us, PL experience, HG. I may be wrong on the PL/HG but that is my opinion. As none of the strikers at the top 7 are going to come here, they are a liitle bit at a premium. But like most whingers in life, all they do is whinge without giving any alternatives. Looking at our HG players: Clyne, Cork, Davis, Davis, JRod, Morgan, Forster, Bertrand. KD might or might not be here. Hernandez wasn't HG, so maybe not the ultimate consideration, but surely it must be one.

3) A hard working player. There are flair players and those that are damned hard workers who might not be overly fancied. I think Long is the latter in the same way that S. Davis is.

4) Someone who can bring a bit of aggressiveness to the side.

5) A striker with speed. I know I am not the only person to think this, but SRL was glacial at times.

Sure he is expensive, and given that the REPORTED fee gives Hull a massive profit in a short time, then he does seem too expensive. But needs must. I wouldn't say it was a panic buy, but no point faffing about. Also no point putting in a cheeky low bid which would get turned down. I don't advocate over paying, but in this instance, I can understand why an offer too good to refuse has been offered.

This, people really do need to get off there high horse and give the guy a break.

Overpriced he maybe but what do you expect, sign some big time Charlie who will want out at the first opportunity because that works well on here doesn't it.

How do you think Long would fit into the starting line up. Pelle down the middle and Tadic and Long either side?

It's a good question. Pelle looks like he could do with good runners off and around him. Could Long take on Isgrove's role? Track back enough? I'm not sure.

Am I the only one who is happy signing home grown players over overseas players? They may or may not be as good, but at least they have some connection to the country. The Irish bit is stretching it a wee bit, but at least he is home grown. After the pillaging of the club, I am quite happy to say **** it, and join in with the Man City's of this world and populate our team with mercenaries from around the world, but really would prefer home grown. But then, I look at the youngsters - Isgrove, McQueen, Targett, Reed, Gallagher, etc - and see that we haven't totally abandoned the home grown core. In fact, this summer has made me a lot more cynical about the PL. It's **** really, so why bother to do things the "right way"?

The only problem I have is the fee on this one, but generally it's a pretty smart signing. Proven and experienced at this level, he will score goals (not many, but probably close to Lamberts total). Just a tad over priced, but I guess it's not our money we're spending!

How do you think Long would fit into the starting line up. Pelle down the middle and Tadic and Long either side?

We are building a squad here rather than a team. Long will give us the option to play two up top, he can play up front on his own or potentially as a wide striker in 3 with Rodriguez when he comes back, although not his best role. It's a huge fee but he's a decent player and gives us options and is something different to what we don't have. It'll give Koeman the ability to switch tactics and formations rather than playing the same system week in week and and like for like subs like Pochetino.

We could probably buy Ings for £8m and at least he brings some potential and goal threat.

I keep reading this and I keep thinking, if we COULD get Ings we probably would have done so by now surely. Which probably means we aren't going too, for whatever reason.

I've only ever seen Long play against us so I am not in a position to comment on his value. But if the manager reckons he can work with him so be it.

I also tend to think he won't be the last attacking signing before the end of the window but again that's just my best guess.

The only problem I have is the fee on this one, but generally it's a pretty smart signing. Proven and experienced at this level, he will score goals (not many, but probably close to Lamberts total). Just a tad over priced, but I guess it's not our money we're spending!
thats my feeling. Not a bad player just paying over the top.We must have the oldest front 2 in the league.Hopefully their experience will tell.

I keep reading this and I keep thinking, if we COULD get Ings we probably would have done so by now surely. Which probably means we aren't going too, for whatever reason.

I've only ever seen Long play against us so I am not in a position to comment on his value. But if the manager reckons he can work with him so be it.

I also tend to think he won't be the last attacking signing before the end of the window but again that's just my best guess.

Possibly not prepared to pay over the odds for a player in the last year of his contract. Maybe we've sounded out his agent and we'll end up signing him for nothing next summer or for a reduced fee in January?

Is it similarly "strange" when JRod plays on the left?

No, because Jay Rod had been touted to play out on the left when he joined and also played their previously for Burnley.

Whereas Shane Long is a 27 year old striker who has never played on the left and only ever had his best patches of form when he played with another striker up front, which we haven't done since our return in the Premier League and Koeman hasn't done in pre-season friendlies.

I dont think there is any way, shape or form that Burnley would sell Ings.... It would be madness.

Even if they kept him, stayed up, and let him go on a free it would be worth it.

If they lose him and go down, well, they'll need to cut the wage budget anyway, maybe.

Shane long is a good signing for us, suprised more can't see it. The lad runs and runs, scores good goals when he has decent service around him and is a real nuisance. Him JayRod and Pelle will cause any defense a hard time.

Then 2 of tadic, ramirez, davis. and JWP in behind as CM's and Wanyama, morgan or Cork sat behind them. That is just one possible formation.

We can equally play 2 up etc etc... The only thing I will say is that either Gallagher has just had his first team chances squashed.... or JayRod is on his bike in January...

Also, just typing out our CM options, seems apparent that Spiderman is on his way as well. Far too much depth there, not needed at all.

I'd rather Pele upfront with Osvaldo, but I guess beggers can't be choosers. 12M is a lot but what do you expect? We're desperate, we've left it too late, and everyone knows we've got a **** load of money.

Precisely - throw in the fact that the market is inflated anyway (11m for McCormack etc.) and Long's fee is a bit more palatable. If we assume that he'll stay for an extended period of time, it could actually be quite the shrewd signing.

Possibly not prepared to pay over the odds for a player in the last year of his contract. Maybe we've sounded out his agent and we'll end up signing him for nothing next summer or for a reduced fee in January?

Very possibly. I would be quite content with either of those scenarios. I'd also happily jizz in my pants if he comes in before September the 1st.

This, people really do need to get off there high horse and give the guy a break.

Overpriced he maybe but what do you expect, sign some big time Charlie who will want out at the first opportunity because that works well on here doesn't it.

Or sign someone like Wanyama who is quality and hasn't left?

No, because Jay Rod had been touted to play out on the left when he joined and also played their previously for Burnley.

Whereas Shane Long is a 27 year old striker who has never played on the left and only ever had his best patches of form when he played with another striker up front, which we haven't done since our return in the Premier League and Koeman hasn't done in pre-season friendlies.

Whenever I've seen Long he spends a lot of time running into the channels. He works hard and isn't slow. I don't see why he wouldn't play slightly wider in a 433.

Exactly, in a lot of the youtube videos of his "best bits" he is in the left wing channel.

Exactly, in a lot of the youtube videos of his "best bits" he is in the left wing channel.

That's where he runs into, not where he starts. He is a striker who plays central and moves into either channel chasing things. The fee is one thing, the player is another. I don't see where he fits into things as it stands. We've been linked with wingers all summer for that left-side berth and now we're going to shunt a striker out there? Weird.

Funny, but on reading the news on this my immediate thoughts were he's a cross between Ormerod and David Speedie.

Seem ro recall he was the pr1ck who went down clutching his face to get Ramirez sent off v WBA (after tugging his shirt for the previous 20 yards) then got up without a mark on it.

We could probably buy Ings for £8m and at least he brings some potential and goal threat.£12m for Long, if true, is excessive. Perhaps we've realised we can't entice the big players we wanted, so Plan B, lets act big and spend £12m on a journeyman player.

Happy to be surprised and proved wrong.

But we can't buy Ings for £8m though can we? Because he is young English, doesn't want to move, has no PL experience, and Burnley won't sell. This is the point of the whole transfer window. If Liverpool want Ings they can get him, if we, or any of the other mid table clubs want him, he won't go.

Spot on Clarkey. If the fee being paid was less we would be hailing this as a Kevin Phillips type signing, given that the Hernandez push was never likely to work out. Long is the ideal type of player to feed off a lump like Pelle.

As every one is reacting to the 12 million fee being reported [which if correct does sound on the high side]. I would think that the more likely scenario than us " over paying" is that the fee is being reported inaccurately.

From what I see most of the press are lazy and more concerned about creating a reaction than being accurate. Maybe it gets to 12 million if he scores 50 goals a season or something........................

How can anybody get excited about signing Shane Long? He is a Crystal Palace, Aston Villa, Stoke, etc kind of signing. Before anybody shoots me down I know our long term visions may have changed and that we have to accept our place in the food chain but deary me it's a kick in the balls to pay good money for a plodder like Long...I hope RK knows what he is doing..might as well bring back Lee Barnard. Hopefully he may read this thread before signing and stay at hull. 12 Million..Jesus

Could be used in a 4 4 2 with Tadic at the top of a diamond midfield. Or on the left as J Rod does, Rickie used to pull out to the left and J Rod would make the run from deep into the space created by Lambert. Pelle may take the Rickie role. Pelle tended to stay more central in the two games I have seen so far though.

Long's not a bad player at all. yes, £12 million seem's a hell of a lot but player prices have gone truly mental this year. I think he'll bring something valuable to the squad and give us great attacking options, especially if we need to switch tactics during a game. I'm not saying he's the best signing in the world but he'll give us depth and at this moment in time, that's something we really need.

To the bed-wetters on this post, if we are in negotiations with Hull and they fall through, and we end up with no Shane Long, would that really make you happy? What then happens when we don't get anyone else and we're left starting the season with our current options up front?

Believe me, we are far better off with a player like Long than we are with nothing at all.

All summer I've been reading on here how the board is asset stripping and about how money is "sitting in a Swiss bank account". I've read how we have made "derisory" offers and it's no wonder we can't sign players if we're not prepared to pay. Now the same people, with no sense of irony, are popping up and saying we have overpaid for a goalkeeper and are REPORTEDLY overpaying for Shane Long. Honestly, are we being asset stripped of are we being profligate?

I doubt Long was top of our list of targets. However, RK and Les Reed must think HCDAJFU or they wouldn't be bidding for him. They are not obliged to sign anyone just for the sake of it. We got top prices for the players who left this summer, probably more than most of them were worth. It's not surprising that other clubs seek the same. I doubt the fee is as high as reported but, even if it is, it's less than we got for a relatively untested right back.

The moaning on here can be so depressing.

Long's not a bad player at all. yes, £12 million seem's a hell of a lot but player prices have gone truly mental this year. I think he'll bring something valuable to the squad and give us great attacking options, especially if we need to switch tactics during a game. I'm not saying he's the best signing in the world but he'll give us depth and at this moment in time, that's something we really need.

To the bed-wetters on this post, if we are in negotiations with Hull and they fall through, and we end up with no Shane Long, would that really make you happy? What then happens when we don't get anyone else and we're left starting the season with our current options up front?

Believe me, we are far better off with a player like Long than we are with nothing at all.

So the choice is now Long for 12 million or no one? Wow that was quick! Before last night no one was even talking about him!