Shane Long

doggface

Because at the time their ambitions were far below ours. If we had been consistent relegation fighters then we would be probably thinking its a solid signing (though not at the prices mooted). Everyone is just disappointed that our strategy seems to have drastically changed and is now a reflection on our ambitions.

But many naysayers on here believe we will be in a relegation battle

People are saying not very good from the scouting network. But I would say the opposite. They obviously know something, as of all the players out there, he really wasn't on the radar of most people, so I would have to say that they know something that we don't. Well, that's my optimistic view on things.

I actually like him as a player, but I think that the price is a little misleading (at least I hope it is).

Everyone rattling on about the price, how many sources have confirmed it's going to be this sort of figure?

Actually it's not only the price people are talking about. It's the fact that he is far from a decent player . The price just makes the whole thing totally unbelievable... If not slightly bizarre ..

Brett was a solid 8 a season hard worker with good link up play. You'd have to think he'd be worth a silly price today.

All very well to just say 'that's market price now', but where does it end? I don't blame saints for holding out for high prices, or Hull, or Leeds. It's top down, as soon as you get £60m+ players each year there's a lot of money flowing around, from barca to liverpool to saints to hull or celtic etc and so on.

And each year squeezing fans on ticket prices and shirt prices for the sake a tiny fractions of these figures. It's unsustainable.

Brett Ormerod 8 a season? What?

he scored 13 goals in 5 years.

Actually it's not only the price people are talking about. It's the fact that he is far from a decent player . The price just makes the whole thing totally unbelievable... If not slightly bizarre ..
He's not "far from a decent player" though is he? Try to be sensible.

I would be very confident that he will provide more for us than great saint cortese signings mayuka and osvaldo

Shane Long is worth £6m not £12m. If we end up paying that I will feel worse than any of the departures. At least we did the best thing possible with them, however £12m for a striker who scored 7 goals last season is just ludicrous.

Shall we offer 6m then and be happy when they reject it and just carry on with one striker?

To say you will be more upset with a signing than a sale is just odd. The money is nothing to you, it will never be in your account and you will never even know the terms of the deal.

Is Long the best striker around? No.

Is he better than what we have? Yes

Does he have attributes none of our others do? Yes

Will he give Koeman more options? Yes

Has he got extensive experience of the PL? Yes

Will he score some goals for us? Yes

Is he overpriced? Yes

Are all players overpriced at the moment? Yes

Would we be a stronger squad for signing him? Yes

OK - I have had a chance to think about it.......Hull pocket a tidy profit. But, it rather depends on who they get in to replace him and how much he costs. The whole market has changed recently and this might just be a realignment. So if they have to spend all the profit on getting someone in who may or may not be as good, then they are the losers in this. Everyone is saying that £12m is too much, but is it any worse than....

£8.5m Cornelius and Van Wolfswinkle

£11m McComack

£5.5m Assombalonga

Some on the Hull forums are thinking about Rhodes, but last I heard was that his price was £15m.

Still details of fees are notoriously guarded, so.....

There was one season where he scored 2 in about 35 games. They were the days.

Loveable, though. Not sure that Long's price tag will provide the same level of empathy/forgiveness that Brett inspired.

Maybe if Long fires us to Wembley, he will.

He's a decent player, will add pace and frankly a bit of nastiness to the team which we haven't had for a while. £12m is clearly a mental price though...

If he's bought as Jay Rod replacement then we may as well give up now

I agree,but as a replacement for Gallagher, good news. Now we need another striker for Osvaldo and to make sure Jay Rod keeps his head.

Ings anyone!? We still have piles of cash to spend.... isn't that right Mr Krueger?

£45m spent.... £50m odd to go.

I'm more concerned about player than fee. ok sub, better than gallagher, but I thought we'd be doing far better business this summer. i thought tadic and pelle were the decent start leading to far better signings, but they were the peak. forster, taider and bertrand are all fine but it's impossible to make out we're near as good as last season. with the money coming in i thought we could solve the problem areas and look as good if not better overall.

CB situation is a nightmare.

As did I. I don't think anyone can dispute that our signings have seen a drop in quality this summer. We have lost top quality players and replaced with signings that are OK or good. At the least I wanted a player like Ings that had the potential to improve both in performance and value. The likes of pelle and long even if they perform OK are going to see their values decrease.

Some can argue about the price tag and how good he is/isn't but it has to be admitted that our targets are a downgrade on what we've been used to recently.

Was always going to be the case once Cortese left because we were apparently overspending.

We are a different (more sustainable) club now.

Re Long, worth everyone remembering it isnt his fault the fee is high. He deserves support the same as anyone else and if he does well fans will love him.