Shane Long

doggface

Some over-reaction on here. He wouldn't be my first choice, but he's a decent enough player and would definitely add to our squad. I doubt the £12m is even true.

I think we should apply the popular "I bet Liverpool only really gave us £15m for Lallana/Lovren" forum conspiracy theory to this fee.

We probably only give Hull £12m if we win the Europa League.

When Ross McCormack went for £11m did think that was fair price?

What next, comparing andy Carroll???

Judging an over priced player with another clubs over priced player is a tad silly

The fee should be judged in relation to all transfers of similar standing. So, yes, Carroll (to West Ham), McCormack, Osvaldo, Valencia, Jelavic, Bony, etc.

Confirmation the "Southampton way" is officially dead, we are now doing exactly what every other lower half team does, loans and mercenaries all the way. I'm going to miss signing promising players and developing them rather than signing "proven" dross just to scrape by every year.

Well put. Very very sad indeed ..... A joke...

Confirmation the "Southampton way" is officially dead, we are now doing exactly what every other lower half team does, loans and mercenaries all the way. I'm going to miss signing promising players and developing them rather than signing "proven" dross just to scrape by every year.
So how would you describe Tadic and Forster? Who exactly are you categorising as "proven dross"?

When Ross McCormack went for £11m did think that was fair price?

What next, comparing andy Carroll???

Judging an over priced player with another clubs over priced player is a tad silly

Never said it was fair. Just market rates and using McCormack as a comparison. And read the post Jamie, i'm not judging a player by his price tag so don't go reading stuff that ain't there.

Every time I've seen him he's been a pain in the arse. Good to have him on board.

4 goals in 15 league appearences - no worse than Osvaldo tbh.

Before we get caught up in the headline fee we have no idea how it would be structured. Could well be a very small amount upfront and rest on appearances, goals, years at the club etc.

Also I recall there was a lot of people praising Hull last year for this signing, saying it was good business, why is he suddenly sh17 now?

Don't see what the problem is. He has played and scored in the Premier League for the past few years, he has some pace, good in the air and works hard.

i would rather have him than some foreign guy who has never set foot in England and is a gamble.

i think people need to remember this is Southampton, not Man Utd.

Before we get caught up in the headline fee we have no idea how it would be structured. Could well be a very small amount upfront and rest on appearances, goals, years at the club etc.

Also I recall there was a lot of people praising Hull last year for this signing, saying it was good business, why is he suddenly sh17 now?

I thought it was a stupid panic buy by them at the time. Now we are getting them out of jail and giving them a profit fir that dross.

Because at the time their ambitions were far below ours. If we had been consistent relegation fighters then we would be probably thinking its a solid signing (though not at the prices mooted). Everyone is just disappointed that our strategy seems to have drastically changed and is now a reflection on our ambitions.

Reckon he would be ok for us, giving needed pace whilst Jay Rod is out. But there is no rhyme or reason for £12m. Must just be Hull trying it on. We need to start the season well and need some pace up front.

2013/4 30 games, 7 goals, total of 2236 minutes

2012/3 34 games, 8 goals, total of 2150 minutes

2011/2 32 games, 8 goals, total of 2186 minutes

People have brought Hernandez into the discussion, and below are the stats for the same period. Anyway, as he is off to Juve, I think it a little superfluous mentioning him....

2013/4 24 games, 4 goals, total of 855 minutes

2012/3 22 games, 10 goals, total of 953 minutes

2011/2 28 games, 10 goals, total of 1496 minutes

He can play wide, can play through middle on his own or with Pelle. Works hard, is quick, makes runs in behind which none of our current players do and knows the PL.

Forget the fee, it is almost irrelevant to a fan just like the amounts coming in.

He will do a job and add competition up front.

My thoughts really. He's not bad at all, offers something different to the other players in the squad and reinforces an area where we have no depth.

I quite rate him. He's a hard worker and has good pace. Can play as the main forward or in the J-Rod role. £12m is a lot of money but ever club knows we have money to spend which puts 20-30% on top of any fee we'd normally pay. Happy(ish) with this signing.

Given that the deal is almost certainly going to be structured, there's a high probability that it'll include performance-related clauses. If he's as sub-standard as many of you are certain that he is, why the concern? He'll never satisfy those (potential) clauses, right?

For that fee, I'm definitely writing him off. Happy to eat my words if he scores 15, but there's about as much chance of me doing it as him...

He scored 7 goals in 30 appearances last year with Hull and West Brom. That's 10 goals a season form....with West Brom and Hull.

Look, we've just signed seven or eight Premier League goals, guaranteed.

So for those asking "where are the goals coming from", there's some right there.

Well done to our pan-global scouting team.

Agreed. And we still have loads of cash and the chance to buy another striker.

Someone said that the £10m fee was not correct (I think KB did). Since then the fee has gone up to £12m. Hull signed him in January 2014 for £7.5m so I would be very surprised if an extra £4.5m was to be added after 6 months.

They will probably be selling him for 1 of 2 reasons: 1. They are making a tidy profit. 2. They have decided he isn't very good. Possibly both reasons apply.

They will probably be selling him for 1 of 2 reasons: 1. They are making a tidy profit. 2. They have decided he isn't very good. Possibly both reasons apply.

They panic bought him in jan. Given it sounds we're getting them out of that hole and giving them a whacking great profit they are understandably biting our hand off.

2013/4 30 games, 7 goals, total of 2236 minutes

2012/3 34 games, 8 goals, total of 2150 minutes

2011/2 32 games, 8 goals, total of 2186 minutes

People have brought Hernandez into the discussion, and below are the stats for the same period. Anyway, as he is off to Juve, I think it a little superfluous mentioning him....

2013/4 24 games, 4 goals, total of 855 minutes

2012/3 22 games, 10 goals, total of 953 minutes

2011/2 28 games, 10 goals, total of 1496 minutes

2013/14 - Hull/West From

2012/3 - West From

2011/2 - West From

2013/4 - Manchester United

2012/3 - Manchester United

2011/2 - Manchester United

Edit: Yes, West From (Brom)

Reminds me a bit of the Delap signing. Pretty expensive and not the sort of player we normally went for - some actual premier league experience but had only looked ok rather than someone who could be amazing.

Might well turn out to be the best of our three most expensive signings - but that's not saying too much!

He's a decent player, will add pace and frankly a bit of nastiness to the team which we haven't had for a while. £12m is clearly a mental price though. Thing is, it will be reported as undisclosed, so how will we ever know how the deal is structured? £7m and an extra 1m every 10 goals he scores would be an example of a great deal for us. £10m up front and £500k every 20 games he plays not so much. If he's bought as Jay Rod replacement then we may as well give up now

He's a decent player, will add pace and frankly a bit of nastiness to the team which we haven't had for a while. £12m is clearly a mental price though. Thing is, it will be reported as undisclosed, so how will we ever know how the deal is structured? £7m and an extra 1m every 10 goals he scores would be an example of a great deal for us. £10m up front and £500k every 20 games he plays not so much. If he's bought as Jay Rod replacement then we may as well give up now

Actually, this is pretty on the money (as it were)