Paul Mitchell To Leave Saints

Saint-Armstrong

Which of the points do you disagree with then?

Think the story is entirely fictional and made up by Journalists?

Spurs want him. He may want to go (nobody knows) but its not beyond the realms of possibility that like MP he thinks Spurs are bigger than Saints.

Remember he isnt a Saints fan, he is a person trying to push his career along and is sought after in his field after work done here. He may see the chance of rebuilding Spurs' scouting as a way to put himself in the frame for a job at one of the very biggest clubs.

What is wrong with that? See if you can give a proper answer rather than the "you don't support Saints routine".

It's the constant being negative about everything from you. I do to think spurs are better prospect anyway. If we want to improve we have to draw a line in sand and keep people like this. Tbh looks like we will as it's gone quiet.

So who applies for a job, but on the proviso that he doesn't report through a certain person?

Those conversations only happen during advanced talks, and usually when someone is head hunted..

So, the report is a bit of ball aches either one way or another.

IMHO possibilities are -

- He's been headhunted as the next Director of Football

And-or

Levy through his media hacks are manouvrring Baldini towards the exit door in a vain attempt to appease the fans and owners

It's the constant being negative about everything from you. I do to think spurs are better prospect anyway. If we want to improve we have to draw a line in sand and keep people like this. Tbh looks like we will as it's gone quiet.

Agree we should look to keep people like Mitchell but if we don't its not being "negative" its just football.

As I said before, wouldnt suprise me if he goes based on the info we have. Stories about backroom staff rarely are leaked if they arent true becaise its not the kind of gossip that sells! It was probably leaked by Spurs to make their fans aware they are trying to improve things.

Read the Echo article. Its all about how Saints wouldn't welcome an approach etc but wouldnt be suprised if one came.

Sounds a bit like the kind of comments made about MP, would you not agree?

Also worth remembering under which regime Mitchell was hired.

Hopefully. But sooner or later losing important members of staff to rivals will stop working out ok, surely?

It's this 'losing to rivals' that seems to have an element of conflict - is it really that the 'hereditary top 6' are so much more wonderful places to work than an 'upstart second place' club or is it that (for both players and staff) the fact we are where we are shows that, by their actions and performance, they are 'worth it' so they are more easily able to sell themselves for a good price?

if it were me and thee and whoever in a normal job, then absolutely we would consider ourselves 'worth it' - but we don't have '000's of fans hanging onto our coat tails who will feel 'betrayed'. I'm a freelancer by choice and only have 'loyalty' to my current employer so long as they continue to pay, and continue to show the intent to pay, me my fees. I will do the best possible I can whilst there since I will either get an extension or a valuable entry on my CV - but I will not break contract if something more juicy turns up since that way lies a bad reputation and no job offers.

Seems quite the opposite in football which is a strange, weird world where normal rules don't seem to apply.

But don't begrudge a man the chance to progress or improve his lot - even if it does 'annoy', after all, it's only a job.

Oh well, there are scouts out there with a much better pedigree. We had a good hit rate (despite our large profile flops) but I'm sure we can find a very good substitute.

I"m sure he can be replaced but do you know any names of these scouts with much better pedigree?

Also he is the Boss of the Scouts so Head of Recruitment.

You'll never take our black box!

This story just makes me lol at Spurs, Poch and Levy. Bit of an indictment of their own transfer policy, and suggests once again that Mr. Levy is bereft of ideas and imagination.

Funny that the cult of the individual continues unabated despite our successes this summer.

I"m sure he can be replaced but do you know any names of these scouts with much better pedigree?

Also he is the Boss of the Scouts so Head of Recruitment.

He worked for us and MK that's it. I imagine half the scouts in the prem have more of a top flight pedigree, perhaps we can tempt someone from Celtic or the Dutch league. Celtic have a great success rate (I'd argue, far superior to ours) and the Dutch are famed for their talent spotting and would quite possibly enjoy working with Koeman.

.....Also he is the Boss of the Scouts so Head of Recruitment.

So will likely be being hired for how he has run that team rather than his actual scouting skills. So hopefully the identification of prospects by our coaching people need not be hit by his leaving.

He worked for us and MK that's it. I imagine half the scouts in the prem have more of a top flight pedigree, perhaps we can tempt someone from Celtic or the Dutch league. Celtic have a great success rate (I'd argue, far superior to ours) and the Dutch are famed for their talent spotting and would quite possibly enjoy working with Koeman.

Any names?

Easy to say things like that, and would also have been easy for Spurs to get the Celtic scout if for some reason they wanted him. But they didn't.

Good spot whoever took him from MK Dons though, hopefully that was Reed and he can do it again.

Certainly an odd one, after he was so positive in the new training facilities, and fought for such good part in Staplewood. Seems odd he's just going to run off after waiting for those facilities for so long. Oh well, he's replaceable. One thing this summer has taught me, is that at our level, anyone is replaceable, although maybe not Morgan ;)

At least he will know it's going to cost Spurs an arm and a leg if they bid for Saints players. Schneiderlin knows he is going nowhere. Rodriguez a different case but if they want him it's still going to cost them a big big fee for a proven current international Premier League striker. Spurs on the cheap or part exchanged for doubtful cast offs that don't work for Pochettino which would almost have the guarantee that they wouldn't cut it here either isn't going to happen. I think Spurs problem will be the Saints cash on the nail policy that carefully chosen replacements can be brought in.

Michael Calvin, who has just written a book about scouting, was on Talksport a few days ago saying he couldn't think of a more unsuitable club for Paul Mitchell to join than Spurs as it's the exact opposite of what Saints are about. I guess money has raised it's ugly head again :(

I look forward to hearing what the club has to say about it when it becomes official.

just a reminder where we are in the football pecking order if true

Could you let the rest of us know what the pecking order is, and what the criteria are that clubs are judged on please?

Every individual has different priorities - for some it's the money, for others it might be promotion, for some it might be location, and for many it'll be the combination of all these and more besides. Trying to pin Mitchells departure on any one thing, especially something so arbitrary as 'the football pecking order' is pointless, and your speculation only reflects your personal view. I can see why you might think it, but we just don't know.

Personally I'm not worried at all. Spurs are trying to buy and poach success, but like any company, until the people at the top change the culture of the whole place, then they won't get far. As we heard recently, Markus brought (not bought) a whole philosophy and culture to the club which has gradually been embedded within everything that happens. That takes time, and can't just be replicated. Just as our team on the pitch is far greater than the sum of its parts, it's the same behind the scenes it seems. Mitchell did a great job, we should be very grateful, but this gives others an opportunity to bring something new and move us on.

Levy needs to change himself before he changes anything else for Spurs to improve.

I don't expect them to say anything. Or are we expecting a statement every time a backroom staff member leaves now?

Maybe you're right, the club won't say anything, and no, I certainly don't expect a statement about every member of the backroom staff that leaves, but considering this has been a newsworthy subject I expect the club will at least be asked about it.

I was interested in Batman's personal opinion of the pecking order, as he mentioned it, but it's probably the same.

Anyway, it nicely illustrates my point that in some peoples opinion, money = seniority, but not in mine, and not in many others'. And importantly, none of us know what motivates Paul Mitchell, so Batman's assertion is just speculation.

I was interested in Batman's personal opinion of the pecking order, as he mentioned it, but it's probably the same.

Anyway, it nicely illustrates my point that in some peoples opinion, money = seniority, but not in mine, and not in many others'. And importantly, none of us know what motivates Paul Mitchell, so Batman's assertion is just speculation.

It's hardly a wild assertion though, is it? Spurs are a bigger club in every sense. Paul Mitchell left MK Dons to join us. We're a bigger club in every sense than MK Dons. I can see why anyone would think Spurs are a step up - in terms of possible remuneration, scale of work you do, budget for signing players and so on. It is a good opportunity for him. Where I would question it is whether it is the right environment for him with the Levy and Baldini dynamic in position to undermine his work very easily. But that is the challenge you take on, and the risk you take for joining a bigger club.

To balance things...this would be the recruitment that bought us:

Gazzaniga

Osvaldo

Forren

Mayuka

Taider

Gaston

I will promise not to lose too much sleep tonight

It worries me more that this guy knows all of our key staff, most successful scouts etc. If spurs want to chuck obscene money at people and Mitchell tells them who to go after they can now pick us apart. Say 3 of our most distinguished youth scouts, 3 of our best pro scouts. Not to mention replicating our systems and setup. It wouldn't be an overnight thing for spurs but it could effect us and benefit them over the course of the next few years. On the others side of the coin hopefully our positive background will lure in even better individual scouts who up to now haven't been at a setup where they have more free reign like they will at saints.

It worries me more that this guy knows all of our key staff, most successful scouts etc. If spurs want to chuck obscene money at people and Mitchell tells them who to go after they can now pick us apart. Say 3 of our most distinguished youth scouts, 3 of our best pro scouts. Not to mention replicating our systems and setup. It wouldn't be an overnight thing for spurs but it could effect us and benefit them over the course of the next few years. On the others side of the coin hopefully our positive background will lure in even better individual scouts who up to now haven't been at a setup where they have more free reign like they will at saints.

Well to answer the bit about youth scouts we have an army of them so wouldn't lose too much sleep, London clubs youth academies are a mare at the top level like Chelsea, Spurs etc many are a numbers game and shift them off with no thought. I have seen quite a number of young lads play for several different teams in a season..we have even recruited a fare number...we even have a London academy so Spurs don't worry me on that score at all.

Agreed he will have details of our set up and how we do it but we let go Dodd, Williams and Murty last season and not doing too bad this year with their replacements. I am sure we could build in a clause somewhere about his activity in a certain area.....if possible.

The guy came from MK Dons so am sure there are plenty of highly qualified people to replace him.

Edited by Give it to Ron

Could you let the rest of us know what the pecking order is, and what the criteria are that clubs are judged on please?

Every individual has different priorities - for some it's the money, for others it might be promotion, for some it might be location, and for many it'll be the combination of all these and more besides. Trying to pin Mitchells departure on any one thing, especially something so arbitrary as 'the football pecking order' is pointless, and your speculation only reflects your personal view. I can see why you might think it, but we just don't know.

Personally I'm not worried at all. Spurs are trying to buy and poach success, but like any company, until the people at the top change the culture of the whole place, then they won't get far. As we heard recently, Markus brought (not bought) a whole philosophy and culture to the club which has gradually been embedded within everything that happens. That takes time, and can't just be replicated. Just as our team on the pitch is far greater than the sum of its parts, it's the same behind the scenes it seems. Mitchell did a great job, we should be very grateful, but this gives others an opportunity to bring something new and move us on.

Levy needs to change himself before he changes anything else for Spurs to improve.

Spot on Minty. As you say the culture comes from the top, and in that regard I would argue that we have a better culture than Spurs, Everton, Liverpool and probably these days Manchester United. Manchester City and Chelsea are changing their cultures to a more long term sustainable one. I sense Arsenal need to rediscover their culture which seems to have morphed into the cult of one man, albeit a better one man than Levy is.

I would have thought that these days we will attract high quality back room staff because of the culture and the facilities we have.

Will he be able to have carte blanche to do that at Spurs considering the personnel they currently have (Baldini for one)? Lets not forget the cultural aspects we have at the club seems to be all encompassing, it needs leadership and management to be committed to it to become reality. He may tick all the boxes of what they want to do but is he suitable for the role and club.

Spurs infra structure is pretty under staffed by some accounts. So if this is true I guess this is the start of an attempt by Levy to re-build the infra structure so I wouldn't be at all surprised if he just tried nicking all our talent clearly he is a massive fan of what saints have achieved.

http://talksport.com/football/exclusive-tottenhams-scouting-network-joke-around-world-claims-comolli-141110123688

“From the outside, what I can tell you is that among the top 20 clubs in the world, in terms of wealth, Spurs are the only ones who haven’t got a scouting network.

“They are clearly understaffed in this aspect. It has become a kind of joke in the scouting community. They say, ‘have you seen a Spurs scout?’ You don’t see them. I don’t think they’ve got any.

“[When I was at Tottenham] we had 12 full-time scouts. We had a great scouting staff. The scout we had in Italy at the time is now the sporting director at Sampdoria after being sporting director at Monaco. The one we had in Spain is now head of recruitment for a big club in Spain. The one we had in Argentina is now head of recruitment for a club in Italy, so we had a strong scouting network which allowed us to sign all those players. Now it doesn’t seem to be the case."

And their problems don't end there, according to Comolli: “They have this fantastic [training] facility that Daniel Levy and I fought very hard to build but they need some brain power in there.

“If you look at the top clubs in the Premier League, all of them have got five fitness coaches and five physiotherapists just for the first-team but I don’t think Spurs have got anywhere near that at the moment.

“There is a lot to be done to address this situation.”

Edited by doddisalegend

If he has been brought in to do the Les Reed job, you can understand.

If he has been paid a stack load of cash, you can understand.

If he still has family / roots near MK, you can understand.

If he has signed up to do the same job he has done at Saints with trigger happy Levy, a baying public, a scouting network that the Skates would laugh at then it utterly baffles me.