CONFIRMED - Mane joins Liverpool for £34m + £2m addons

toe_punt

Is that what your psychoanalyst told you under therapy or did you arrive at that staggering conclusion virtue of your own devices? You see the only thing relevant to this debate that is happening over and over again is the Saints losing their best players and that is all down to the money - end of.

So then are we to deduce from what you have offered here you are seeing the same thing over and over again but this time you are expecting a different result?:rolleyes:

The quote is a famous one often attributed to Einstein (but there is debate on who said it). It means that if you have desire to progress from suffering the same result over and over gain, you have to change what you are doing. It would be lazy, simple minded and unambitious to blame 'the money' and accept that where we are is we will stay as a fact. If we want to attempt to end the seasonal 'meltdown' headlines and the feeding frenzy of selling players, and the reign of 'history' clubs then simply we do not sell to them when we have a choice in the matter, regardless of how much is on the table. Maybe we will also break 'the glass ceiling' as a result and have more weight with getting players to sign. The only thing that is out of our hands is when there is a release clause which is why I have added several times to my posts; the words 'If we have the choice'. I think if we want to continue to progress and strive to a Leicester achievement, it is worth trying a different approach.

but here is another quote from 'my therapist' as you liked the last one;

“The most ignorant of all people is a person who is self assured in his or her premature decisions.”

The quote is a famous one often attributed to Einstein (but there is debate on who said it). It means that if you have desire to progress from suffering the same result over and over gain, you have to change what you are doing. It would be lazy, simple minded and unambitious to blame 'the money' and accept that where we are is we will stay as a fact. If we want to attempt to end the seasonal 'meltdown' headlines and the feeding frenzy of selling players, and the reign of 'history' clubs then simply we do not sell to them when we have a choice in the matter, regardless of how much is on the table. Maybe we will also break 'the glass ceiling' as a result and have more weight with getting players to sign. The only thing that is out of our hands is when there is a release clause which is why I have added several times to my posts; the words 'If we have the choice'. I think if we want to continue to progress and strive to a Leicester achievement, it is worth trying a different approach.

“The most ignorant of all people is a person who is self assured in his or her premature decisions.”

But - aren't we doing the same thing every year? meltdown, sell our best players, lose a manager, throw toys out of pram, bully our players, call our GK league 1, Mane is the new ali dia etc..etc., sell to our rivals (liverpool+spurs+manu), and every year we get a better league position, I think our progression has been pretty good for the last 7 years.

So the sane thing to do is to keep doing the same thing again - this meltdown is an important part of our 5th place finish next year...

But - aren't we doing the same thing every year? meltdown, sell our best players, lose a manager, throw toys out of pram, bully our players, call our GK league 1, Mane is the new ali dia etc..etc., sell to our rivals (liverpool+spurs+manu), and every year we get a better league position, I think our progression has been pretty good for the last 7 years.

So the sane thing to do is to keep doing the same thing again - this meltdown is an important part of our 5th place finish next year...

:D To large extent I agree with you, but confident we could do even better if we were to maybe at least attempt to cut out some of the more negative parts of that cycle where we have the power to do so.

Liverpool Echo is saying the Townsend link is wrong and they are still after Mane.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-fc-no-interest-10m-11502369

Personally I think we should tell them to **** off and only sell at 40m+ to a CL club (or United/Chelsea) which would also exclude Spurs and Leicester (no to Levy, Leicester not big enough pull)

I read he was a United fan as a lad so hopefully he doesn't want to join them (Liverpool) anyway.

Hello MG, so you are under therapy? Thought so. Here's one from my granny attributed to Horatio Nelson and previous to that attributed to Issac Newton, "there is none so blind as those who won't see."

For those who "will" see and /or remove their rose tinted glasses, big, [bigger and biggest money] is the reason that the Saints lose their best players and that will continue to be the case [common to other teams] until The Saints can truly compete, which as long as they continue to lose their best players . . . . . . . .

Hello MG, so you are under therapy? Thought so. Here's one from my granny attributed to Horatio Nelson and previous to that attributed to Issac Newton, "there is none so blind as those who won't see."

For those who "will" see and /or remove their rose tinted glasses, big, [bigger and biggest money] is the reason that the Saints lose their best players and that will continue to be the case [common to other teams] until The Saints can truly compete, which as long as they continue to lose their best players . . . . . . . .

Considering Saints have finished 8th, 7th and 6th in the past three years, I would hazard a guess that Saints are doing a mighty fine job of competing for places that arguably should be well beyond them. I would also suggest that, instead of pointing out Southampton's faults in not keeping their best players whilst they have been consistent in finishing top ten, you should look at how Liverpool still haven't recovered from losing Luis Suarez.

Liverpool Echo is saying the Townsend link is wrong and they are still after Mane.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-fc-no-interest-10m-11502369

From that article:

The Reds boss is keen on securing the services of Southampton's Sadio Mane, who would command a fee of around £30million.

Klopp has been a big admirer of the Senegal international since his time at Red Bull Salzburg. But any progress on that front is unlikely to happen until Saints appoint a new manager.

Better be more than £30m.

From that article:

Better be more than £30m.

Apparently we've valued him at £25 million according to the Express! I hope the club sticks by their £40 million asking price if he goes at all, but of course I'd rather he stayed and signed a new contract! Mané is a key player for us and will be a loss. I thought the same when Lallana left, though fortunately Tadic was a decent replacement.

Sky Sports saying £25m.....and they're closing in on the signing. Can he really have only been valued at that?

It's not just the low amount for a player like him, it's the suggestion that the Club isn't going to fight tooth and nail to keep our most influential attacking player. Hope the story is wrong.

He won't go for £25 million, that's just the press being their usual selves and thinking little ol' Southampton will just bend over and be gracious at whatever fee a mighty club like Liverpool offer us.

It's also a Lallana figure so they are probably just using that as baseline, we sold Lallana for that much to Liverpool so we'll take that for Mane.

talkBalls had Danny Kelly on saying he was likely to be off for £25m and would Saints survive. It seems that he thinks it a fait accomplis presumably as it is Liverpool coming knocking on SFC's door. All this balls about us not surviving selling players. Prosper - that's a more pertinent word. Survive - melodramatic tosh.

Think we're kidding ourselves again if we think he won't go to Liverpool; read the same things on here last year about Clyne. And arguably Liverpool are in a better position that they were then overall. Granted they were in Europe then but still they had a manager with major doubts over him, they'd been trashed 6-1 by Stoke.

Now they have Klopp, a manager who took Dortmund from mid table mediocrity to league champions and a Champions League final. He took Liverpool to two finals with a squad that wasn't his. He's a big name; a bigger name than Koeman, at least as a manager and we've just lost Koeman. Of course Mane is going to want to see how that project goes.

We've lost another manager. Wanyama is gone and you can't rule out a couple players following Koeman to Everton now they've got money to throw about. My money's on van Djik and Tadic tbh. Last time we lost a manager and a few stars we managed a rebuild, will lightning strike three times? I'm not so sure.

As for the price, don't think we'll get £40 but don't think we'll get just £25m either; I seen £25m + Jordan Ibe mooted a few weeks ago; I'd be happy with that. I rate Ibe, lots of potential there just need to be in a system that suits him, don't think that pressing nonsense is for him. In a squad with other young english talent, think he'd flourish.

Sure Wanyama, Mane and whoever else. Anyone who wants out is welcome to go and let the door hit them on the way out. We don't need players who are always looking elsewhere.

Think we're kidding ourselves again if we think he won't go to Liverpool; read the same things on here last year about Clyne. And arguably Liverpool are in a better position that they were then overall. Granted they were in Europe then but still they had a manager with major doubts over him, they'd been trashed 6-1 by Stoke.

Now they have Klopp, a manager who took Dortmund from mid table mediocrity to league champions and a Champions League final. He took Liverpool to two finals with a squad that wasn't his. He's a big name; a bigger name than Koeman, at least as a manager and we've just lost Koeman. Of course Mane is going to want to see how that project goes.

We've lost another manager. Wanyama is gone and you can't rule out a couple players following Koeman to Everton now they've got money to throw about. My money's on van Djik and Tadic tbh. Last time we lost a manager and a few stars we managed a rebuild, will lightning strike three times? I'm not so sure.

As for the price, don't think we'll get £40 but don't think we'll get just £25m either; I seen £25m + Jordan Ibe mooted a few weeks ago; I'd be happy with that. I rate Ibe, lots of potential there just need to be in a system that suits him, don't think that pressing nonsense is for him. In a squad with other young english talent, think he'd flourish.

Sure Wanyama, Mane and whoever else. Anyone who wants out is welcome to go and let the door hit them on the way out. We don't need players who are always looking elsewhere.

Who says Mane wants to leave?, the last interview with him he was talking about building next season IIRC, also both he and Tadic allegedly fell out with Koeman so I suspect any 'wanting out' rumours were more based on that.

If he wants to go, he'll go with the right fee, but I seriously doubt he'll make a fuss about going to Liverpool. A proper good champions league club? yes, Liverpool who are about as likely to get champions league as we are? Nope.

I also seriously doubt unless they off load a few they will be making any £40 million signings, they aren't Man City, their owners aren't there to just throw money around, not after Benteke either.

They need like a whole defence and goalkeeper, whilst they already have Ibe, Lallana, Firminho, Benteke, Sturridge, Coutinho, Origi, Ings, (oh and Balotelli) as players who can play as forwards.

So priority would say they reinforce where they need more quality but Wenger has been ignoring that for years so who knows?

I also seriously doubt any of our players are going on strike to rush over the mid table Everton, I think they will find their £100 million transfer pot doesn't go that far.

Who says Mane wants to leave?, the last interview with him he was talking about building next season IIRC, also both he and Tadic allegedly fell out with Koeman so I suspect any 'wanting out' rumours were more based on that.

If he wants to go, he'll go with the right fee, but I seriously doubt he'll make a fuss about going to Liverpool. A proper good champions league club? yes, Liverpool who are about as likely to get champions league as we are? Nope.

I also seriously doubt unless they off load a few they will be making any £40 million signings, they aren't Man City, their owners aren't there to just throw money around, not after Benteke either.

They need like a whole defence and goalkeeper, whilst they already have Ibe, Lallana, Firminho, Benteke, Sturridge, Coutinho, Origi, Ings, (oh and Balotelli) as players who can play as forwards.

So priority would say they reinforce where they need more quality but Wenger has been ignoring that for years so who knows?

I also seriously doubt any of our players are going on strike to rush over the mid table Everton, I think they will find their £100 million transfer pot doesn't go that far.

Klopp specifically mentioned a winger as a target that will need looking at. SO I'd imagine Mane would be a priority. And again It'll believe £40m when i see it, I think it'll be less.

You talk like Liverpool are poor. Most EPL clubs can now afford a net spend of £50/60m due to the TV deal. Liverpool have a higher revenue than most clubs so could comfortably spend about £80m without bringing a penny in. Then on top of that they have a big squad with plenty of players likely to leave; Skrtel, Allen, Benteke, Markovic, Ibe etc. All adds up. Liverpool could spend well in excess of £100m this summer. So £30/35m for Mane is more than affordable if their manager sees his position as a priority.

Again heard all this about Clyne last summer, we're in denial again. Liverpool are a bigger club than us, with more money, whether they finished 8th or 1st, makes no difference to that. They have a proven European name as a manager, who i building his own project. We once again have no manager.

I hold no malice against Liverpool for coming for our players; if they recognise talent and make a move for it, they're well in their rights,. We can say no but we never do.

As for Everton. £100m and the rest. Stones and Lukaku both being linked with big moves to City and Chelsea. They may well have double that sum to spend this summer. They come knocking with 50m+ for Tadic and van Djik this summer, who are we to say no?

Klopp specifically mentioned a winger as a target that will need looking at. SO I'd imagine Mane would be a priority. And again It'll believe £40m when i see it, I think it'll be less.

You talk like Liverpool are poor. Most EPL clubs can now afford a net spend of £50/60m due to the TV deal. Liverpool have a higher revenue than most clubs so could comfortably spend about £80m without bringing a penny in. Then on top of that they have a big squad with plenty of players likely to leave; Skrtel, Allen, Benteke, Markovic, Ibe etc. All adds up. Liverpool could spend well in excess of £100m this summer. So £30/35m for Mane is more than affordable if their manager sees his position as a priority.

Again heard all this about Clyne last summer, we're in denial again. Liverpool are a bigger club than us, with more money, whether they finished 8th or 1st, makes no difference to that. They have a proven European name as a manager, who i building his own project. We once again have no manager.

I hold no malice against Liverpool for coming for our players; if they recognise talent and make a move for it, they're well in their rights,. We can say no but we never do.

As for Everton. £100m and the rest. Stones and Lukaku both being linked with big moves to City and Chelsea. They may well have double that sum to spend this summer. They come knocking with 50m+ for Tadic and van Djik this summer, who are we to say no?

except when we said no Morgan two summers ago and when we said no to Victor last summer.....

It's Liverpool feeding their story's out that they're going to finally bid £25m for him after weeks of story's in the press...And yeah saints are just going to roll over and accept the first offer. If they do I would be pretty bloody angry to be honest. Sterling cost 55m, if Liverpool want him we should be asking for nearer that.

It's Liverpool feeding their story's out that they're going to finally bid £25m for him after weeks of story's in the press...And yeah saints are just going to roll over and accept the first offer. If they do I would be pretty bloody angry to be honest. Sterling cost 55m, if Liverpool want him we should be asking for nearer that.

Exactly.

And personally I reckon SW members who feel the same should let their feelings known to Les Read

If we take 25m then we definitely know something is up but I can't see it happening we have always been pretty tough in our negotiations so if they want him I expect them to be looking north of 30m 45 is probably a little optimistic given the lack of English player inflation in Mane's case

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/06/23/liverpool-remain-intent-on-30m-deal-for-southamptons-sadio-mane/

Not sure how the profile portion of this article got past the editors, mind. Refers to Mané as an Ivorian and claims Klopp knows him from his time playing in the Bundesliga for Metz, who play in France.

You forgot to mention the Red Star Salzburg bit as well. What a **** amateurish piece.

All the usual Liverpool-centric journo's reporting the same. As I've said before, I'm OK with him going, but:

1) I thought he could do better than Liverpool.

2) I would've wanted at least £35m (when you consider TV money, and they paid out £32.5m to land Benteke!)

Why can't we say, no, Mane is not for sale? What good is 30 million if you end up with two or three replacements who are nowhere near as good as SM? Has he been offered a new deal? Has he said he wants to leave?

It is hard to understand when you look at the Deeny situation!

Why can't we say, no, Mane is not for sale? What good is 30 million if you end up with two or three replacements who are nowhere near as good as SM? Has he been offered a new deal? Has he said he wants to leave?

We did last summer. We've said "no" to two other players the last two summers and they just left a year latter anyway. Hard as it may be to take some players (usually the good ones) see saints as a stepping stone to else where.

But SFC briefed the media (telegraph sam wallace) tha everything was positive and Mane was no for sale unless a stupid offer game along and that clearly is £35M+

Liverpool yet again are using the media to unsettle our player and so that means more should be added and upfront its £33m at least.