CONFIRMED - Mane joins Liverpool for £34m + £2m addons

toe_punt

I hope the new manager has a decent kitty to bring in players,as without Mane,Schlong is the only one with pace , J-rod & Austin have a hamstring between them and Pelle can be more static than a caravan

Maybe Puel is the only mug that would accept players being sold whenever and will be Reeds yes man.

I hope I am wrong though

Hi, forum newbie here. Ive been following saints for 25 years now and i can quite honestly say the following:

This is the best period of success we have had in my time as a fan.

Reed and leihberr are the only constants during the last 5 years

We all knew deep down mane and vic and maybe even pelle would be off this summer.

We have always replaced well, every move is carried out with careful consideration for the best of the club. Would you all rather we throw money around on a team of osvaldos??

I thought he would leave and it'd be a very slim chance that he'd stay. Just disappointed he hasn't gone for more as I think he could go on to be one of the best players in this league/ the world. Hopefully he doesn't but in today's market would of liked us to of stuck to our guns at 40m till later on in the window.

32 million? Wow. Ok, selling your best players isn't a great thing to do but everyone has a price. If we can reinvest the money wisely it's a bargain. No doubt people will whinge about it and also selling Vic, and Redmond isn't good good enough and Who is Puel? That's much more fun than looking forward to the future and supporting your team.

Yes it's a disappointment he's going to Liverpool of all clubs, but this is football and what happens to a club in our position. We've enjoyed our time with Mané, now let's get excited on who we are going to replace him with!

Genuinely don't get this attitude. I wonder if fans of clubs like Porto, Dortmund, Sevilla, Ajax (the list goes on) always trot this out when the club continually sells players?

We support and watch Saints because we love the club. Aside from ourselves, everyone else is just passing through.

Enjoy the ride, there's been so many reasons to so far.

This is a brilliant post. People should print this out and put it on their wall or something.

As a group of fans, we seem to get so emotionally attached to players,and I'm not excluding myself from this. I think it comes from our time in the lower leagues, where we had a core group of players who achieved so much together and created so many memories for themselves and for us as fans. The togetherness they had was unrivalled and we all felt an affinity with them that we had never before had with footballers.

But life in the PL isn't like that. We need to accept that players will come and go, and be proud of the improvement and development they undergo while they're here. Athletico Madrid are another club who sell a lot of players, and I remember Simeone saying that Costa would go to Chelsea with his blessing and that, "players come and we make them better" (not sure of the exact quote).

We also need to stop being embarrassed by it. Atleti, Ajax... All the clubs St. Armstrong mentioned - they're lauded and admired for their ability to maintain the cycle of finding players, developing players, selling players for a profit (and repeat), whereas Saints seem to be patronised for it.

It's always gutting when a player wants to leave our club, because we love the club and everyone of us has dreamed of wearing that shirt and we want players who feel the same. However those players are rare these days, we just happened to be spoiled to have a few when in L1/NPC. So just continue to love the club. Trust in what the club is doing, and crucially in what it has proved it is adept at doing. And keep reminding yourself that the club is bigger than any player.

Losing Mané is a blow, but we picked him up from a random Austrian team. There'll be other gems out there to replace him.

Wish he wasn't going to ****ing Liverpool though

This has been on the cards for ages so I don't know why people are acting all surprised and shocked. His great end to the season also did a good job of covering up the abject middle of the season. We could have kept him one more season but would have lost him around Christmas for the AFCON anyway and sold him for a fraction of what we got now in a years time....because he didn't want to stay. As long as the money from the sale is put back into the team I'll cope with it.

Unless we already have replaced him with Redmond. Which would be the opposite of something to get excited about.

Yes that would be an anti-climax, but I can not see that the club are thinking that Redmond is the Mané replacement. We are much more clever than that.

Yes that would be an anti-climax, but I can not see that the club are thinking that Redmond is the Mané replacement. We are much more clever than that.

Much cleverer because Morgan was replaced by? And clyne by? Wanyama by?

This is crunch time..there is no RK and no Mitchell, to steer them so we will see if our plan is as good as we all hope it is!

Can't complain with the price. It's the same as Arsenal paid for Alexis Sanchez a couple years ago to put it in perspective. If we held on to him we'd be forced to sell next season for £15m. Other positive is the business is done early in the window so now we have 2 months to find the replacements for Vic&Mane. New manager will have some cash to bring in players he likes.

This is a brilliant post. People should print this out and put it on their wall or something.

As a group of fans, we seem to get so emotionally attached to players,and I'm not excluding myself from this. I think it comes from our time in the lower leagues, where we had a core group of players who achieved so much together and created so many memories for themselves and for us as fans. The togetherness they had was unrivalled and we all felt an affinity with them that we had never before had with footballers.

But life in the PL isn't like that. We need to accept that players will come and go, and be proud of the improvement and development they undergo while they're here. Athletico Madrid are another club who sell a lot of players, and I remember Simeone saying that Costa would go to Chelsea with his blessing and that, "players come and we make them better" (not sure of the exact quote).

We also need to stop being embarrassed by it. Atleti, Ajax... All the clubs St. Armstrong mentioned - they're lauded and admired for their ability to maintain the cycle of finding players, developing players, selling players for a profit (and repeat), whereas Saints seem to be patronised for it.

It's always gutting when a player wants to leave our club, because we love the club and everyone of us has dreamed of wearing that shirt and we want players who feel the same. However those players are rare these days, we just happened to be spoiled to have a few when in L1/NPC. So just continue to love the club. Trust in what the club is doing, and crucially in what it has proved it is adept at doing. And keep reminding yourself that the club is bigger than any player.

Losing Mané is a blow, but we picked him up from a random Austrian team. There'll be other gems out there to replace him.

Yours is also a decent post!

The sooner people "get it" the sooner they can enjoy supporting this fantastic club of ours!

I think this is great deal if the price is around 30-35m. People will always moan about the price and if we sold him for 50m some would say we should of got 60m!

Our club id not "lucky" in its success it is based on sound business model. Buy young, improve them, improve club, sell at profit and repeat. Expecting any player to spend more than 3-4 years max at any one club is rare unless you are Real Madrid or Barcelona etc. We are not and never will be.

I'm proud of how our club operates and am looking forward to a great summer of recruitment and an exciting season in Europe!

Genuinely don't get this attitude. I wonder if fans of clubs like Porto, Dortmund, Sevilla, Ajax (the list goes on) always trot this out when the club continually sells players?

We support and watch Saints because we love the club. Aside from ourselves, everyone else is just passing through.

Enjoy the ride, there's been so many reasons to so far.

Agree with the sentiment but Porto, Dortmund, Sevilla, Ajax are always guaranteed top tier football and are some of the biggest in their league.

Yes we finished 6th last season but we are as close to relegation as we are to top 4 if the signings go all wrong.

With clubs like Dortmund in particular they attract a higher calibre of players anyway, and Ajax/Porto are the biggest in their country. We are in a very very competitive league with fine margins.

I am gutted to lose him but I trust the board to replace, although I am worried it will all go wrong. This is one of the reasons why I wanted Pellegrini, we could have lost Mane, VVD, Forster, but with him at the helm I would have found comfort that we would still be a Prem team every year. Puel just sounds uninspiring despite his very good record in France.

Oh well, we march on!

The difference is that those teams still manage to win things every now and then despite selling their best players whereas for Saints it is stopping us from winning anything.

The difference is that those teams still manage to win things every now and then despite selling their best players whereas for Saints it is stopping us from winning anything.

Really? There's no reason we can't win a cup, worse teams have done it. It's nothing to do with recruitment and everything to do with performances.

Mauricio disregarded the cups, Koeman tried and failed.

I thought what was stopping us was turning in displays like the 6-1 against Liverpool, a team we then came from two goals down to beat 3-2 with 26 minutes left to play.

Our squad last season was strong enough to win a cup or make a cup final.

It is stopping us from winning things when you look at it in terms of the personnel we have sold on paper, but the reality is we didn't win anything with Poch's squad, and we now have a better squad but we wouldn't have had that if we hadn't made the sales we did in that famous summer, because we can't afford to have all these great players at the same time. Our strength in depth is fantastic, a world away from what it was in 13/14, where we had Lambert, Rodriguez (eventually long term injured) and Gallagher as front men, whereas we ended last season with Pelle, Mane, Long, Austin, Rodriguez, Juanmi all as options. Our sales have improved us vastly thus far, we're never going to get everything right but so far our hit rate is pretty impressive.

It is stopping us from winning things when you look at it in terms of the personnel we have sold on paper, but the reality is we didn't win anything with Poch's squad, and we now have a better squad but we wouldn't have had that if we hadn't made the sales we did in that famous summer, because we can't afford to have all these great players at the same time. Our strength in depth is fantastic, a world away from what it was in 13/14, where we had Lambert, Rodriguez (eventually long term injured) and Gallagher as front men, whereas we ended last season with Pelle, Mane, Long, Austin, Rodriguez, Juanmi all as options. Our sales have improved us vastly thus far, we're never going to get everything right but so far our hit rate is pretty impressive.

With the mega-millions that we receive each season from the TV rights, etc. surely we CAN afford MUCH more? I think the frustration for me is that we sell these players for big money, replace them with cheaper alternatives and the profit gained does not seem to be ploughed back into the club. Consequently, we limit our potential to develop as a squad/team to the stage where we actually win something.

Having said all this, I fully accept that £32m is a huge amount to turn down for a player who wants to move to one of the so-called 'big clubs', especially as when these players move to these clubs they rarely manage to replicate their form for Saints at those other clubs (with the exception of Gareth Bale). Yet, if Liverpool were offering £30m and we wanted £40m I don't understand why we haven't strung it out to get more. Does this suggest that we too easily let Liverpool call our bluff by saying they will rescind their offer if we won't come close to their estimation?

And what about other clubs? Weren't Man Utd inteersted too? Couldn't we have drawn them into a bidding war to force the price even higher?

It would be great, though, if one day we could become a club that doesn't sell and that can afford the mega-bucks that clubs like Liverpool, Arsenal, Man Utd, Man City, Spurs, Chelsea... and even West Ham... are prepared to pay. It is in this last area that I pin my hopes...

* Maybe the club is building up enough money to build a mega-ground where extra funds can be received from an enlarged fan-base.

* Maybe the club is building up the resource to be an even better developer of young players making further profitablity towards future success.

* Maybe the club is seeking to accumulate enough resources to one day suddenly transform into a huge club which truly is able to compete with the other big clubs - not just in the short term, but in the long term.

Or... on a more pessimistic note..

* Maybe the club has accumulated huge debts from the development of Staplewood and needs to clear those debts before we can begin to build a sustainable future for the club.

I just hope that we have not become just a money-making enterprise for Katharina Liebherr - seeking moderate success in return for financial profitability rather than investing heavily in the club in the pursuit of real, meaningful trophy-winning success.

32m is a good price for him, wasn't amazing last season but had a few good spells. Tricky to play against and good against an opposition that pushed high up the pitch.

Will miss him as a Saints player but as long as the money comes back as investment into capable players for our first XI I wouldn't mind.

Nobody on here knows the full facts . What will his state of mind be if we deny him this move . Will he disrupt the spirit of the club . Reed is in full possession of the facts and has decided to let him go .

What more has les Reed got to do to prove himself to some of you clowns ? If we finish 5th next season and RB or VvD want out some of you lot will still be wetting the bed and claiming Reeds not good enough . So come on moaners , what does Reed need to do to win you over , buy Messi? The day Les Reed walked into this club every single one of you would have taken what's happened to this club since . Not one person would have said failure would be finishing 6th after 6 years of constant improvement . Les Reed has been a constant at this club in a fantastic spell and therefore his opinion of when to sell and for what is good enough for me .

My source tells me that the price breakdown is: £20m for Mané (because he is inconsistent) and£12m for the rights to sing the chant "girls don't like boys girls like cars and Mané"

Good business IMO, buy three more like him with the money and let's see what we turn up next season. We'll beat the scousers.

My source tells me that the price breakdown is: £20m for Mané (because he is inconsistent) and£12m for the rights to sing the chant "girls don't like boys girls like cars and Mané"

Good business IMO, buy three more like him with the money and let's see what we turn up next season. We'll beat the scousers.

Lol if it is so easy to buy them why don't Stoke buy them? And no we won't finish above Liverpool next year..never in a million years.

sigh

another season with a big positive net spend then. Surprised we don't have song for that

could be as grand as Reading's 106 song :lol:

as we moved up the league, it seemed we would only lose players and staff to champions league sides

appears not to be the case.

again, no other club loses 1st team players and staff like we do. Just does not happen

Bertrand is at risk of going, Liverpool very much want him too

ah well

Edited by Batman

What is it that people don't get? We have chosen a path of sustainable growth. We have the stability of a billionaire owner, but the club must pay its own way. We can afford to buy £30m players, but we can buy for £10m and sell for £30m, and re-invest the proceeds in further development. The squad continues to develop, the club continues to grow, both on and off the pitch. Our profile now, globally, is higher than it's ever been, but we can't yet compete with the likes of Liverpool.

Some may not like it, but patience and sustainable growth are our watchwords. Not as exciting as some would like, but it means we should never suffer the ignominy of plummeting to L1 (or God forbid, L2) again.

The sale of Mané follows the path and strategy previously set out. It should be no surprise, particularly where it is apparent that the player doesn't see his future here.

#WeMeltOn

I just hope that we have not become just a money-making enterprise for Katharina Liebherr - seeking moderate success in return for financial profitability rather than investing heavily in the club in the pursuit of real, meaningful trophy-winning success.

Are you serious? There are a fair number of owners of Premier League clubs who see their clubs as money making machines, I think it is fair to say that Ms Liebherr is not one of those.

Have a chat with a few Swansea fans and ask what they think the motives of their new owners are. We are extremely lucky with our ownership.

I suppose it's better than being a club that spends a fortune every summer and yet still under achieves and wins nothing.

I'm consistently impressed with what Southampton achieve within their model. I'd be constantly f*cked off if I was Newcastle or Liverpool fan in recent years

sigh

another season with a big positive net spend then. Surprised we don't have song for that

could be as grand as Reading's 106 song :lol:

as we moved up the league, it seemed we would only lose players and staff to champions league sides

appears not to be the case.

again, no other club loses 1st team players and staff like we do. Just does not happen

Bertrand is at risk of going, Liverpool very much want him too

ah well

Seems they want Chilwell from Leicester, whether that means Bertrand too who knows.

I suppose it's better than being a club that spends a fortune every summer and yet still under achieves and wins nothing.

I'm consistently impressed with what Southampton achieve within their model. I'd be constantly f*cked off if I was Newcastle or Liverpool fan in recent years

what the hell?

What is it that people don't get? We have chosen a path of sustainable growth. We have the stability of a billionaire owner, but the club must pay its own way. We can afford to buy £30m players, but we can buy for £10m and sell for £30m, and re-invest the proceeds in further development. The squad continues to develop, the club continues to grow, both on and off the pitch. Our profile now, globally, is higher than it's ever been, but we can't yet compete with the likes of Liverpool.

Some may not like it, but patience and sustainable growth are our watchwords. Not as exciting as some would like, but it means we should never suffer the ignominy of plummeting to L1 (or God forbid, L2) again.

The sale of Mané follows the path and strategy previously set out. It should be no surprise, particularly where it is apparent that the player doesn't see his future here.

#WeMeltOn

That sort of rationality won't fly here mate.