CONFIRMED - Mane joins Liverpool for £34m + £2m addons

toe_punt

Without knowing the full story, selling our best attacking player to Pool just seems crazy to me. What is the 30 mill going to buy us? This leaves us with VVD as the last highly saleable asset, perhaps Bertrand as well. What then? It just looks like a cave-in economic decision at a time when we don't even have a Manager. At this rate we're going to look more like West Brom and Crystal Palace than a top 6-8 side.

Didn't everyone say that last year? I imagine those clubs wish they had the season we just had!

In this crazy world of inflated fees we should be getting more than £30m. To sell 5th key player to same team in last two years is quite frankly embarrassing. Don't have issue with selling players to elite clubs for inflated fees but we just seem to bend over for Liverpool.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

It was always going to be thus. The only people who think SFC have any relevance or right to be anywhere near the top table are us. Get used to it. Hope VvD and FF are Saints players come 1st Sept, but not holding my breath. Not the club's fault, mainly agents looking for a payday. Everton wanted Koeman, they got him. On GOT they stated that if they wanted him they would get him and they were right. Liverpool fans at work told me Mane was signing for £30 million next week, they were right. frustrating as it is we will never compete. My advice, enjoy Saints for what they are, not what they can never be.

After saying the potential appointment of Puel has left me feeling a bit flat this has not helped. I want to be able to at least hope that if anyone is any good we could at least try and hold onto them. Losing players and staff to Everton and Liverpool is not what I thought would happen, Chelsea, Utd, City ,Arsenal fair enough, we've obviously not progressed as far as I'd thought.

Mane is light years ahead of Redmond.

It was always going to be thus. The only people who think SFC have any relevance or right to be anywhere near the top table are us. Get used to it. Hope VvD and FF are Saints players come 1st Sept, but not holding my breath. Not the club's fault, mainly agents looking for a payday. Everton wanted Koeman, they got him. On GOT they stated that if they wanted him they would get him and they were right. Liverpool fans at work told me Mane was signing for £30 million next week, they were right. frustrating as it is we will never compete. My advice, enjoy Saints for what they are, not what they can never be.

Agree. Frustrating but we need to get our scouting right.

Also- Mane has sold his career IMO. He won't win trophies at Liverpool- guess he is getting more money.

Cool. Bank the money, back the manager and we go again. Looking forward to seeing who else we can unearth.

Loads to be excited about this season.

Now I like to think of myself as pragmatic. So yes, bank the money and back the manager. But if the club is continually going to ask me to spend £744 for a season ticket yet cashes in on the best assets, then there is a certain disconnect that is getting increasingly difficult to justify.

After saying the potential appointment of Puel has left me feeling a bit flat this has not helped. I want to be able to at least hope that if anyone is any good we could at least try and hold onto them. Losing players and staff to Everton and Liverpool is not what I thought would happen, Chelsea, Utd, City ,Arsenal fair enough, we've obviously not progressed as far as I'd thought.

Mane is light years ahead of Redmond.

It was only 18 months ago he was the worst player since Ali Dia who should f*ck off back where he came from if those on here are to be believed!

Now I like to think of myself as pragmatic. So yes, bank the money and back the manager. But if the club is continually going to ask me to spend £744 for a season ticket yet cashes in on the best assets, then there is a certain disconnect that is getting increasingly difficult to justify.

Genuinely don't get this attitude. I wonder if fans of clubs like Porto, Dortmund, Sevilla, Ajax (the list goes on) always trot this out when the club continually sells players?

We support and watch Saints because we love the club. Aside from ourselves, everyone else is just passing through.

Enjoy the ride, there's been so many reasons to so far.

If Saints don't win the league someone should tie Reed/Kat/Ralph/Puel/Whoever to the back of the next space shuttle and let rip.

As far as I'm concerned we're here to win the league, not make up the numbers.

If Reed doesn't get that he can **** off.

Agree. Frustrating but we need to get our scouting right.

Also- Mane has sold his career IMO. He won't win trophies at Liverpool- guess he is getting more money.

He have more chance than at our club with no manager and selling its best players every year!

He have more chance than at our club with no manager and selling its best players every year!

Haven't you figured it yet, it's not the trophies, it's not the European football, it's not the "big" club - it's the money!!!

Blatantly so!

Genuinely don't get this attitude. I wonder if fans of clubs like Porto, Dortmund, Sevilla, Ajax (the list goes on) always trot this out when the club continually sells players?

We support and watch Saints because we love the club. Aside from ourselves, everyone else is just passing through.

Enjoy the ride, there's been so many reasons to so far.

I really don't care what the supporters of Porto et al feel like.

Would you not like Saints to keep some of the better players without selling them all on? As I said, I am a customer of SFC, which is expensive even in the day of increasing revenues so selling off the best players to replace with inferior players isn't the most enticing way to get me to part with my money. I guess we should be grateful that we have Europa League this season. But hey, maybe you and I see football differently. I hate it and am looking for an excuse to give it up - the pull of SFC still wins, but only just.

I really don't care what the supporters of Porto et al feel like.

Would you not like Saints to keep some of the better players without selling them all on? As I said, I am a customer of SFC, which is expensive even in the day of increasing revenues so selling off the best players to replace with inferior players isn't the most enticing way to get me to part with my money. I guess we should be grateful that we have Europa League this season. But hey, maybe you and I see football differently. I hate it and am looking for an excuse to give it up - the pull of SFC still wins, but only just.

To be honest, I'm not arsed. If they don't want to stay anymore and their heart isn't in it, they can go, we can bank the money and give someone else a break. And the club keeps ticking on and improving.

I don't get attached to players - Rickie, Jose aside - and so long as what happens turns into a positive for Saints then I won't care.

So, just to recap. We're sold the guy who protects our back four and now we've sold the one that gives an unpredictable edge and pace up front. Oh, and the manager. I pity Puel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As much as I love the Saints I cannot see why any player would view us as anything other than a stepping stone.

If I was FF VVD Tadic or Bertrand I would be planning my next move as well. Maybe not for this summer but in the next year or so. Players want to win things and if the opportunity to go to a club who actually might win something then they have to take it?

Of course a bit of extra cash would be nice too..

If we have sold for £30m then it's going to be one of our transfers which I'm *really* annoyed about (unless he has a release clause, obviously). As Dig Dig has mentioned, it's *so* early in the window, and he clearly has many admirers. I can stomach selling to Liverpool (again), but not if we're not getting an inflated price (which even then would be somewhat 'wasted' unless the replacement's fee and wages are already lined up). Who's sanctioning the deals in these/this situation? Ralf? Les? If it is Les (it's probably a combination), and as much as I value his contribution, I'd like to see one of his typically optimistic interviews now, see how he explains all of this.

I simply don't understand why the club, wanting £40, and having been offered £30m, wouldn't demand that the fee be settled at £35m. How the *Hell* did we end up climbing down? (if we did)

To be honest, I'm not arsed. If they don't want to stay anymore and their heart isn't in it, they can go, we can bank the money and give someone else a break. And the club keeps ticking on and improving.

I don't get attached to players - Rickie, Jose aside - and so long as what happens turns into a positive for Saints then I won't care.

I don't really care about the transfer fee we get. It's not my money. I don't really care if our best players see out their contracts and go on a free - it's not my money. Yes, I know that that is bad governance and in the long run is unsustainable (and yes, I know that I said I was pragmatic - I lied :) in this instance any way).

Actually, I have no problem with players going, it is more the fact that other clubs come and think that they can have free reign over us and our players regardless of fee. I realise that that is somewhat contradictory but I am being a football fan at the moment. Tomorrow will be another day, and no doubt I will view things differently.

Sales like this make your middle sentence, "And the Club keeps improving" very debatable. As for Mane's exit turning into a positive for Saints - that remains to be seen as well. Some are mentioning that he was offered an improved contract and refused it - if this was true, you can understand if not like the Board (Reed's) decision; if it isn't the case then it just looks like a book balancing exercise and a further weakening of the team.

It's a bit annoying that we're strengthening a direct rival to European football but by all accounts, Liverpool were the only ones willing to put a firm offer on the table and the club doesn't want to be shafted next summer when he only has a year left on his contract.

Just goes to show that we are a well run club that won't want to lose out on profit. That's just the way it is and the way it will always be unless some Arab prince buys us out.

I'm happy as we are thanks.

more likely to win them there than at saints to be fair.

Yes but I think if the lad kept his head down, he could progress to Bayern Munich, and he is much likelier to win a trophy if he went to United than Liverpool.

But tbh I think Liverpool only one showing interest, and we have decided to bank the £30 odd mill then lose him for £15m next summer

If it wasn't Liverpool and it was United, Arsenal, Chelsea, City, Bayern, Barcelona or Real Madrid...I wouldn't be so disappointed, but Liverpool, we're selling to them again!? Without pulling their pants down this time, Really?

They haven't even got European football this time :rolleyes:

It's a joke that has got very old now

If it wasn't Liverpool and it was United, Arsenal, Chelsea, City, Bayern, Barcelona or Real Madrid...I wouldn't be so disappointed, but Liverpool, we're selling to them again!? Without pulling their pants down this time, Really?

They haven't even got European football this time :rolleyes:

It's a joke that has got very old now

If we sell FF and VVD to West Ham we can ensure we strengthen all our rivals!

It's 2014 all over again - sell a bunch of players whilst there is no manager to say no. Except this time do we have a big name coming in to stop the rot? One thing I have learnt in the last 3 years is not to believe a word that comes out of the club or Reed in particular. In fact the more they say things the more likely it is the opposite will happen. So, now we are selling players with 2 years left on contracts so cannot even use the normal excuse about letting them go for free in a year. It is all getting so tiresome and tedious. We are so we sell.

Mane and Wanyama gone... just like everyone expected for months already. No reason to act all surprised and upset now. Still a full summer to go to find replacements.

Not much reaction to wanyama was there? If he went I think we all thought mane would go to a big club..to sell him to Liverpool just says we are planning to have normal order resumed and finish behind them next year.

Pathetic, bedwetting muppets!

This is our business model and it works well - and we continue to improve. We could offer Mane 200K per week but if he won't sign then it makes no difference.

I am sure that the club already has replacements lined up and our squad will continue to get stronger.

Liverpool are a way bigger, global club than us. Its the way of the world.

If you';re not happy with our progression p**s off and support a 'big' club.

Guan said ages ago that both mane and Wanyama were gone.....so why surprised now?