CONFIRMED - Mane joins Liverpool for £34m + £2m addons

toe_punt

The thread title needs changing based on this Telegraph article.

£34.5m upfront & potentially could rise to £38.5mdepending on how well Liverpool do...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/06/27/liverpool-could-end-up-paying-385m-for-sadio-mane/

Yes, but the important bit is 'depending on how well Liverpool do', which means it will just be the £34.5M ;)

Definately not a good policy. But I think the club have started to get wiser with getting the players to pen longer deals. The issues we faced on Wanyama and to an extent Mane were around the length of their deal. Worth pointing out Pelle (1 Year) and Tadic (2 Years) left are in a similar, if less valuable boat.

We've also learnt to get our outs done quickly so we can concentrate on the new season with a new manager. We lost 3 last year in Clyne, Morgan and Toby (counting him), if we limit it to that this year we are in great shape to improve again.

You make an excellent point, and one that I hadn't considered.

We got more for him than Dortmund did for gundogan or mikhitaryan and they're a class above mane, as long as we get a young, fast, unpredictable forward for next season then its all good, there are some fantastic players in league 1 these days.(the french league 1).

Also a bit more proficiency infront of goal would be nice aswell.

Like......but you're wasting your time VFTT. This board seems to be populated by absolute morons of the highest order. Wah, wah, wah....not fair. Not even going to a big club (Liverpool!!!). wah wah wah. Pathetic little babies

From the poster who, more than anyone, soiled the bed over the Xmas break, convinced we were sleepwalking into a relegation battle :lol:

If you weren't such a whopper, you might even chuckle at the irony.

Edited by shurlock

Liverpool have made an up-front payment of £34.5 million to Southampton, just £500,000 short of the fee paid to Newcastle United in January 2011 for the striker Andy Carroll, still the club’s record signing.

That figure will rise to between £36 million and £38.5 million depending on Mane’s appearances and Liverpool’s success this season in qualifying for the Champions League and how far they get in the competition the following season, 2017-2018.

Not bad if true Les, not bad.

Now lets get in his replacement and some more talent for a 3rd of the price. :D

What did I tell you. The transfer fees bandied about in the press are never the actual sums. I don't think that we're the only club that allows inflated outgoing figures to go unchecked anyway. The clubs like to see the sale price blown up, that way the fans think they've got a good deal at least. It will all show up in the accounts next March but few will remember by then.

Liverpool end will play down figure because close to what they paid for Carroll - Saints end will push up because want to make it look a good deal for a popular player leaving.

But WC, it works the other way too. LFC aren't going to say that they have paid £34.5m upfront with a potential to rise to £38.5m

Which is exactly as I said, one inflates, the other deflates. The real price is probably about the 37 million euros that the African papers (well Senagalese anyway) were insisting to be the buy out clause for Sadio Mané. That's about 30 million quid or just over on today's rate. It would have been a sterling amount though so 30 million may be about right.

What is of more concern to me is how much we have to give Red Bull Salzburg and even Metz. Metz are a bit sly about things like transferring their academy product, they usually end up with a little something at every move of their former trainees.

Good deal in my book. Crazy money for a player who went missing mid-season. On his day he's unplayable but he's still very raw. I'm not sure we'd ever get more for him than almost 35 million up front.

Only slight disappointment is that we haven't even announced a new manager and we've already sold two players!

I'm happier with the price at £36m. (Puts him above Benteke & Carroll which didn't sit well with me).

I'll miss him. He provided pretty much every I hoped he would when Sky Sports 1st announced he was close to signing him 2 years ago.

Hopefully we can use the money wisely. Don't forget, Morgan left for £25m and we got Clasie / Romeu / Van Dijk deals financed from it.

That list on Wikipedia lists Morgan's sale price at £29.1m!

If everything is not acceptable at the club why do you bother with it, why not go to one of the playground bullies :rolleyes:

Sometimes in the past I've wished it was that easy, unfortunately being a Saints fan is part of my DNA. However, your post is just plain antagonistic and predictable with little thought.

I question and debate some of the recent decisions (trying to be reasonable in assessment unlike others) purely because I do care and I have been 'with' Saints FC a lot longer than the management team making the current public faux pas'. Consequently my concern, whilst acknowledging its bloody lovely to be up the top end of the table, is that whatever they do to the Saints FC image and branding we the fans will have to live with it once this management and playing team has moved on and image and public opinion will last a lot longer into the future. We are still considered relegation minnows and candidates by many older fans because of how our image and branding was affected in the 90's. Not having the luxury of being able to change that in the past, now we are in a luxurious position of having one of the wealthiest owners at the club and making profits and playing good football, i'd like to see us start thinking about the long term image and branding of our club as that will lead to more fans, more revenue, more tv sales and then a bigger stadium and us being more competitive financially and attracting better players. It starts with how people see and respect a club. Playing into the press image of us being a car boot sale with no power to keep hold of our players and managers and 'apparently' being bullied by players and the likes of spurs and liverpool into sales and losing out on transfer choices is going to be very detrimental to us in terms of winning fans from the younger generations and adding international fans to our club. Youths who are our target for growing the fan base will not want to be associated with a club that is the victim and others pick on, it is human nature. Unfortunately this will also apply to players when weighing up a transfer move, except they would use the word 'unfashionable' when picking between the current Saints image and say the currently portrayed image of say 'upwardly mobile, ambitious' West Ham over us.

Edited by Mallagroth

Good deal in my book. Crazy money for a player who went missing mid-season. On his day he's unplayable but he's still very raw. I'm not sure we'd ever get more for him than almost 35 million up front.

Only slight disappointment is that we haven't even announced a new manager and we've already sold two players!

The best of him is yet to come. Like Bale, he'll be worth double that when Real Madrid come calling.

Sometimes in the past I've wished it was that easy, unfortunately being a Saints fan is part of my DNA. However, your post is just plain antagonistic and predictable with little thought.

I question and debate some of the recent decisions (trying to be reasonable in assessment unlike others) purely because I do care and I have been 'with' Saints FC a lot longer than the management team making the current public faux pas'. Consequently my concern, whilst acknowledging its bloody lovely to be up the top end of the table, is that whatever they do to the Saints FC image and branding we the fans will have to live with it once this management and playing team has moved on and image and public opinion will last a lot longer into the future. We are still considered relegation minnows and candidates by many older fans because of how our image and branding was affected in the 90's. Not having the luxury of being able to change that in the past, now we are in a luxurious position of having one of the wealthiest owners at the club and making profits and playing good football, i'd like to see us start thinking about the long term image and branding of our club as that will lead to more fans, more revenue, more tv sales and then a bigger stadium and us being more competitive financially and attracting better players. It starts with how people see and respect a club. Playing into the press image of us being a car boot sale with no power to keep hold of our players and managers and 'apparently' being bullied by players and the likes of spurs and liverpool into sales and losing out on transfer choices is going to be very detrimental to us in terms of winning fans from the younger generations and adding international fans to our club. Youths who are our target for growing the fan base will not want to be associated with a club that is the victim and others pick on, it is human nature. Unfortunately this will also apply to players when weighing up a transfer move, except they would use the word 'unfashionable' when picking the image of say an upwardly mobile West Ham over us.

I accept most of what you say but the highlighted bits are a bit OTT and wrong dont you think?

You really think we are picked on...thats quitr funny..

Thing is would you rather we were like Sunderland for example who sack managers because the results are poor and they keep players because they are also poor...

We are good at what we do but are unlikely to keep the players who want to leave to better their wages and play at a club who are regarded as bigger

Just get MLT to tweet that it is 38 million .....

Doubt he's immature or pathetic enough to give a toss, whereas Carragher definitely is, remember him tweeting exactly the same sort of thing last time we sold to them and it probably happened the time before that and the time before that......He just can't handle that the price of players has gone up since the 90s or that his beloved club would ever over spend by that much (Carroll, Benteke :lol:).

Or he could be right, doubt it though.

Edited by Saint IQ

That list on Wikipedia lists Morgan's sale price at £29.1m!

Regardless of squabbling over a million here or there, my point remains the same.

If we buy right, we can make the squad stronger by losing an outstanding individual.

(This point isn't valid for this thread, but the idea of going into a season without either Morgan or Vic sucks)

seeing as we will have a pretty hefty negative net spend for the 3rd summer running (will be 4 next summer)

could easily pay for a new tier on part of the ground and still have change

Or we could start paying back the millions that Kat and her Dad leant the club to get us where we are.

were we not doing that in the last 2 summers?

I think there's still a large amount of debt owed to the major shareholder. There's a good interview by Adam Blackmore with Gareth Rogers that goes over it.

https://audioboom.com/boos/3668264-listen-southampton-chief-executive-gareth-rogers-talks-to-adam-blackmore-about-the-club-s-financial-report-for-2014-15

Were gonna come unstuck this coming season as our transfer policy sucks. We got away with it for the last 2 seasons but our arrogance could be our undoing this time.

Selling your best player before a new manager is even through the door regardless of the price even £34M is cheap when Sterling was £50M and Mane is far better than him.

and as for our only new signing Redmond as a Mane replacement....... i don't think so, its a joke.

I can see Forster and Virgil going next season or even before in January if the right offer comes in, whoever the manager is he has one hell of a job to build a new team

If this pattern carries on season after season we will see no improvement in the squad as all players and managers we get seem to use us as a stepping stone to larger clubs and better wages, will struggle to compete with the top half teams and could even battle against relegation if we don't get the quality in the team right.

Hope the board recognise this and we get a manager in who will stay for the long term and sign players who want to play for Southampton for the long term too otherwise fans will vote with their feet.

Were gonna come unstuck this coming season as our transfer policy sucks. We got away with it for the last 2 seasons but our arrogance could be our undoing this time.

Selling your best player before a new manager is even through the door regardless of the price even £34M is cheap when Sterling was £50M and Mane is far better than him.

and as for our only new signing Redmond as a Mane replacement....... i don't think so, its a joke.

I can see Forster and Virgil going next season or even before in January if the right offer comes in, whoever the manager is he has one hell of a job to build a new team

If this pattern carries on season after season we will see no improvement in the squad as all players and managers we get seem to use us as a stepping stone to larger clubs and better wages, will struggle to compete with the top half teams and could even battle against relegation if we don't get the quality in the team right.

Hope the board recognise this and we get a manager in who will stay for the long term and sign players who want to play for Southampton for the long term too otherwise fans will vote with their feet.

Our transfer policy sucks? Well get used to it as nothing will change. Plus it doesn't suck, it would suck if we continually bought players that we ended up selling for less or we got stuck with.

Stirling's price was bumped by the fact he was young and English.

In all likelihood Redmond isn't a Mane replacement, that will be someone else.

Forster and Van Dijk won't leave in January having just signed new contracts. Don't be so daft.

Pretty much all clubs are used as potential stepping stones, or had you not noticed?

The only players who want to stay for the long term will be those who aren't offered silly money by the top teams. Any fans voting with their feet because we are selling players for massive profits probably shouldn't be coming in the first place. The club is more important than any of the players. They'll all end up dead, fortunately the club won't because they have a sensible business model.

Other than my points above your post was spot on.

I think there's still a large amount of debt owed to the major shareholder. There's a good interview by Adam Blackmore with Gareth Rogers that goes over it.

https://audioboom.com/boos/3668264-listen-southampton-chief-executive-gareth-rogers-talks-to-adam-blackmore-about-the-club-s-financial-report-for-2014-15

This is an excellent insight thank you. Everybody should listen to this if they haven't. We are being naive if we think there isn't a plan in place to reduce this debt to the owners (£62M mentioned)...likely by slow pay down over time. The other option is sale and recoup which we don't want. So let's say we get max 2/3rds of whatever we sell for to reinvest in the squad.

I'm not in finance, but the interest on that debt alone would probably mean we'd have to sell players to cover it.

I'm looking forward to seeing Mane fail in a Liverpool shirt. He's just too inconsistent to secure a starting place at a "big" club and coming off the bench he often trys too hard. He is a very much a confidence player and can barely stay on his feet when things are going against him. But i wish he was staying as we don't have anyone with his skill, on his day he is simply unplayable and that super quick hat trick against Villa will stay in my memory for ever, great day! I still don't understand why players are so keen to leave at the first offer. Is it ambition or greed? Surely a regular starting place is a better option?

This is an excellent insight thank you. Everybody should listen to this if they haven't. We are being naive if we think there isn't a plan in place to reduce this debt to the owners (£62M mentioned)...likely by slow pay down over time. The other option is sale and recoup which we don't want. So let's say we get max 2/3rds of whatever we sell for to reinvest in the squad.

I'm not in finance, but the interest on that debt alone would probably mean we'd have to sell players to cover it.

Have you not seen the new tv deal?

I'm looking forward to seeing Mane fail in a Liverpool shirt. He's just too inconsistent to secure a starting place at a "big" club and coming off the bench he often trys too hard. He is a very much a confidence player and can barely stay on his feet when things are going against him. But i wish he was staying as we don't have anyone with his skill, on his day he is simply unplayable and that super quick hat trick against Villa will stay in my memory for ever, great day! I still don't understand why players are so keen to leave at the first offer. Is it ambition or greed? Surely a regular starting place is a better option?

Understand your frustration, Dave, but for a player, higher pay is likely to be a better option than a regular starting place. Mané is inconsistent and sometimes looks quite disinterested which is why I don't mind him going while at the same time, providing an opportunity to improve the squad. If the quoted fee of £34m + £4 addons is correct, Southampton should be prosecuted for constantly picking the pocket of the same victim.

Well, that doesn't solve much! https://www.google.co.uk/search?tbs=sbi:AMhZZiuFm77sq2qaFwdyKQuMhAOq_10LB9KEv-TH3a1LLVv6sdQTg4JVkFb5Oa1BMoVnfhuvLbp4V4TlupUgRoVI0rK43I-eZ-rcU7XjA268XYxrte4atfDLvpbFzq3DHi25ssPZnYprVv4e0odObx1qCyo9lB_1BeWPY0-jm-quzWAOIHXuIsLFw3Dhx5YSC2k8kWh-MeLODv5za8P3VSb_1V6RZRl5GBpphHU2XixHUDIx-YZV1X9-2aYTOwxtGWJIDQLVhRWE-DovwKZLVxULIo8VYOYLoGEs9i8GAhv9FTVFYlFSVTB7plEHrTANYQtpO0GTaVhM0aMYRje-ClihlyE2kuWosg1zyscGUhhcElYz8JzekDJjqMN_1HpXifzXCPQMNxVhr-ui-zpmCvbzjo-SpB_1dLA9EHEuzg8iL4sqvaqVYjWeu9Wm1p9XAw7PrignXw54IVy2AhHoEgwsvppOPcNxl-YgKSrA4CABTwygY0A6oHSKugJWFAdexyh5Aon8tdFunMrrhXN8gh-Dc655qthzcJYgOSDrbCnKLKrU47zMgOIts20Z3Kji_1YQozDwK0cQ5CyUmi88AkZ9UOyqgqj3GsWgyeVOW0bPHFXSBO2MPwWbNeL5JwXf4wsJqBsLyVlXCh3xYIVOxvB44BsOOp5kbSYvsKJue9r_1SWDOWRcUAzVU8Zxi56IAqz1ddYPpxnNMPY1mFb1BlXgiiV5NOo_1lZRuIzo_1o2_1aqcly6EjDTHChr62RMsNyw9RnIBiDn_1mhzO4xnwzuasCNw9WRO4UyIemJ-myVjKyLm3mt0H4O036joCqVpcYiLp9M0wdmE1EzW6XknM7EPfhyOCHr8X_1OymuW0H8wd7YPiCSkMFqeqCr2gaekC0F5PCIjaVSV7XH-_154bDHOwVNavXHA7Oq0t3zWC3OYDvjGIaHhU5iJ6-GegVvLdOOp7YDdIJtvhkELpJ_1uUuJiz_1J5fzk7t1yUQ2nfU8TY3s-oMxyDk5EpdGn0QT44gPtwxl6Twr8sGxjTMHeIoGFgHOReoqj0JKnFd0Hmo56WLBUOLA6wHdKi3N-m6EkupfTrXVvS7_1C9rEsX_1MoYQCj46G8gysOHVA1fFc2G6d2bJzFSNmq9cOmhxxwCTiw0sAU7KIbcGiIBNip8Mg0BFjSNTb2kaindqszQtlfq14vbJj9Wsu-fjedXaYCKiwjCOyoHncugkI1wicsSiAtlKLo5fglHSmeWP-tlJ-0MbmYRalTECHTZcBtpeQOJL0wFC6Q-uIO4GBn8q_1d0LucJbeYiRZhjBNxZCAhJvHOZBlOwvNZToPLvO8VPvV4hMqBgH5crI2mvur-OVrhP0f6nlwfrEWYJJpLytuKyZrWMJJt1ksVyDRlTXV2b_1O9WflQrn5KTy4tKh0JpvvllKXUKhO3jNTjyxrOBFn-Ll_10evF55YpGSAN_1vrgrJ4Fw3WMZmnXMbB_1dsM8B-_1T8bWU1LOOBtNlc-IlSL5Y8t8F2kihZXMcZUvTTRDWxvsuZlxIUsPXOqRbyf4jdJqbwc9ECK-SBKKnu8LGh-WLyDV0RLh6aqAhLMwc5MH809hO6VMDR1H6WcwIFay4Kqm2ZKEnfKpKPRgalUTMMN6dFmncjZNQ_1raGiGOZ2QTK8RrwtCgqRSHbBTvDoVxWlscXidmp3rPSUCKQrT41NkdIqcMGvNC0fGT5t-rWPzXcBfCVUgFwgVWpfMMgTXnCsRcEuOZpN0NTcGdtTD-9ZiFEYKQJeF9A6pAQ

That is in fact incredibly easy for the club to do. There are loads of players and managers who would happily sign 10 year contracts and stay at saints for years all the club needs to do is take a look at league 1 and 2......

Any chance of a translation on this?

I took it to mean Kat's dancing. ie she's very happy with the transfer fee. I believe just before the picture was posted Mane's bad attitude was mentioned so maybe she's also happy he left for that reason.

He is our best player by far no one else has the natural skill & pace to his level & on his day can be a game changer & unplayable, yes hes had bad games & looked disinterested at times but who hasn't?

We are basically just a feeder club for Liverpool now! we are a selling club

He is our best player by far no one else has the natural skill & pace to his level & on his day can be a game changer & unplayable, yes hes had bad games & looked disinterested at times but who hasn't?

We are basically just a feeder club for Liverpool now! we are a selling club

Can you name me a club that isn't ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk