CONFIRMED - Mane joins Liverpool for £34m + £2m addons

toe_punt

I wonder what Terry Paine would be worth today in my opinion a complete footballer who won so many games for SFC and with Chivers took us to Div 1 fifty years ago with that goal right in front of me at Brisbane Road

I also often wonder what they even got paid in the Paine/Davies/Chivers era. They always seemed to have to carry on working when the club put them out to grass, usually running a pub iirc. Christ, how things have changed.

I also often wonder what they even got paid in the Paine/Davies/Chivers era. They always seemed to have to carry on working when the club put them out to grass, usually running a pub iirc. Christ, how things have changed.

At one time the you could reckon on the very best players earning roughly double the average industrial wage. Imagine earning 150K£ a week in a factory nowadays.

I wonder what Terry Paine would be worth today in my opinion a complete footballer who won so many games for SFC and with Chivers took us to Div 1 fifty years ago with that goal right in front of me at Brisbane Road

For the younger viewers, I'm trying (struggling) to think of a modern comparison. I guess with the change in playing styles he would nowadays be seen as a wide mid-fielder. He was fit as a fiddle and hard as nails, and he had a wand of a right foot.

If he was transported into the modern game I suspect he would have left Saints relatively early, while still on an upward trajectory, joined a 'big club' for a big fat fee and big wages and then become yet another semi-anonymous member of somebody's bloated 25-man squad, he would then have failed to train-on, and ultimately under-achieved against his original potential, whereas if he had stayed at Saints he could have played 700+ first team games, become a Saints legend, earning slightly less money but having much more fun and kudos on the way, and maybe even winning the odd trophy too. A salutory tale for all the youngsters who followed behind him ....!

For the younger viewers, I'm trying (struggling) to think of a modern comparison. I guess with the change in playing styles he would nowadays be seen as a wide mid-fielder. He was fit as a fiddle and hard as nails, and he had a wand of a right foot.

If he was transported into the modern game I suspect he would have left Saints relatively early, while still on an upward trajectory, joined a 'big club' for a big fat fee and big wages and then become yet another semi-anonymous member of somebody's bloated 25-man squad, he would then have failed to train-on, and ultimately under-achieved against his original potential, whereas if he had stayed at Saints he could have played 700+ first team games, become a Saints legend, earning slightly less money but having much more fun and kudos on the way, and maybe even winning the odd trophy too. A salutory tale for all the youngsters who followed behind him ....!

Some of the players hated him and when they played a game on the dell car park some of them tried to clatter him. Ian White told me that his peripheral vision was so good that nobody could get near him.

At one time the you could reckon on the very best players earning roughly double the average industrial wage. Imagine earning 150K£ a week in a factory nowadays.

Puts it in perspective, doesn't it. What was the pub Peter Rodrigues managed after he retired? In Totton, I think.

OK my take on TP for the younger generation was that he was a better crosser than Beckham by a country mile. Even relatively late on he could take a man on the outside using brains rather than the speed of youth and he was a goal scorer. 183 goals in 713 games for Saints doesn't look too impressive, but he was basically a midfielder in modern money. I have no doubt that were a player with his qualities were to arrive on the scene now, they would be heralded as an absolute superstar, he was that good! Had a nasty streak in him mind, but I suppose facing agricultural full backs week in week out you had to have that. In my Saints watching years which are now beyond half a century he stands out along with Mick Channon and MLT as the greatest Saints players I have seen.

As a youngster in the late sixties standing towards the East Stand corner on Archers Road there was always a palpable sense of excitement when he was in a crossing position, invariably as a result of quick one two that put him in good position on the by-line. With his crossing and Ron Davies in the middle you could almost sense that a goal was inevitable.

I'm not one for slating players tbh but Mane has been truly terrible for quite some time now. His touch has been awful, his usually great off ball movement has been non existent and when he has the ball it's like watching Titus Bramble try and skill it past Messi. I don't know whats up with him lately but he needs to sort his **** out or he'll be going nowhere. We definitely need a wide player or two in the summer that's for sure.

I'm not one for slating players tbh but Mane has been truly terrible for quite some time now. His touch has been awful, his usually great off ball movement has been non existent and when he has the ball it's like watching Titus Bramble try and skill it past Messi. I don't know whats up with him lately but he needs to sort his **** out or he'll be going nowhere. We definitely need a wide player or two in the summer that's for sure.

A fairly hard report card Shance. I think it's fair to say SM has not produced his best since the game (Norwich?) he was dropped for being late - but I still see him doing good things and getting into good channels, but two things have worked against him; there have been so many long balls recently just belted up to the Austin, Long, Mane direction and when Mane has played he's been stuck out on the wing, with little service from midfield or wing back. IN the game against Bournmouth I noticed three times ( JWPx2 and Davisx1) hit a square pass hard out to his wing in a cramped part of the field with nothing on - I think, in part he is missing some of the interchange with Tadic, Davis at his best and even an inform Pelle, because without some of the on-the-carpet passes in and around the box some of our play lately has resembled a non-creative overly direct aerial bombardment.

Imagine even a factory nowadays, probably the young generation has never heard of them. Terry used to run a greengrocers shop in Shirley High Street in the early seventies and was always outside the shop on fine days chatting to passers by. Good trips down memory lane even then. Not quite up there with George Best but mighty close on his day. He used to run riot at the Dell when in form and it was awesome to watch in the true sense of that now over-used word.

How about a mix of Ryan Giggs for dribbling , David Beckham for crossing accuracy, and Diego Costa for attitude. ;)

The good thing about the Terry Paine days was that we supported our players there was not the constant criticism when we lost which we did regularly especially away from home.

If the other team scores more goals so what

The good thing about the Terry Paine days was that we supported our players there was not the constant criticism when we lost which we did regularly especially away from home.

If the other team scores more goals so what

Agreed, we were awful away from home in those days. I think that all changed when we bought Big John McGrath?

• 2 weeks later...
Virgil van Dijk has scored 3 PL goals in 26 appearances;

Sadio Mane has scored 3 PL goals in 29 appearances.

I (still) really rate Mane's potential, but something is wrong with this picture.

One of them appears to have lost interest... or perhaps that's a simplification

• 1 month later...

A few goals later and Mane leaving would now signal the collapse of any shred of ambition left by the board and the end of SFC.... apparently. Seems people are already forgetting he has been pretty average for a large portion of the season.

He hasn't been consistent enough this season to throw very big money at.

He's proved to me that he can be world class when he wants to be, and very ordinary when he doesn't, and I'm not sure the club should take the gamble of breaking club records for someone who might disappear for games at a time if his heart's not in it. Always one strop away from an expensive, average player, so sadly it's time to take the money.

He hasn't been consistent enough this season to throw very big money at.

He's proved to me that he can be world class when he wants to be, and very ordinary when he doesn't, and I'm not sure the club should take the gamble of breaking club records for someone who might disappear for games at a time if his heart's not in it. Always one strop away from an expensive, average player, so sadly it's time to take the money.

Not sure about his attitude at all. Funny how he only really performs when it's nearing the transfer window and he wants to get himself noticed.

Not sure about his attitude at all. Funny how he only really performs when it's nearing the transfer window and he wants to get himself noticed.

Because he really got himself noticed in the January transfer window :p no goals between 25th October 2015 and 20th March 2016...

Thoroughly agree. He's not even Championship level. I hope tonight was the last time we get to see him. Isgrove can at least get round his man and is a great tackler too.

Isgrove might get to be a Championship player if he does well for Barnsley in the L1 playoffs and they decide to sign him from us for next season.

The second coming of Ali Dia.

My God what a dreadful performance tonight, his finishing is Southern Conference level at best. Can't pass, can't shoot, no positional sense at all. Fed up seeing him on his @rse after shanking yet another shot. The worst player on the pitch yet again today.

The worst $10M we've spent since Ramirez (who's not a bad player but not worth the money), and Osvaldo (who's not a bad player, just a head case).

Requoted as gospel truth.

• 3 weeks later...

What a player Mane is. Possibly our best attacker since MLT quality wise. The whole crowd lifts when he gets the ball which is usually a sign of expectation and he has troubled the best defenders as well as the dross.

He can be a 20 goal a season PL player IMO which for someone who isn't a striker as such, is fantastic.

If Everton want £65m for Lukaku then I would say Mane has to be close to the £45-50m bracket although his contract situation possibly lessens that.

I think there is an ACON next season too but regardless, keeping him would be massive, he is going to the top.

I have maintained since that hat trick against Villa last season that one day Mane will fall into that bracket of players just below the Messi/Ronaldo/Neymar/Bale/Suarez one, so in the company of players like Hazard/Lewandowski/Ribery/Ibrahimovic, providing he can find some consistency in his game. The way he can stop dead, stand up to two players, and just leave them in his wake is astounding, his change of feet and speed is rare and he just makes everything look effortless. But on top of his skill, I think his work rate goes completely unappreciated, even when he was going through that bad spell mid-season I still didn't want him dropped because even when he's not on song he still causes constant problems because he is always working. I remember when we beat Chelsea away from home I saw so many opposition fans tweeting how hard he was working that night, but he does that every game even when it's not quite happening for him, which is something you can't always attribute to a player of his variety, who often go missing when it gets tough. Sadly it almost certainly won't be for us, but I really believe Mané will make it right to the top.

What a player Mane is. Possibly our best attacker since MLT quality wise. The whole crowd lifts when he gets the ball which is usually a sign of expectation and he has troubled the best defenders as well as the dross.

He can be a 20 goal a season PL player IMO which for someone who isn't a striker as such, is fantastic.

If Everton want £65m for Lukaku then I would say Mane has to be close to the £45-50m bracket although his contract situation possibly lessens that.

I think there is an ACON next season too but regardless, keeping him would be massive, he is going to the top.

in two years maybe. not going to get that this summer for him though are we.

I agree he is good, let's not let the Villa/City hattrick joys skew the whole season - there were points in the last year that we were all moaning about his attitude, finishing, workrate and general usefulness.

he didn't score a single goal between October 25th and March 20th bar a couple in the capital one cup. that's five months.

I like him, I think he has improved and provides a level of movement we are guilty of lacking at times, but if he goes for 20m+ and we get a player like denis praet/ziyech instead, I won't be complaining too much.

in two years maybe. not going to get that this summer for him though are we.

I agree he is good, let's not let the Villa/City hattrick joys skew the whole season - there were points in the last year that we were all moaning about his attitude, finishing, workrate and general usefulness.

he didn't score a single goal between October 25th and March 20th bar a couple in the capital one cup. that's five months.

I like him, I think he has improved and provides a level of movement we are guilty of lacking at times, but if he goes for 20m+ and we get a player like denis praet/ziyech instead, I won't be complaining too much.

Though I do have a lingering suspicion that ziyech could be another Gaston, I mean have you seen the guy? His legs are as big as Mane's arms. Aside from the possibility of him being in the mahrez mould of players, he seems unfit for the physical side of the premier league. Hope I'm wrong if we do get him. And praet isn't much different. Although even some players built like a tank still struggle in the pl, see depay.

Leicester planning Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain swoop – and Arsenal could replace him with Sadio Mane:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/leicester-planning-alex-oxlade-chamberlain-8018927?

Quote: The 24-year-old – signed from Salzburg for £11.25million – was a target for Manchester United last summer. Saints have rejected any prospect of a move, but a bid around £17m could secure him.

Haha. £17m - right.

We sold them a right back who had played four and a half games for £16m.

They wouldn't even get Mane's nutsack for that much.

I appreciate what you are saying but given the way that transfer fees are structured I would guess that we have not received anything like £16m yet and with the progress he is making I doubt that we ever will.