CONFIRMED - Mane joins Liverpool for £34m + £2m addons

toe_punt

He's not a bad player, lets get this cleared up right now. But last night, he was definitely very poor. Just didn't seem that anything he tried came off (the attempted outside of the boot cross actually made me lol, i've seen kids kick with more technique!) apart from that one shot that Guzan saved. Mane needs to up his game next week.

He's not a bad player, lets get this cleared up right now. But last night, he was definitely very poor. Just didn't seem that anything he tried came off (the attempted outside of the boot cross actually made me lol, i've seen kids kick with more technique!) apart from that one shot that Guzan saved. Mane needs to up his game next week.

Probably judst needed a game to get the ANC qualifiers last week out of his system, probably quite hot in Africa just now, damp cold Villa Park might not have been easy to

adjust. It's one of the drawbacks of regular african national team players. Constant long voyages and the climate change coupled with them. Got to give the bloke some slack really. Look at Yaya, he'd not been so great for a while, probably for exactly the same reasons, the ANC is a pain in the butt, every 2 years like that means they're in perpetual qualifying tournaments for the major nations who have a chance of making the WC final stages as well.

Probably judst needed a game to get the ANC qualifiers last week out of his system, probably quite hot in Africa just now, damp cold Villa Park might not have been easy to

adjust. It's one of the drawbacks of regular african national team players. Constant long voyages and the climate change coupled with them. Got to give the bloke some slack really. Look at Yaya, he'd not been so great for a while, probably for exactly the same reasons, the ANC is a pain in the butt, every 2 years like that means they're in perpetual qualifying tournaments for the major nations who have a chance of making the WC final stages as well.

Not that I'm Yaya's biggest fan (that's not to say he isn't a fantastic player), but in his defence he did lose his brother over the summer. They were pretty close from the reports I saw, so it wouldn't be the biggest shock if that has had an impact on his form this season. It's not exactly great pre-season prep.

Of course this is probably the first time most of you have actually seen him play given the paucity of games shown on UK telly. The radio doesn't reflect how laughable some of his attempts on goal have been. This is not his first poor game, he's been poor in every game but sing "Kumbaya" if you wish.

Of course this is probably the first time most of you have actually seen him play given the paucity of games shown on UK telly. The radio doesn't reflect how laughable some of his attempts on goal have been. This is not his first poor game, he's been poor in every game but sing "Kumbaya" if you wish.

If only those who didn't go to the games knew about this fancy new thing called, the internet.

Edited by KelvinsRightGlove
crappy spelling

Dakar in Senegal is 2700 miles away, that's nearer than New York and without any significant time zone changes. There are countries within UEFA further away than that (eg Azerbaijan is 2800 miles).

The AFCON qualifiers which aren't in normal FIFA international slots (there are some) we're not even required to release players for, the rest happen in exactly the same windows as every other qualifying tournament and we have no matches in those timescales and even had 2 extra recovery days in this one.

The AFCON was scheduled to be in Morocco, a whole 3 hour flight away, and clubs have negotiated availability around the Championships for years so they don't lose players for the "two months" people seem to flap about. If Senegal win the thing he'll be gone for around 5 weeks - including 2 weeks before the thing starts. Tournament is 17 January - 8 February, 3 weeks long. Ok, it's now in Equatiorial Guinea, but that's still 3500 miles in the same timezone and nearer than, say, Chicago.

Basically, if Senegal want Mane from us for 2 weeks in advance of their opening game, he'll be gone by about Jan 3rd, depending on whether Senegal play on the opening day or not.

Our fixtures in that period are:

Arsenal H 1 Jan

AFCON Join-up begins - may be negotiable

FA Cup R3 4 Jan(ish)

Man U A 11 Jan

AFCON R1 begins 17 Jan

Newcastle A 17 Jan

[Lge Cup SF 1st Leg]

[FA Cup R4 24 Jan]

AFCON R1 ends

[Lge Cup SF 2nd Leg]

AFCON QF ends

Swansea H 1 Feb

AFCON SF ends

QPR A 7 Feb

AFCON Final

Bearing in mind we're not even in the Lge Cup Semis or FA Cup 4th round yet, and Senegal aren't in the knockout stages of the AFCON yet, he might end up only missing 2 Premier League matches and an FA Cup 3rd round tie he might not even have been needed for. If they get to the Final, and we're still in the FA Cup and League Cup, and he leaves before New Year, yeah, he could miss 9 matches, but hell, we'd be in the 4th Round of the FA Cup and the League Cup semis for that to happen.

In fact, if we can get Senegal/Mane to agree not to leave until a week before the tournament begins after the Man U match, we'd only lose him for the Newcastle match and, given travelling time, three cup games we haven't even qualified for yet.

Edited by The9

Stop digging a hole. You look foolish as he simply hasn't been poor in every game. I do not know another fan who thinks the same.

The second coming of Ali Dia.

My God what a dreadful performance tonight, his finishing is Southern Conference level at best. Can't pass, can't shoot, no positional sense at all. Fed up seeing him on his @rse after shanking yet another shot. The worst player on the pitch yet again today.

The worst $10M we've spent since Ramirez (who's not a bad player but not worth the money), and Osvaldo (who's not a bad player, just a head case).

:lol::lol: clueless

Turkish thinks all of us are now agreeing with them and will bring it up for the next couple of seasons.

every time someone says something dumb, which tbf is not infrequent, i immediately think OMG no! Turkish is going to accuse me of thinking Forster is no better than League 1, in 2016 or whenever it is that Forster wins Balloon Doors :(

Couldn't disagree more with this!

Not his best last night but who played well? Can't think of many players who did themselves justice ...

The lad is young, new to the league and, last night, we were playing a different shape. Give him half a chance before writing him off at least.

His pace, trickery and directness offers us another dimension to our play. Just look at the Stoke goal, showed just that!

Couldn't disagree more with this!

Not his best last night but who played well? Can't think of many players who did themselves justice ...

The lad is young, new to the league and, last night, we were playing a different shape. Give him half a chance before writing him off at least.

His pace, trickery and directness offers us another dimension to our play. Just look at the Stoke goal, showed just that!

Everyone disagrees mate. It's an idiotic thread.

every time someone says something dumb, which tbf is not infrequent, i immediately think OMG no! Turkish is going to accuse me of thinking Forster is no better than League 1, in 2016 or whenever it is that Forster wins Balloon Doors :(

This is true, I often bring up the thread where everyone said that we need a bigger stadium and everyone expected work to have started by now.

So basically 1 or 2 posters out of everyone think he's rubbish, a few question Forster, and Turkish thinks all of us are now agreeing with them and will bring it up for the next couple of seasons.

e.

Most things go over your head don't they pal, were you a limbo dancer in a former life?

What he tried last night generally didn't come off, bout summed it up when he tried to do the outside of the foot ball into Pelle I think and it went out for corner instead as he got the inside of his foot on it. Anyone that has played the game at any level has been there, some things you could do in your sleep yet you'll have a day where nothing comes off.

But he kept going and he kept trying to create, kept trying to create space, kept running on what ultimately was a poor overall team performance, which I think is encouraging.

A 22 year old player in his first season in the prem could have easily gone to hide, just passed simple inside balls for the rest of the night, but no even when he clearly wasn't having his day he kept trying to be a creative outlet for the team.

As many have said Hutton played well, a player that used to be a real quality full back when at Rangers and his early Spurs days looks like he might have found some of that old form back and well shackled Mane.

We've already though seen enough there I think to be excited, he won't come off every game but when he does he'll win games. He was the stand out player a few weeks ago. Him and Tadic though different in approach provide what probably only Jay Rod gave us last year, direct running at defenders at full pace. It creates chances.

Not that I'm Yaya's biggest fan (that's not to say he isn't a fantastic player), but in his defence he did lose his brother over the summer. They were pretty close from the reports I saw, so it wouldn't be the biggest shock if that has had an impact on his form this season. It's not exactly great pre-season prep.

He is also 31--an age at which virtually all non-goalie players start to play worse.

Poor in every game?

I would say one of the following 3 apply:

1. You are blind

2. You are stupid

3. You are a troll

Or maybe you are all 3?

To be fair to the OP Mane made more mistakes than anyone else in a Saints shirt. Offsides, handball, poor passes, poor crosses, the toe poke out for a goal kick. If that's all he saw, then fair enough. However, his poor play was roughly balanced out by his better moments - a really good shot that Guzan was at full stretch to save, some nice touches and passes, and he's very lively. Just needs an improved team ethic and to cut out the 'look at me' stuff. And get rid of the stupid haircut

Ali Dia was the only player we ever judged on ONE game......(or part of it anyway)

Adjusting to a new set-up isn't always so easy - (ask Brendan Rodgers:lol:)... but the fact is that Mane didn't start until game 7 (his since when debut was Cup game v Arsenal), since when he has started only 5 games ....interspersed by two international breaks on another continent, where he played twice each time ...and clocked up a few thousand frequent-flyer points along the way. He needs time.

I think your judgement is a little premature, especially as he wasn't the only player who " under-performed " somewhat in the Villa game.

Any better yesterday? Not so sure myself. don't know if his team mates know what he is going to do next, not sure he does either. Early days, but he reminds me of Papa and maybe we should be starting with Long and having Mane as the impact sub.

Dont know myself. He seemed lazy yesterday, a few times he didn't chase down the ball or pulled away from challenges, although one was against Mangala so I can't blame him for that one.

Any better yesterday? Not so sure myself. don't know if his team mates know what he is going to do next, not sure he does either.

Early days, but he reminds me of Papa and maybe we should be starting with Long and having Mane as the impact sub.

...best idea IMO...Long is more versatile in his playing style. Mane has speed and a fairly good delivery, but is very predictable.

Any better yesterday? Not so sure myself. don't know if his team mates know what he is going to do next, not sure he does either. Early days, but he reminds me of Papa and maybe we should be starting with Long and having Mane as the impact sub.

I'd certainly agree, doesn't offer enough at the moment, his main attribute is his unpredictability, he needs to bve more consistent. More than once he could have run at one of their defenders and he just turned back and dropped the ball off.

Edited by Saint Garrett

Whether its what he was asked to do or not I couldnt say but he spent too much time inside yesterday which meant city were able to crowd him out. Personally Id of liked to see him wider more often and running at the FB though its worth remembering Pablo is regarded as one of the best RBs in the world.

He isnt as bad as is being made out, of the three up there yesterday he was marginally better. Pelle was again nowhere to be seen, he just doesnt work hard enough and tadic was very poor which didnt help.

He has real potential, and has had flashes of excellence.

Mane seemed frightened to tackle yesterday and to take people on - we were able to watch him closely in the first half on our side and when he had the ball he invariably cut inside and lost it - predictable - he then hung around in space. Did he get a single cross in? The fact that Tadic was also so poor did not help at all. I think it would have been much better to have started with Long and brought Mane on for the last 20 minutes if needed.

He's had 2 pretty frightening games, but this is what you get with him. He will give you a few stinkers, and then a few blinders.

There's obvious ability there, but a bit of rawness and rashness too. I like him, I think he adds an element of unpredictability to our attack which can open the door in those real tight games. I would be tempted to bench him for the next game though, as from the bench he may look more threatening at the moment. Rotating him and Long seems to work ok.

He's had 2 pretty frightening games, but this is what you get with him. He will give you a few stinkers, and then a few blinders.

There's obvious ability there, but a bit of rawness and rashness too. I like him, I think he adds an element of unpredictability to our attack which can open the door in those real tight games. I would be tempted to bench him for the next game though, as from the bench he may look more threatening at the moment. Rotating him and Long seems to work ok.

I've stated before that I think it'll take him longer to settle than our other new signings; no pre-season with us, not played in a decent league previously, travelling back and forth to Africa, needs to get used to the physical side of the game, still young.

But we can't sustain too many spells like the last two games, always expect him to blow hot and cold, but need more from him than what we've got last few games. Long to start ahead of him for me.

Reminds me a bit of Henri Camara, looks lightweight but surprisingly strong when he wants to be, good balance and explosiveness, with the occasional "wtf" moment. Probably not as good a finisher though, from the few chances he's had. The kind of player that can change games, but he didn't at all like having to track back to support Bertrand defensively and City exploited that a fair bit and also used it to pin back Bertrand as an attacking threat.