Fraser Forster

Kaiser Soze

Yes but he should have been out beforehand. Just as his judgement was wrong against Villa so was he in this instance but got lucky

I agree totally. I had a great view of it looking down from the Chapel/Kingsland corner and he had plenty of time to come out and clear it before Aguera could have reached it. Everybody around me asked why isn't he coming out, and fearing the worst of a one against one with a player of Aguero's standing. So, he made a good save, but there was no need for it to have even got to that stage.

I agree totally. I had a great view of it looking down from the Chapel/Kingsland corner and he had plenty of time to come out and clear it before Aguera could have reached it. Everybody around me asked why isn't he coming out, and fearing the worst of a one against one with a player of Aguero's standing. So, he made a good save, but there was no need for it to have even got to that stage.

From itchen south i thought he made the right call. The best thing about having forster in goal is that we have palmed off irene on bompey.

If you can't see Forster has some basic issues then don't post on this thread..

We shouldn't have it at all. Forster is a huge upgrade on the erratic Boruc. He's made one ort two mistakes but none of them was yesterday. The defence have much, much more confidence in him which of course is one reason our defence has been so good this year. It was good too to see he had learnt from the Villa gaffe and got that decision exactly right. We lost yesterday because City gave their best performance of the season and frankly were better than us.

Should have been out beforehand? Where should he have been? In midfield to anticipate Aguero getting through and in behind the 2 CB's?

He didn't make any error of judgement, because he made a save. He didn't get lucky, because his 'judgement' enabled him to make the save.

Jesus wept.

he certainly did make an error of judgement yesterday, similar to the one against Villa. The difference this time is that he reacted to his error very quickly and made a brilliant recovery to prevent the goal. No argument about his recovery and save, but he still should not have put himself in that position in the first place. Despite what some of the posters are saying, yes we do need him to be a sweeper, this is the way the position now should work, see Lloris if you want a great example. Anyway, the real big mistake yesterday was the shot he let through his legs, fortunately Toby was on hand to clear off of the line otherwise that would have been a complete howler. It is one of Forster's weaknesses, getting down to low balls,the downside really of his height and bulk meaning he is good with crosses and high stuff. There are other ridiculous comments by some on here that because he has let in lowest number of goals that he must be a brilliant keeper. fact is that he has also had lowest number of shots on target against him because our team defend from the front and especially our midfield/defence stop shots even getting in. I haven't checked the stats but i seem to remember very few shots on target yesterday, possibly two other than the 3 goals - if correct (and I am happy to have those stats corrected) that would be a 40% save rate which is very low. Up to yesterday it was 75% which was the highest in the league. By the way, I don't think Forster could have done anything about any of the goals yesterday. The bottom line is that just because a keeper is behind the best defence in the league doesn't mean he is the best keeper and that he is above criticism. i don't want Boruc back, but it would be good to have some real competition for the jersey, having Kelvin and Cropper as backup is patently ridiculous (Cropper seems to be 3rd choice now ahead of Gazza).

I'm not against Forster, but am I the only one that thinks Jack Butland would have been a better buy? He is English, is not getting a fair run at his current club, and when he was used last season he made some cracking saves/stops against Suarez and Sturridge.

Pretty good save from that one on one with Aguero...

Yup, a World Class piece of keeping - excellent decision given what happened Monday, and good to see him learning. Other than a flaky performance against Spurs (and he wasn't to blame for any goals there) and the brain fart at Villa, I haven't seen him do much wrong. Keeps getting criticised for his kicking, for which I've seen no evidence at all, and people keep saying he looks panicked and flustered, when he regularly just ambles out and pulls crosses into his hands without any problem at all.

Compared to Boruc he looks more solid, more assured, has more of a presence and is so much better at retaining concentration - Boruc was a pretty good keeper when he was concentrating, but that was his main weakness.

I'm not against Forster, but am I the only one that thinks Jack Butland would have been a better buy? He is English, is not getting a fair run at his current club, and when he was used last season he made some cracking saves/stops against Suarez and Sturridge.

Butland has done very little to support the hype in the past 2 seasons, we might even be able to sign him too, soon.

Excellent, a defeat and a mistake in the previous game and now England's second choice goalkeeper is not up to the job for us.

I don't think he's the finished article by any means, but in general, i thought he was solid yesterday, as he has been all season - decent enough on crosses, remarkable save from Aguero given the form he's in, not much he could do on the goals.

It's too simple to say that he has a good defence in front of him so he often doesnt get tested - you have to assume that the defence has a fair amount of confidence in him too, as it's all about communication and working as a unit.

I'd point out that when Gazza was having his hapless spell in goal for us, and everyone was making mistakes at the back, it was largely deemed to be Gazza's fault on here as the defence had no confidence in - you can't have it both ways when it's the other way round.

He made the right decision and an excellent save. Even if it had hit him on the ar5e whilst falling over backwards it would have been an excellent save. The fact he recognised the similarity of the situation to Monday, made the judgement to stay on his line, and stopped a goal instead of being held responsible for one, shows that he's a quick learner AND makes good decisions. If it had gone in, fine, he should have come out as it couldn't have been any worse. But it didn't, so he got the best possible outcome and it could not have been improved upon.

He made the right decision and an excellent save. Even if it had hit him on the ar5e whilst falling over backwards it would have been an excellent save. The fact he recognised the similarity of the situation to Monday, made the judgement to stay on his line, and stopped a goal instead of being held responsible for one, shows that he's a quick learner AND makes good decisions. If it had gone in, fine, he should have come out as it couldn't have been any worse. But it didn't, so he got the best possible outcome and it could not have been improved upon.

No both decisions were wrong IMO. One lead to a goal the other a last ditch save. Goalkeeping is mainly anticipation to AVOID making saves. In this respect his reading of the game is suspect at the moment.

No both decisions were wrong IMO. One lead to a goal the other a last ditch save. Goalkeeping is mainly anticipation to AVOID making saves. In this respect his reading of the game is suspect at the moment.

If the defence had been doing its ob properly then neither action would have been necessary.

Yup, a World Class piece of keeping - excellent decision given what happened Monday, and good to see him learning. Other than a flaky performance against Spurs (and he wasn't to blame for any goals there) and the brain fart at Villa, I haven't seen him do much wrong. Keeps getting criticised for his kicking, for which I've seen no evidence at all, and people keep saying he looks panicked and flustered, when he regularly just ambles out and pulls crosses into his hands without any problem at all.

Compared to Boruc he looks more solid, more assured, has more of a presence and is so much better at retaining concentration - Boruc was a pretty good keeper when he was concentrating, but that was his main weakness.

This

Agree, yesterday was a good save but it was one he didn't need to make, it would have been much easier to get to the ball first and hack it clear. You would have to think a keeper could hack 9 out of 10 loose balls clear, particularly when he starts as odds-on favourite? How many times will a keeper save a one on one, not 9 out of 10. All he's done is given the oppo the 'heads up' that he won't be leaving his box any time soon and that his starting position is often very deep - expect to see other teams chipping our back four with a ball that holds up 20-25yds from goal, they know Forster won't be interested and any quick fd has got a free run at it, and a one on one.

I have no doubt about FFs ability. Every keeper at every level makes the odd mistake. Do you think City fans will be writing off Hart because of some of his flaps at corners.

But, I had the perfect view of the Aguero chance and he could have easily come out and cleared that way before Aguero got to the ball. Must have been worried about mis-timing it again or getting a red card. In the end I suppose it didn't make much difference. The save though was incredible mind you but could have been avoided with a routine Neuer sweep and punt.

If the defence had been doing its ob properly then neither action would have been necessary.

Is not a goalkeeper part of the defence? Yes defenders make mistakes but Goalkeeper mistakes are often more costly and the decision making is more crucial. It requires enormous powers of concentration to be a top level keeper. Not saying Forster is bad but so far this season he has benefitted from an outstanding defence in front of him

Is not a goalkeeper part of the defence? Yes defenders make mistakes but Goalkeeper mistakes are often more costly and the decision making is more crucial. It requires enormous powers of concentration to be a top level keeper. Not saying Forster is bad but so far this season he has benefitted from an outstanding defence in front of him

Not really. He can't hold a line and play anybody offside.

Are you no longer English if you've played for Celtic?

Excellent, a defeat and a mistake in the previous game and now England's second choice goalkeeper is not up to the job for us.

I don't think he's the finished article by any means, but in general, i thought he was solid yesterday, as he has been all season - decent enough on crosses, remarkable save from Aguero given the form he's in, not much he could do on the goals.

It's too simple to say that he has a good defence in front of him so he often doesnt get tested - you have to assume that the defence has a fair amount of confidence in him too, as it's all about communication and working as a unit.

I'd point out that when Gazza was having his hapless spell in goal for us, and everyone was making mistakes at the back, it was largely deemed to be Gazza's fault on here as the defence had no confidence in - you can't have it both ways when it's the other way round.

This ^

Jack Butland, Jack Wilshere, Jack Rodwell.

If you're a talented young English footballer named Jack, the peak of your fame will be the hype that is prematurely showered on you.

Last season Boruc was the greatest keeper we had had in 10 years and now he's at Bournemouth it seems most can't say "Boruc" without attaching "the erratic" to it. Boruc's reflex saves and shot stopping are a lot better than Fraser's, he's a more enjoyable keeper to watch as some of the saves he pulled off were amazing, and he's still doing it now a league down.

Forster is more of a long term option though and will only get better than he is, although I don't think he will be better than Boruc. He seems quite slow getting down to low shots and those that come straight at him are never parried out to the sides like a decent keeper would but back into the central areas. I do think though that once he gets command of his box we will have a very good keeper on our hands.

Well sure that doesn't concern saints fans. You seem to have a new whipping boy in goal

I wondered what your hero was doing for Millwall's first goal?

He seemed to dive to his left without putting his arms out to stop the ball, which wasn't headed particularly hard. If that had occurred here on Sunday, the "numpties" on here would be more up in arms than they already are.