Fraser Forster

Kaiser Soze

The thing people need to remember is like a lot of our signings we haven't signed the finished article, we've signed a player with potential. He's still inexperienced at top flight and although no guarantees I'm sure he'll improve, his performance at arsenal and against Barcelona in the champions league show he's got tons of ability. With experience and coaching he'll get the decision making side of his game right.

Quite right.

I've not been convinced by Forster since his arrival, even before that for England. My celtic supporting friend said he's good but he likes to stay on his line and he's right. For a top class keeper, staying on your line is not good enough; you have to be a sweeper too these days.

The only crosses he's come for are easy claims, no-one around him. When it's crowded he stays rooted to his line. He's 6ft 7in for christ sake, he should be going through people, we all know how keepers are protected!

I say this not based on last night, or even the Villa mistake, but based on all the games he's played this season. Dodgy at spurs too remember?

Fair play, he pulled off some great saves at Arsenal but all keepers are capable of this; even Kelvin is a good shot stopper, but it's the other stuff, claiming crosses, commanding your area, kicking and distribution, and sweeping up that make a great keeper.

Sorry, but I feel he needs to improve in those other areas.

Compare him to Shilton, Niemi and you can really appreciate that he is a long way behind those guys and the gulf between Shilton and Niemi was big too!!

Just watched the goal again when it was repeated on soccer AM, if Im honest I might be being harsh on him for the second aswell. The cross was excellent and was way out of the 6 yard box for ages.

If you watch it and honestly want your keeper that far out of goal then fair enough

you are probably right. we were way too wasteful in front of goal, mind

you are probably right. we were way too wasteful in front of goal, mind

Very much so, but thats been our issue for years. I blamed FF for the second at first, but having another look after getting over the result I think its a tad harsh.

Thats what Utd get with top level options, Falcao, Rooney, RVP none need many chances

Just watched the goal again when it was repeated on soccer AM, if Im honest I might be being harsh on him for the second aswell. The cross was excellent and was way out of the 6 yard box for ages.

If you watch it and honestly want your keeper that far out of goal then fair enough

That was my feeling. I was sat in the central Kingsland, right behind Rooney's cross, and at no time did I think it was the keeper's ball. My immediate reaction was 'how did those three get round the back without being picked up?'

He was "static" again on that first half cross that ended up in the scramble inside the six yard box.

With little in the way of blocking attackers, it was "keeper's ball" all the way, especially for a guy his height, but he inexplicably stayed on his line and mayhem ensued. We ended up with a free kick for something in the melé but Forster's lack of decisiveness created the problem in the first place.

He has to make his height and physical stature his biggest assets and dominate the goalmouth, especially as low shots will always be challenging for him, but he's not even doing that consistently. And inconsistency on crosses sews uncertainty among defenders, which we're starting to see.

£10m quid. Has age on his side but he's proving to be nothing more than an expensive replacement for Boruc, who had done nothing wrong.

Think one aspect that isn't being discussed is the relative characters and the impact they have on team spirit.

Many posters have raved about the togetherness at the club. I've previously heard positive things about FF. I have met KD and seems a very decent guy, very well liked within the camp.

Then there is AB who had tantrum with fans at start of his career, sulked rather than competed when FF arrived and who our manager has said we are better off giving him away than having him at the training ground. Is he disruptive, a pain etc?

I do like characters in the club, and we've had a few over the years, but its a lot easier as a fan than working with them.

Boruc is a good keeper, gold enough for top championship , or many prem sides. He isn't gold enough for a top 6 side.

IMHO, FF is good enough for top 6 sides. Although the purpose of this board is to analyse and debate, it is dangerous for keepers, they all make mistakes, they all let in goals, misjudge corners etc - often leading to goals. My memory of shilton is that he didn't, but that is probably a bit of a romantic exaggeration!

Hart, seaman etc all have had nightmares.

If he wanted out I bet fans at most prem sides, bar united, Chelsea, man city, spurs (although even heard some mixed views from spurs fans this season)

I for one was highly critical of Kelvin for conceding at the near post.FF has done it yet again and 'he needs time to bed in'? We paid a lot of money for him so he really should be a little more aware of the threats.

All keepers concede at the near post. Boruc does BAnks did, Shilton did, the Bayern keeper has. The fans on here magnify the problem as patently most have never had a ball come at them at speed and deflected or so close to their legs that sometimes they can't react quick enough. My gripe with FF is that with his height and size he should dominate the area and also be quick off his line to clear a through ball

I for one was highly critical of Kelvin for conceding at the near post.FF has done it yet again and 'he needs time to bed in'? We paid a lot of money for him so he really should be a little more aware of the threats.

It was a deflection.

Utter crap

no it's not utter crap its the truth you cant face, they agreed the back-pass was horrendous but he did nothing to narrow down the odds by running out to close the ball down as soon as it was clear the back-pass was short he remained static, I'm in no way suggesting forster will not ever get better just that he is not at the level we need him to be at right now

I think you need to watch the goal back again, and explain just what exactly, in the name of physics and movement, how he was able to magically change the course of his body to meet the deflection within a milisecond?

Unfortunately he's not magic.

no it's not utter crap its the truth you cant face, they agreed the back-pass was horrendous but he did nothing to narrow down the odds by running out to close the ball down as soon as it was clear the back-pass was short he remained static, I'm in no way suggesting forster will not ever get better just that he is not at the level we need him to be at right now

And what level do we need him to be at compared at what we have ? He has made one stupid mistake, the Villa one, and it could have been a damn sight worse.

Blaming him for the backpass is moronic, and I couldnt care less what professionals on the soccer saturday panel commented. He was stiched up by fonte, I wouldnt of expected him to cone flying put and realistically if he did and got it wrong you would no doubt be the first to comment. He came out, faced up and looked big, RVP did a good job squeezing it in.

The cross I think he could've done better but ultimately it was a good cross and good movement that did it.

He isnt the finished article, and at 10m he was probably overpriced but he isnt as bad as the boo boys like yourself make out.

Edited by Smirking_Saint
Getting the games mixed up, cheers whitey

And what level do we need him to be at compared at what we have ? He has made one stupid mistake, the City one, and it could have been a damn sight worse.

Blaming him for the backpass is moronic, and I couldnt care less what professionals on the soccer saturday panel commented. He was stiched up by fonte, I wouldnt of expected him to cone flying put and realistically if he did and got it wrong you would no doubt be the first to comment. He came out, faced up and looked big, RVP did a good job squeezing it in.

The cross I think he could've done better but ultimately it was a good cross and good movement that did it.

He isnt the finished article, and at 10m he was probably overpriced but he isnt as bad as the boo boys lile yourself make out.

'City'?

I presume you mean Villa. Other than that I agree with all you say.

Boruc reminds me of John Burridge- a massive ego but not always the best keeper. Burridge was quickly replaced by Tim Flowers who is arguably our best keeper since Shilton. Sadly Niemi was far too injury prone and never played a full season for us. Forster will only get better. Boruc cost us points in a number of matches last season.

Boruc reminds me of John Burridge- a massive ego but not always the best keeper. Burridge was quickly replaced by Tim Flowers who is arguably our best keeper since Shilton. Sadly Niemi was far too injury prone and never played a full season for us. Forster will only get better. Boruc cost us points in a number of matches last season.

Niemi was superb for us.

Few amazing saves, few dodgy moments (missed punches). Still needs to work on commanding his area.

Yes, he made some good saves, but he does not inspire confidence and his decision making is very suspect.. however, there are far more urgent issues to address than the goalie.

Yes, he made some good saves, but he does not inspire confidence and his decision making is very suspect.. however, there are far more urgent issues to address than the goalie.

makes you wonder what the England goalkeeping coach does with him in training to be honest a big fella like him should be barking orders and being dominant about the area like Shilton used to be .

makes you wonder what the England goalkeeping coach does with him in training to be honest a big fella like him should be barking orders and being dominant about the area like Shilton used to be .

I just cant understand why he hasn't waved his magic wand and turned Forester into the greatest goalkeeper in history.

Fraser Forster just isn't that good, his distribution is all right but the rest of his game sucks, he's nowhere near as bad as gazzanigga but not as good as Boruc overall, they held us for ransom on paying 10 million for him as they knew we had plenty of cash he is a five million rated keeper tops

Fraser Forster just isn't that good, his distribution is all right but the rest of his game sucks, he's nowhere near as bad as gazzanigga but not as good as Boruc overall, they held us for ransom on paying 10 million for him as they knew we had plenty of cash he is a five million rated keeper tops

Not that I'd totally agree with you but let's face it who is as bad as Gazzaniga really!

Well either he's not telling Forster how to be more commanding of his area or Forster just isn't listening. Either way somethings wrong.

Obviously not. We all know how it works is that a coach says to a player, such as a goalkeeper, "you need to be more commanding in your area" They maybe do a session ot two during the week during training and instantly he becomes amazing at that aspect of his game. It works like that for everyone. I'm simply both amazed and disapointed that 16 games into the season of working with him that none of our players have any flaws in their game whatsoever.

This is true. Saints had the money to pay what celtic wanted. No one else would have coughed up that much for him. Good keeper but not worth 10 million

This is true. Saints had the money to pay what celtic wanted. No one else would have coughed up that much for him. Good keeper but not worth 10 million

But then you could apply the same measure to Long,Tadic,Mané,Gardos and even Pelle. We sold players for more than they were worth we bought other players for more than they're worth.....football economics eh.

I just cant understand why he hasn't waved his magic wand and turned Forester into the greatest goalkeeper in history.
well Les would wave his magic wand and do so , so why not a goal keeping coach? Forster should dominate a penalty area with his height and reach. it seems to me that he has lost his confidence completely