Fraser Forster

Kaiser Soze

A poor goal keeper why is he in ahead of Boruc????

He is truly awful...always asleep always stood rooted to his line and never alert to what's going on in the game. Vulnerable to the ball over the top as he's always not watching the game and stood on his line. Some blame must go to the coaches for his continued similar mistakes. Dross watched him a lot now and he is poor.....

This might be harsh but overall i havent seen that he is a 10m keeper so far (one good game at arsenal doesn't make you a good keeper), his main fault is indecision on his line and slowness to get down, not a terrible keeper 100% better than gazziniga and will improve but dont see that hes any better than boruc

One think Forster lacks is any sort of competition whatsoever at Saints.

Silly scenario, need two who are PL capable like Villa, Sunderland, Newcastle, Stoke, Palace, West Brom etc

Apparently gaffer thinks differently and the people who thought Boruc needed competition not agree so does Forster or is it one rule for one player and another for other

Lol, out they come from the woodwork again.

I never went away, even after his MOTM performance V Arsenal. Don't mistake me for a troll or a bed wetter, I was raving about Forster for 2 seasons before we signed him and was absolutely over the moon when we did, but he has been average at absolute best for us. Yes, he's made some fantastic saves - but I saw saves just as incredible when we were in league one. Most keepers have great reflexes, it's the decision making that separates the best from the rest and right now Forster is making all the wrong decisions.

It's perhaps a bit ironic that Boruc threw a paddy and left and would probably be close to getting a chance if he'd stayed.

Forster could maybe have come for that too? If he had backed himself he might well have made it.

His kicking is better than Boruc, but in terms of stopping goals I would have Boruc over him based on what he has shown so far.

Fonte sold him down the river, if you come out at a striker I always found it easier to score unless the keeper catches you with the ball between your feet.

I think its harsh to blame him for the 1st but he definately needed to dominate the cross for the second

Odd to see Forster getting so much sh*t when Fonte let us down big time for the 1st. And what about all of the f@rting around in the box instead of shooting? We could and should have had at least three goals. We are turning into Arsenal up front, trying to walk the ball into the net.

I think Koeman has taken this one a bit too personally in the presser.

I thought Fonte had a good game but a solid performance it always looks a bit worse after such a bad mistake.

Rest of the team good, but I see the Pochettino syndrome of sideways and backwards passing in the final third is still around, and Pelle, Tadic, Mane (starting to doubt him) seem to have caught it way too easily!

How do you work that out? Assuming you are saying he would have saved from Fonte's mistake the rest of the match would have been totally different.

Re. first goal Carragher saying that Forster could have done better -that he hesitated when he should have come out to RVP and made himself bigger.

We've had all this talk of Forster making the odd mistake and perhaps starting slowly, mixed in with praise for the odd good game (that more-or-less any keeper can have, including Gazzaniga) as well as the odd non-sequitur deflections talking about other players.

The cold hard truth is that he just isn't very good.

I'm not blaming him.

I don't think he's playing within his ability or isn't trying his best.

Its just that his best is very mediocre.

We're in December now, he's had plenty of saveable shots go his way that he's let in; he's had plenty of chances to claim a ball in from a goal kick or corner. He's had plenty of chances to prove that the hesitation and mad charge off his line at Villa was a one-off.

He just isn't that great.

Boruc, the odd calamity aside, was (I think a superior), but at least an equal level of shotstopper and most certainly could communicate with the back four better and was infinitely, infinitely better in the air.

Forster just isn't that good.

A poor goal keeper why is he in ahead of Boruc????

He is truly awful...always asleep always stood rooted to his line and never alert to what's going on in the game. Vulnerable to the ball over the top as he's always not watching the game and stood on his line. Some blame must go to the coaches for his continued similar mistakes. Dross watched him a lot now and he is poor.....

Did you post similar after the Arsenal game? Aren't you embarrassed making yourself look a tw at? Then again you are probably the sort that were on Pelle's back from the start.

We've had all this talk of Forster making the odd mistake and perhaps starting slowly, mixed in with praise for the odd good game (that more-or-less any keeper can have, including Gazzaniga) as well as the odd non-sequitur deflections talking about other players.

The cold hard truth is that he just isn't very good.

I'm not blaming him.

I'd like Artur back in goal, he may have the odd brain fart but he controls his area and projects a lot more confidence and authority that rubs of on the defence.

Fraser looks like a good shot stopper but he's too timid for me, he's got to boss his area - get off his line and cut out opposition opportunities before they even start.

IMO Artur would have come out for the first goal last night and made RVP's chance a lot harder and would have gobbled up the second before RVP even had the chance.

He's miles better at knowing when to get off his line and snuff out opportunities before they even happen.

I think Koeman has taken this one a bit too personally in the presser.

Really? I took it more as the sign of a winner, who saw blood, but didn't see his team take the opportunity. Of the three games, it as the one we could have won. I like the fact he's angry, and he's going to instil more winning mentality in the players.

Lets hope the fans do not turn on FF. I hope RK has a word with our goalkeeping coach and spends a week on FF dealing with positioning to sweep a long ball. His starting position is far too deep.

Apart from that decision making FF is a decent keeper

Forster is a good keeper. His indecision however is an apparent weakness and cost us both goals last night. I couldn't help think about Peter Schmeichel last night and how he used to charge off of his line and scare the cr@p out of forwards, even if he was second favourite for the ball. Fraser is a massive guy. He needs to make the most of it.

Forster is a good keeper. His indecision however is an apparent weakness and cost us both goals last night. I couldn't help think about Peter Schmeichel last night and how he used to charge off of his line and scare the cr@p out of forwards, even if he was second favourite for the ball. Fraser is a massive guy. He needs to make the most of it.

Fonte was the cause of the first goal - Forster should have never been put in that position - if he hesitated it was probably because he didn't expect Fonte to be such a pillock

Lets hope the fans do not turn on FF. I hope RK has a word with our goalkeeping coach and spends a week on FF dealing with positioning to sweep a long ball. His starting position is far too deep.

Apart from that decision making FF is a decent keeper

Surely they already spend a fair amount of time working on that?

Forster should have done better but where was the marking? You cant just assume the keeper is going to deal with that ball and leave a player of Van Persie's class free at the far post.

I haven't seen it again but my recollection is that there were a couple of others free round the back with RVP.

John Boy Saint makes a good point about the led floodlights. That cross went very high before dropping beyond the far post and the glare may have dazzled some of them.

I haven't seen it again but my recollection is that there were a couple of others free round the back with RVP.

John Boy Saint makes a good point about the led floodlights. That cross went very high before dropping beyond the far post and the glare may have dazzled some of them.

There were two or three players free Whitey.

Fonte was the cause of the first goal - Forster should have never been put in that position - if he hesitated it was probably because he didn't expect Fonte to be such a pillock

There's your problem right there – he’s currently got a problem with a combination of concentration/anticipation which puts his decision-making under-pressure and he is having to re-act to events rather than be pro-active and manage himself, his defence, his own space and the oppo players too (if he did those things more pro-actively he would find his concentration levels naturally improving). A top line keeper must expect the unexpected - 'what if?' scenarios if you will. 'He didn't expect Fonte to be a pillock' wouldn't stand up as an excuse in an u13 Sunday team.

Fonte receives the ball, there isn’t much on, Fonte takes an extra touch and closes off his options, RVP is lurking clear of the CB’s and close to the line of any putative back pass - Forster needs to get active much quicker - get wide right to receive the ball from Fonte and take RVP out of the equation, or shout Fonte to get rid into touch, or shout Fonte that RVP is behind him etc. Worst case scenario – (What if….?) Fonte slips/miskicks/brain farts and the ball is played back down the line of RVP (which is exactly what happened) - Forster needs to know what he is going to do BEFORE this happens ... which parts of the pitch can he reach first? where is it 50/50? what will he do if the ball is played into that contested area? which areas of the pitch can RVP receive the ball unopposed? what will he do if that happens? etc etc. He has to make all these decisions BEFORE the event happens; his starting positions, his (lack of) anticipation, his re-acting to events, shows you this isn't happening. Once RVP received that ball unopposed, and Forster then made his little hesitation/indecision the moment where he may have prevented the goal was lost and it was pretty much a formality for RVP to walk it through/round/under/past him.

Ditto the second goal, he had no 'plan' to deal with the scenario that unfurled, he stands passively in his goal and is then nut-megged from 3 yds - Gazza or Davis would be getting absolute pelters on here for that level of performance. We all want Forster to do well, unfortunately at the moment he’s coming up a little bit short of the standard required. Not sure where we go from here? There’s no viable alternative to give him a break at the moment so guess we will have to keep backing him while he learns on the job but he is a long way from the finished article at the moment.

Forster is becoming this seasons scapegoat then. He is still young for a keeper and will get better. Boruc was getting on and people seem to forget some of his clangers last season.

The Villa goal seems to have dented his confidence. This is his first competitive season in the PL and he is only 26 (8 years younger than Boruc) and with more PL experience he'll get better and better. Still a great signing in my books.

There's your problem right there – he’s currently got a problem with a combination of concentration/anticipation which puts his decision-making under-pressure and he is having to re-act to events rather than be pro-active and manage himself, his defence, his own space and the oppo players too (if he did those things more pro-actively he would find his concentration levels naturally improving). A top line keeper must expect the unexpected - 'what if?' scenarios if you will. 'He didn't expect Fonte to be a pillock' wouldn't stand up as an excuse in an u13 Sunday team.

Fonte receives the ball, there isn’t much on, Fonte takes an extra touch and closes off his options, RVP is lurking clear of the CB’s and close to the line of any putative back pass - Forster needs to get active much quicker - get wide right to receive the ball from Fonte and take RVP out of the equation, or shout Fonte to get rid into touch, or shout Fonte that RVP is behind him etc. Worst case scenario – (What if….?) Fonte slips/miskicks/brain farts and the ball is played back down the line of RVP (which is exactly what happened) - Forster needs to know what he is going to do BEFORE this happens ... which parts of the pitch can he reach first? where is it 50/50? what will he do if the ball is played into that contested area? which areas of the pitch can RVP receive the ball unopposed? what will he do if that happens? etc etc. He has to make all these decisions BEFORE the event happens; his starting positions, his (lack of) anticipation, his re-acting to events, shows you this isn't happening. Once RVP received that ball unopposed, and Forster then made his little hesitation/indecision the moment where he may have prevented the goal was lost and it was pretty much a formality for RVP to walk it through/round/under/past him.

Ditto the second goal, he had no 'plan' to deal with the scenario that unfurled, he stands passively in his goal and is then nut-megged from 3 yds - Gazza or Davis would be getting absolute pelters on here for that level of performance. We all want Forster to do well, unfortunately at the moment he’s coming up a little bit short of the standard required. Not sure where we go from here? There’s no viable alternative to give him a break at the moment so guess we will have to keep backing him while he learns on the job but he is a long way from the finished article at the moment.

You cannot possibly blame Forster for the first, that was entirely down to José.

Should have done better with the second, but Van Persie was UNMARKED. That was the biggest issue.

Exactly, it looked like Wanyama started tracking him and gave up, and the 'tater suggested he was actually Bertrand's target, and he'd stayed out holding a high line.