Saints vs Everton build-up

trousers

Southampton FC @SouthamptonFC · 17m 17 minutes ago

Koeman says Dušan Tadić is out of Saturday's game, while Steven Davis and @GPelle19 are doubtful. #saintsfc

Pelle looks perfectly fine in the training pics today, his hair is almost perfect. Davis is in just one of the pics, but it doesn't look like he was fully participating. He can be seen pulling on a tracker bib so he must at least be running I would guess.

Pay me £40k a week and I guarantee you will never see me moan about being tired.

You train for a few hours everyday and have to run around for 90 mins on a Saturday.....with the best facilities at your disposal,I cant get my head round this "burn out " that you hear all the time.

You might not moan, but I bet you would look completely ****ged after 10 minutes (of warming up). Unlike little Raheem, I don't think anyone has complained of being tired, but it has been clear for a few weeks that Tadic needs a break (in fact he has looked shattered ever since the Albanian drone fiasco). Without more options we have no way of giving players a rest, at least the international breaks used to be good for something, and getting knocked out of the League Cup early at least means less games in the run-up to the Christmas/New Year fixture congestion, whereas the ultimately fruitless task of making t to the QF has made things even worse this season.

Edited by VectisSaint

I think we will put out the following side:

Forster

Clyne Fonte Maya Bernard

JWP Alderweireld

Davis

Long Pelle Mane

Bench of: Davis, McCarthy, Targett, Reed, McQueen, Mayuka, Seagar

Thats the best starting XI from what is available.

Most Championship sides will have a better bench this weekend though.

I think we will put out the following side:

Forster

Clyne Fonte Maya Bernard

JWP Alderweireld

Davis

Long Pelle Mane

Bench of: Davis, McCarthy, Targett, Reed, McQueen, Mayuka, Seagar

Can't see Bernard coming out of retirement to fill in for Bertrand. Is he injured too?

RK says Reed will probably start on Saturday.

More quotes from the OS

Harry was always in my mind to play because he is a midfielder, but I had some particular reasons to put Toby Alderweireld in against Manchester City and the same against Arsenal.

But Harry is one of the squad, he is a young player and needs a chance to show his qualities. He will probably start this Saturday.

Read more at http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/news/article/20141218-talking-points-ronald-koeman-pre-everton-home-2152547.aspx#dY1V7x8VceQuixDK.99

Edited by Bewildered

Prepare for a mega-meltdown. This one could be embarrassing - Hull style. If we get a draw, I will see that as a decent result to stop the rot.

Why will it be embarrassing? we have lost most of starting eleven and some of better replacement players to injury/suspension so everyone is expecting a tonking from a decent PL outfit

Pay me £40k a week and I guarantee you will never see me moan about being tired.

You train for a few hours everyday and have to run around for 90 mins on a Saturday.....with the best facilities at your disposal,I cant get my head round this "burn out " that you hear all the time.

Amen brother!!

I think it will be a good game tomorrow. We need big Pelle to drag us back up to the level we were at a few weeks ago.

The young lads coming in will add bundles of enthusiasm to go a long with their emerging talent.

Sure we are missing key senior players but one or two others need to take their chance here to step up. It's as simple as that.

Everton were good value for their win on Monday night but I thought the score line flattered them a touch. They are a very good side but I thought QPR gave as good as they got.

A restorative score draw for me and a coming of age of a couple of the nippers.

Ronald says he had his specific reasons...so there, that certainly told us now didn't it.

What do you want him to say, "Reed is rubbish at stopping counter-attacks so I couldn't play him."? Maybe there's a reason he doesn't want to say why he didn't play him?

What do you want him to say, "Reed is rubbish at stopping counter-attacks so I couldn't play him."? Maybe there's a reason he doesn't want to say why he didn't play him?

You seem remarkably well informed this morning Richard, in fact you're on fire, first the bombshell that Mané only cost 4 million £ instead of the 10 million that most accepted as the transfer fee and now that HR has might have serious technical fault and is unplayable in certain circumstances...could well believe you on both counts, Mané looks like a 4 million £ player and Reed, well I guess we might find out tomorrow.

Hope over expectation here, but it is true that sides with loads of replacements have pulled off surprise wins. I did think this a lot when Wotte et al were in charge, however. Anyway, onwards and upwards, come on Saints!

Ah yes Wolves in about 2006 springs to mind. Trouble is Everton are a side stuffed with quality players and they are beginning to find their feet after a difficult start to the season. We can always hope for another Toffees off day though.

Have faith ye of little optimism.Lawro has 'predicted' a 2-1 win for Saints.

I,for once, believe this is possible.

that just makes no sense what so ever

how on earth can a pundit predict a win for us and back it up with reason when we will have so many first team players missing?

Having had some very limited exposure to this kind of thing, I can comfortably say that even though playing football is probably the thing I like best in the entire universe, playing football all the time and training is REALLY BLOODY BORING. I can't imagine how mind-numbingly mundane it must be to do that every day, especially for creative players or those who who thrive on the excitement of match day.

Lukaku didn't give Maya the runaround it was Hoiveld.

Oh I assure you he gave the entire defence the runaround, but it was Yoshida's total inability to read high balls when we were basically only defending with the 2 CBs and with the FBs 20 yards up the pitch which was the problem. He goes under almost every header.

Having had some very limited exposure to this kind of thing, I can comfortably say that even though playing football is probably the thing I like best in the entire universe, playing football all the time and training is REALLY BLOODY BORING. I can't imagine how mind-numbingly mundane it must be to do that every day, especially for creative players or those who who thrive on the excitement of match day.

Filling a skip with 8 tonne of rubble is boring but if i was being paid 40 grand a week i would whistle tunes and wear a tutu.

I honestly think i'd cope ok.

So did I, but I was sick of it within about a week. I think it's more about knowing you have to, rather than just doing it because you want to, which is pretty much the rest of my footballing life, when I used to play basically every night anyway.

Admittedly for forty grand you'd lump it, but again, the point here is about playing at maximum capacity, stuff like that is going to have an effect - it's basically where the "second season syndrome" comes from. Initially it's exciting, it pretty soon gets routine.

But don't they only do it for half a day? They seem to spend half their time on the golf course or playing computer games.

I don’t really think it is a week bench, more an inexperienced one. Certainly there is a lot of talent and potential that needs to be given a chance to impress in the likes of McQueen, Reed, Isgrove e.t.c.

I haven’t seen the Sheffield game but on the radio commentary it sounded that Isgrove injected some life into the second half performance and I would like to see him start if Tadic is out.

I also don’t see the idea of playing Toby in midfield as a good one. We always look a poorer side when he is not in defence so keep him there and give Reed is long awaited chance in midfield. If Pelle, Tadic and Davis are all out my team would be:

Forster

Clyne, Toby, Fonte, Targett

Ward-Prowse, Reed, Bertrand

Isgrove, Long, Mane

Davies, Yoshida, Hesketh (if fit), McQueen, McCarthy, Mayuka, Seager

I couldn't agree less.

After the annoyance of a feeble performance on Tuesday, compounded by the miserable drive home in the rain, then listening to the Koeman interviews about whos out and injured, my view on this game has become less grim. We will put out a team, if we compete that's half the battle, on paper with such a decimated squad it could get painful................... but lurking in the back of my mind is a game against Leeds a good few years ago their talisman of a keeper at the time was out and they had to play some very little known nipper called John Lukic and most folks were of the thought "We can win this, especially with a novice in goal" but we lost mainly down to 18-19 year nipper only leaking 1 goal.

Having seen how cool our nippers are anything can happen; As Greavesie often said "Its a funny old game".

I don’t really think it is a week bench, more an inexperienced one. Certainly there is a lot of talent and potential that needs to be given a chance to impress in the likes of McQueen, Reed, Isgrove e.t.c.

I haven’t seen the Sheffield game but on the radio commentary it sounded that Isgrove injected some life into the second half performance and I would like to see him start if Tadic is out.

I also don’t see the idea of playing Toby in midfield as a good one. We always look a poorer side when he is not in defence so keep him there and give Reed is long awaited chance in midfield. If Pelle, Tadic and Davis are all out my team would be:

Forster

Clyne, Toby, Fonte, Targett

Ward-Prowse, Reed, Bertrand

Isgrove, Long, Mane

Davies, Yoshida, Hesketh (if fit), McQueen, McCarthy, Mayuka, Seager

Is Pelle not back? Surely it was only a one match ban??

If we really have one of the beard academies in world football

We should be able to bring Reed in and he should be playing well enough to make a claim to stay in

Quoted for fun, and to ensure the edit function doesn't ruin it.

So what you're saying is that Koeman's leaving Reed out because he can't grow a decent beard?

What a hypocrite.