Jack Cork Finally Offered New Contract

Andy Durman

Bloody hell fire. I like Jack but £40 grand a week? Why the feck is he deliberating? I doubt he'd get that elsewhere

TBH I doubt it is the money. I get the feeling that he'd just about given up on being offered a new contract and therefore felt that he was not wanted/excess to requirements and already decided his career lies elsewhere.

I bet we haven't offered him 40K a week, there are good players on less at SMS. On the other hand if he has one of these rumoured CL qualification bonus clauses in his contract it may well be in the club's interest to get him to sign it away for a higher monthly stipend.

Edited by Window Cleaner

I think you'll find Cortese nearly messed that one up. Tried bullying him into signing, playing hardball and generally being a bit of a knob. I believe he threw Corks agent out of the meeting, luckily Les was about to smooth things over.

And you've got just as much evidence for that as Tamesaint has for his theory, i.e none at all.

I think a lot of this comes down to Les Reed not rating Jack that highly. Back in the summer I posted something I'd heard from a very credible source that I think got lost in the endless "x player is leaving" threads. Basically not only had Palace had a bid accepted for Cork but he was almost on his way to London when Koeman stepped in and said no way.

It would be a shame if he left as I think he's a very good player, and we'll miss him more if Morgan goes. But as people have said he could potentially block the fabled 'pathway' to the first team for some youngsters, and he could be playing every game elsewhere.

I think a lot of this comes down to Les Reed not rating Jack that highly. Back in the summer I posted something I'd heard from a very credible source that I think got lost in the endless "x player is leaving" threads. Basically not only had Palace had a bid accepted for Cork but he was almost on his way to London when Koeman stepped in and said no way.

It would be a shame if he left as I think he's a very good player, and we'll miss him more if Morgan goes. But as people have said he could potentially block the fabled 'pathway' to the first team for some youngsters, and he could be playing every game elsewhere.

You seem a very knowledgable chap . How about £6 million turned down and then no contract offer followed until now . Bizarre really as Cork now goes for nothing in June. Whether or not Les Reed fancied JC or not somebody has just dropped a £6 million bollock.

Can't imagine Jack will get a better deal anywhere and if he sees his future here as a bench-warmer that says more about Jack than anybody else. Sign the deal, get your head down and work your ars,e off lad, the rest is easy and we all love ya so what's not to like. Ryan is a great example about what a Chelsea outcast can achieve so follow his lead. Morgan, smorgan... victor, svictor... who's worried about them.

Not sure how it works, but think clubs take signing on fee and wages as a package. Say JC is realistically a £4m signing on £40k, clubs might as well sign him on a free, pay £40k PW and £3m and effectively still be £1m ahead. That £3m on a typical 4 year contract is £750k a year or about £15k a week, or the equiv of a free transfer and £55k a week pay - if that makes any sense!

I've long thought Jack's future at the club is intertwined with that of Morgan, Bertrand and one or two others. I'm sure he'd sign sooner if Bertrand's loan was made a long term contract. If Koeman can't wait, why does he leave others waiting.

I'm sure he'd sign sooner if Bertrand's loan was made a long term contract

A very astute observation, Art. I also think Cork has been waiting for the new moon, so leaving the Bertrand situation to one side, now would seem a good time to make his decision :thumbup:

You're right. All the alleged hesitancy over contracts like Nat & Jack must hinge on recollections of what happened here last summer and probably the future of Ronald himself. For me the key would be Toby, if he signs it would be a certain signal that he believes Ronald will still be here next year, after him the rest should fall neatly into place with Nat signing and Ryan signing on permanently. I'd even stick my neck out and predict that if Toby stays, Morgan will stay as well especially if we make the CL.

Koeman: "We want to know Jack Cork's decision next week. If he wants to move then we need another midfield player"

This is actually only part of what Ron said. He also said as part of the same answer "If Jack like to stay I am very happy". He also said they would like to know his decision next week, there is a difference, maybe subtle between liking to know and wanting to know. Of course they would like to know, planning for next season is bound to be well underway by now, its not unreasonable for the club to want to know Jack's intentions. I can only guess that Jack has a serious offer from one or more clubs, he isn't going to turn down a new contract unless he has some viable alternative.

You seem a very knowledgable chap . How about £6 million turned down and then no contract offer followed until now . Bizarre really as Cork now goes for nothing in June. Whether or not Les Reed fancied JC or not somebody has just dropped a £6 million bollock.

Less any costs had he signed new contract :fees, increased wages . yes ideally have players on contracts of just right length to keep them here unless fee paid, but risk of offering longer/more expensive contracts to players we want to replace but get stuck with.

Hope he stays but would he be an obvious choice over any of these (roughly in order)

Schneiderlin

Wanyama

JWP

Davis

Tadic

Elia

Mane

Reed

Cork

I appreciate some of those undertake different role but think first four names offer more.

I think you'll find Cortese nearly messed that one up. Tried bullying him into signing, playing hardball and generally being a bit of a knob. I believe he threw Corks agent out of the meeting, luckily Les was about to smooth things over.

I also have it on good authority that Cortese did nothing for this club whatsoever, ruined it actually. God, imagine where we'd be if he hadn't had done such an awful job, I, like you Turkey Boy, dread to think!

This is actually only part of what Ron said. He also said as part of the same answer "If Jack like to stay I am very happy". He also said they would like to know his decision next week, there is a difference, maybe subtle between liking to know and wanting to know. Of course they would like to know, planning for next season is bound to be well underway by now, its not unreasonable for the club to want to know Jack's intentions. I can only guess that Jack has a serious offer from one or more clubs, he isn't going to turn down a new contract unless he has some viable alternative.

It cuts both ways I guess. We weren't exactly quick off the mark to make him an offer and he's taking his time to review the offer and his options.

I also have it on good authority that Cortese did nothing for this club whatsoever, ruined it actually. God, imagine where we'd be if he hadn't had done such an awful job, I, like you Turkey Boy, dread to think!

Now you are just being silly. But be honest. The Don was hardly the Second Coming was he?

When everyone is fit would he be confident of making the bench?

For example, he won't get near Wanyama and Schneiderlin for the two defensive roles.

Hard to say the advanced three as will depend on form and opposition but, for example Tadic, JWP and Elia. Then the bench maybe gk, two from Targett, Gardos and Yoshida. Leaves two from Steve Davis, Shane Long, Mane, Harrison Reed, other young players and Cork.

I don't think he would be in my everyone fit / in form 15.

However, everyone won't be fit, there maybe long term injuries, we maybe in Europe, he is a reliable player so hopefully he stays.

I wouldn't criticise him for going, tbh he possibly should - we would be quick to moan about a player leaving us to be reserve player at Man U.

I don't think he is being offered a contract to cover future departures - as this would be conscious weakening of the squad.

I hope Jack signs a new contract as he is a great playeer. He will not be first choice in the midfield but he will regularly get a game because of injuries, international commitments etc. His dilemma will be to stay with us and perhaps win medals and play in Europe or go elsewhere, play every game and win nothing. I do not think the money is his complete choice.

Cortese did a lot of good but he wasn't the greatest man who ever lived like some people seem to think. He had many, many flaws, not least of all his ego and the fact he was a bully boy. That's the problem with people of low intellect, they see things as black and white, cannot praise when possible and criticise when nessasary, if you dont worship them you hate them. It's troubling that men on this forum, grown men seem so obsessed with a man in a sharp suit that they cannot bring themselves to criticise or accept any critiicsm of their hero. That are that obsessed with someone that doesn't even know they exist and if he were to even meet them would no doubt think they were a complete helmet anyway.

Cortese did a lot of good but he wasn't the greatest man who ever lived like some people seem to think. He had many, many flaws, not least of all his ego and the fact he was a bully boy. That's the problem with people of low intellect, they see things as black and white, cannot praise when possible and criticise when nessasary, if you dont worship them you hate them. It's troubling that men on this forum, grown men seem so obsessed with a man in a sharp suit that they cannot bring themselves to criticise or accept any critiicsm of their hero. That are that obsessed with someone that doesn't even know they exist and if he were to even meet them would no doubt think they were a complete helmet anyway.

Well said, but to be fair, that probably applies to a lot of posters on here :eek:

I don't know whether he had a low intellect or not, but he certainly displayed many traits of a narcissistic personality disorder.

One of your better posts although you were being a tad kind to Cortese, this is the man who in his final weeks at the club threw a lot of our valuable historical memorabilia into a skip - including the beautiful copperplate minute books that went back to 1898.

Always love the "Cortese did a lot of good but..." posts like the dodgy small print or disclaimer from a loan shark or an ambulance chaser. Almost always get lost in what ultimately is a rant against the man.

The c**t's gone. Move on. The thread's about Jack Cork.

Edited by shurlock

Ronald is right. JC needs to make a decision quickly. JC is not first choice as a screening midfielder as Victor and Morgan do the job better. But he does add some value as a back up but not against Palace...

I think we should let him go if he wants to play hard ball on money. I'm sure teams like QPR, Sunderland, Hull and Aston Villa would take him and pay the out of contract additional wages. So he will do okay but is that what he wants?

Edited by TopGun

He was very poor yesterday - quite hopeless actually.

he has played 45 mins of an U21 match and a few minutes against Ipswich since what ? End of Nov/early Dec ?

You can't come straight back in after a six week layoff and carry on where you left off from.

Doesnt make him a bad player having a bad hour, he wasn't alone yesterday.

Thats why it amazes me that some people think Jay Rod will be back and firing on all cylinders for the end of the season. He simply won't be, the longer a player is out the worse it is for them coming back into form.

One of your better posts although you were being a tad kind to Cortese, this is the man who in his final weeks at the club threw a lot of our valuable historical memorabilia into a skip - including the beautiful copperplate minute books that went back to 1898.

Without hi jacking this thread (no pun intended), did all the stuff he threw into a skip get saved or is there no way of knowing ?

Whilst I accept he was coming back from injury his performance yesterday was awful. He is now well down the pecking order and with a fully fit squad is unlikely to make the bench. I think he will reject the contract offer and leave.

Did a great job for us in the Championship and first season in the Premiership but we have improved and he is not quite good enough for us now. I am a little surprised that we have offered him a new contract. I understand he is keen on a move to Palace.

i seem to remember Cork having a poor game, I think last season, after a long lay-off. Don't judge him on one performance, he's a decent player.

I think it was villa at home? Would be happy for him to sign on again but I think he will have been disappointed in the last minute offer and will fancy a nice big signing on fee for someone else in the summer!