Badly need another Striker

Saint Charlie

Wonder if he sees Elia and Mane as more than capable forwards. Chelsea have done well without forwards scoring in the past.

An attacking four of

Tadic, JWP, Mane

Elia

Could work well.

Its balance of enough players for injuries but not ridiculous amount when all fit (why was bit surprised Cork offered contract when we are linked to potentially better players).

Are they expecting JRod to be part of the squad? If so , Pelle, Long, JRod, Mane, Elia, Tadic, JWP (as think his best position could be just behind a forward) plus under 21 is a decent attacking squad.

Long and Jay Rod aren't part of the squad (thats the whole issue) and Koeman made a big thing of Elia being a left winger when he joined and that he had suffered at Bremen being played out of position.

Pretty clear we need another proper striker. Failure to get one is up there with any of Arsenal's wacky policies on buying for every area other than the ones they need. IMO.

Long and Jay Rod aren't part of the squad (thats the whole issue) and Koeman made a big thing of Elia being a left winger when he joined and that he had suffered at Bremen being played out of position.

Pretty clear we need another proper striker. Failure to get one is up there with any of Arsenal's wacky policies on buying for every area other than the ones they need. IMO.

We need to be careful though. We need a striker as backup, so it's going to be a player on loan. But how many established players go out on loan to be backup - it goes against the principle of going on loan for them. So then that leads you down the 'loan a prospect from a better club so they get more of a chance of first team football' route. But then you aren't loaning a known quantity that will definitely do a job for you.

I can see why the club may want to sit tight and manage Pelle's fitness closely. If the opportunity arises to bring someone in then of course it makes sense but I don't think that circumstance will present itself personally.

Not sure when Gallagher is back either.

It's all very well stating we need a ST,but the way we set up we need a "target man" that can hold the ball up and bring others into play......I can't think of anyone available that would do that job apart from SRL and that's not happening.

And also someone who doesn't demand to start every game as Pelle is first choice,someone will only move if they are going to get regular game time not just move from one bench to another

You spent all summer acting like a clueless c**t and you're at it again.

Clubs like ours just don't go out & buy "another proper striker" in January and any decent player isn't going to be released by a club because, believe it or not, they want to keep them simply because they are a "proper striker".

We do need a striker but given we have several experienced strikers not playing for us one way or another (Osvaldo, Rodriguez, Long, Gallagher) it's a shame to think we have five strikers and only one can play right now. Not sure there's a point here, just seems crazy that 3 are out injured and the other one is in exile.

Clubs like ours just don't go out & buy "another proper striker" in January and any decent player isn't going to be released by a club because, believe it or not, they want to keep them simply because they are a "proper striker".

:lol::lol::lol:

So your argument is we need to sign player permanently to cover Long and JRod who could both be playing in just few weeks?

That's the sort of planning that leads to a bloated squad, big wage bill and bad team spirit.

Need to plan to cover reasonable injury levels but also ve aware of squad size when all are fit.

No idea situation with JRod but expect Koeman has.....

So your argument is we need to sign player permanently to cover Long and JRod who could both be playing in just few weeks?

That's the sort of planning that leads to a bloated squad, big wage bill and bad team spirit.

Need to plan to cover reasonable injury levels but also ve aware of squad size when all are fit.

If we had an oppurtunity to improve on Pellè I would do it as I have no major confidence in Jay Rod or Long covering Pellès abscence for any stretch of time

We don't need to buy one. We surely could loan a no9 type player so if Pelle gets injured we aren't totally screwed. All our other forwards are totally different players.

Not sure what is so clueless about that?

Again, nothing about needing to commit to buying, a loan til end of season would do.

Third in PL, there must be someone, somewhere who is keen to get some game time in a decent league/team?

Wonder if he sees Elia and Mane as more than capable forwards. Chelsea have done well without forwards scoring in the past.

An attacking four of

Tadic, JWP, Mane

Elia

Could work well.

Its balance of enough players for injuries but not ridiculous amount when all fit (why was bit surprised Cork offered contract when we are linked to potentially better players).

Are they expecting JRod to be part of the squad? If so , Pelle, Long, JRod, Mane, Elia, Tadic, JWP (as think his best position could be just behind a forward) plus under 21 is a decent attacking squad.

They're completely different from Pelle who complements our willingness to be direct. Whenever we've gone with a pacier option up top, we've struggled and not played to their strengths (Long's appearances as a lone striker being an example).

I'd be very surprised if the club were not looking for a striker on loan as backup for Pelle, but obviously it's easier said than done finding one that fits our requirements. It would be mighty frustrating if we missed out by a few points following an injury to Pelle in the latter stages of the season.

Because a club is going to loan us a "proper striker" just like that.

Clueless.

"Proper" as in a no9 type.

Im sure someone somewhere in the world has a striker they don't need, or who needs a change of scene.

Afterall, someone loaned us a decent winger they didn't need.

Of course the better team you are the harder it is to find players good enough to make an impact but its not impossible, surely?

Im sure someone somewhere in the world has a striker they don't need, or who needs a change of scene.

Of course the better team you are the harder it is to find players good enough to make an impact but its not impossible, surely?

Mario-Balotelli-main.jpg

At the beginning of the season I really worried where the goals would come from. Pelle has scored a fair few but it seems as though people are afraid to admit that he misses a lot of chances (Arsenal away in the league being a prime example) as well. Mane will be back soon but I'd really like to see another striker in before the end of the window- sadly I can't see it happening now.

Makes sense to me, even if it means paying a hefty loan fee or wages. We've been bloody lucky Pelle has lasted this long without injury and I can't see anyone being able to play his role, especially now Long is crocked.

Makes sense to me, even if it means paying a hefty loan fee or wages. We've been bloody lucky Pelle has lasted this long without injury and I can't see anyone being able to play his role, especially now Long is crocked.

Careful, you will get called a "clueless c**t" by an internet warrior in a minute. ;)

Careful, you will get called a "clueless c**t" by an internet warrior in a minute. ;)

I'd happy call you a clueless c**t to your face.

So, who is a "proper striker", good enough to help is sustain a top 4 place, who is out of favour/dropped by a club who we can get on loan?

It's alright bleating on about how it's needed, the whole f**king world can see it's needed, but who? You bleat on as if the club can just ask nicely and AN Club will let us take a player.

So, who is a "proper striker", good enough to help is sustain a top 4 place, who is out of favour/dropped by a club who we can get on loan?

It's alright bleating on about how it's needed, the whole f**king world can see it's needed, but who? You bleat on as if the club can just ask nicely and AN Club will let us take a player.

If it happens at all, I'd guess it will be someone we've never heard of, like most of the players who've come in this season.

I don't know whether or not big Ron and the management are looking to buy or loan in during this window, but you have to say that we'd look a pretty good prospect to any player looking for a move. 3rd in the prem, chance of CL, etc...

We are so reliant on Pelle now.

I think Saints should have sold two types of tickets in the Xmas period and Jan transfer window.

The "You are okay relying on Pelle?" tickets - at the current price.

And - as another option - the "We must sign another centre forward now" tickets. Exactly the same seat, but an extra tenner on the price.

If we had manage to sell 150,000 tickets in the latter category, we would now have an extra £1.5m to buy us a world class striker....

Edited by SaintBobby

The question of who is for the club not the fans.

The key point is we need a striker which if the "whole f**king world can see" then I'm not sure what your problem is?

Ive said we need a striker, sorry I haven't suggested any. There is little point because I don't know who Koeman knows and who we have scouted. Nobody on here mentioned Elia before the press linked him.

In anycase it looks like we are going with what we have so maybe no no9 type strikers are available anywhere in the world. Fair enough.

And no need for all the "c**t" stuff, its just debating football.

Take a valium man and chill.

I personally think we could be missing on an opportunity to capitalise on frankly the best position we are ever gonna be in on reaching top 4. Granted it is very difficult to get a new CF in January but there are players out there. This could be the difference of the club going up a level and is worth the gamble IMO.

If Pelle got injured it would be like the days of when Lambert was injured during the Championship season. He also needs a break sometimes and during Palace with that other CF option you would have subbed him to change things up. Pelle has to play 90 minutes every game virtually because of the lack of options.

We need the Billy Sharp effect like the Championship promotion to steer us over the finish line.

The question of who is for the club not the fans.

The key point is we need a striker which if the "whole f**king world can see" then I'm not sure what your problem is?

Ive said we need a striker, sorry I haven't suggested any. There is little point because I don't know who Koeman knows and who we have scouted. Nobody on here mentioned Elia before the press linked him.

In anycase it looks like we are going with what we have so maybe no no9 type strikers are available anywhere in the world. Fair enough.

And no need for all the "c**t" stuff, its just debating football.

Think comes down to what you mean by "badly need"?

The current squad, which I guess you said was weak and would struggle towards the bottom, is after 60% of season in top four. If you go back to start of season what would you have said we would have needed to be top 4 after 60% of season?

The clubs definition of need is probably very different to yours, and yours is probably more of a want.

We now have proven forward players in Mane and Pelle. We have recently added Elia. Albeit lost Long for a few weeks.

What I don't know and is huge impact on what we need is JRod's fitness and the standard of young players.

Yes we could do with another forward, but it will mean players such as Long, Seager may fail to make the bench.

I don't get the big issue with us not having another Pelle, how many clubs have one, let alone two like him? There are plenty of other ways to attack if he is injured... Newcastle goals for example.

Think comes down to what you mean by "badly need"?

The current squad, which I guess you said was weak and would struggle towards the bottom, is after 60% of season in top four. If you go back to start of season what would you have said we would have needed to be top 4 after 60% of season?

The clubs definition of need is probably very different to yours, and yours is probably more of a want.

We now have proven forward players in Mane and Pelle. We have recently added Elia. Albeit lost Long for a few weeks.

What I don't know and is huge impact on what we need is JRod's fitness and the standard of young players.

Yes we could do with another forward, but it will mean players such as Long, Seager may fail to make the bench.

I don't get the big issue with us not having another Pelle, how many clubs have one, let alone two like him? There are plenty of other ways to attack if he is injured... Newcastle goals for example.

Pelle was vital to the attack during the Newcastle game and setup the first goal.

Mane and Elia are not central strikers. Long is injured, Jay Rod is injured and Seager totally unproven.

Look, if we don't get a striker, nothing disasterous will happen, we aren't going to get relegated and it will still be a great season.

However, we will never have a better chance than this to do something really special in the league and without question we are short in the central striker role.

Sure even NickG can't disagree with any of that?

How many of us don't bother with house insurance because we are non-smokers and always lock our front door properly?...or don't have the best car insurance (or any at all :scared:)because we drive carefully?

None, I hope but **** happens in this World and if we have no other choice / cover/ alternative to Pelle, we are taking a real chance. OK (some say) we won't get relegated, but surely we will never have a better chance to get into a Euro .competition than we have now. 16 games to go and if we blow it now ......we'll just end up looking mugs !

We all know the "predicted" return dates for those on the injured list (and whose to say they will come back playing at their best and 100% fit). Long will be out 4-6 weeks minimum and JayRod is well past his predicted return date last December), and the worst prognosis ..maybe not at all this season-who knows?.....and all because we are relying on Pelle, not getting injured, or sick..or suspended !

Get a striker in NOW Les, a journeyman / loan ..whatever the insurance we need to get over the line in May...if we miss that it'll go down in our history along with the infamous Wayman injury in 1949.

We shouldn't be looking at buying "back up" players, whenever we fork out money for a player they should be first choice a la Forster.

Whether you like it or not, the philosophy of the club is to bring through youth players and they have to be the back up option. For example yes, it would have been great if the Sniejder rumours had come to fruition, but in the end there's surely much more pleasure in seeing Harry Reed come into the team and do so well? There is for me anyway.

Also for those saying Gallagher isn't ready, I'd much rather see him leading the line than some random journeyman striker. I think just because we are where we are in the league that we shouldn't forget the values that got us this far.

Whether you like it or not, the philosophy of the club is to bring through youth players and they have to be the back up option. For example yes, it would have been great if the Sniejder rumours had come to fruition, but in the end there's surely much more pleasure in seeing Harry Reed come into the team and do so well? There is for me anyway.

While I agree with what you're saying about bringing through the youth players, I also think bringing in someone like Sneijder until the end of the season would give the other players a huge extra boost.

From watching MOTD last Saturday, I was of the feeling that Jon Stead would be a useful addition, as a backup squad player. Good at holding the ball up and playing team mates in. Looked very Pelle-esque.

His scoring record at the top level 10 years ago tells you he really isn't the one for us. Pretty sure we can and will aim a lot higher.

From watching MOTD last Saturday, I was of the feeling that Jon Stead would be a useful addition, as a backup squad player. Good at holding the ball up and playing team mates in. Looked very Pelle-esque.

We might as well give Ryan or Hasketh a chance. No point buying L1 players of his age (32 i think). He's at Bradford because he failed emphatically at Huddersfield, and he's only scored a couple of goals this year anyway.

He is great at League 1 level, but even in his prime he was only just good enough for the Prem, and I do not think he is anywhere near that now. Yes he had 1 brilliant game on Saturday against top Prem opposition but I am pretty sure he could not do it consistently now.

Looks like we've asked Benfica rather nicely if we can have their player.