Badly need another Striker

Saint Charlie

We don't want to spunk a load of money getting in someone whose not quite good enough and we're stuck with a 3 year contract. This is where the "Southampton way " bods earn their money . If our scouting set up is a good as we're told, they must have targets lined up for the summer, maybe we'll have to pay a premium to get one in early. If not they must have some loan options up their sleeve . It's clearly a awkward situation and we are not in a particularly good negotiating postion , but we need to sort something out.

No one is going to buy Ings when he is out of contract in the summer.

Unless of course the prospective purchaser meets some of the folowing criteria:

Desperate

In need of a boost to enhance their league position etc

Have a plague of injuries to contend with.

Any team spring to mind ?

Actually, I doubt we'll be trying to sign him in January, but stranger moves have materialised before.

No one is going to buy Ings when he is out of contract in the summer.

Plus Burnley aren't going to let him go . There's no point, the money won't be worth losing him for the rest of the season .The time clubs will reluctently sell is 18 months out , not 6. I doubt his agent will advise a move either , out of contract means extra dosh for the player.

Unless of course the prospective purchaser meets some of the folowing criteria:

Desperate

In need of a boost to enhance their league position etc

Have a plague of injuries to contend with.

Any team spring to mind ?

Actually, I doubt we'll be trying to sign him in January, but stranger moves have materialised before.

Even then no club would bother, especially not saints, add in the fact he is Burnley's biggest hope of staying up (which will be worth more money than they could get for Ings) and it just isn't going to happen in Jan. If he was signed in the Summer I wouldn't be surprised however.

In my book we've needed an extra striker since August. Pelle is largely out on his own, and we need a greater goalm threat up front as we all know Longs record is preety poor.

We need a striker who can make adifference, and actually score goals. Not easy to find and not cheap.

Right. And you are usually so on the money with your comments too.

Stick to the point, we were all over the place tactically in the first half and that should have been recognised and changed after 15 mins.... And if you think that is incorrect then that is your prerogative ... Not sure the facts are stacked in your favour however!

Billy Sharp was more than a stop gap. His goals helped get is promoted. What was his record.

In the longer term, he didn't turn out to be much more than a stop gap. He was patently unfit (by Saints standards) when he arrived and didn't play a full game for more than a month and managed just one goal in his first eight outings. However, came up trumps with 8 goals in the last 8 games, (a strangely " off-form " Rickie Lambert managed only 3 in the same period).

My estimation is that Billy was a typical crash / bang type / goal poacher. Some of his goal were pretty " untidy", but they made it over the line, and got us vital points. To that extent he helped get us promoted.

His performances afterwards were sadly disappointing, and whilst we can be grateful for what he achieved then..... he hasn't set the football world alight since.

Edited by david in sweden

So as far as I see it...

Pellè

Long - injured (weeks)

Rodriguez - injured (???)

Gallagher - injured (almost back)

Mayuka

Seager

Gallagher is an interesting one. Certainly being off games for so long, it will take him a good while to get up to speed. I wasn't bowled over by him last season, but the club obviously like him and gave him a contract. Mayuka - well, one might wait for ever and a day for him to come good. Which leaves Seager. I thought he had some nice touches but.....we find ourselves in a position where I am not sure that we can afford to blood him in gently. If we were looking like a 7th-10th spot finish was all we could get, then fine, that would be perfect.

We need to gamble and sign a striker or at least some sort of attacker. With Long out were down to Tadic, Pelle, JWP and Elia.

Another injury or suspension and were stuffed. You need three solid attackers and then options from the bench. We can't rely on youngsters to change games if we are serious about a top four push.

Gallagher isn't IMO good enough to make the impact we need at this stage and hasn't played at all this season so will take ages to get up to speed.

Normally this wouldn't be an issue but we need someone to come in and be able to make an impact now.

Usually I would say to go with what we have but considering the prize we are potentially playing for I think it is worth a loan at least.

Stick to the point, we were all over the place tactically in the first half and that should have been recognised and changed after 15 mins.... And if you think that is incorrect then that is your prerogative ... Not sure the facts are stacked in your favour however!

Maybe you could explain why it was 'a tactical disgrace'?

From what I saw it was a case of too many players having a poor game.

So as far as I see it...

Pellè

Long - injured (weeks)

Mayuka

Seager

Gallagher is an interesting one. Certainly being off games for so long, it will take him a good while to get up to speed. I wasn't bowled over by him last season, but the club obviously like him and gave him a contract. Mayuka - well, one might wait for ever and a day for him to come good. Which leaves Seager. I thought he had some nice touches but.....we find ourselves in a position where I am not sure that we can afford to blood him in gently. If we were looking like a 7th-10th spot finish was all we could get, then fine, that would be perfect.

I guess you did not see Mayuka getting injured in the ACON then. Even if he was any good (which he isn't) unlikely he will be back any time soon.

Why do you think Gallagher is almost back, no sign of him in training videos/photos?

This really is a priority when you consider that we are totally reliant on Pellé (as a front man).

Shane Long has 4 goals,(but two were in one game as an oncoming sub.) Of course Elia had a great game last weekend, but he's scarecly got his feet under the table at SMS.

Jack Cork (not outstanding yesterday by all accounts) has 3 goals, but he was the right man in the right placxe to get those and didn't have ANY real goal history with us before that.

JWP and Steven Davis (whilst playing good roles in midfield) don't have a single goal between them.....and the real enigma must be Dusan Tadic (who looked world-class in the Autumn), but now is in the running for the Ali Dia award of the season - what has happened to him?

More worryingly, Pelle has already picked up 2 yellow cards since his last suspension, and if ANYTHING were to happen to him (red card / injury) we would genuinely be up the creek without - a striker.

The present injury list is frightening to look at, and JayRod's eventual return seems eons away - if indeed he gets back properly this season.

I'm all in favour of RK playing his best team on a regular basis, but soon too many of them will be in the treatment room, and not the pitch. A drop in form now will be reminiscent of 1982.*

Historical note:30 Jan. 1982 Lawrie McMenemy's side got to first place in old Div.1 (read Prem) and stayed there for 10 games, but with less than a dozen matches left, they had key injuries and lost form.

They finished a miserable 7th ...having been in the top 5 since mid November.

We are so well placed this season... that even with the prospect of waiting for the returning players in a month, maybe too late if we start dropping points now.

Edited by david in sweden

So as far as I see it...

Pellè

Long - injured (weeks)

Mayuka

Seager

Mayuka is returning home injured as well, 3 or 4 week jobby.

This really is a priority when you consider that we are totally reliant on Pellé (as a front man).

Shane Long has 4 goals,(but two were in one game as an oncoming sub.) Of course Elia had a great game last weekend, but he's scarecly got his feet under the table at SMS.

Jack Cork (not outstanding yesterday by all accounts) has 3 goals, but he was the right man in the right placxe to get those and didn't have ANY real goal history with us before that.

JWP and Steven Davis (whilst playing good roles in midfield) don't have a single goal between them.....and the real enigma must be Dusan Tadic (who looked world-class in the Autumn), but now is in the running for the Ali Dia award of the season - what has happened to him?

More worryingly, Pelle has already picked up 2 yellow cards since his last suspension, and if ANYTHING were to happen to him (red card / injury) we would genuinely be up the creek without - a striker.

The present injury list is frightening to look at, and JayRod's eventual return seems eons away - if indeed he gets back properly this season.

I'm all in favour of RK playing his best team on a regular basis, but soon too many of them will be in the treatment room, and not the pitch. A drop in form now will be reminiscent of 1982.*

Historical note:30 Jan. 1982 Lawrie McMenemy's side got to first place in old Div.1 (read Prem) and stayed there for 10 games, but with less than a dozen matches left, they had key injuries and lost form.

We are so well placed this season... that even with the prospect of waiting for the returning players in a month, maybe too late if we start dropping points now.

I seem to remember Steve Moran also picking up a long term injury in that run in. Without that happening, I'm sure we would have been champions that season.

At the risk of showing my Dell sized mentality, I've always liked Hugo Rodallega . looks like he's out of contract in the summer . Maybe fulham want to get him off the wage bill, so might loan him out for the rest of the season. He's played regularly in the top flight and although not the best around , could do a job as a back up if he's chasing a deal.

Micky Evans scored crucial goals to keep us up. We need a striker who can score 3-4 crucial goals towards the end of the season to take the relief off pelle.

People laughed when we first signed marsden. Turned out Stella for us.

we signed the likes of evens at the time as we were crap and his very little money to spend compared to everyone else in the division

At the risk of showing my Dell sized mentality, I've always liked Hugo Rodallega . looks like he's out of contract in the summer . Maybe fulham want to get him off the wage bill, so might loan him out for the rest of the season. He's played regularly in the top flight and although not the best around , could do a job as a back up if he's chasing a deal.

if we were in a relegation battle yes. we're 3rd ffs.

Spot on David, I think a few of us fortysomething's are feeling a bit déjà vu at the moment. You have to have faith that those responsible at SMS are all over this, unthinkable that so close to CL and the related money that they won't get a loan in at the very least - doesn't have to be a world beater, doesn't have to be expensive, but we need experienced cover at CF that offers a genuine goal threat. Van Persie is Dutch and out of favour, perhaps Ron could do an Elia on him! ;-)

Micky Evans scored crucial goals to keep us up. We need a striker who can score 3-4 crucial goals towards the end of the season to take the relief off pelle.

People laughed when we first signed marsden. Turned out Stella for us.

I remember Micky Evans very well. We've moved on from Micky Evans.