Badly need another Striker

Saint Charlie

P.S...........and above all ...a proven goalscorer, with a decent history not some promising kid who's scored a few spectacular goals last season. Get another Lambert / Pelle from Europe.

O.K. We've got Gallagher (injured) and Ryan Seager (V.G. at U21 level), but we need someone who can hit the ground running. It surely can't be a money problem... with the CL in our sights.

M

P.S...........and above all ...a proven goalscorer, with a decent history not some promising kid who's scored a few spectacular goals last season. Get another Lambert / Pelle from Europe.

O.K. We've got Gallagher (injured) and Ryan Seager (V.G. at U21 level), but we need someone who can hit the ground running. It surely can't be a money problem... with the CL in our sights.

We may get a journeyman to provide cover (which given the current situation would ease the nerves) but I wouldn't be surprised to see Koeman pull another off radar Dutch ace from his sleeve, someone like Luc Castaignos at Twente, as his contract is up this summer...

M

We may get a journeyman to provide cover (which given the current situation would ease the nerves) but I wouldn't be surprised to see Koeman pull another off radar Dutch ace from his sleeve, someone like Luc Castaignos at Twente, as his contract is up this summer...

Agree with that, Milton Aggro

Not sure if Pellé was top of the list from the Black Box in the summer, but Koeman's knowledge about him must have tipped the balance.

The real answer is perhaps not so difficult ..who was no.'s 2, 3 and 4 on the list? - and can we sign one of them before 2nd. Feb.?

Badly need another striker. Totally agree.

The Problem is, as we learnt in the Rupert days, buying Squad players is a recipe for disaster, and has been stated time and again that we won't do that any more. We buy better than we have or we buy to fill tactical gaps and we buy for the future. Anyone signing for us now of the calibre we need, to be better than even just Seager will be on a minimum of a 3 year contract and not short of 30/40 Grand a week. Yes we have the chance to get into the CL but would the new signing be that level of player? Or will we be stuck with trying to farm them out on loan for the next 3 years?

Also, a primary component of our season so far has been the closeness of the team and the spirit. (Something that worries me with uncertainty around Cork & Clyne's contracts), so then we have the issue of what would a new striker do who is seen as blocking the path for our injured trio (JRod, Gallagher & Long)? What impact would that have on them and their dynamic within the team?

Danny Ings, Pelle or JRod as an example, who would you start each week? Would that mean no place on the bench for Long?

IMHO what we need right now is to find another "out of favour" player that we can bring in on loan until the end of the season. (No not bloody Osvaldo) but someone who like Elia has potential, has experience and wants the chance to prove themselves.

That makes the search a damned site more difficult, especially as so many players will be away at Afcon and pretty much closed off from contact with Agents and Medicals etc.

IF we buy a Striker now then IMHO they must be as good as or better than what we have and not "p1ss off" existing squad members.

THAT is a really difficult task and may not even be possible.

Time for Les & the tean to REALLY earn their Stripes or Sash or whatever for next year

I dunno, he looks pretty crap to me. The least impressive of Palace's front four!

Been the same each time I have seen him play for the Arse.Charlie Austin for me. I do not think he has signed a new contract for QPR yet despite the press. Redknapp looked pretty depressed in his interview in Bournemouth on Friday on Sky Sports too.

Badly need another striker. Totally agree.

The Problem is, as we learnt in the Rupert days, buying Squad players is a recipe for disaster, and has been stated time and again that we won't do that any more. We buy better than we have or we buy to fill tactical gaps and we buy for the future. Anyone signing for us now of the calibre we need, to be better than even just Seager will be on a minimum of a 3 year contract and not short of 30/40 Grand a week. Yes we have the chance to get into the CL but would the new signing be that level of player? Or will we be stuck with trying to farm them out on loan for the next 3 years?

Also, a primary component of our season so far has been the closeness of the team and the spirit. (Something that worries me with uncertainty around Cork & Clyne's contracts), so then we have the issue of what would a new striker do who is seen as blocking the path for our injured trio (JRod, Gallagher & Long)? What impact would that have on them and their dynamic within the team?

Danny Ings, Pelle or JRod as an example, who would you start each week? Would that mean no place on the bench for Long?

IMHO what we need right now is to find another "out of favour" player that we can bring in on loan until the end of the season. (No not bloody Osvaldo) but someone who like Elia has potential, has experience and wants the chance to prove themselves.

That makes the search a damned site more difficult, especially as so many players will be away at Afcon and pretty much closed off from contact with Agents and Medicals etc.

IF we buy a Striker now then IMHO they must be as good as or better than what we have and not "p1ss off" existing squad members.

THAT is a really difficult task and may not even be possible.

Time for Les & the tean to REALLY earn their Stripes or Sash or whatever for next year

Think you made a lot of valid points here, "phil" ....except that at the moment Pellè is the only striker available to us, at a time when we cannot afford to lose any points whilst in search of a Euro place.

Whether he scores, or not (thanks goodness he finally did on Saturday).. we must be grateful every time that Pelle comes off the pitch uninjured, and without getting booked again.

The injury list is getting dangerously large now , and the suggestion that Wanyama and Schneiderlin " may " be back in 2-3 weeks is little comfort if we drop points along the way whilst waiting, especially when we see that we have a very lightweight midfield at present.

The JayRod situation has taken on serious dimensions. Koeman said he was looking forward to getting him back in December, but with February just around the corner, he's not even back in training.

The ultimate fear is... will he recover enough to be a real threat in attack ...by the end of the season, let alone recover his " goal touch ".

Now Long is out, we have no other alternative as Gallagher is still out and Seager (though good at U21 level) has had about 20 mins. of senior football. This is not the time to experiment with boys.

I always wonder how new signings will adapt to the dressing room environment, but surely everyone in the squad realises it's not the time to be complaining about team selection.

Another striker THIS WEEK is priority, and another CB if poss. otherwise what we all considered to be " an easy run-in " to the end of season can develop into a nightmare.

Saturday's performance v. Palace should have rung a lot of alarm bells at SMS.

I think we are looking at a loan till the end of the season or a promising youngster, either of which I would be happy with we clearly need backup to Pelle but I don't want us clogging the side up with expensive jouney men just for the sake of it with Rodrogues and Gallagher on the way back and Seager hoping to break through.

If we bring in a striker IMO it'll be a loan, after all they've worked very well so far for Koeman with Bertrand, Toby and Elia. Bringing in a permanent striker could upset the applecart too.

God knows who, surely there is a striker in the world available for loan that has similar qualities to Pelle.

As for a permanent striker in the summer, Alexander Mitrovic is getting rave reports at Anderlecht. Worth monitoring.

If we bring in a striker IMO it'll be a loan, after all they've worked very well so far for Koeman with Bertrand, Toby and Elia. Bringing in a permanent striker could upset the applecart too.

God knows who, surely there is a striker in the world available for loan that has similar qualities to Pelle.

As for a permanent striker in the summer, Alexander Mitrovic is getting rave reports at Anderlecht. Worth monitoring.

yes please

If we can get an improvement on Pellè than that would be the obvious choice, someone like Benteke. Yes he will be expensive but a player at that level would all but complete our team imo

We need to bring in someone of some description though as we will be very lucky to complete the season without the loss of Pellè who is integral to the way we play and unfortunately has no obvious back up of any quality

Looks like it's been confirmed Long has broken ribs so that almost certainly means we should be in the market for a striker. Having some really bad luck with injuries at the moment. Don't see Koeman and Reed have any alternative with only Pelle and Elia fit and available. Mane may need rest post-ACON when he returns and doesn't seem like J Rod or Gallagher will be fit to feature this season.

Luc Castignios is my guess, Twente will lose him for nothing this summer so could offer them a sizeable loan fee and effectively a 'try before you buy'. Even if Ings arrives in the summer, we've seen the last of J Rod one way or another I'm beginning to think whether that's his injury or a move. So an opportunity for someone like Luc to make an impact if he wanted to put himself in the PL window and solves an urgent shortage for us as well as competition when Long and Mane are back.

Luc Castignios is my guess, Twente will lose him for nothing this summer so could offer them a sizeable loan fee and effectively a 'try before you buy'.
He does look a good fit. Anyone clued up on Dutch football know the chances of Twente selling now? If he would go on a free in the summer, would circa £5/6m do the job now?

Looks like it's been confirmed Long has broken ribs so that almost certainly means we should be in the market for a striker. Having some really bad luck with injuries at the moment. Don't see Koeman and Reed have any alternative with only Pelle and Elia fit and available. Mane may need rest post-ACON when he returns and doesn't seem like J Rod or Gallagher will be fit to feature this season.

Luc Castignios is my guess, Twente will lose him for nothing this summer so could offer them a sizeable loan fee and effectively a 'try before you buy'. Even if Ings arrives in the summer, we've seen the last of J Rod one way or another I'm beginning to think whether that's his injury or a move. So an opportunity for someone like Luc to make an impact if he wanted to put himself in the PL window and solves an urgent shortage for us as well as competition when Long and Mane are back.

What about Tadic?

Also isn't this when our much vaunted academy Pathway is supposed to kick in? We all like to talk about our great academy but when it looks like we have to play some of the youth people start complaining they aren't up to it and we need experienced players. I won't exactly get upset if we bring in a competition for Pelle this Jan (though I don't get the feeling the club are planning to do so) but I do wonder if the club really considers buying a new player because of injuries knowing that those injuried players are only out for a few weeks.

Also isn't this when our much vaunted academy Pathway is supposed to kick in? We all like to talk about our great academy but when it looks like we have to play some of the youth people start complaining they aren't up to it and we need experienced players.
Please tell me you're joking here?

I don't think the position has changed all season to be fair. We have been a Pelle injury / suspension away from disaster in this area.

I don't personally think the injury to Long is a change here, we've only played him as lead striker in a couple of games and he has otherwise been deployed as wide in the front three or a second striker. In those two wide positions we have Tadic, Elia, Mane to rotate. If we play with two up top Ron has deployed Mane, Elia and Long there, to good effect.

What Long does give us is flexibility in formation and an option from the bench.

I don't think the position has changed all season to be fair. We have been a Pelle injury / suspension away from disaster in this area.

I don't personally think the injury to Long is a change here, we've only played him as lead striker in a couple of games and he has otherwise been deployed as wide in the front three or a second striker. In those two wide positions we have Tadic, Elia, Mane to rotate. If we play with two up top Ron has deployed Mane, Elia and Long there, to good effect.

What Long does give us is flexibility in formation and an option from the bench.

But it could be argued there has been a combination of things changing from earlier in the season. Rodriguez not being close to returning and Long, who was ultimately our back-up striker despite being different in style to Pelle, now being injured.

Please tell me you're joking here?

About what? we have Long out for a month Mane away for a couple more weeks then we are back up to strength. We could easily play the likes of Seagar for a 4 games but you get comments like this.

Which is great. But do we want to try and get fourth place or not? If we do, then Seagar isn't the answer at this stage in his career.

We can't rely on youngsters to change games if we are serious about a top four push.

The Club IMO isn't going to buy a new striker to cover missing players for a month not when they believe in youth. Buying stop gap players isn't the clubs way so unless some top quality player, that was already in the club's plans is available, I think a lot of people are going to be disappointed if they expect a new striker this Jan.

If we can get an improvement on Pellè than that would be the obvious choice, someone like Benteke. Yes he will be expensive but a player at that level would all but complete our team imo

We need to bring in someone of some description though as we will be very lucky to complete the season without the loss of Pellè who is integral to the way we play and unfortunately has no obvious back up of any quality

Benteke an improvement on Pele? Really? He may be a bit quicker, but doesn't have a brilliant shots to goals ratio, neither does he match Pele in his other attributes, aerial prowess, hold up play, speed of thought.

Benteke an improvement on Pele? Really? He may be a bit quicker, but doesn't have a brilliant shots to goals ratio, neither does he match Pele in his other attributes, aerial prowess, hold up play, speed of thought.

You dont half talk some nonsense.

I would argue Benteke is better player than Lukaku never mind Pellè, obviously quicker than Pellè too, hard to judge hold up play and ariel prowess but surely he isnt much difference there

As for coverting chances Ive seen enough to think he is better than Pellè who struggles there imo. It doesnt help that Benteke plays in such a poor team, given half the chances Pellè has had this season Id say he would've converted a lot more

About what? we have Long out for a month Mane away for a couple more weeks then we are back up to strength. We could easily play the likes of Seagar for a 4 games but you get comments like this.

Which is great. But do we want to try and get fourth place or not? If we do, then Seagar isn't the answer at this stage in his career.

We can't rely on youngsters to change games if we are serious about a top four push.

The Club IMO isn't going to buy a new striker to cover missing players for a month not when they believe in youth. Buying stop gap players isn't the clubs way so unless some top quality player, that was already in the club's plans is available, I think a lot of people are going to be disappointed if they expect a new striker this Jan.

This is the bit that I assumed must be a joke "We all like to talk about our great academy but when it looks like we have to play some of the youth people start complaining they aren't up to it and we need experienced players.". Chambers, Shaw, Reed, JWP, Targett all getting plenty of playing time for us over the last two seasons, plus various others making their debuts - I can't think of any other Premier League team that compares.

I would argue Benteke is better player than Lukaku never mind Pellè, obviously quicker than Pellè too, hard to judge hold up play and ariel prowess but surely he isnt much difference there

As for coverting chances Ive seen enough to think he is better than Pellè who struggles there imo. It doesnt help that Benteke plays in such a poor team, given half the chances Pellè has had this season Id say he would've converted a lot more

I rate Lukaku higher than Benteke. But it's all about opinions.

Are you sure we're thinking about the same Benteke here?

He does look a good fit. Anyone clued up on Dutch football know the chances of Twente selling now? If he would go on a free in the summer, would circa £5/6m do the job now?

I only suggested LC as I work with an Inter fan who made the Feyenoord link (he didn't work out in Milan), so no idea on his situation at Twente

Are you sure we're thinking about the same Benteke here?

The one who plays for Aston Villa? The Belgian International? I rate Lukaku higher than him, but that is my opinion which I am entitled to. And as for Pelle, I judge it on the whole package, not just on one or two aspects, rather like Ricky Lambert who was judged by many solely on his ability to score goals, and his other attributes of what he brought to our team were overlooked.

The one who plays for Aston Villa? The Belgian International? I rate Lukaku higher than him, but that is my opinion which I am entitled to. And as for Pelle, I judge it on the whole package, not just on one or two aspects, rather like Ricky Lambert who was judged by many solely on his ability to score goals, and his other attributes of what he brought to our team were overlooked.

Who did this?

I rate Lukaku higher than Benteke. But it's all about opinions.

It is indeed, there isnt a lot in it but for me I dont see that Lukaku has moved on much from his West Brom days. Decent player but needs to affect games more, far far too inconsistant for me.

Ive been banging the Benteke drum for ages now, in a decent team he will be a machine

Football is easy isn't it. Wish one of you would tell Koeman about this idea of signing a brilliant proven goalscorer in January to sit on the bench.

I think he is fully aware of it adrian, I cant say I know what state of the FFP is or whether or not signing a proven goalscorer would impact the signing of Toby or Ryan but Im afraid believing that Jay, Elia or Manè could fill in a Pellè shaped hole is a little short sighted IMO

This is the bit that I assumed must be a joke "We all like to talk about our great academy but when it looks like we have to play some of the youth people start complaining they aren't up to it and we need experienced players.". Chambers, Shaw, Reed, JWP, Targett all getting plenty of playing time for us over the last two seasons, plus various others making their debuts - I can't think of any other Premier League team that compares.

The third quote up there is mine......and although we seem to agree that " Academy is good ", things have to be kept in proportion.

Nothing would please me more than to see Ryan Seager score the winner on Sunday, but to expect him to be up for it for the next 6-7 weeks is most unlikely.

With rare exception, the majority of the " successes from the Academy " have been introduced into a stable side on a one-off basis. Right now, we have a major injury situation with at least 5 players who can be regarded as first choice players. In addition to which, we played with a very lightweight midfield on Saturday, which is exactly when we need players like Schneiderlin and Wanyama now.

Trying to patch up the situation by throwing in kids sounds fine,(and most seasons we would have done that)....but now we are top 3, with Arsenal and MU breathing down our necks we can't afford to lose a single point if we are to maintain a Euro challenge, just at a time when those clubs are going through a bad period. We might never have a better chance of Euro football than now.

Our first team squad is " very small " (Koeman's words - on several occasions) and with the current crop of injuries, we must have a ......journeyman /stop gap / loan / call it what you will, for the next 16 games to see us through till May. Long and JayRod are the only other experienced Prem. strikers we have, and we are likely to be without them until Easter, whilst Pelle is the only fit striker.

If we lose many of the next 12-15 points.. we might as well go back to being satisfied with an 8th place, and await the next exodus of players in the summer.

Harsh words? yes....and I really hope I'm wrong, but this is a heart / head question but common sense says - get in an established striker to help " see us over the line " come May.

Edited by david in sweden

As others have said, the need to sign a striker has existed since the start of the season as if we lose Pelle then the complexity of the team changes entirely. Long can't be relied upon to score goals and he is a different type of player to Pelle. Long's injury may prompt more movement in this area from a numbers perspective but the real need for a proper backup to Pelle has existed since the summer.

Personally I'd be quite happy with Mane, Elia and Tadic up front if Pelle is out. Yeah we couldn't play the same way, but that's where managers earn their money isn't it.

It'd be a fast attack with decent goal threat, and Mane looked decent through the middle. Long and even Rodriguez could fit into that too.

Can we honestly sign anyone better than that in January?

Well - the manager has found a reasonably successful system which we are playing. Must he change it to accomodate another formation that might not work, or get in someone who will fit the system.

Surely a no-brainer?. What do we have the Black Box for?.If Pelle was " Koeman's first choice " last summer, we can't say he got it wrong-can we? , but who was no.s 2nd,3rd and 4th choice .Check them out.

As others have said' date=' the need to sign a striker has existed since the start of the season as if we lose Pelle then the complexity of the team changes entirely. Long can't be relied upon to score goals and he is a different type of player to Pelle. Long's injury may prompt more movement in this area from a numbers perspective but the real need for a proper backup to Pelle has existed since the summer.[/quote']

Yep and if we were midtable and Pelle missed a month you would think its a blow but lets see what points we can pick up.

The difference is our league position and what we can potentially achieve.

When you consider that, the fact we made a net profit from transfers in the summer, probably will again this summer, and are due a bumper TV money payout then its a complete no brainer IMO.