What is Forsters shot to save ratio?

OldNick

League One goalkeeper with a couple of Premier League attributes. Not that much at fault yesterday. Hes better than Gazzanigga, but that's not saying much. Most of the goalkeepers in the Premier are better than him; Begovic, Adrian, Heaton, Schmeichel, Foster, Lloris, Ospina, De Gea, Cech, Courtois, Hart, Krul, Howard, Speroni... Prob fabianski and mignolet too.

Our superb defence masks his vacuous deficiencies.

It's odd - even with his record and size he doesn't look confident. He's a regulation goalkeeper - he makes the saves you would expect a championship keeper to make - he doesn't make point saving saves that most Prem GK make. Given that Celtic are c Champs level that isn't surprising What is surprising is capability vs consistency - he's certainly capable of being a top Prem Gk - we've seen that against the likes of Barcelona and Arsenal - it appears that he needs to make one fantastic save early to have a good match. It must be a concentration issue.

Decent keeper, but said the same thing - he doesn't really seem to make saves. Compare Bentaleb's strike yesterday with Coutinho, Adrian pulls off a great save, and arguably Forster should have done better - although it was a worldie - they happen.

Think we have suffered the least shots against us, but the ones that get through seem to be goals. I think he should have done better with Sterlings too....maybe I'm being a bit harsh.

It's odd - even with his record and size he doesn't look confident. He's a regulation goalkeeper - he makes the saves you would expect a championship keeper to make - he doesn't make point saving saves that most Prem GK make. Given that Celtic are c Champs level that isn't surprising What is surprising is capability vs consistency - he's certainly capable of being a top Prem Gk - we've seen that against the likes of Barcelona and Arsenal - it appears that he needs to make one fantastic save early to have a good match. It must be a concentration issue.

I assume you're ignoring the save against QPR, yes?

Ffs, here we go again with the easy option to blame the keeper for losing a game.

The fact that we lost is because we cannot put ball in the net ourselves, and we are letting them in because we are missing two of our best defenders.

Liverpool also won due to scoring a great goal and a mistake by Targett.

Plus a crap ref did not help either.

He should definitely have done better with the second and seemed a little slow to think about taking a step before responding to the first, albeit pretty special strike. The thing about having no competition or back-up should he get injured has been a worry for ages.

Edited by DT

Extremely harsh to have a pop at FF for either goal yday.

First one was an absolute Worldie, no keeper is saving that. Maybe he could have done better, but frankly it should never have gotten to the point where sterling was in that position. Between Morgan's slack pass, some comical defending and the ball coming through two players from about 15 yards it would have been a great stop.

Simply put, the defence do their job and the second, possibly the first, aren't scored.

Well, I'm not going to say it again after this. He's at best, average . There's plenty better out there. Our defence truly does mask his true abilities. Our best goalkeeper is out on loan.

It's obvious from this that you haven't seen his howler at Brentford.

He should definitely have done better with the first and seemed a little slow to think about taking a step before responding to the first, albeit pretty special strike. The thing about having no competition or back-up should he get injured has been a worry for ages.

That is a ridiculous statement. A dipping ball goes in off the underside of the crossbar in the top corner of the goal. I can't think of any of the greatest goalkeepers that the world has ever seen getting close to that one.

It's obvious from this that you haven't seen his howler at Brentford.

That is a ridiculous statement. A dipping ball goes in off the underside of the crossbar in the top corner of the goal. I can't think of any of the greatest goalkeepers that the world has ever seen getting close to that one.

Just a typo. I meant the second goal

Cant believe people fault him for the first. Don't think anyone would have saved that. As for the second it took a deflection and it wasn't an easy stop. Give the guy a break. We are still in the top six so he must be doing something right.

Some people still don't get it. Of course he's doing alright, because we have the best defence and defensive midfield that stops him having to save shots. Why do we need to "give him a break". He really isn't very good at stopping shots (except for one against QPR which apparently was "unbelievable" and makes him Lev Yashin reincarnated).

Ffs, here we go again with the easy option to blame the keeper for losing a game.

The fact that we lost is because we cannot put ball in the net ourselves, and we are letting them in because we are missing two of our best defenders.

Liverpool also won due to scoring a great goal and a mistake by Targett.

Plus a crap ref did not help either.

Spot on.

Some people still don't get it. Of course he's doing alright, because we have the best defence and defensive midfield that stops him having to save shots. Why do we need to "give him a break". He really isn't very good at stopping shots (except for one against QPR which apparently was "unbelievable" and makes him Lev Yashin reincarnated).

He is part of that defensive unit. We need to give him a break because he is really not as bad as some people would like to make out. You don't win matches if you don't score goals and that has been our problem recently, not Forster.

Actually he had more chance with first (virtually none) than with second (absolutely none at all). He seemed to blame himself but it came through and under multiple bodies, bounced off one of our players and the ground - absolutely not his fault. As for being staggered. Surely by now you have twigged there are some bonkers people on here.

Thanks for the reminder unbelievable Jeff. I think you totally missed my point that I think he is capable but isn't consistent. For every QPR there is Aston Villa, fumbles at Spurs away etc. I didn't mention any of those as I wasn't doing a full season analysis. I think my point still stands - clearly you think he is a top class keeper with his displays so far, I'm hoping for more.

Forster has been sussed. Teams have spotted that he is slow to move his feet and positin himself for a shot hence their success at shots from 20 metres and longer. All you have to do is welly it and keep it away from directly at him - something we could learn.

Keepers need competition, they shouldn't be allowed to get too comfortable.

Mignolet and Hart getting dropped for a few matches in recent seasons seem to have had a positive effect on both of them.

We desperately need a decent backup keeper to push Forster.

Until Willy Caballero came in for Hart (and maybe before that...much less so...pantillimon), and Courtois came back from Atleti, and Ospina for Arsenal pushing out Schezny occasionally -- all of which have occurred this season -- there were hardly any keepers in the English game who had to 'fight for their place'. I agree that he needs his confidence up, but putting him up against a similar valued goalkeeper we may bring in is just not the way to do it. The reason I say bring in is that there are no keepers on our bench that I would ever want to be playing first team football regularly just so Forster can sit on the sidelines and realise how much he wants to play...

Edited by eddie

League One goalkeeper with a couple of Premier League attributes. Not that much at fault yesterday. Hes better than Gazzanigga, but that's not saying much. Most of the goalkeepers in the Premier are better than him; Begovic, Adrian, Heaton, Schmeichel, Foster, Lloris, Ospina, De Gea, Cech, Courtois, Hart, Krul, Howard, Speroni... Prob fabianski and mignolet too.

Our superb defence masks his vacuous deficiencies.

Do you genuinely think Krul, Fabianski, Howard etc are better than Forster? I will more than happily bow to your superior knowledge re: lower league keepers as I know hardly any...but those keepers better than Forster? No chance. Pundits were calling Howard the worst keeper in the premier league after the weekend. Fabianski has put some of the single-handedly worst displays I've ever seen this season.

lets be honest he doesn't offer anything that boruc didn't offer other than a better temperament, his clearances and decision making are shocking and overall he isn't a good shot stopper not been impressed so far but he will get better!

Wrong, Wrong,Wrong!!!

Forster is a fantastic kicker of the ball. Boruc was a liability.

Forster has been sussed. Teams have spotted that he is slow to move his feet and positin himself for a shot hence their success at shots from 20 metres and longer. All you have to do is welly it and keep it away from directly at him - something we could learn.

We don't have anyone with the ability to ping one from 25/30 yards. J Rod, Lallana and Rickie all could last year, we dont have one this year.

Premier League@premierleague

GOLDEN GLOVE @FraserForster has the most clean sheets so far, but who will win the race to be the #BPL's top stopper?

B-m3a4NW0AAYTgu.png

I don't see that as a realistic view of the best keepers i nthe league. We've kept clean sheets because we defend so well as a unit, and we have some top drawer CB's and CM's. Forster has pulled off some good saves, but he doesn't save the ones he should. I can think of 4 or 5 off the top of my head where he could have done far far better.

http://www.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/premierleague/stats?table=defensive&stat=goalsAgainstAvg#top

He has a better save to shots ratio than Hart and Courtois who are the only ones in a reasonable comparison due to the low shots faced.

Therefore he is doing pretty well all things considered. Time to start laying off the bloke and looking for things that arent there.

A lot of things that are amusing about this thread, given our defensive record, which, however you dress it up, Forster is a big part of.

What i like is that the initial question was about his shot to save ratio - it was ignored for a while with people preferring to suggest that he wouldn't get into most Championship teams, he's slow, doesn't command the area blah blah blah.

Then, someone actually answered the question, and he fared pretty well on the ratio, possibly best in the league, so the question was promptly ignored again.

Classic.

He is better than Boruc clearly, the comment about him being a poor kicker is completely wide of the mark as he's actually very good, and he has made some big saves this season as well. QPR was an obvious one, winning us the points, but he also made a string of saves at the Emirates in the league that almost grabbed us a point, for example. I can think of a few other decent stops too - West ham away, Swans away.

But this is kind of by-the-by - you can go through every team and pick out some good stops from their keeper that contributed to winning points. The two stats that have for some reason been dismissed/ignored on here, clean sheets and shots to saves ratio, are surely the best measure of a keeper's success?

But Forster comes out on top of the pile in both, so instead, let's slag him off because we lost...

I don't see that as a realistic view of the best keepers i nthe league. We've kept clean sheets because we defend so well as a unit, and we have some top drawer CB's and CM's. Forster has pulled off some good saves, but he doesn't save the ones he should. I can think of 4 or 5 off the top of my head where he could have done far far better.

And there are ones he could have done far worse with. The defensive unit includes the goalkeeper. I don't think we can complain too much can we? It just seems as though some people have an axe to grind because we got rid of Boruc.