Toby

washsaint

Breach of contract is a civil law matter, you cannot be convicted of a breach of contract, it is not a criminal offence. The remedy for a civil case will be through a civil judgement.

Judgment. [emoji12]

Edited by Torres

For what it's worth, here is my take on things now. I can't imagine it is anything particularly new to anyone, but I just thought it worthwhile to get it all down in one post anyway.

Atlético have reneged on the agreement (which is sound, and proper - as confirmed by BBC et al), but appear that they are going to be complicit to forcing through Toby's move to Tottenham. As far as Toby is concerned, I believe that he genuinely holds a lot of fondness for Saints and would gladly sign here, had it worked that way. However, Saints clearly feel that they've been played here, and aren't entirely happy to just roll over and chuck Madrid yet more money.

Toby appears to be at the stage of completing the medical and doing the contract, and signing with Spurs in London sometime this week. If that becomes increasingly protracted, then maybe he is holding out for Saints after all. I don't have any bad blood towards Toby, or for that matter, Tottenham. They would have been just as unaware of the clause in the agreement as the rest of the nation until it was thrown into the spotlight by Saints.

There is of course a chance that Saints could strike a deal that is the same, or better, than Spurs' offer to both the player and the club, but it's fair to say that club relations are pretty much at breaking point between Southampton and Atlético Madrid. Of course, you have to ask the question of whether they'd be willing to go into business with Saints if we could make them a better offer, when things already seem to have progressed fairly rapidly. You also have to question whether Les Reed and the higher powers that be at Saints really want to get down this route if they believe they've acted ethically and with correct morals.

Toby wanted a move to a Premier League club, and he wanted it to be sorted so that he could actually have a good pre-season this year. I don't think he is overly concerned as to which of the two clubs really went for him, as both had their respective plus-points. With Spurs, the Belgian connections and the London lifestyle and potential for a new stadium and regular European football. With Saints, Toby had a squad he knew, a place he had been living for a year and a chance to reunite with Koeman.

As I see it, it looks like Madrid are going to do the deal with Spurs and end up in the courtroom with Saints.

Our anger, frustration and ire should be directly at Atlético, and not Toby Alderweireld, or even Tottenham.

*IMO

For what it's worth, here is my take on things now. I can't imagine it is anything particularly new to anyone, but I just thought it worthwhile to get it all down in one post anyway.

Atlético have reneged on the agreement (which is sound, and proper - as confirmed by BBC et al), but appear that they are going to be complicit to forcing through Toby's move to Tottenham. As far as Toby is concerned, I believe that he genuinely holds a lot of fondness for Saints and would gladly sign here, had it worked that way. However, Saints clearly feel that they've been played here, and aren't entirely happy to just roll over and chuck Madrid yet more money.

Toby appears to be at the stage of completing the medical and doing the contract, and signing with Spurs in London sometime this week. If that becomes increasingly protracted, then maybe he is holding out for Saints after all. I don't have any bad blood towards Toby, or for that matter, Tottenham. They would have been just as unaware of the clause in the agreement as the rest of the nation until it was thrown into the spotlight by Saints.

There is of course a chance that Saints could strike a deal that is the same, or better, than Spurs' offer to both the player and the club, but it's fair to say that club relations are pretty much at breaking point between Southampton and Atlético Madrid. Of course, you have to ask the question of whether they'd be willing to go into business with Saints if we could make them a better offer, when things already seem to have progressed fairly rapidly. You also have to question whether Les Reed and the higher powers that be at Saints really want to get down this route if they believe they've acted ethically and with correct morals.

Toby wanted a move to a Premier League club, and he wanted it to be sorted so that he could actually have a good pre-season this year. I don't think he is overly concerned as to which of the two clubs really went for him, as both had their respective plus-points. With Spurs, the Belgian connections and the London lifestyle and potential for a new stadium and regular European football. With Saints, Toby had a squad he knew, a place he had been living for a year and a chance to reunite with Koeman.

As I see it, it looks like Madrid are going to do the deal with Spurs and end up in the courtroom with Saints.

Our anger, frustration and ire should be directly at Atlético, and not Toby Alderweireld, or even Tottenham.

*IMO

In other words you, like nobody else, has a clue what's going on. Thanks for that then !

*IMO

I disagree with most of that - if Saints think they are legally in the right and Toby is happy to sign for us, why should they just roll over and be buggered by Spurs?

Again.

I disagree with most of that - if Saints think they are legally in the right and Toby is happy to sign for us, why should they just roll over and be buggered by Spurs?

Again.

If you're taking legal action against someone holding you to ransom for money they aren't entitled to, why would you chuck them the money?

The legal gripe is with Madrid, not Spurs. We can't do anything about that - but we can make sure we don't get entirely shafted by Madrid, by dragging them into court.

Reading on a few spurs forums they reckon he had a medical at spurs today.....anyone have any info/itk knowledge if that is true?

Edit ...Scrap that then,post above answers the question

Edited by pangy

Does every post have to have some groundbreaking news or can people no longer post their opinions on this site? Don't be such a pr1ck.

That comes from you, a poster that called someone delusional for posting an opinion on a potential signing/target ?

Right back at ya pal !!

As far as I can tell when AM failed to pay the €1.8m to Saints on time as per the loan agreement, Toby's registration is retained by Saints as soon as they pay the transfer fee agreed last summer.

In other words, Toby's registration was not theirs to sell - to Spurs or anyone else.

I can't see Saints letting this go, as far as I can see they've got AM over a barrel.

IMO

Reading on a few spurs forums they reckon he had a medical at spurs today.....anyone have any info/itk knowledge if that is true?

Edit ...Scrap that then,post above answers the question

If you're reading the same Spurs forum as me (glory glory) then there are a few ITK bits in there, they have a special ITK thread (bit sad).

Interestingly, one of the ITK guys is pretty clear that they're not signing Toby and has been from the start. Will have to wait and see, but all the ******** of him being set to sign for Spurs were never reality. The whole Spurs stuff has never sat right with me, something isn't as it seems.

If you're reading the same Spurs forum as me (glory glory) then there are a few ITK bits in there, they have a special ITK thread (bit sad).

Interestingly, one of the ITK guys is pretty clear that they're not signing Toby and has been from the start. Will have to wait and see, but all the ******** of him being set to sign for Spurs were never reality. The whole Spurs stuff has never sat right with me, something isn't as it seems.

What do you think might be going on? Anyone got any wild theories just for fun as this isn't getting resolved any time soon.

Could it be that AM asked Levy to intentionally come in and 'make a bid' to try and force Saints to put more money on the table, but inadvertently ****ed themselves over with the timestamp on the contract. Or maybe they knew about the timing all along and its always been about them not having the money available to do a buyback. I remember hearing that AM and Spurs have quite a good trading history.

Possible scenario. Spurs want to sign Suarez from Madrid. So levy IS in Madrid and is trying to do a deal, but not for Alderwiereld, but for Suarez. Both sides have been using his presence in Madrid to put pressure onto saints to screw as much money out of us as they can. levy helps out Madrid by letting everyone in the media think he wants Alderwiereld as well, in return he gets a smooth transaction for his man, Madrid use the spurs 'interest' to drive a higher price with Saints. levy gets his man, Madrid get more cash from us, its a winner for both of them.

Possible scenario. Spurs want to sign Suarez from Madrid. So levy IS in Madrid and is trying to do a deal, but not for Alderwiereld, but for Suarez. Both sides have been using his presence in Madrid to put pressure onto saints to screw as much money out of us as they can. levy helps out Madrid by letting everyone in the media think he wants Alderwiereld as well, in return he gets a smooth transaction for his man, Madrid use the spurs 'interest' to drive a higher price with Saints. levy gets his man, Madrid get more cash from us, its a winner for both of them.

I think this has been mooted as the reason Levy was out there, although if I'm honest I don't truly believe it would have even been him who went out there - a delegation maybe, but not just him. As soon as Madrid got Toby back, they have seemingly tried to use him as a bargaining chip for their own deals (Luis being one). My general feeling is that Madrid are playing silly buggers, they are trying to force Toby onto Spurs. Spurs are interested, as you would be, but it's not as cut and dry as many people may think. He's certainly not shaken on it and agreed terms, in my opinion.

The leak of the 'legal action' was an interesting and slightly surprising twist, as it seems we may have become aware of Madrid's attempts to palm Toby off on Spurs without adhering to our contractual agreement. In one way it seems like a bit of a last resort, but on the other hand we have just been playing it by the book - so why aren't they. I genuinely believe Toby would sign here, from what I understood from the pre-fee thing, a draft contract is sorted out at the same time - so if/when the deal does become permanent, the deal just kicks in and you're not stuck in weeks of contract wrangles. So in my opinion, Toby knows we want him. He knows what we're going to offer him, he's seemingly happy with that, but until Madrid stop playing silly buggers than we won't have a deal.

The Spurs stuff is not as cut and dried as it may seem in the media. I feel he will sign for us, this is nothing other than a bit of dirty tricks by Madrid to try and get more money. Once they realise how messy it could become, an agreement will be made. People are saying that it's up to Toby, but I think Madrid are even playing him. I don't think what he says will make any difference to what they do. We've just got to let them finish their silly game.

Edited by S-Clarke

That comes from you, a poster that called someone delusional for posting an opinion on a potential signing/target ?

Right back at ya pal !!

I said they were delusional for suggesting the club would spend £20 million on one player (it's not going to happen!). Bit different to your sarcastic comment earlier

That mirror article is amusing , the one below sayin we are chasing http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/southampton-keen-real-madrid-starlet-6014436

But face competition from Middlesbrough , **** we are having to compete wth the mighty biro

Lower down its state ammers want Townsend but the spuds have no intention to selling to the ammers

The mirror spouts some Shyte

I said they were delusional for suggesting the club would spend £20 million on one player (it's not going to happen!).

Give it enough time and at some point Saints will sign a player for £20m. Might not be that many years away, especially with a huge rise in TV money from 2016/17 onwards.

Give it enough time and at some point Saints will sign a player for £20m. Might not be that many years away, especially with a huge rise in TV money from 2016/17 onwards.

I'm sure it will happen at some point. But my original point was in reference to a poster saying we should chuck down £20 million for Krychowiak this summer. Which will not happen.

If you're taking legal action against someone holding you to ransom for money they aren't entitled to, why would you chuck them the money?

The legal gripe is with Madrid, not Spurs. We can't do anything about that - but we can make sure we don't get entirely shafted by Madrid, by dragging them into court.

How are AM not entitled to the money?? He's their player who they can sell for as much/little as they feel to.

Nobody is also saying there is a legal gripe or issue with Spurs. It's quite clear who the parties are in this. I also fail to see how we will get shafted by taking a matter to court where we feel there is a breach of contract. We must be fairly confident of a win otherwise we wouldn't be considering it.

How are AM not entitled to the money?? He's their player who they can sell for as much/little as they feel to.

Nobody is also saying there is a legal gripe or issue with Spurs. It's quite clear who the parties are in this. I also fail to see how we will get shafted by taking a matter to court where we feel there is a breach of contract. We must be fairly confident of a win otherwise we wouldn't be considering it.

Because if they've got an agreement that we can buy him for £6.8m (by virtue of failing to complete the buy-out), then we aren't obliged to offer £11.5m+ (or whatever Spurs are offering).

Because if they've got an agreement that we can buy him for £6.8m (by virtue of failing to complete the buy-out), then we aren't obliged to offer £11.5m+ (or whatever Spurs are offering).

The contract stated that if we bid the agreed fee for TA it would be accepted, not that we would automatically sign him. The contract has ended.

It's also key to remember we've heard a very small part of one side of the story.

The contract stated that if we bid the agreed fee for TA it would be accepted, not that we would automatically sign him. The contract has ended.

It's also key to remember we've heard a very small part of one side of the story.

Have you seen the contract pal? You don't get much more ITK than that if you have! Tell us more...

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Supersonic....you haven't got your listening ears on!

So, am I right in thinking Atletico completely ignored Saints, didn't respond to any phone calls/emails/faxes etc. from Saints trying to get the deal done and just focused solely on Spurs?

You might be, but not one person in this thread actually knows.

*IMO

Agree with most of it, except the last 3 words.

Spurs have been riding along on our coat-tails as we huff and puff our way up the heirarchy of English football for far too long.

Hoddle, Pochettino, Mitchell, tried with J-Rod and Morgan, and now Toby.

I don't think spurs are even that interested - They want Mario Suarez. He's their real target. Together Madrid and Spurs have tried to fleece us and while that's been going on AM have completely taken their eye off the ball. We will meet them half way today and a deal will be done. It's going to be a great statement to our competitors.

Would be very nice...

just re-listened to the press conference and Koeman says "we had an option for the player, and Atletico are trying to pay back the option"...

have we actually paid Atletico the £6.8 million for Alderweireld?

just re-listened to the press conference and Koeman says "we had an option for the player, and Atletico are trying to pay back the option"...

have we actually paid Atletico the £6.8 million for Alderweireld?

He probably means the £1.5 million option buyout money.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jul/06/southampton-morgan-schneiderlin-27m-manchester-united?CMP=twt_gu

Interesting comment from RK that I haven't seen elsewhere about Toby's head maybe being turned by Spurs.

Also worth noting that Paul Mitchell would likely know the terms of our agreement with Atletico.

Like last season when Spurs thought poch had the inside track on Morgan and they offered 10 million because they thought that was the release fee in Morgan's contract. Would Mitchell be that privy to player contracts? I thought his job was to identify players who could do a job for saints? I thought the contract side of things was , as Ronald keeps mentioning, Les Reeds department.

So, am I right in thinking Atletico completely ignored Saints, didn't respond to any phone calls/emails/faxes etc. from Saints trying to get the deal done and just focused solely on Spurs?

Did not even let the tea lady answer the phone Shame in Athletico

Have you seen the contract pal? You don't get much more ITK than that if you have! Tell us more...

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

No I haven't seen it.

But like all football transfers, there has to be an agreement between the buying club and both the selling club + player before a transfer can happen. No deal will ever be "pay us £x and we'll just transfer the registration to you as the player needs to agree a contract of employment with said new club.

For example, Messi has a buy-out clause of over £200m. Let's say Saints meet this clause, we don't automatically get Messi - we need to agree a deal with him. If Messi doesn't want to come he's not our player.

What I'm trying to say is:

1) do we know Saints have actually met the agreed amount? We know there has been a bid but no idea if we have met it as far as I am aware. (Stand to be corrected if someone can provide evidence).

2) even if we have met the clause, as above, Toby needs to agree a deal with us. My gut feeling is that he is holding out for another move, despite what he quoted at the end of last season.

Like last season when Spurs thought poch had the inside track on Morgan and they offered 10 million because they thought that was the release fee in Morgan's contract. Would Mitchell be that privy to player contracts? I thought his job was to identify players who could do a job for saints? I thought the contract side of things was , as Ronald keeps mentioning, Les Reeds department.

From The March video Ross Wilson (Mitchell's replacement) was involved in negotiations alongside Reed so I would say that Mitchell would know most of the details unless that role has substantially changed.

As an aside, those who keep saying they aren't sure if Spurs are really interested in Toby...do you actually believe that? They are interested enough to have committed 11m to sign him and have agreed a 5 year contract at (according to reports) 50k a week. Quite some smokescreen!

This has overtures of the John Obi Mikel transfer from Lyn Oslo to Chelsea via Man Utd.

In the end the player said he wanted to sign for Chelsea who, almost 12 months after the saga started, paid £4m to Lyn Oslo (the stated original transfer fee) and £12m to Man Utd.

If Toby wants to sign for us, we'll get him, and probably for the £6.8m. If he wants to sign for Spurs they will probably have to pay the £6.8m to AM, and the balance to us, plus we get £1.5m from AM. Or some such. AM would be better off selling to us.

Now Les Reed knows how it feels not to have someone return your phone calls.

My view.

AM did not pay the £1.5m in time because at that point they did not have another offer on the table. As they are skint they couldn't afford to risk the money. Then Spurs rock up with a bid that is more attractive and AM try it on and pay us the buy out clause and hope that they get away with it. TBF I don't blame them, it is worth a go.

My view.

AM did not pay the £1.5m in time because at that point they did not have another offer on the table. As they are skint they couldn't afford to risk the money. Then Spurs rock up with a bid that is more attractive and AM try it on and pay us the buy out clause and hope that they get away with it. TBF I don't blame them, it is worth a go.

i think this is the most likely scenario to be fair.