Toby

washsaint

He will go, you're just setting yourself up for disappointment if you believe he will stay. In a way, I think the club want it done ASAP so we can use the money.

I have no doubt he wants to go and no doubt we're happy to sell him, but currently no-one is looking like meeting our valuation.

Why are some people thinking we need more new players, we're so short etc etc.

gk - Maarten, Davis, Gazzaniga, Forster, Britt

df -Cedric, Cuco, Gardos, Yoshida, Fonte, Bertrand, Targett, Stephens, McCarthy, +one other

mf - Morgan, Wanyama, Davis, Reed, JWP, Slattery. Obviously question mark over Morgan, he will be replaced with either 1 or 2 new MF additions when we get to that stage.

att - Juanmi, Rodriguez, Pelle, Long, Mane, Isgrove, Hesketh, Tadic, Gallagher, Mayuka, Gaston

As it stands, from last seasons team, we have lost Elia (big deal), Djuricic (big deal) and Clyne (will be missed), Toby (still qustion marks), and Forster (not sure for how long). Question marks still Over morgan.

We have gained...Slattery, Juanmi, Rodriguez, Gaston (for how long, who knows), Cuco, Maarten, Soures

so we are actually bigger squad wise than last season. The quality replacements will come when we need to make them.

We could quite conceivably be fielding an 11 without any English players which is a fairly significant shift from 18 months ago.

I'd take Rhodes over the mighty Juanmi any day of the week, yes.

Follow the spanish football do you? Or writing him off before you've seen more than 7 minutes on youtube?

You don't come across as someone who follows the English leagues much. Stick to the tired gifs mate.

As i said before this was pretty much a done deal at the weekend with Spurs. I'm not sure how the whole legal action will affect proceedings and nor are Spurs but they think he's their player - '99% done'. Will hopefully know more in the next couple of hours.

Source?

Cheers :)

Follow the spanish football do you? Or writing him off before you've seen more than 7 minutes on youtube?

You don't come across as someone who follows the English leagues much. Stick to the tired gifs mate.

Don't give him the airtime, clear wum.

I think he'll be included in squads this season though, not every week, but i can see him involved in cup games etc.

Its still quite a push to list him as part of a 1st team squad at the moment. He is only 16 years old, played a lot for the under 18's last season but hasn't established himself in the under 21's team.

If you are going to include Stephens, McCarthy, Hesketh and Gallagher, then why not Seager, McQueen, Turnbull, Mugabi and Gape etc? They are all too young to be listed in the 25 man squad anyway.

Meanwhile ....

SPURS ON VERGE OF ALDERWEIRELD DEAL

Toby Alderweireld is on the verge of signing for Tottenham Hotspur despite a dispute between Southampton and Atletico Madrid over the player, according to Sky sources.

It is understood the Belgium defender, 26, has completed a medical and agreed personal terms at Spurs after their chairman Daniel Levy spent the weekend in Madrid agreeing a deal to bring him to White Hart Lane.

The north London club are pressing ahead with the move despite Southampton, where Alderweireld spent last season on loan, considering legal action against Atletico for doing a deal with another club.

Meanwhile ....

SPURS ON VERGE OF ALDERWEIRELD DEAL

Toby Alderweireld is on the verge of signing for Tottenham Hotspur despite a dispute between Southampton and Atletico Madrid over the player, according to Sky sources.

It is understood the Belgium defender, 26, has completed a medical and agreed personal terms at Spurs after their chairman Daniel Levy spent the weekend in Madrid agreeing a deal to bring him to White Hart Lane.

The north London club are pressing ahead with the move despite Southampton, where Alderweireld spent last season on loan, considering legal action against Atletico for doing a deal with another club.

I suspect 'Sky Sources' are the journo on twitter and the Standard (which may itself have been based on the journo from twitter).

Not to say it's not happened of course, but there's plenty of doubt attached to it at the moment.

There's just too much info pointing towards Spurs for it not to be true imo.

That's the problem with the social media age it's like Chinese whispers. One person tweets something, then a few people re-tweet with add embleshiments, then some people blog it then some press post it up as news "with our sources understand".

I'm not saying he isn't going to spurs (I have no idea what's going on) but half the links/tweets/media stories on here seem to be re-hashes off the same story and the other half seem to just contradict each other. This golden age of social media means every Tom, **** and Harry is some ITK guru where as I suspect most of them haven't got a frickin clue what's really going on..

I think you're having a little mini meltdown of your own buddy. Still closing your eyes with your fingers in your ears over this Toby/Spurs business?

Not having a meltdown at all. I'm not closing my eyes at all. It still hasn't ever sat right with me, and still nothing has been officially announced by any reputable source. So we'll wait and see.

If this is what they call a meltdown, then fair enough. I won't be the one crying like a spoiled bratt if it doesn't happen. I guess Koeman is having a mini-meltdown as well then, with his eyes closed?

There are a crowd on here who scuffle around potential bad news like a bad smell, waiting to pick apart anyone who DARED to think positively.

Not having a meltdown at all. I'm not closing my eyes at all. It still hasn't ever sat right with me, and still nothing has been officially announced by any reputable source. So we'll wait and see.

If this is what they call a meltdown, then fair enough. I won't be the one crying like a spoiled bratt if it doesn't happen. I guess Koeman is having a mini-meltdown as well then, with his eyes closed?

There are a crowd on here who scuffle around potential bad news like a bad smell, waiting to pick apart anyone who DARED to think positively.

:nod:

I agree, but conversely, there are also a crowd who cannot abide posters who dare to challenge things the clubs actions, or ponder negative thoughts on something. The two extremes exist.

Actually, there is a crowd who scuffle around waiting to pick apart anyone who reads a situation slightly negatively or not in Saints favour. Loads more of that happening at the moment then the other way around.

I won't be crying like a brat either, just hoping that we can maintain our momentum for as long as possible whilst losing good players.

I agree' date=' but conversely, there are also a crowd who cannot abide posters who dare to challenge things the clubs actions, or ponder negative thoughts on something. The two extremes exist.[/quote']

I imagine they just mirror people's real life outlook both types can be annoying in large amounts...

I'm disappointed like others that it appears Toby is off to Spurs. Genuinely one of the best CB's I've seen Saints play with in 30 years watching them. But its not what disappoints me the most.

Toby can do how he likes and, if Spurs have since come in for him and he feels thats the move him/his wife want (i.e. to London), then thats his prerogative I guess. There is no loyalty in football any more, everyone knows that.

Whether we've messed up, Levy has been ruthless when negotiating with AM to make sure we've had communication cut off by them, whether AM have just played games for their own financial benefit or whether it is a mixture of all of these, what disappoints me the most is again Saints will somehow be made to look like the bad guys/petty in the media for trying to kick up a stink against a 'bigger' club.

I'm proud that our Club is run astutely and, whilst I admit sometimes we don't play hardball like we could do (on or off the pitch), I'd not want to become a Club that continually works underhandedly and unethically just to benefit themselves. Thats not the morals with which our Club has ever been run and I don't think it ever should be.

Football is about winning - I get that - but we showed last season we can win by doing things the right way. The honest way.

Compared to the old regime (Cortese etc.) I trust Reed, Rogers and Wilson - who are clearly the main negotiators - to act in the best interests of our Club - even if that means we occasionally lose out on something, or someone, we really want.

But I also trust Ronald and his team to get the best out of the players that are left when the serious games arrive in pre-season/Premier League.

Ultimately I for one will be glad when Toby finally signs on the dotted line somewhere and all this chaos of the past couple of weeks is over. Yes, I think it'll be Spurs but as long as we have genuinely done all we can to secure him, and done in the right way by sticking to our principles, then I can't blame Saints for anything in this situation.

The minority of bedwetters will bed-wet but the rest of us will look forward to getting behind the Club in what hopefully will be another enjoyable season.

You were a mess last summer, more prone than most to hysteria and meltdown. Where's this new found stoicism come from?

Whether we've messed up, Levy has been ruthless when negotiating with AM to make sure we've had communication cut off by them, whether AM have just played games for their own financial benefit or whether it is a mixture of all of these, what disappoints me the most is again Saints will somehow be made to look like the bad guys/petty in the media for trying to kick up a stink against a 'bigger' club. /QUOTE]

Levy hasd the advantage of being well versed in dealing with Europe's biggest clubs whereas we do not really have that experience yet. Obviously we've sold players to some of them but that's not too difficult if the players are of real quality. When it comes to buying high class players you need a different kind of mentality.What we are yet to learn is that all is fair in love, war and top class football.

Edited by Window Cleaner

I'm disappointed like others that it appears Toby is off to Spurs. Genuinely one of the best CB's I've seen Saints play with in 30 years watching them. But its not what disappoints me the most.

Toby can do how he likes and, if Spurs have since come in for him and he feels thats the move him/his wife want (i.e. to London), then thats his prerogative I guess. There is no loyalty in football any more, everyone knows that.

Whether we've messed up, Levy has been ruthless when negotiating with AM to make sure we've had communication cut off by them, whether AM have just played games for their own financial benefit or whether it is a mixture of all of these, what disappoints me the most is again Saints will somehow be made to look like the bad guys/petty in the media for trying to kick up a stink against a 'bigger' club.

I'm proud that our Club is run astutely and, whilst I admit sometimes we don't play hardball like we could do (on or off the pitch), I'd not want to become a Club that continually works underhandedly and unethically just to benefit themselves. Thats not the morals with which our Club has ever been run and I don't think it ever should be.

Football is about winning - I get that - but we showed last season we can win by doing things the right way. The honest way.

Compared to the old regime (Cortese etc.) I trust Reed, Rogers and Wilson - who are clearly the main negotiators - to act in the best interests of our Club - even if that means we occasionally lose out on something, or someone, we really want.

But I also trust Ronald and his team to get the best out of the players that are left when the serious games arrive in pre-season/Premier League.

Ultimately I for one will be glad when Toby finally signs on the dotted line somewhere and all this chaos of the past couple of weeks is over. Yes, I think it'll be Spurs but as long as we have genuinely done all we can to secure him, and done in the right way by sticking to our principles, then I can't blame Saints for anything in this situation.

The minority of bedwetters will bed-wet but the rest of us will look forward to getting behind the Club in what hopefully will be another enjoyable season.

:thumbup:

I think Turnbull could step up well. Certainly if Toby is here, he would compete well with Gardos and Yoshi for back up. Wouldn't need more than those 5 I doubt.

Thought Turnbull was pants when I watched him play for Swindon, Stephens has got the better chance in my opinion.

Suspect both will be loaned out again next season

Edited by ErwinK1961

People say we screwed up somehow... um, what if Toby just wanted to go to Spurs instead? What were we supposed to do, force him to sign for us? Seriously.

That is entirely possible but most were clinging on to a soundbite saying that he wanted to stay with us. Footballers are notorious for throw away comments such as that and yet fans cling to them like tablets of fire cast down from some sacred mount or other.

One thing i've not really understood with the whole Toby thing is why AM are so happy to let a versatile champions league quality defender go for what is basically peanuts in the modern game... The AM fans dont seem to give a single **** about it.

Now don't get me wrong he was brilliant for us but... so was Lovren and Lyon seemed pretty keen to let him go cheap as well. Im sure that the chances of us simply having the magic touch with CB's is slim but you do have to wonder.

That is entirely possible but most were clinging on to a soundbite saying that he wanted to stay with us. Footballers are notorious for throw away comments such as that and yet fans cling to them like tablets of fire cast down from some sacred mount or other.

I see this. I thought RK admitted after being put on the spot about the timing that Toby made those comments at the end of the season. A few months ago and a lot has changed since then.

People say we screwed up somehow... um, what if Toby just wanted to go to Spurs instead? What were we supposed to do, force him to sign for us? Seriously.

If that was the case it would be nice for the club (and club leaks) to stop talking about how he would be happy to join Saints and we're trying to sign him and believe we're entitled to. It makes us look stupid.

If he's chosen Spurs then it makes this legal battle a little more fun for me - a chance to screw Atletico and / or Spurs for a bit.

I see this. I thought RK admitted after being put on the spot about the timing that Toby made those comments at the end of the season. A few months ago and a lot has changed since then.

RK also said he had spoken recently but that would remain private (fair enough)

You were a mess last summer, more prone than most to hysteria and meltdown. Where's this new found stoicism come from?

There were points at last summer where everyone had a wobble, if you didn't at some stage you'd be lying. Yes, I wasn't happy when I saw Chambers go. It seemed at the time as if the departures were spiraling out of control, and so did the club seemingly - who put a quick stop on it once it got to ridiculous levels. I don't think any normal saints fan would have been calm and positive throughout last summer.

We were dealing with what you'd say is an unknown quantity in terms of a setup, no one really knew the motives or what the long-term plans were. I think if you even speak to people in the club, they had a bit of a nightmare last summer as well - I doubt it was enjoyable on that side, albeit probably not half as OTT as the media often reported. But they earned our trust, by the end of the window they had assembled us a squad which was competitive, strong and exciting. The management setup, as well as coaching staff, was of a high quality - and the performances throughout the season were a joy to watch. Unearthing jems like Mane is what makes football fun for clubs like us.

This summer is totally and utterly different. For one, they should have earned our trust. And secondly, everything is much more settled. The club know what they're doing and they'll do it their way. There will be hysteria if Toby goes elsewhere, but the club have stuck to their principles on this one and AM have seemingly just bulldozed through it.

We know the situation with Morgan as well, I think we have a fee we want - but as the window counts down, I think the fee will reduce slightly. It's clear that he isn't going to sign a new deal and in my opinion I don't think the club will allow him to get to 1 year remaining, as they'll lose a hell of a lot of money on the star asset. I reckon we'll see a deal done for £20m with 5m add-ons sooner rather than later.

But basically, there's no reason for anyone to go over the top this summer. I'm looking forward to the new season, we have a settled setup and a talented young squad. European football should be a good laugh, and isn't somewhere I thought we'd be this time last year - that's for sure. I'll hold my hands up when I was wrong, and at stages last pre-season I was (although I'm still not a fan of Ralf..!). But I like to think I'm just a fan, passionate for my club to do well. Sometimes it can get pretty emotional and the emotions can dictate the reactions.

This is old stuff, more re-hash. The day after that came out....there was another story whereby he'd told Madrid/his father that he wanted to join us.

Also the quote that he can get flights to his home town easier. What a deal-clincher that is. And we also have an airport.