Toby

washsaint

Lol, I think those 2 tweets from the SSN 'reporter' say it all.

Lyall Thomas ‏@LyallThomas 4m4 minutes ago

#SaintsFC are still trying to complete a deal for Alderweireld. Sky sources understand they are waiting to hear back on an improved offer...

Lyall Thomas ‏@LyallThomas 5h5 hours ago

Sky sources; Toby Alderweireld is on the verge of signing for #Tottenham after completing medical, despite dispute between #SaintsFC + AM

Think I might go for a job as a Sports Reporter .............. get stuff wrong 90% of the time (probably higher even) and still keep your job. :scared:

Either that or a Met Man which has a 50% ratio ... it either will or will not rain. ;)

Sky Sports News producers decide on the 'throw enough sh!t' tactic in effort to be right at least once, according to Sky sources.

lol. I remember last transfer window, they broke news earlier in the day that they ''understood' a deal was close for someone.

Later in the day, they broke some more news, in that they ''understood'' a deal wasn't close. Excellent.

from Prattle, sorry, Twitter

talkSAINTS ‏@talkSAINTS 8m8 minutes ago

Sky Sports are reporting that Southampton have made an offer of €20m to Atlético Madrid, in order to sign Toby Alderweireld. #Saintsfc

Alex Goring Crook ‏@alex_crook 32m32 minutes ago

Just spoke to a very good contact at #thfc and they say Alderweireld was due at the club today for the usual pre signing photos #saintsfc

...apologies if already posted

I'd fully expect Sky Sports News to broadcast a "Sky Sources" piece if they told them the transfer window had suddenly been closed and Jim ****ing White had missed it. It seems it's not a particularly necessary part of journalism or broadcasting to actually validate and verify stories these days.

from Prattle, sorry, Twitter

talkSAINTS ‏@talkSAINTS 8m8 minutes ago

Sky Sports are reporting that Southampton have made an offer of €20m to Atlético Madrid, in order to sign Toby Alderweireld. #Saintsfc

Just spoke to a very good contact at #thfc and they say Alderweireld was due at the club today for the usual pre signing photos #saintsfc

...apologies if already posted

20M Euros, not too little, but probably too late.

Its such a shame that Sky Sports News has resorted to being a TV version of The Sun/Daily Star/Daily Mirror all rolled into one.

With their excellent coverage of live sport they really should be aiming higher than this on their flagship Sports News channel.

"was due" but didn't turn up or "was due" and turned up?

Journo in being vague enough to be interpreted in more than one way shocker.... ;)

Its such a shame that Sky Sports News has resorted to being a TV version of The Sun/Daily Star/Daily Mirror all rolled into one.

With their excellent coverage of live sport they really should be aiming higher than this on their flagship Sports News channel.

Sky's owned by Murdoch. What do you expect?

If we'd have offered £14 earlier instead of faffing we'd probably not have lost him to Spurs. Ooooops.

Unfortunately someone made a good point that the father/agent (if it was actually him) would probably have to deny any deal until he is sure the "legal battle" is over. Sounds like it's done to Spurs and Saints have reacted desperately with a late bid.

hopefully that's all nonsense and we'll sign Toby but not confident.

"was due" but didn't turn up or "was due" and turned up?

Journo in being vague enough to be interpreted in more than one way shocker.... ;)

The Titanic was "due" to arrive in New York.

Their problem is that sports news just doesn't happen 24 hours a day, so they either have to regurgitate the same news over and over all day until something new happens, or they create a false sense of stuff actually happening by reporting on what less-than-reliable sources are saying.

Since they took the slightly weird decision to push SSN to the top of the sports section of the Sky EPG at 401 (thereby completely ****ing up the channel numbering for their actual sport channels :sulk: ) they'd had to justify that by ensuring the content varies by the hour so people don't just switch on, see that the news hasn't changed, and then swiftly **** off to another channel. Hence why they have all these social media polls which Arsenal fans seem to strangely love rigging in their favour and continually refer to Twitter and Instagram when there's literally nothing else to say. They're catering for a certain audience, the short-attention-span monkeys who only want to hear stuff about what a big name had for breakfast #chilling.

In summary: Sky Sports News :spaz:

Their problem is that sports news just doesn't happen 24 hours a day, so they either have to regurgitate the same news over and over all day until something new happens, or they create a false sense of stuff actually happening by reporting on what less-than-reliable sources are saying.

Since they took the slightly weird decision to push SSN to the top of the sports section of the Sky EPG at 401 (thereby completely ****ing up the channel numbering for their actual sport channels :sulk: ) they'd had to justify that by ensuring the content varies by the hour so people don't just switch on, see that the news hasn't changed, and then swiftly **** off to another channel. Hence why they have all these social media polls which Arsenal fans seem to strangely love rigging in their favour and continually refer to Twitter and Instagram when there's literally nothing else to say. They're catering for a certain audience, the short-attention-span monkeys who only want to hear stuff about what a big name had for breakfast #chilling.

For anyone slightly OCD....Sky Sports 1 on channel 402 is utterly irritating!!!!!!

They do have some ok aspects ;)

From THFC, Levy in Madrid for weekend to tie up transfer, Medical done Monday (whenever), Terms agreed so why isn't it all done and dusted? Problems? If it isn't announced shortly it could get interesting.

you have to love SSNs social media round up.

you get that a bit on BBCs gossip column. "Best of social media". brilliant :uhoh:

I mean, who cares that Roberto Soldado wants to go for some food with Nabil Bentaleb

or that Rio Ferdinand thinks Barcelona have signed a good player in Turan

Can they 'un-accept' an offer that they've already agreed?!

They can accept more than one offer. In that case it's up to the player what he does. They can also accept one offer and reject a higher one from elsewhere if they wish.

They can accept more than one offer. In that case it's up to the player what he does. They can also accept one offer and reject a higher one from elsewhere if they wish.

Yep, I think they have accepted Spurs offer but maybe Toby is doing the right thing and waiting, he may have also had a medical, that doesn't mean he still has to sign for them. Maybe we kicked up a fuss about the contract to stall it then went to AM with an offer anyway with a veiled threat of if you don't deal with us you'll get nothing as we'll sue...

But they can't reject a lower offer that they've already accepted?

I'm just trying to establish why it's worth us bidding €20m to 'trump' Spurs, if their offer has already been accepted and cannot be 'undone' - surely if the playing is stalling then we just need to match the Spurs offer, especially as we have the £1.5m to play with too?

Obviously if bidding €20m means they turn to us and blow Spurs out, then I'm all for it. But I'm not sure if they can, especially as they seem quite far down the line.

But they can't reject a lower offer that they've already accepted?

I'm just trying to establish why it's worth us bidding €20m to 'trump' Spurs, if their offer has already been accepted and cannot be 'undone' - surely if the playing is stalling then we just need to match the Spurs offer, especially as we have the £1.5m to play with too?

Obviously if bidding €20m means they turn to us and blow Spurs out, then I'm all for it. But I'm not sure if they can, especially as they seem quite far down the line.

it is probably media bollix anyway

This is now hilarious.

I think the best part being someone saying Toby was at Spurs for a medical and then his dad stating that no deals have been done yet, just talks.

If Toby signs for us,all the Spurs fans on Twitter are going to explode. Toys will be thrown into the corner, feet will be stamped.

This is now hilarious.

I think the best part being someone saying Toby was at Spurs for a medical and then his dad stating that no deals have been done yet, just talks.

If Toby signs for us,all the Spurs fans on Twitter are going to explode. Toys will be thrown into the corner, feet will be stamped.

This i think is why the club are even more determined to get Toby, Cause it is getting one over a so called top 6 team.

Well, Spurs' transfer process appears to have stalled at the "Release picture of player smiling and holding up shirt" stage, which is very telling.

Even if they try that one, I suspect that there's still a lot of legal wrangling ahead.

Toby is an excellent player and dovetailed really well with Fonte and Bertrand, but he's not irreplaceable and I frankly don't think he's as durable as we need him to be. If we keep him, great. If we miss out, I have faith that management already has plans in place to sign a more than adequate replacement. The same goes for the Schneiderlin situation. I'm sure they have carefully considered plans for just about every contingency, so I'm happy to sit back and let them do their job.

We, like most clubs, are in that period of mid-Summer uncertainty that comes along every year. The only certainty at this time of year is that there will be several posters on here competing for the "Biggest-ever waste of semen" award.

Sorry, such sensible post like this are not allowed on here. Please amend.