Saints vs Hull - Build Up

Lighthouse

Give Seager a go!

And if he did get a game and we didn't score, I would have to wade through a zillion comments about how Koeman has made the wrong decision, he doesn't know what he's doing etc etc.

Go with the best team, the side that knows each other the best. Makes no sense to play around with young players now.

Balls to defending - we need to score and win

--------- Kelv. --------

Clyne - Fonte - Toby - Ryan

------ Morgan --------

Djuricic - JWP - Tadic

--- Mane - Long ----

In a kind of 4 -2 -4

Subs - Cropper, Yoshi, VW, Ellia, Pelle, Steve D, Reed

Could Wanyama be rested

Kevin Friend appointed referee for this one

This may now be a good idea.

Fingers crossed the fans are a bit more up for it this weekend, been poor recently and full support needed for the run-in.

Someone sent me this pic today of Marseille v PSG from Sunday

zl3wa9.jpg

That stadium was a mad, noisy place when it had open sides, must be a bearpit these days.

Didn't work without Vic last game. We aren't solid enough without him.

All the more reason to not play him unless needed during the 90, as he could well miss two important games that on paper are much harder than Hull at home.

pathetic ref. Along with Jonathan Moss, the worst in the league

Lee Mason who we had at Everton was pants too, never seen Morgan have a full on rant at a ref, including a open handed forehead slap to emphasise the point he was making as to just how crap he was, he had to get Jose over to shut him up.

vic has not been booked for a couple of games. He must be near the threshold where he wont face a ban...i sure he had to go 5 games without getting a yellow so not to be banned for 2 more games??

After 2nd Sunday in April, i.e. Sunday 12th. So one more game to go.

Vic To Come On at half time.

Davis to return.

4-1-3-1-1 System.

Elia left, Davis middle, long right, Mane Free role, Pelle upfront.

Schneiderlin holding

Nobody plays the left side better than Elia.

Edited by Andy Durman

I thought Americans never described themselves as either 'americans' or 'yanks' but that's just me being suspicious. Whatever TexSaint's judgement on you, I'll go with it ;)

I never describe myself at all.

All this Pelle hate is a little bit tedious, and incredibly over the top.

He is a good player, he wouldn't have already scored 12/13 goals as he has if he wasn't a good player. And poor players don't have the ability to score that overhead he did against QPR.

He isn't a great player, but he's a good player. More than good enough for us. He's struggling with form, as a lot of top strikers do over the course of the season. The most important thing for me is that Koeman trusts him, he knows him better than any of us, so I judge his decisions over the whines on here.

All this Pelle hate is a little bit tedious, and incredibly over the top.

He is a good player, he wouldn't have already scored 12/13 goals as he has if he wasn't a good player. And poor players don't have the ability to score that overhead he did against QPR.

He isn't a great player, but he's a good player. More than good enough for us. He's struggling with form, as a lot of top strikers do over the course of the season. The most important thing for me is that Koeman trusts him, he knows him better than any of us, so I judge his decisions over the whines on here.

If we are to be a top 6 challenger, his form this season is simply not good enough. Let's hope he gets better next year

If we are to be a top 6 challenger, his form this season is simply not good enough. Let's hope he gets better next year

We are 1 point behind 6th after 31 games... we are already a "top 6 challenger" with Pelle in the team! Okay, he hasn't scored for a long time, nor assisted many recently but that doesn't mean he isn't contributing. A lot of our play goes through him.

After years of decline in the Football League watching dreadful football we've now got an Italian international striker and some turn against him. Fickle lot football fans. :D

We are 1 point behind 6th after 31 games... we are already a "top 6 challenger" with Pelle in the team! Okay, he hasn't scored for a long time, nor assisted many recently but that doesn't mean he isn't contributing. A lot of our play goes through him.

After years of decline in the Football League watching dreadful football we've now got an Italian international striker and some turn against him. Fickle lot football fans. :D

I am more annoyed with our inability to get some support in for Pelle in January than I am Pelle's form. It isn't for lack of effort so we just deal with the limitations of the player (and the circumstance of him being shattered and it his first season etc.). But criminal we didn't strengthen in January.

I was on about next season and the 1 after that

Jwp didnt look too bad against everton, I rate the lad in that role, he needs to bulk up a bit but his movement and passing are improving (they were already good) alternatively we may have Davis back ? Or even play Tadic, Manè and long behind pellè, or leave Pellè out, replace long with him and play ellia in one of the wide berths.

All in all I dont see the requirement to play our best CM out of position, he is far too important in transition and besides I can see us 'resting' Wanyama this weekend anyway.

When it comes down to it, we shouldn't need two defensive midfielders at home against a bottom half side. I call this the "West Brom Learning Experience" (though Pulis has somewhat stuffed that up by since making them a top half side).

We need one holding midfielder - which in matches where we have the ball most of the time should be Schneiderlin rather than Wanyama, and one deep-lying playmaker to get the ball forward quickly and show for options inside once it's gone wide to give the defence something to think about other than just defending a run down the wing.

The long and short of it is there's only so far you can go without a world-class game-changing creative player, and we've hit that ceiling. We don't have a Coutinho, or a Sanchez, or an Ozil, or a Mata, Hazard, Aguero. We score goals through moving teams around and exploiting defensive weakness, rather than someone doing something spectacular or unstoppable.

Sometimes that doesn't allow for many good efforts on goal to be created, and as a result of that the focus falls more closely on our finishing if we miss the ones we do create. It's long been the case that we're a team that creates good situations but not necessarily good goalscoring opportunities.

When it comes down to it, we shouldn't need two defensive midfielders at home against a bottom half side. I call this the "West Brom Learning Experience" (though Pulis has somewhat stuffed that up by since making them a top half side).

We need one holding midfielder - which in matches where we have the ball most of the time should be Schneiderlin rather than Wanyama, and one deep-lying playmaker to get the ball forward quickly and show for options inside once it's gone wide to give the defence something to think about other than just defending a run down the wing.

I agree with that theory, we really shouldn't need Wanyama and Schneiderlin, but that approach really didn't work against Burnley.

The long and short of it is there's only so far you can go without a world-class game-changing creative player, and we've hit that ceiling. We don't have a Coutinho, or a Sanchez, or an Ozil, or a Mata, Hazard, Aguero. We score goals through moving teams around and exploiting defensive weakness, rather than someone doing something spectacular or unstoppable.

Sometimes that doesn't allow for many good efforts on goal to be created, and as a result of that the focus falls more closely on our finishing if we miss the ones we do create. It's long been the case that we're a team that creates good situations but not necessarily good goalscoring opportunities.

I'd completely agree with all that as well, best summation of where we are from an attacking point of view.

I agree with that theory, we really shouldn't need Wanyama and Schneiderlin, but that approach really didn't work against Burnley.

To be fair to Burnley, they came to attack which they've done all season in a way most sides in the bottom half don't - plus we won 2-0, and we were a goal up before the (very sensible) move of sticking Wanyama on to give us more defensive solidity once we'd got ahead.

If nothing else it showed how far we'd come since Wigan gave us a lesson in Premier League level game management in our first home match back in the Prem.

Disagree completely. As shown in the recent Burnley game the balance of the team was all wrong without the usual 2 centre mids and we were lucky to get away without conceding. Personally i'd like to have an alternative for the role like we had when we had Cork who whilst lacking Vic's presence was excellent at moving the ball around.

I think we'll start brightly but importantly not score, with Pelle shanking his shots and us lumping hopeful balls to him. Then in their first attack they will capitalise on Kelv not coming off his line and go ahead. It will be Gaston, of course. We'll bring on Mane on 60 minutes to try and get something happening but too late and we'll lose 1-0. This board will go ballistic and I will continually mourn us not getting Defoe as he scores yet another worldy elsewhere. Kevin Friend will turn down a penalty in which Ward Prose has his leg actually hacked off by a fouling defender, mistaking Hull for his beloved Liverpool. Spurs will win and sing our bloody song again. I will kick the cat. OR. I will ignore the game completely and as a result we will win convincingly, Pelle getting a hat trick.

I think we'll start brightly but importantly not score, with Pelle shanking his shots and us lumping hopeful balls to him. Then in their first attack they will capitalise on Kelv not coming off his line and go ahead. It will be Gaston, of course. We'll bring on Mane on 60 minutes to try and get something happening but too late and we'll lose 1-0. This board will go ballistic and I will continually mourn us not getting Defoe as he scores yet another worldy elsewhere. Kevin Friend will turn down a penalty in which Ward Prose has his leg actually hacked off by a fouling defender, mistaking Hull for his beloved Liverpool. Spurs will win and sing our bloody song again. I will kick the cat. OR. I will ignore the game completely and as a result we will win convincingly, Pelle getting a hat trick.

how can Gaston play against us...?

Aziz Yebda isn't Glasgow. I think you may have met him, actually...

Neither am I. My name is Yuki Sake. I am now aware of why people keep mentioning Glasgow and find it quite narrow minded that someone with a clear non British username is not believed, just like the American person.

There doesn't appear to be a great cultural tollerance on this messageboard, but thats the way it goes I suppose.

Just because "you" invented the game it does not automatically mean you reserve the rights to have an opinion on it.

All good fun though, mostly.

Yuki.

Neither am I. My name is Yuki Sake. I am now aware of why people keep mentioning Glasgow and find it quite narrow minded that someone with a clear non British username is not believed, just like the American person.

There doesn't appear to be a great cultural tollerance on this messageboard, but thats the way it goes I suppose.

Just because "you" invented the game it does not automatically mean you reserve the rights to have an opinion on it.

Yuki.

I do not think you are Glasgow.

He was/is an utter moron who thought he knew stuff about the game.

we had a manager called George Burley and Glasgow Saint thought he was a brilliant manager and got angry when people dared to question him.

hopefully, you will not prove to be utterly clueless like he was/is

Yuki.

Pal, you don't write like a Japanese person - in terms of syntax and expression. And I've drunk but never seen 'sake' used as a surname before. Two pretty handy accessories for a decent windup.

Pal, you don't write like a Japanese person - in terms of syntax and expression. And I've drunk but never seen 'sake' used as a surname before. Two pretty handy accessories for a decent windup.

Then you have not seen every Japanese name, as there are others in my family of the same name, which predates the drink that you are aware of. Incidentally I know a British family with the surname Beer.

I am a student at the University of Sussex. There are quite a few lecturers from Japan here also. They speak and write good English, just like there are some (few) English who can write well in other languages.

I not a football expert, but since Maya joined the Saints and I moves here to study, I have become a fan. I hope that is ok with you, my friend.

Yuki.

At least you've not been accused of being a trucker called Colin. You've got off lightly!

Disagree completely. As shown in the recent Burnley game the balance of the team was all wrong without the usual 2 centre mids and we were lucky to get away without conceding. Personally i'd like to have an alternative for the role like we had when we had Cork who whilst lacking Vic's presence was excellent at moving the ball around.

Ok, well your opinion is wrong. :D

As I've already said, Burnley, unlike every other bottom half side we've played, came to attack, which was the only reason we looked exposed. Long and short of it, in a shoot out where both teams are open and attacking we should beat Burnley 9 times out of 10. The 1 was earlier in the season. Second time around, we scored first, and we shut the game down after that, which was perfectly fine. I was actually calling for Wanyama to come on - but not until after we'd taken the lead.

Yuki.

Do the Japanese eat Cabbage?