Saints vs Hull - Build Up

Lighthouse

I'd be tempted to do that, if we're honest we shouldn't need 2 'holding' midfielders for this game. Just throw the attack at them.

I thought that for the Burnely game at home, we were toilet until half time when he came on.

Vic seems to look ok without Morgan next to him but the other way round Morgan looks a bit lost to me?!

To be fair to Burnley, they came to attack which they've done all season in a way most sides in the bottom half don't - plus we won 2-0, and we were a goal up before the (very sensible) move of sticking Wanyama on to give us more defensive solidity once we'd got ahead.

If nothing else it showed how far we'd come since Wigan gave us a lesson in Premier League level game management in our first home match back in the Prem.

I remember that game showing that Fonte wasn't going to cut it in the Premier League...

This Yuki character is quite nicely drawn in fairness.

Think I might create a foreign fan alter ego for myself.

Listen everyone. Lets just say I recently met a Bolivian student who enrolled at Southampton Solent to do business studies back in September and who has fallen in love with the Saints. And let's say I recommended he join the forum. And let's say his name is Sherberto Dippia. He may be on the forum in the next twenty minutes. Please make him feel welcome. His English is not how you say perfect thank you please.

After learning that Kevin(no) Friend of Saints is the Ref on Saturday my confidence in a Saints victory against Hull has diminished somewhat.He was biased in favour of the Scousers again last night and the possibility of a repeat of his performance against us should have RK and the Board refusing (a la Everton and Clattenberg) to let him anywhere near St.Marys.

Rant over.

I remember that game showing that Fonte wasn't going to cut it in the Premier League...

I remember that game showing that Fonte wasn't quite up to Prem speed yet. To be fair he still has the odd glitch, that back-pass to van Persie (?) for one. Luckily for us he learns from his mistakes quickly and tends not to make them again.

It did show that Wigan were very good at killing the game off at 1-0 up away from home, considering they were Wigan and all...

After learning that Kevin(no) Friend of Saints is the Ref on Saturday my confidence in a Saints victory against Hull has diminished somewhat.He was biased in favour of the Scousers again last night and the possibility of a repeat of his performance against us should have RK and the Board refusing (a la Everton and Clattenberg) to let him anywhere near St.Marys.

Rant over.

I didn't think he showed any bias towards Liverpool even when they played us, he just won't give penalties and all of the major decisions were in the box. He was the same last night, doesn't give penalties, but will give fouls everywhere else on the pitch for players who just fall over rather than actually being fouled. Top sides with European experience tend to do this more than others. Can't see how or why he would be discriminating in favour of Hull anyway - though they did play in the Europa League recently for about ten seconds.

I think you're misunderstanding the nature of the tactics. Until we scored (which was 4 minutes before half time) it was a relatively open game, from which you'd expect the side in the top 6 to beat the side in the bottom 3 pretty much every time, especially as we still had the better defence even without Wanyama. When we scored, we protected the lead.

Had we been playing with both Wanyama and Schneiderlin we probably wouldn't have had as many defensive scares, but we certainly wouldn't have created as many chances either. Hindsight shows Koeman got it spot on, even though we lost the first choice keeper we STILL didn't concede and he was right to start with a more attacking side and get the goal before shutting the game down. It has nothing to do with "we were toilet", it has everything to do with the balance of defending and attacking players, and needing to win home games against weaker teams.

Plus, as I've said numerous times already, most bottom sides won't even try to attack like Burnley, and will be happy to kill time and play for a 0-0, meaning the onus is very much on Saints to be more attacking, knowing the away team won't offer much attacking threat even if we do have one fewer defensive player than usual. West Brom home at the start of the season was the very definition of Saints being too defensive and not threatening enough. We were never going to concede in that game, but we didn't look attacking enough to score either. Top 6 sides go out to win these games, and Saints in particular need all the players going forward that we can afford to get a goal. Once we're leading I don't care if we stick 11 players on the goalline, but you don't win matches without scoring at least once.

Edited by The9

I think you're misunderstanding the nature of the tactics. Until we scored (which was 4 minutes before half time) it was a relatively open game, from which you'd expect the side in the top 6 to beat the side in the bottom 3 pretty much every time, especially as we still had the better defence even without Wanyama. When we scored, we protected the lead.

Had we been playing with both Wanyama and Schneiderlin we probably wouldn't have had as many defensive scares, but we certainly wouldn't have created as many chances either. Hindsight shows Koeman got it spot on, even though we lost the first choice keeper we STILL didn't concede and he was right to start with a more attacking side and get the goal before shutting the game down. It has nothing to do with "we were toilet", it has everything to do with the balance of defending and attacking players, and needing to win home games against weaker teams.

Plus, as I've said numerous times already, most bottom sides won't even try to attack like Burnley, and will be happy to kill time and play for a 0-0, meaning the onus is very much on Saints to be more attacking, knowing the away team won't offer much attacking threat even if we do have one fewer defensive player than usual. West Brom home at the start of the season was the very definition of Saints being too defensive and not threatening enough. We were never going to concede in that game, but we didn't look attacking enough to score either. Top 6 sides go out to win these games, and Saints in particular need all the players going forward that we can afford to get a goal. Once we're leading I don't care if we stick 11 players on the goalline, but you don't win matches without scoring at least once.

Think we were rocked in that first half by Forster's injury too, we were all over the place.

Wouldn't be surprised to see a middle three of Davis Morgan and JWP.

I'd be tempted to start JWP in that no 10 role for the rest of the season, let him develop and get a run of games.

This Yuki character is quite nicely drawn in fairness.

Think I might create a foreign fan alter ego for myself.

Listen everyone. Lets just say I recently met a Bolivian student who enrolled at Southampton Solent to do business studies back in September and who has fallen in love with the Saints. And let's say I recommended he join the forum. And let's say his name is Sherberto Dippia. He may be on the forum in the next twenty minutes. Please make him feel welcome. His English is not how you say perfect thank you please.

Im not a great painter. But thank you. I have showed a lot of my friends this topic and they have enjoyed it. Some of them are trying to sign up as they like the EPL too.

The funniest part is that I am actually named Yuki Sake Ehime.

On the topic you would probably enjoy to read this:

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/life/2009/10/11/lifestyle/japans-top-100-most-common-family-names/#.VSaBsctwbqA

I have a friend with the family name Ohno (number 73) which I found normal until learning English!!

You will see also Yoshida on the list. Shame no footballer number 44!!

Yuki

Im not a great painter. But thank you. I have showed a lot of my friends this topic and they have enjoyed it. Some of them are trying to sign up as they like the EPL too.

I look forward to chatting to Miso Wagamama when he signs up.

i believe in you Yuki :thumbup: What is ur name in グラスゴーはゲイです type writing?

It's called kanji, Bear.

Pretty sure 私の間違いは、それはキャベツの顔ではありません is about right.

Edited by The9

特に英語に物事を変換する。

For instance, 特に英語に物事を変換する。becomes "In particular I want to convert the things in English" despite me putting it in as "particularly to translate back to English" originally.

This is only improved by actually getting Google to say it back at you.

Disappointed to find my username in Japanese translates as "9". Rather unimpressive.

I had a job once of translating Japanese technical manuels to English and found the easiest way was to disregard the Japenese and get the originals that they had copied 15 years ealier.

manuel-que.jpg

manuel-que.jpg

Edited by The9

Leave out Vic you must be joking. We were rubbish vs burley first half without him.

We were indeed. So better then to ensure he is available for Stoke away and Spurs at home seeing as the Hull game is the last before the 10 yellow cut off.

Might as well keep him on the bench and only use if needed.